• License of "debian/" directories

From Joel Ray Holveck@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 9 00:40:01 2020
    I'm currently asking my employer to let me upstream some changes I've
    got to some Debian packaging. Usually, they like to know what the
    license is.

What's the license of "debian/" directories in source packages? Not for
    native packages, but the packaging for third-party software. Is it the
    same as the upstream code, or does Debian own the copyright and have a particular license for that, or what?

I looked over the Policy Manual and the Legal FAQ, but didn't see an
    answer. Is this something that's been discussed before?

Best,
    joelh

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Paul Tagliamonte@21:1/5 to joelh@piquan.org on Fri Oct 9 01:30:02 2020
    Hey Joel,

It should be outlined in the debian/copyright file for the package in
    question

Paul

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 6:33 PM Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@piquan.org> wrote:

I'm currently asking my employer to let me upstream some changes I've
    got to some Debian packaging. Usually, they like to know what the
    license is.

What's the license of "debian/" directories in source packages? Not for native packages, but the packaging for third-party software. Is it the
    same as the upstream code, or does Debian own the copyright and have a particular license for that, or what?

I looked over the Policy Manual and the Legal FAQ, but didn't see an
    answer. Is this something that's been discussed before?

Best,
    joelh

--
    All programmers are playwrights, and all computers are lousy actors.

#define sizeof(x) rand()
    :wq

<div dir="ltr">Hey Joel,<div><br></div><div>It should be outlined in the debian/copyright file for the package in question</div><div><br></div><div>  Paul</div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 6:
    33 PM Joel Ray Holveck &lt;<a href="mailto:joelh@piquan.org">joelh@piquan.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">I&#39;m currently asking my
    employer to let me upstream some changes I&#39;ve <br>
    got to some Debian packaging.  Usually, they like to know what the <br> license is.<br>

What&#39;s the license of &quot;debian/&quot; directories in source packages?  Not for <br>
    native packages, but the packaging for third-party software.  Is it the <br> same as the upstream code, or does Debian own the copyright and have a <br> particular license for that, or what?<br>

I looked over the Policy Manual and the Legal FAQ, but didn&#39;t see an <br> answer.  Is this something that&#39;s been discussed before?<br>

Best,<br>
    joelh<br>

</blockquote></div><br clear="all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature">All programmers are playwrights, and all computers are lousy actors.<br><br>#define sizeof(x) rand()<br>:wq</div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hong Xu@21:1/5 to Joel Ray Holveck on Fri Oct 9 01:40:01 2020
    On 10/8/20 3:10 PM, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:
    I'm currently asking my employer to let me upstream some changes I've got to some Debian packaging.  Usually, they like to know what the license is.

What's the license of "debian/" directories in source packages?  Not for native packages, but the packaging for third-party software.  Is it the same as the upstream code, or does Debian own the copyright and have a particular license for that, or
    what?

I looked over the Policy Manual and the Legal FAQ, but didn't see an answer.  Is this something that's been discussed before?

Best,
    joelh
    Hi Joel,

This old thread is probably relevant: https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2018/09/msg00000.html

Seems like this is a negligence in enforcing Debian developers to explicitly license the Debian package source files.

Hong

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05