• [RFC PATCH 0/13] sparc32: sunset sun4m and sun4d

From Rick Leir@21:1/5 to Stan Johnson on Sun Dec 20 20:00:02 2020
    I have some sparcstations too, and would like to be able to use them, but honestly it's unlikely that I ever will. What's more, a modern linux experience is not possible due to limited RAM and disk. Not to mention the problem of keeping the hardware
    working.

The main Debian master has a KISS problem, we would do better to keep it simple stupid. I don't mean to insult anyone with this, maybe the phrase doesn't translate well. please don't take offense. Maybe the problem is all in my head. To keep it simple we
    should reduce the number of target architectures and maybe remove all but 64 bit.

For 32 bit Sparc we should freeze functionality, but keep fixing bugs. How can we choose the most reliable debian version as the basis for a bug fix branch?
    Imho
    Cheers
    Rick

On December 20, 2020 11:07:08 a.m. EST, Stan Johnson <userm57@yahoo.com> wrote: >I also have a couple of SPARCstation 5 systems that I'd like to be able
    to keep using.

-Stan Johnson

On 12/19/20 2:57 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
    On 12/19/20 10:40 PM, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
    Please keep the inputs coming independent if you are pro or not
    for the sunset of sun4m and sun4d.
    I would personally be in favor of keeping it and I should finally get
    my SPARCstation 5 up and running again.

Adrian

--
    Sorry for being brief. Alternate email is rickleir at yahoo dot com <html><head></head><body>I have some sparcstations too, and would like to be able to use them, but honestly it's unlikely that I ever will. What's more, a modern linux experience is not possible due to limited RAM and disk. Not to mention the problem of
    keeping the hardware working. <br><br>The main Debian master has a KISS problem, we would do better to keep it simple stupid. I don't mean to insult anyone with this, maybe the phrase doesn't translate well. please don't take offense. Maybe the problem
    is all in my head. To keep it simple we should reduce the number of target architectures and maybe remove all but 64 bit.<br><br>For 32 bit Sparc we should freeze functionality, but keep fixing bugs. How can we choose the most reliable debian version as
    the basis for a bug fix branch?<br>Imho<br>Cheers<br>Rick<br><br><div class="gmail_quote">On December 20, 2020 11:07:08 a.m. EST, Stan Johnson &lt;userm57@yahoo.com&gt; wrote:<blockqu