• Install Etch on Sparc NFS

From D J@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 24 06:50:01 2022
    Hello,

I have several Sparcclassic boxes but all the HDs are dead. I have a Sparc
    IPX that a few years ago I was able to install OpenDSB, copy the HD
    contents to my Debian file server, and then run the IPX diskless with the
    file system mounted via NFS. That HD since went bad but the IPX has been running fine on NFS for years now.

Either this was much easier to do with OpenBSD or I'm not nearly as smart
    as I was a few years ago. I don't remember what I had to do to get OpenBSD
    to boot off a NFS share like that, I don't remember having to compile a
    special kernel or anything.

I do remember the hard part being getting the server configured correctly. Bottom line is the server pieces are in place and I can netboot the Etch installer just fine.

I have found many posts, blogs, and web pages that have information on how
    to do this, but none seem to be complete and each seems to be different
    from the next. Many do not indicate which version of Debian, or even linux they were written for/about. It doesn't help that some of these
    instructions rely on, and link to, other pages that no longer exist.
    Therefore I am at a loss as to what I need to do to get this to work.

Can Etch be installed directly to a NFS share from the Etch Sparc
    installer? I have seen information that there should be an option to
    install to a NFS share but I don't see it when I run the installer. I also netbooted the Woody installer but same thing.

If I have to install to a HD, what do I have to do to the installation
    after copying everything over to the share to get it to boot from NFS? Is there some special kernel build I need to do?

Any help of any kind pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    DJ

<div dir="auto">Hello,<div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">I have several Sparcclassic boxes but all the HDs are dead.  I have a Sparc IPX that a few years ago I was able to install OpenDSB, copy the HD contents to my Debian file server, and then
    run the IPX diskless with the file system mounted via NFS.  That HD since went bad but the IPX has been running fine on NFS for years now.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Either this was much easier to do with OpenBSD or I&#39;m not
    nearly as smart as I was a few years ago.  I don&#39;t remember what I had to do to get OpenBSD to boot off a NFS share like that, I don&#39;t remember having to compile a special kernel or anything.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">I do
    remember the hard part being getting the server configured correctly.  Bottom line is the server pieces are in place and I can netboot the Etch installer just fine.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">I have found many posts, blogs, and web
    pages that have information on how to do this, but none seem to be complete and each seems to be different from the next.  Many do not indicate which version of Debian, or even linux they were written for/about.  It doesn&#39;t help that some of these
    instructions rely on, and link to, other pages that no longer exist.  Therefore I am at a loss as to what I need to do to get this to work. </div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Can Etch be installed directly to a NFS share from the Etch
    Sparc installer?  I have seen information that there should be an option to install to a NFS share but I don&#39;t see it when I run the installer.  I also netbooted the Woody installer but same thing. </div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">
    If I have to install to a HD, what do I have to do to the installation after copying everything over to the share to get it to boot from NFS?  Is there some special kernel build I need to do?</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Any help of
    any kind pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Thanks, </div><div dir="auto">DJ</div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to D J on Mon Jan 24 10:10:01 2022
    Hi!

On 1/24/22 06:27, D J wrote:
    Can Etch be installed directly to a NFS share from the Etch Sparc installer? I have seen information that there should be an option to install to a NFS share but I don't see it when I run the installer. I also netbooted the Woody
    installer but same thing.

I don't think it's officially supported, but I don't see any particular reason why it shouldn't work.

FWIW, the network ("netboot") installer can be found here:

http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-sparc/current/images/sparc32/netboot/2.6/

Manual here: https://www.debian.org/releases/etch/sparc/ch05s01.html.en

If I have to install to a HD, what do I have to do to the installation after copying
    everything over to the share to get it to boot from NFS? Is there some special kernel
    build I need to do?

You don't need a special kernel. But you must provide the initrd over TFTP as well so that
    the kernel will be able to find its network drivers to mount the NFS filesystem.

And you need to pass the proper "root=" option so the kernel can find the root filesystem
    over the network.

Adrian

--
    .''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
    : :' : Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org
    `. `' Freie Universitaet Berlin - glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de
    `- GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From D J@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 25 03:20:01 2022
    Thanks for the response! I guess I didn't make it clear, but I am able to netboot both the Etch and Woody installers off my TFTP server, the install process goes just fine, but I can't find any option in either to install to
    a NFS share. I hit a dead end with either installer since they can't find
    a disk to install to, and I can't find an option to give the installer the path to the NFS share.

I found one blog where someone wrote that they did an install this way--but
    not how. It seems like this would be the nicest way to do the installs if
    it could be figured out, but my searching has turned up no clue how I would
    go about it.

I will read up on the initrd and see if I can figure out where to get or
    how to make one that will work.

Thanks,
    DJ

<div dir="auto">Thanks for the response!  I guess I didn&#39;t make it clear, but I am able to netboot both the Etch and Woody installers off my TFTP server, the install process goes just fine, but I can&#39;t find any option in either to install to a
    NFS share.  I hit a dead end with either installer since they can&#39;t find a disk to install to,  and I can&#39;t find an option to give the installer the path to the NFS share.<div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">I found one blog where someone
    wrote that they did an install this way--but not how.  It seems like this would be the nicest way to do the installs if it could be figured out, but my searching has turned up no clue how I would go about it. </div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="
    auto">I will read up on the initrd and see if I can figure out where to get or how to make one that will work.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Thanks, </div><div dir="auto">DJ</div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gregor Riepl@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 25 13:40:01 2022
    Perhaps you could do the base install with Debootstrap from another system?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05