• Updated Debian Ports installation images 2021-09-23

From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 23 11:30:02 2021
    Hi!

I have just built and uploaded updated Debian Ports installation images.

These images contain an updated apt-setup package which fixes the APT
    problem that occurred during installation with the 2021-09-21 images.

I have performed a successful test installation on sparc64 and will
    perform a test on ia64 on my RX2660 later as well.

I will provide more images updates in the following days which will
    contain more fixes such as for the hd-media installation as well as improvements on Apple PowerMac.

The images can be obtained from [1].

Thanks,
    Adrian

[1] https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2021-09-23/

--
    .''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
    : :' : Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org
    `. `' Freie Universitaet Berlin - glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de
    `- GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From James Bond@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 23 12:50:02 2021
    SGkgQWRyaWFuLA0KDQp0aGFua3MgYSBsb3Qgd2lsbCBpbnN0YW50bHkgZ2l2ZSBpdCBhIHRyeSBv biB0aGUgVWx0cmEgMTAuDQoNCkNoZWVycw0KDQpJZ2dpDQoNCu+7v0FtIDIzLjA5LjIxLCAxMToy NSBzY2hyaWViICJKb2huIFBhdWwgQWRyaWFuIEdsYXViaXR6IiA8Z2xhdWJpdHpAcGh5c2lrLmZ1 LWJlcmxpbi5kZT46DQoNCiAgICBIaSENCg0KICAgIEkgaGF2ZSBqdXN0IGJ1aWx0IGFuZCB1cGxv YWRlZCB1cGRhdGVkIERlYmlhbiBQb3J0cyBpbnN0YWxsYXRpb24gaW1hZ2VzLg0KDQogICAgVGhl c2UgaW1hZ2VzIGNvbnRhaW4gYW4gdXBkYXRlZCBhcHQtc2V0dXAgcGFja2FnZSB3aGljaCBmaXhl cyB0aGUgQVBUDQogICAgcHJvYmxlbSB0aGF0IG9jY3VycmVkIGR1cmluZyBpbnN0YWxsYXRpb24g d2l0aCB0aGUgMjAyMS0wOS0yMSBpbWFnZXMuDQoNCiAgICBJIGhhdmUgcGVyZm9ybWVkIGEgc3Vj Y2Vzc2Z1bCB0ZXN0IGluc3RhbGxhdGlvbiBvbiBzcGFyYzY0IGFuZCB3aWxsDQogICAgcGVyZm9y bSBhIHRlc3Qgb24gaWE2NCBvbiBteSBSWDI2NjAgbGF0ZXIgYXMgd2VsbC4NCg0KICAgIEkgd2ls bCBwcm92aWRlIG1vcmUgaW1hZ2VzIHVwZGF0ZXMgaW4gdGhlIGZvbGxvd2luZyBkYXlzIHdoaWNo IHdpbGwNCiAgICBjb250YWluIG1vcmUgZml4ZXMgc3VjaCBhcyBmb3IgdGhlIGhkLW1lZGlhIGlu c3RhbGxhdGlvbiBhcyB3ZWxsIGFzDQogICAgaW1wcm92ZW1lbnRzIG9uIEFwcGxlIFBvd2VyTWFj Lg0KDQogICAgVGhlIGltYWdlcyBjYW4gYmUgb2J0YWluZWQgZnJvbSBbMV0uDQoNCiAgICBUaGFu a3MsDQogICAgQWRyaWFuDQoNCiAgICA+IFsxXSBodHRwczovL2NkaW1hZ2UuZGViaWFuLm9yZy9j ZGltYWdlL3BvcnRzL3NuYXBzaG90cy8yMDIxLTA5LTIzLw0KDQogICAgLS0gDQogICAgIC4nJ2Au ICBKb2huIFBhdWwgQWRyaWFuIEdsYXViaXR6DQogICAgOiA6JyA6ICBEZWJpYW4gRGV2ZWxvcGVy IC0gZ2xhdWJpdHpAZGViaWFuLm9yZw0KICAgIGAuIGAnICAgRnJlaWUgVW5pdmVyc2l0YWV0IEJl cmxpbiAtIGdsYXViaXR6QHBoeXNpay5mdS1iZXJsaW4uZGUNCiAgICAgIGAtICAgIEdQRzogNjJG RiA4QTc1IDg0RTAgMjk1NiA5NTQ2ICAwMDA2IDc0MjYgM0IzNyBGNUI1IEY5MTMNCg0K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Bond@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 23 15:50:02 2021
    SGkgQWRyaWFuLA0KDQpvaywgd29ya3MgdGlsbCB5b3Ugc2VsZWN0IGEgIm5vbiBkZWZhdWx0IiBv cHRpb24gaW4gIlNlbGVjdCBhbmQgSW5zdGFsbCBzb2Z0d2FyZSIuIEkgc2VsZWN0ZWQgIkRlYmlh biBkZXNrdG9wIGVudmlyb25tZW50IiBpdCBmYWlscy4gV2VsbCBhZnRlciBmaW5pc2hpbmcgdGhl IGluc3RhbGxhdGlvbiBtYW51YWxseSBJIGFsc28gdHJpZWQgbXBsYXllciBldGMgYW5kIGl0IGxv b2tzIGxpa2UgdGhlIGJpbmFyeSBmaWxlcyBhcmUgbm90IGF2YWlsYWJsZSB0byBhcHQtZ2V0Lg0K DQpEZWJpYW4gY291bGQgYmUgc3VjaCBhIG5pY2UgYW5kIGFjdHVhbCBPUyBmb3Igb3VyIHJldHJv IGhhcmR3YXJlIGlmIHdlIHdvdWxkIGp1c3QgaGF2ZSBhICJkZWNlbnQiIFggZHJpdmVyIGZvciB0 aGUgbW9zdCBjb21tb24gZ3JhcGhpY3MgY2FyZHMgZmZiIGFuZCBtYWNoNjQvcmFkZW9uLiBBbmQg aXQgbG9va3MgbGlrZSBub3QgZXZlbiBzb21lb25lIGdldHRpbmcgcGFpZCB3YW50cyB0byBkbyBp dCAoSSB3b3VsZCBsb3ZlIHRvIGl0IGJ1dCBkdWUgdG8gYSBsYWNrIG9mIHNraWxscyBJIGNhbiBq dXN0IGJlIGEgc3BvbnNvcikuDQoNCkNoZWVycw0KDQpJZ2dpIA0KDQoNCg0K77u/QW0gMjMuMDku MjEsIDExOjI1IHNjaHJpZWIgIkpvaG4gUGF1bCBBZHJpYW4gR2xhdWJpdHoiIDxnbGF1Yml0ekBw aHlzaWsuZnUtYmVybGluLmRlPjoNCg0KICAgIEhpIQ0KDQogICAgSSBoYXZlIGp1c3QgYnVpbHQg YW5kIHVwbG9hZGVkIHVwZGF0ZWQgRGViaWFuIFBvcnRzIGluc3RhbGxhdGlvbiBpbWFnZXMuDQoN CiAgICBUaGVzZSBpbWFnZXMgY29udGFpbiBhbiB1cGRhdGVkIGFwdC1zZXR1cCBwYWNrYWdlIHdo aWNoIGZpeGVzIHRoZSBBUFQNCiAgICBwcm9ibGVtIHRoYXQgb2NjdXJyZWQgZHVyaW5nIGluc3Rh bGxhdGlvbiB3aXRoIHRoZSAyMDIxLTA5LTIxIGltYWdlcy4NCg0KICAgIEkgaGF2ZSBwZXJmb3Jt ZWQgYSBzdWNjZXNzZnVsIHRlc3QgaW5zdGFsbGF0aW9uIG9uIHNwYXJjNjQgYW5kIHdpbGwNCiAg ICBwZXJmb3JtIGEgdGVzdCBvbiBpYTY0IG9uIG15IFJYMjY2MCBsYXRlciBhcyB3ZWxsLg0KDQog ICAgSSB3aWxsIHByb3ZpZGUgbW9yZSBpbWFnZXMgdXBkYXRlcyBpbiB0aGUgZm9sbG93aW5nIGRh eXMgd2hpY2ggd2lsbA0KICAgIGNvbnRhaW4gbW9yZSBmaXhlcyBzdWNoIGFzIGZvciB0aGUgaGQt bWVkaWEgaW5zdGFsbGF0aW9uIGFzIHdlbGwgYXMNCiAgICBpbXByb3ZlbWVudHMgb24gQXBwbGUg UG93ZXJNYWMuDQoNCiAgICBUaGUgaW1hZ2VzIGNhbiBiZSBvYnRhaW5lZCBmcm9tIFsxXS4NCg0K ICAgIFRoYW5rcywNCiAgICBBZHJpYW4NCg0KICAgID4gWzFdIGh0dHBzOi8vY2RpbWFnZS5kZWJp YW4ub3JnL2NkaW1hZ2UvcG9ydHMvc25hcHNob3RzLzIwMjEtMDktMjMvDQoNCiAgICAtLSANCiAg ICAgLicnYC4gIEpvaG4gUGF1bCBBZHJpYW4gR2xhdWJpdHoNCiAgICA6IDonIDogIERlYmlhbiBE ZXZlbG9wZXIgLSBnbGF1Yml0ekBkZWJpYW4ub3JnDQogICAgYC4gYCcgICBGcmVpZSBVbml2ZXJz aXRhZXQgQmVybGluIC0gZ2xhdWJpdHpAcGh5c2lrLmZ1LWJlcmxpbi5kZQ0KICAgICAgYC0gICAg R1BHOiA2MkZGIDhBNzUgODRFMCAyOTU2IDk1NDYgIDAwMDYgNzQyNiAzQjM3IEY1QjUgRjkxMw0K DQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to James Bond on Thu Sep 23 16:20:01 2021
    Hello Iggi!

On 9/23/21 15:46, James Bond wrote:
    ok, works till you select a "non default" option in "Select and Install software". I selected "Debian desktop environment" it fails. Well after finishing the installation manually I also tried mplayer etc and it looks like the binary files are not available to apt-get.

It is not possible to provide any help if you're not providing any feedback.

You have most likely run into this issue:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2017/12/msg00060.html

Debian could be such a nice and actual OS for our retro hardware if we would just have a "decent" X driver for the most common graphics cards ffb and mach64/radeon. And it looks like not even someone getting paid wants to do it (I would love to it but due to a lack of skills I can just be a sponsor).

Paying a professional developer to work on such a driver would probably be much more expensive than some people throwing in some money. Software development is expensive and unless you find a hobbyist willing to work on the code, it won't be easy.

But the Debian package for the sunffb driver will most likely be worked on by Adrian
    Bunk as he said he would be looking into it. However, that probably won't happen
    before the Debian SPARC porterbox has found a new home.

You know, complaining about these issues is very easy but helping to get them fixed
    is much more difficult and just giving someone 50 Euros doesn't magically fix all
    these problems.

If you want these issues to be fixed, please consider helping with the work. The first
    step to this will be providing useful feedback messages with detailed error messages.
    This way, I have a chance to see where the problems are and start working on them.

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Connor McLaughlan on Thu Sep 23 22:30:01 2021
    Hi Connor!

On 9/23/21 22:16, Connor McLaughlan wrote:
    Unfortunately not all software in the repos and on snapshot are available
    or give a bus errors and won't work.
    For example all kde related stuff is not installable due to conflicts and missing packages.

It is possible to fix these issues, but for that, we need bug reports.

I trained a whole year on NetBSD Sparc64 to get everything up and running
    and then transplanted this knowledge to use pkgsrc on debian sparc64.
    It also is by now way working out of the box and needs lots of manual intervention, but lets you compile a lot of software with the exception of firefox52, thunderbird52, and an older seamonkey. These seem to be too optimised to run on NetBSD Sparc64. I'm stuck on bus errors for those while they do run on NetBSD sparc64.

Firefox on SPARC is actually maintained by Oracle. So, in principal we should be able to get it to work and I managed to get it to work in the past.

Debian sparc64 is an unofficial port and if i am not wrong, i think Adrian
    is almost the only person maintaining it.
    Also sparc is heavy on the decline and no mainstream OS used for desktop
    work anymore. So a lot of the bugs are not reported and visible upstream.
    And debian is one of the last linux distributions even to have a port. Once the kernel drops it (just happened to ia64), or Adrian stops supporting, i gues it will all be gone and i am forced back to NetBSD.

Not sure where you got the information that ia64 has been dropped from the kernel sources, it hasn't.

For now I found my peace in combining debian and pkgsrc. This will lead to
    a somehow complete desktop software collection.

That's ok. But I think it would also help if people started reporting bugs
    and help fix them. Bus errors in particular are not that difficult to fix.

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Connor McLaughlan@21:1/5 to glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de on Thu Sep 23 22:20:01 2021
    @Iggi:

You have several options which all require a lot of work.

Do as Adrian tells and manually collect needed packages from snapshot.debian.org
    This way you can get for example an old firefox (50) and an old version of Libreoffice installed and working.

Unfortunately not all software in the repos and on snapshot are available
    or give a bus errors and won't work.
    For example all kde related stuff is not installable due to conflicts and missing packages.

If you go further and use for example the packaging system pkgsrc from
    NetBSD, you can get alot of stuff to compile, like almost the complete kde software and also a lot of stuff can be compiled that is then running
    without a bus error.
    But this is even more advanced, it will take a lot of time and there a lot
    of compile problems to track on the internet and work around as this is optimized for NetBSD.
    I trained a whole year on NetBSD Sparc64 to get everything up and running
    and then transplanted this knowledge to use pkgsrc on debian sparc64.
    It also is by now way working out of the box and needs lots of manual intervention, but lets you compile a lot of software with the exception of firefox52, thunderbird52, and an older seamonkey. These seem to be too optimised to run on NetBSD Sparc64. I'm stuck on bus errors for those while they do run on NetBSD sparc64.

The reason why i want to use debian sparc64 instead of NetBSD is that on
    NetBSD there is a recent java, libreoffice, xrdp and more not available.

Debian sparc64 is an unofficial port and if i am not wrong, i think Adrian
    Also sparc is heavy on the decline and no mainstream OS used for desktop
    work anymore. So a lot of the bugs are not reported and visible upstream.
    And debian is one of the last linux distributions even to have a port. Once
    the kernel drops it (just happened to ia64), or Adrian stops supporting, i
    gues it will all be gone and i am forced back to NetBSD.

For now I found my peace in combining debian and pkgsrc. This will lead to

Regards,
    Connor

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 4:17 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz < glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

Hello Iggi!

On 9/23/21 15:46, James Bond wrote:
    ok, works till you select a "non default" option in "Select and Install software". I selected "Debian desktop environment" it fails. Well after finishing the installation manually I also tried mplayer etc and it looks like the binary files are not available to apt-get.

It is not possible to provide any help if you're not providing any
    feedback.

You have most likely run into this issue:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2017/12/msg00060.html

Debian could be such a nice and actual OS for our retro hardware if we
    would
    just have a "decent" X driver for the most common graphics cards ffb and mach64/radeon. And it looks like not even someone getting paid wants to
    do it
    (I would love to it but due to a lack of skills I can just be a sponsor).

Paying a professional developer to work on such a driver would probably be much
    more expensive than some people throwing in some money. Software
    development is
    expensive and unless you find a hobbyist willing to work on the code, it won't
    be easy.

But the Debian package for the sunffb driver will most likely be worked on
    by Adrian
    Bunk as he said he would be looking into it. However, that probably won't happen
    before the Debian SPARC porterbox has found a new home.

You know, complaining about these issues is very easy but helping to get
    them fixed
    is much more difficult and just giving someone 50 Euros doesn't magically
    fix all
    these problems.

If you want these issues to be fixed, please consider helping with the
    work. The first
    step to this will be providing useful feedback messages with detailed
    error messages.
    This way, I have a chance to see where the problems are and start working
    on them.

Adrian

--

<div dir="ltr"><div>@Iggi:</div><div><br></div><div>You have several options which all require a lot of work.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Do as Adrian tells and manually collect needed packages from <a href="http://snapshot.debian.org">snapshot.debian.
    org</a> <br></div><div></div><div>This way you can get for example an old firefox (50) and an old version of Libreoffice installed and working.</div><div><br></div><div>Unfortunately not all software in the repos and on snapshot are available or give a
    bus errors and won&#39;t work.</div><div>For example all kde related stuff is not installable due to conflicts and missing packages.</div><div><br></div><div>If you go further and use for example the packaging system pkgsrc from NetBSD, you can get alot
    of stuff to compile, like almost the complete kde software and also a lot of stuff can be compiled that is then running without a bus error.</div><div>But this is even more advanced, it will take a lot of time and there a lot of compile problems to track
    on the internet and work around as this is optimized for NetBSD.</div><div>I trained a whole year on NetBSD Sparc64 to get everything up and running and then transplanted this knowledge to use pkgsrc on debian sparc64.</div><div>It also is by now way
    working out of the box and needs lots of manual intervention, but lets you compile a lot of software with the exception of firefox52, thunderbird52, and an older seamonkey. These seem to be too optimised to run on NetBSD Sparc64. I&#39;m stuck on bus
    errors for those while they do run on NetBSD sparc64.</div><div><br></div><div>The reason why i want to use debian sparc64 instead of NetBSD is that on NetBSD there is a recent java, libreoffice, xrdp and more not available.</div><div><br></div><div>
    Debian sparc64 is an unofficial port and if i am not wrong, i think Adrian is almost the only person maintaining it.</div><div>Also sparc is heavy on the decline and no mainstream OS used for desktop work anymore. So a lot of the bugs are not reported
    and visible upstream.<br></div><div></div><div>And debian is one of the last linux distributions even to have a port. Once the kernel drops it (just happened to ia64), or Adrian stops supporting, i gues it will all be gone and i am forced back to NetBSD.<
    </div><div><br></div><div>For now I found my peace in combining debian and pkgsrc. This will lead to a somehow complete desktop software collection.<br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Regards,</div><div>Connor<br></div><div> <br></div><div><
    </div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 4:17 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz &lt;<a href="mailto:glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de">glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote
    class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Hello Iggi!<br>

On 9/23/21 15:46, James Bond wrote:<br>
    &gt; ok, works till you select a &quot;non default&quot; option in &quot;Select and Install<br>
    &gt; software&quot;. I selected &quot;Debian desktop environment&quot; it fails. Well after<br>
    &gt; finishing the installation manually I also tried mplayer etc and it looks<br>
    &gt; like the binary files are not available to apt-get.<br>

It is not possible to provide any help if you&#39;re not providing any feedback.<br>

You have most likely run into this issue:<br>

&gt; <a href="https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2017/12/msg00060.html" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2017/12/msg00060.html</a><br>

&gt; Debian could be such a nice and actual OS for our retro hardware if we would<br>
    &gt; just have a &quot;decent&quot; X driver for the most common graphics cards ffb and<br>
    &gt; mach64/radeon. And it looks like not even someone getting paid wants to do it<br>
    &gt; (I would love to it but due to a lack of skills I can just be a sponsor).<br>

Paying a professional developer to work on such a driver would probably be much<br>
    more expensive than some people throwing in some money. Software development is<br>
    expensive and unless you find a hobbyist willing to work on the code, it won&#39;t<br>
    be easy.<br>

But the Debian package for the sunffb driver will most likely be worked on by Adrian<br>
    Bunk as he said he would be looking into it. However, that probably won&#39;t happen<br>
    before the Debian SPARC porterbox has found a new home.<br>

You know, complaining about these issues is very easy but helping to get them fixed<br>
    is much more difficult and just giving someone 50 Euros doesn&#39;t magically fix all<br>
    these problems.<br>

If you want these issues to be fixed, please consider helping with the work. The first<br>
    step to this will be providing useful feedback messages with detailed error messages.<br>
    This way, I have a chance to see where the problems are and start working on them.<br>

Adrian<br>

-- <br>
     .&#39;&#39;`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz<br>
    : :&#39; :  Debian Developer - <a href="mailto:glaubitz@debian.org" target="_blank">glaubitz@debian.org</a><br>
    `. `&#39;   Freie Universitaet Berlin - <a href="mailto:glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de" target="_blank">glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de</a><br>
      `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913<br>

</blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Connor McLaughlan@21:1/5 to glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de on Thu Sep 23 22:50:01 2021
    Hi Adrian,

as for ia64 the news tell there is no kernel maintainer anymore and the architecture is marked as orphaned, so removal might be coming soon.

But you would know first of course, as your name is mentioned in the same
    news about it :)

https://www.heise.de/news/Linux-5-11-Support-fuer-Intel-SGX-neue-Treiber-und-kleinere-Verbesserungen-5051869.html?seite=3

I was just thinking about trying to get one of those fancy ia64
    workstations for added fun...

Regards,
    Connor

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 10:21 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz < glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

Hi Connor!

On 9/23/21 22:16, Connor McLaughlan wrote:
    Unfortunately not all software in the repos and on snapshot are available or give a bus errors and won't work.

It is possible to fix these issues, but for that, we need bug reports.

I trained a whole year on NetBSD Sparc64 to get everything up and running and then transplanted this knowledge to use pkgsrc on debian sparc64.
    It also is by now way working out of the box and needs lots of manual intervention, but lets you compile a lot of software with the exception
    of
    firefox52, thunderbird52, and an older seamonkey. These seem to be too optimised to run on NetBSD Sparc64. I'm stuck on bus errors for those
    while
    they do run on NetBSD sparc64.

Firefox on SPARC is actually maintained by Oracle. So, in principal we
    should
    be able to get it to work and I managed to get it to work in the past.

Debian sparc64 is an unofficial port and if i am not wrong, i think
    Adrian
    Also sparc is heavy on the decline and no mainstream OS used for desktop work anymore. So a lot of the bugs are not reported and visible upstream. And debian is one of the last linux distributions even to have a port.
    Once
    the kernel drops it (just happened to ia64), or Adrian stops supporting,
    i
    gues it will all be gone and i am forced back to NetBSD.

Not sure where you got the information that ia64 has been dropped from the kernel sources, it hasn't.

For now I found my peace in combining debian and pkgsrc. This will lead
    to

That's ok. But I think it would also help if people started reporting bugs and help fix them. Bus errors in particular are not that difficult to fix.

Adrian

--

<div dir="ltr"><div>Hi Adrian,</div><div><br></div><div>as for ia64 the news tell there is no kernel maintainer anymore and the architecture is marked as orphaned, so removal might be coming soon.</div><div><br></div><div>But you would know first of
    course, as your name is mentioned in the same news about it :)</div><div><br></div><div><a href="https://www.heise.de/news/Linux-5-11-Support-fuer-Intel-SGX-neue-Treiber-und-kleinere-Verbesserungen-5051869.html?seite=3">https://www.heise.de/news/Linux-5-
    11-Support-fuer-Intel-SGX-neue-Treiber-und-kleinere-Verbesserungen-5051869.html?seite=3</a></div><div><br></div><div>I was just thinking about trying to get one of those fancy ia64 workstations for added fun...</div><div><br></div><div>Regards,</div><div>
    Connor <br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 10:21 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz &lt;<a href="mailto:glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de">glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><
    blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Hi Connor!<br>

On 9/23/21 22:16, Connor McLaughlan wrote:<br>
    &gt; Unfortunately not all software in the repos and on snapshot are available<br>
    &gt; or give a bus errors and won&#39;t work.<br>
    &gt; For example all kde related stuff is not installable due to conflicts and<br>
    &gt; missing packages.<br>

It is possible to fix these issues, but for that, we need bug reports.<br>

&gt; I trained a whole year on NetBSD Sparc64 to get everything up and running<br>
    &gt; and then transplanted this knowledge to use pkgsrc on debian sparc64.<br> &gt; It also is by now way working out of the box and needs lots of manual<br> &gt; intervention, but lets you compile a lot of software with the exception of<br>
    &gt; firefox52, thunderbird52, and an older seamonkey. These seem to be too<br> &gt; optimised to run on NetBSD Sparc64. I&#39;m stuck on bus errors for those while<br>
    &gt; they do run on NetBSD sparc64.<br>

Firefox on SPARC is actually maintained by Oracle. So, in principal we should<br>
    be able to get it to work and I managed to get it to work in the past.<br>

&gt; Debian sparc64 is an unofficial port and if i am not wrong, i think Adrian<br>
    &gt; is almost the only person maintaining it.<br>
    &gt; Also sparc is heavy on the decline and no mainstream OS used for desktop<br>
    &gt; work anymore. So a lot of the bugs are not reported and visible upstream.<br>
    &gt; And debian is one of the last linux distributions even to have a port. Once<br>
    &gt; the kernel drops it (just happened to ia64), or Adrian stops supporting, i<br>
    &gt; gues it will all be gone and i am forced back to NetBSD.<br>

Not sure where you got the information that ia64 has been dropped from the<br> kernel sources, it hasn&#39;t.<br>

&gt; For now I found my peace in combining debian and pkgsrc. This will lead to<br>
    &gt; a somehow complete desktop software collection.<br>

That&#39;s ok. But I think it would also help if people started reporting bugs<br>
    and help fix them. Bus errors in particular are not that difficult to fix.<br>

Adrian<br>

-- <br>
     .&#39;&#39;`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz<br>
    : :&#39; :  Debian Developer - <a href="mailto:glaubitz@debian.org" target="_blank">glaubitz@debian.org</a><br>
    `. `&#39;   Freie Universitaet Berlin - <a href="mailto:glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de" target="_blank">glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de</a><br>
      `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913<br>

</blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Connor McLaughlan on Thu Sep 23 23:40:02 2021
    Hi!

On 9/23/21 22:48, Connor McLaughlan wrote:
    as for ia64 the news tell there is no kernel maintainer anymore and the architecture is marked as orphaned, so removal might be coming soon.

Architectures have been in the kernel without a maintainer before, so it's
    not really news. arch/sh was without a maintainer for some time but it eventually
    got new maintainers again.

But you would know first of course, as your name is mentioned in the same news about it :)

https://www.heise.de/news/Linux-5-11-Support-fuer-Intel-SGX-neue-Treiber-und-kleinere-Verbesserungen-5051869.html?seite=3

Funny, I didn't actually know that :D. Thanks for digging this up.

I was just thinking about trying to get one of those fancy ia64
    workstations for added fun...

We have still a number of ia64 machines at SUSE that are being let go
    and which I am going to pick up. There are two SGI Prism, for example,
    very cool machines.

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian Noonan@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 24 13:50:02 2021
    SGkgQWRyaWFuLA0KSSBib290ZWQgdGhlIGxhdGVzdCBpc28gb24gYSAgU3VuIFYxMjAgd2l0aCAy LjVHQiBSQU0uDQoNCkhvd2V2ZXIsIEkgZ2V0IGFuIGVycm9yLg0KIHdhdGNoZG9nOiBCVUc6IHNv ZnQgbG9ja3VwIC0gQ1BVIzAgc3R1Y2sgZm9yIDIycyENClRoZSBlcnJvciBoYXBwZW5zIGF0IGRp ZmZlcmVudCBwb2ludHMgaW4gdGhlIGluc3RhbGwuIEZpcnN0IHRpbWUgd2FzIHdoZW4gaXQgdHJp ZWQgdG8gY29uZmlndXJlIHRoZSBOSUMncyBieSBESENQIGFuZCB0aGUgc2Vjb25kIHdhcyB3aGVu IGl0IHRyaWVkIHRvIGNvbW11bmljYXRlIHRvIGFuIE5UUCBzZXJ2ZXIuDQoNCiBUaGlzIG1hY2hp bmUgd2lsbCBydW4gYm90aCBTb2xhcmlzIDEwIGFuZCBPcGVuQlNEIHBlcmZlY3RseSBmaW5lLiBJ IHJhbiBhIGZldyB0ZXN0IGNvbXBpbGVzIHVuZGVyIE9wZW5CU0Qgd2l0aG91dCBpc3N1ZS4NCg0K DQpSZWdhcmRzDQpCcmlhbg0KDQotLS0tLU9yaWdpbmFsIE1lc3NhZ2UtLS0tLQ0KRnJvbTogSm9o biBQYXVsIEFkcmlhbiBHbGF1Yml0eiA8Z2xhdWJpdHpAcGh5c2lrLmZ1LWJlcmxpbi5kZT4gDQpT ZW50OiBUaHVyc2RheSwgMjMgU2VwdGVtYmVyIDIwMjEgNzoyNiBQTQ0KVG86IGRlYmlhbi1zcGFy YyA8ZGViaWFuLXNwYXJjQGxpc3RzLmRlYmlhbi5vcmc+DQpTdWJqZWN0OiBVcGRhdGVkIERlYmlh biBQb3J0cyBpbnN0YWxsYXRpb24gaW1hZ2VzIDIwMjEtMDktMjMNCg0KSGkhDQoNCkkgaGF2ZSBq dXN0IGJ1aWx0IGFuZCB1cGxvYWRlZCB1cGRhdGVkIERlYmlhbiBQb3J0cyBpbnN0YWxsYXRpb24g aW1hZ2VzLg0KDQpUaGVzZSBpbWFnZXMgY29udGFpbiBhbiB1cGRhdGVkIGFwdC1zZXR1cCBwYWNr YWdlIHdoaWNoIGZpeGVzIHRoZSBBUFQgcHJvYmxlbSB0aGF0IG9jY3VycmVkIGR1cmluZyBpbnN0 YWxsYXRpb24gd2l0aCB0aGUgMjAyMS0wOS0yMSBpbWFnZXMuDQoNCkkgaGF2ZSBwZXJmb3JtZWQg YSBzdWNjZXNzZnVsIHRlc3QgaW5zdGFsbGF0aW9uIG9uIHNwYXJjNjQgYW5kIHdpbGwgcGVyZm9y bSBhIHRlc3Qgb24gaWE2NCBvbiBteSBSWDI2NjAgbGF0ZXIgYXMgd2VsbC4NCg0KSSB3aWxsIHBy b3ZpZGUgbW9yZSBpbWFnZXMgdXBkYXRlcyBpbiB0aGUgZm9sbG93aW5nIGRheXMgd2hpY2ggd2ls bCBjb250YWluIG1vcmUgZml4ZXMgc3VjaCBhcyBmb3IgdGhlIGhkLW1lZGlhIGluc3RhbGxhdGlv biBhcyB3ZWxsIGFzIGltcHJvdmVtZW50cyBvbiBBcHBsZSBQb3dlck1hYy4NCg0KVGhlIGltYWdl cyBjYW4gYmUgb2J0YWluZWQgZnJvbSBbMV0uDQoNClRoYW5rcywNCkFkcmlhbg0KDQo+IFsxXSBo dHRwczovL2NkaW1hZ2UuZGViaWFuLm9yZy9jZGltYWdlL3BvcnRzL3NuYXBzaG90cy8yMDIxLTA5 LTIzLw0KDQotLQ0KIC4nJ2AuICBKb2huIFBhdWwgQWRyaWFuIEdsYXViaXR6DQo6IDonIDogIERl YmlhbiBEZXZlbG9wZXIgLSBnbGF1Yml0ekBkZWJpYW4ub3JnDQpgLiBgJyAgIEZyZWllIFVuaXZl cnNpdGFldCBCZXJsaW4gLSBnbGF1Yml0ekBwaHlzaWsuZnUtYmVybGluLmRlDQogIGAtICAgIEdQ RzogNjJGRiA4QTc1IDg0RTAgMjk1NiA5NTQ2ICAwMDA2IDc0MjYgM0IzNyBGNUI1IEY5MTMNCg0K DQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Brian Noonan on Fri Sep 24 14:20:02 2021
    Hello Brian!

On 9/24/21 13:24, Brian Noonan wrote:
    However, I get an error.
    watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s!
    The error happens at different points in the install. First time was
    when it tried to configure the NIC's by DHCP and the second was when
    it tried to communicate to an NTP server.

Some of the older SPARC machines have trouble with newer kernels, so I
    you can try using an older image which uses a 4.x kernel.

See: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2019-07-16/

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian Noonan@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 25 05:10:02 2021
    R29vZCBtb3JuaW5nIEFkcmlhbiEgKFdlbGwsIGl0IGlzIG1vcm5pbmcgaGVyZSAtIGxvbCEpDQoN CkkgdHJpZWQgdGhhdCBlYXJsaWVyIGlzbyAtIHRoYW5rIHlvdS4NCg0KVW5mb3J0dW5hdGVseSwg SSBnZXQgdGhlIHNhbWUgZXJyb3IuIEp1c3QgbXVjaCBsYXRlciBpbiB0aGUgaW5zdGFsbGF0aW9u IHByb2Nlc3MuDQpUaGlzIHRpbWUgdGhlIENQVSBsb2NrdXAgYXBwZWFyZWQgd2hlbiB0cnlpbmcg dG8gZG93bmxvYWQgZnJvbSBhIG1pcnJvci4NCg0KSXQgc2VlbXMgZWFjaCBpbmNpZGVuY2Ugb2Yg dGhlIGxvY2t1cCBoYXBwZW5zIHdoZW4gdHJ5aW5nIHRvIHVzZSB0aGUgTklDJ3MuDQoNCkknbSBn b2luZyB0byBzZWUgaWYgdGhlcmUgaXMgYSBmaXJtd2FyZSB1cGRhdGUgZm9yIHRoZSBtYWNoaW5l IGFuZCBnbyBmcm9tIHRoZXJlLg0KDQpUaGFuayB5b3UgZm9yIHlvdXIgZWZmb3J0cy4gIEkgd2Fz IHVzaW5nIEF1cm9yYSBMaW51eCBvbiBhIFNwYXJjIDUvMTcwICBtYW55IHllYXJzIGFnbyBhbmQg dGhlbiBoYWQgYSBjcm9zcyBjb21waWxlIG9mIHRoZSBMaW51eCBWYXggcHJvamVjdCBzZXR1cCBv biBhbiBBbHBoYXNlcnZlciAgMzMwNSBydW5uaW5nIFJlZCBIYXQgKFdoaXRlYm94IEFTODAwKSBz byBpdCBpcyBzb21ldGhpbmcgSSB3YW50IHRvIGdldCBnb2luZyBhZ2FpbiBmb3Igc3VyZS4gVW5m b3J0dW5hdGVseSwgbW9zdCBvZiBteSAgVmF4LCBTcGFyYydzIGFuZCBBbHBoYSdzIGFyZSBzdGls bCBpbiBzdG9yYWdlIG9uIHRoZSBvdGhlciBzaWRlIG9mIHRoZSB3b3JsZCBmcm9tIG15IGN1cnJl bnQgbG9jYXRpb24uIA0KDQpSZWdhcmRzDQpCcmlhbg0KDQotLS0tLU9yaWdpbmFsIE1lc3NhZ2Ut LS0tLQ0KRnJvbTogSm9obiBQYXVsIEFkcmlhbiBHbGF1Yml0eiA8Z2xhdWJpdHpAcGh5c2lrLmZ1 LWJlcmxpbi5kZT4gDQpTZW50OiBGcmlkYXksIDI0IFNlcHRlbWJlciAyMDIxIDEwOjEyIFBNDQpU bzogQnJpYW4gTm9vbmFuIDxicmlhbkBhZmZjb21wLm9yZz4NCkNjOiBkZWJpYW4tc3BhcmNAbGlz dHMuZGViaWFuLm9yZw0KU3ViamVjdDogUmU6IFVwZGF0ZWQgRGViaWFuIFBvcnRzIGluc3RhbGxh dGlvbiBpbWFnZXMgMjAyMS0wOS0yMw0KDQpIZWxsbyBCcmlhbiENCg0KT24gOS8yNC8yMSAxMzoy NCwgQnJpYW4gTm9vbmFuIHdyb3RlOg0KPiBIb3dldmVyLCBJIGdldCBhbiBlcnJvci4NCj4gIHdh dGNoZG9nOiBCVUc6IHNvZnQgbG9ja3VwIC0gQ1BVIzAgc3R1Y2sgZm9yIDIycyENCj4gVGhlIGVy cm9yIGhhcHBlbnMgYXQgZGlmZmVyZW50IHBvaW50cyBpbiB0aGUgaW5zdGFsbC4gRmlyc3QgdGlt ZSB3YXMgDQo+IHdoZW4gaXQgdHJpZWQgdG8gY29uZmlndXJlIHRoZSBOSUMncyBieSBESENQIGFu ZCB0aGUgc2Vjb25kIHdhcyB3aGVuIA0KPiBpdCB0cmllZCB0byBjb21tdW5pY2F0ZSB0byBhbiBO VFAgc2VydmVyLg0KDQpTb21lIG9mIHRoZSBvbGRlciBTUEFSQyBtYWNoaW5lcyBoYXZlIHRyb3Vi bGUgd2l0aCBuZXdlciBrZXJuZWxzLCBzbyBJIHlvdSBjYW4gdHJ5IHVzaW5nIGFuIG9sZGVyIGlt YWdlIHdoaWNoIHVzZXMgYSA0Lngga2VybmVsLg0KDQpTZWU6IGh0dHBzOi8vY2RpbWFnZS5kZWJp YW4ub3JnL2NkaW1hZ2UvcG9ydHMvc25hcHNob3RzLzIwMTktMDctMTYvDQoNCkFkcmlhbg0KDQot LQ0KIC4nJ2AuICBKb2huIFBhdWwgQWRyaWFuIEdsYXViaXR6DQo6IDonIDogIERlYmlhbiBEZXZl bG9wZXIgLSBnbGF1Yml0ekBkZWJpYW4ub3JnDQpgLiBgJyAgIEZyZWllIFVuaXZlcnNpdGFldCBC ZXJsaW4gLSBnbGF1Yml0ekBwaHlzaWsuZnUtYmVybGluLmRlDQogIGAtICAgIEdQRzogNjJGRiA4 QTc1IDg0RTAgMjk1NiA5NTQ2ICAwMDA2IDc0MjYgM0IzNyBGNUI1IEY5MTMNCg0KDQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian Noonan@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 25 15:20:02 2021
    QW4gdXBkYXRlIG9uIHRoaXMuDQpGb3IgaW50ZXJlc3Qgc2FrZSAgSSB0cmllZCBhbiBpbnN0YWxs IG9mIFVidW50dSAgOC4wNCBTcGFyYy4NClRoYXQgZ2V0cyBmYXIgZnVydGhlciB0aGFuIGVpdGhl ciBvZiB0aGUgRGViaWFuIGluc3RhbGxzLg0KDQoxLiBObyBDUFUgbG9ja3VwIG1lc3NhZ2VzLg0K Mi4gTklDJ3MgYXV0by1uZWdvdGlhdGUgZmluZSB3aGljaCAgZGlkbid0IGhhcHBlbiBmb3IgYm90 aCBEZWJpYW4gaW5zdGFsbHMuIA0KDQpUaGUgVWJ1bnR1IGluc3RhbGwgc3RpbGwgZmFpbGVkIGJ1 dCBmYWlsZWQgd2l0aCBhIFNJTE8gIGluc3RhbGwgZXJyb3IuIA0KU28gaXQgcmVhbGx5IGdvdCBt b3N0IG9mIHRoZSB3YXkgdGhlcmUgY29tcGFyZWQgdG8gdGhlIG90aGVyIHR3byBEZWJpYW4gYXR0 ZW1wdHMuDQoNClJlZ2FyZHMNCkJyaWFuDQoNCg0KLS0tLS1PcmlnaW5hbCBNZXNzYWdlLS0tLS0N CkZyb206IEJyaWFuIE5vb25hbiA8YnJpYW5AYWZmY29tcC5vcmc+IA0KU2VudDogU2F0dXJkYXks IDI1IFNlcHRlbWJlciAyMDIxIDEyOjIzIFBNDQpUbzogZGViaWFuLXNwYXJjQGxpc3RzLmRlYmlh bi5vcmcNClN1YmplY3Q6IFJFOiBVcGRhdGVkIERlYmlhbiBQb3J0cyBpbnN0YWxsYXRpb24gaW1h Z2VzIDIwMjEtMDktMjMNCg0KR29vZCBtb3JuaW5nIEFkcmlhbiEgKFdlbGwsIGl0IGlzIG1vcm5p bmcgaGVyZSAtIGxvbCEpDQoNCkkgdHJpZWQgdGhhdCBlYXJsaWVyIGlzbyAtIHRoYW5rIHlvdS4N Cg0KVW5mb3J0dW5hdGVseSwgSSBnZXQgdGhlIHNhbWUgZXJyb3IuIEp1c3QgbXVjaCBsYXRlciBp biB0aGUgaW5zdGFsbGF0aW9uIHByb2Nlc3MuDQpUaGlzIHRpbWUgdGhlIENQVSBsb2NrdXAgYXBw ZWFyZWQgd2hlbiB0cnlpbmcgdG8gZG93bmxvYWQgZnJvbSBhIG1pcnJvci4NCg0KSXQgc2VlbXMg ZWFjaCBpbmNpZGVuY2Ugb2YgdGhlIGxvY2t1cCBoYXBwZW5zIHdoZW4gdHJ5aW5nIHRvIHVzZSB0 aGUgTklDJ3MuDQoNCkknbSBnb2luZyB0byBzZWUgaWYgdGhlcmUgaXMgYSBmaXJtd2FyZSB1cGRh dGUgZm9yIHRoZSBtYWNoaW5lIGFuZCBnbyBmcm9tIHRoZXJlLg0KDQpUaGFuayB5b3UgZm9yIHlv dXIgZWZmb3J0cy4gIEkgd2FzIHVzaW5nIEF1cm9yYSBMaW51eCBvbiBhIFNwYXJjIDUvMTcwICBt YW55IHllYXJzIGFnbyBhbmQgdGhlbiBoYWQgYSBjcm9zcyBjb21waWxlIG9mIHRoZSBMaW51eCBW YXggcHJvamVjdCBzZXR1cCBvbiBhbiBBbHBoYXNlcnZlciAgMzMwNSBydW5uaW5nIFJlZCBIYXQg KFdoaXRlYm94IEFTODAwKSBzbyBpdCBpcyBzb21ldGhpbmcgSSB3YW50IHRvIGdldCBnb2luZyBh Z2FpbiBmb3Igc3VyZS4gVW5mb3J0dW5hdGVseSwgbW9zdCBvZiBteSAgVmF4LCBTcGFyYydzIGFu ZCBBbHBoYSdzIGFyZSBzdGlsbCBpbiBzdG9yYWdlIG9uIHRoZSBvdGhlciBzaWRlIG9mIHRoZSB3 b3JsZCBmcm9tIG15IGN1cnJlbnQgbG9jYXRpb24uIA0KDQpSZWdhcmRzDQpCcmlhbg0KDQotLS0t LU9yaWdpbmFsIE1lc3NhZ2UtLS0tLQ0KRnJvbTogSm9obiBQYXVsIEFkcmlhbiBHbGF1Yml0eiA8 Z2xhdWJpdHpAcGh5c2lrLmZ1LWJlcmxpbi5kZT4NClNlbnQ6IEZyaWRheSwgMjQgU2VwdGVtYmVy IDIwMjEgMTA6MTIgUE0NClRvOiBCcmlhbiBOb29uYW4gPGJyaWFuQGFmZmNvbXAub3JnPg0KQ2M6 IGRlYmlhbi1zcGFyY0BsaXN0cy5kZWJpYW4ub3JnDQpTdWJqZWN0OiBSZTogVXBkYXRlZCBEZWJp YW4gUG9ydHMgaW5zdGFsbGF0aW9uIGltYWdlcyAyMDIxLTA5LTIzDQoNCkhlbGxvIEJyaWFuIQ0K DQpPbiA5LzI0LzIxIDEzOjI0LCBCcmlhbiBOb29uYW4gd3JvdGU6DQo+IEhvd2V2ZXIsIEkgZ2V0 IGFuIGVycm9yLg0KPiAgd2F0Y2hkb2c6IEJVRzogc29mdCBsb2NrdXAgLSBDUFUjMCBzdHVjayBm b3IgMjJzIQ0KPiBUaGUgZXJyb3IgaGFwcGVucyBhdCBkaWZmZXJlbnQgcG9pbnRzIGluIHRoZSBp bnN0YWxsLiBGaXJzdCB0aW1lIHdhcyANCj4gd2hlbiBpdCB0cmllZCB0byBjb25maWd1cmUgdGhl IE5JQydzIGJ5IERIQ1AgYW5kIHRoZSBzZWNvbmQgd2FzIHdoZW4gDQo+IGl0IHRyaWVkIHRvIGNv bW11bmljYXRlIHRvIGFuIE5UUCBzZXJ2ZXIuDQoNClNvbWUgb2YgdGhlIG9sZGVyIFNQQVJDIG1h Y2hpbmVzIGhhdmUgdHJvdWJsZSB3aXRoIG5ld2VyIGtlcm5lbHMsIHNvIEkgeW91IGNhbiB0cnkg dXNpbmcgYW4gb2xkZXIgaW1hZ2Ugd2hpY2ggdXNlcyBhIDQueCBrZXJuZWwuDQoNClNlZTogaHR0 cHM6Ly9jZGltYWdlLmRlYmlhbi5vcmcvY2RpbWFnZS9wb3J0cy9zbmFwc2hvdHMvMjAxOS0wNy0x Ni8NCg0KQWRyaWFuDQoNCi0tDQogLicnYC4gIEpvaG4gUGF1bCBBZHJpYW4gR2xhdWJpdHoNCjog OicgOiAgRGViaWFuIERldmVsb3BlciAtIGdsYXViaXR6QGRlYmlhbi5vcmcNCmAuIGAnICAgRnJl aWUgVW5pdmVyc2l0YWV0IEJlcmxpbiAtIGdsYXViaXR6QHBoeXNpay5mdS1iZXJsaW4uZGUNCiAg YC0gICAgR1BHOiA2MkZGIDhBNzUgODRFMCAyOTU2IDk1NDYgIDAwMDYgNzQyNiAzQjM3IEY1QjUg RjkxMw0KDQoNCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gregor Riepl@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 28 12:30:02 2021
    An update on this.
    For interest sake I tried an install of Ubuntu 8.04 Sparc.
    That gets far further than either of the Debian installs.

This would be comparable to Debian etch or lenny.

I remember having had a very stable experience with etch on my Ultra 10
    back in the day, although this was still with the 32-bit userland. A lot
    of things have changes since then, and bit rot has taken hold in some
    places.

There's still a lot to do bring things up to speed, but I think it's
    still remarkable how much is already working at this point. The port is
    by no means ready for General Consumption™️, though.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dennis Clarke@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 7 12:10:02 2021
    <snip>
    Finally got a chance to test this more thoroughly. It turns out that
    the install is failing because of my odd install method (dump the
    install image on the disk, boot on it, overwrite the install media
    with the install).

That is the only method I have seen work with older sparc netra gear.

I just tested the SPARC64 install image and it works wonderfully.

--
    Dennis Clarke
    RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC
    UNIX and Linux spoken
    GreyBeard and suspenders optional

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05