• Bullseye planned on sparc64?

From James Bond@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 17 08:50:02 2021
    Hi Connor,

thanks for the feedback.

Well at the moment the 10.0 installer (debian-10.0-sparc64-NETINST-1.iso dated 2018) does not work on machines with XVR-1200 installed. On both the SB1500 and SB2500 (both with equipped with XVR-1200) the installer produces a frizzy screen output when
    the installer switches the text mode (initial language setup) and changing screen mode (1024 up to 1920) did not solve the problem.

Cheers

Iggi

Von: Connor McLaughlan <cont6pro3@gmail.com>
    Datum: Dienstag, 17. August 2021 um 00:14
    An: James Bond <bond6872@googlemail.com>
    Cc: "debian-sparc@lists.debian.org" <debian-sparc@lists.debian.org>
    Betreff: Re: Q: Bullseye planned on sparc64?

Hi Iggi,

there are no stable releases for the unofficial ports. You have to follow sid if you install a machine with the netinst-iso...
    This is currently very close to bullseye but will follow the next sid again and deviate.

Also i am still trying to get my old Suns (Ultra 10, Ultra 25, Blade 100, Blade 2000) working with debian in a stable way.

On Ultra 25 and Blade 100 i have problems with the latest kernels 5.9-5.10 where USB is not working for me. Therefore i am using kernel 5.8. Maybe this is fixable by using a certain USB quirks switch for the kernel, but i have not researched yet if there
    is a suitable one.

The main problem with debian on my machines is however, that after intensive workload for 2-3 days, my partitions get corrupted into an unfixable state and i have to reinstall debian. I have tried various things to find the culprit, but the logs are
    inconclusive apart from partitions not getting unmounted successfully at shutdown.
    Currently i suspect systemd as the cause and have switched to sysvinit for testing.

I think i can rule out hardware errors, because NetBSD and Solaris run rock solid on those machines without an issue and the issue is similar across several of the old machines. From the reports of other users T1+ are told to be stable and not showing
    this instability.

So feel free to test i guess. Any usage should be welcome.

Regards,
    Connor

On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 11:02 PM James Bond <bond6872@googlemail.com<mailto:bond6872@googlemail.com>> wrote:
    Dear all,

As I do have several Blades 150/1500(silver)/2500(silver)/2500(red) I would kindly offer to test on them if you need my help. Graphic cards currently in use are XVR-100 (B150) and XVR-1200 (B1500/2500).

Cheers

Iggi

<html xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
    <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"> <style><!--
    /* Font Definitions */
    @font-face
    {font-family:"Cambria Math";
    panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
    @font-face
    {font-family:Calibri;
    panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
    /* Style Definitions */
    p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
    {margin:0cm;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
    a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
    {mso-style-priority:99;
    color:blue;
    text-decoration:underline;}
    span.E-MailFormatvorlage18
    {mso-style-type:personal-reply;
    font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
    color:windowtext;}
    .MsoChpDefault
    {mso-style-type:export-only;
    font-size:10.0pt;}
    @page WordSection1
    {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
    margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 2.0cm 70.85pt;}
    div.WordSection1
    {page:WordSection1;}
    </style>
    </head>
    <body lang="DE" link="blue" vlink="purple" style="word-wrap:break-word">
    <div class="WordSection1">
    <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Hi Connor,<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US">thanks for the feedback.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Well at the moment the 10.0 installer (debian-10.0-sparc64-NETINST-1.iso dated 2018) does not work on machines with XVR-1200 installed. On both the SB1500 and SB2500 (both with
    equipped
    with XVR-1200) the installer produces a frizzy screen output when the installer switches the text mode (initial language setup) and changing screen mode (1024 up to 1920) did not solve the problem.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Cheers<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Iggi<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <div style="border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm 0cm 0cm">
    <p class="MsoNormal"><b><span style="font-size:12.0pt;color:black">Von: </span></b><span style="font-size:12.0pt;color:black">Connor McLaughlan &lt;cont6pro3@gmail.com&gt;<br>
    <b>Datum: </b>Dienstag, 17. August 2021 um 00:14<br>
    <b>An: </b>James Bond &lt;bond6872@googlemail.com&gt;<br>
    <b>Cc: </b>&quot;debian-sparc@lists.debian.org&quot; &lt;debian-sparc@lists.debian.org&gt;<br>
    <b>Betreff: </b>Re: Q: Bullseye planned on sparc64?<o:p></o:p></span></p> </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Hi Iggi,<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">there are no stable releases for the unofficial ports. You have to follow sid if you install a machine with the netinst-iso...<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">This is currently very close to bullseye but will follow the next sid again and deviate.<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Also i am still trying to get my old Suns (Ultra 10, Ultra 25, Blade 100, Blade 2000) working with debian in a stable way.<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">On Ultra 25 and Blade 100 i have problems with the latest kernels 5.9-5.10 where USB is not working for me. Therefore i am using kernel 5.8. Maybe this is fixable by using a certain USB quirks switch for the kernel, but i have not
    researched
    yet if there is a suitable one.<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">The main problem with debian on my machines is however, that after intensive workload for 2-3 days, my partitions get corrupted into an unfixable state and i have to reinstall debian. I have tried various things to find the culprit,
    but
    the logs are inconclusive apart from partitions not getting unmounted successfully at shutdown.
    <o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Currently i suspect systemd as the cause and have switched to sysvinit for testing.<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">I think i can rule out hardware errors, because NetBSD and Solaris run rock solid on those machines without an issue and the issue is similar across several of the old machines. From the reports of other users T1+ are told to be
    stable
    and not showing this instability.<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">So feel free to test i guess. Any usage should be welcome.<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Regards,<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Connor<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 11:02 PM James Bond &lt;<a href="mailto:bond6872@googlemail.com">bond6872@googlemail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <blockquote style="border:none;border-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0cm 0cm 0cm 6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0cm">
    <div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">Dear all,<o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span lang="EN-US">As I do have several Blades 150/1500(silver)/2500(silver)/2500(red) I would kindly offer to test on them if you need my help. Graphic cards currently in
    use are
    XVR-100 (B150) and XVR-1200 (B1500/2500).</span><o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span lang="EN-US">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span lang="EN-US">Cheers</span><o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span lang="EN-US">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span lang="EN-US">Iggi</span><o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to James Bond on Tue Aug 17 23:10:02 2021
    Hello Iggi!

On 8/17/21 8:41 AM, James Bond wrote:
    Well at the moment the 10.0 installer (debian-10.0-sparc64-NETINST-1.iso dated 2018)
    does not work on machines with XVR-1200 installed. On both the SB1500 and SB2500
    (both with equipped with XVR-1200) the installer produces a frizzy screen output
    when the installer switches the text mode (initial language setup) and changing
    screen mode (1024 up to 1920) did not solve the problem.

Please pick any of the newer images from the snapshots folder [1] as the 10.0 images
    are ancient and they actually aren't stable releases despite what the folder name
    implies.

Adrian

[1] https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/

--
    .''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
    : :' : Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org
    `. `' Freie Universitaet Berlin - glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de
    `- GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Bond@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 17 23:50:01 2021
    SGkgQWRyaWFuLA0KDQp0aGFua3MgYSBsb3QgZm9yIHRoZSBpbmZvcm1hdGlvbi4gSSBkb3dubG9h ZCBhIG5ldyBpbWFnZSAodGhpbmsgdGhlIGxhc3Qgb25lIGZyb20gSnVuZSB0aGlzIHllYXIpIGFu ZCB3aWxsIGdpdmUgYSB0cnkgdG9tb3Jyb3cgb24gbXkgQmxhZGVzLiBXaWxsIGtlZXAgeW91IHVw ZGF0ZWQuDQoNCkJ0dyBhcyBJIGFtIG5vdCBzdXJlIG9uIFN1bnMsIHdvdWxkIGl0IGJlIHBvc3Np YmxlIHRvIGFkZCBhIHN1cHBvcnRlZCAoYWthIGFjY2VsZXJhdGVkKSBQQ0kgbm9uIFN1biAoc28g bm8gT0JQIGZpcm13YXJlIG9uIHRoZSBjYXJkKSBncmFwaGljcyBjYXJkIHRvIHRoZSBTdW5zIHRv IGJlIGFibGUgdXNlIFggaW4gYSAiZGVjZW50IiB3YXk/IEFzIEkgY2Fubm90IGltYWdpbmUgdGhh dCB3ZSB3aWxsIGV2ZXIgaGF2ZSBhIHN1cHBvcnRlZCBTdW4gZ3JhcGhpY3MgY2FyZCAoWFZSLTEw MCwgNjAwLCAxMjAwKSB3aXRoaW4gRGViaWFuLg0KDQpDaGVlcnMNCg0KSWdnaSAgDQoNCu+7v0Ft IDE3LjA4LjIxLCAyMzowMCBzY2hyaWViICJKb2huIFBhdWwgQWRyaWFuIEdsYXViaXR6IiA8Z2xh dWJpdHpAcGh5c2lrLmZ1LWJlcmxpbi5kZT46DQoNCiAgICBIZWxsbyBJZ2dpIQ0KDQogICAgT24g OC8xNy8yMSA4OjQxIEFNLCBKYW1lcyBCb25kIHdyb3RlOg0KICAgID4gV2VsbCBhdCB0aGUgbW9t ZW50IHRoZSAxMC4wIGluc3RhbGxlciAoZGViaWFuLTEwLjAtc3BhcmM2NC1ORVRJTlNULTEuaXNv IGRhdGVkIDIwMTgpDQogICAgPiBkb2VzIG5vdCB3b3JrIG9uIG1hY2hpbmVzIHdpdGggWFZSLTEy MDAgaW5zdGFsbGVkLiBPbiBib3RoIHRoZSBTQjE1MDAgYW5kIFNCMjUwMA0KICAgID4gKGJvdGgg d2l0aCBlcXVpcHBlZCB3aXRoIFhWUi0xMjAwKSB0aGUgaW5zdGFsbGVyIHByb2R1Y2VzIGEgZnJp enp5IHNjcmVlbiBvdXRwdXQNCiAgICA+IHdoZW4gdGhlIGluc3RhbGxlciBzd2l0Y2hlcyB0aGUg dGV4dCBtb2RlIChpbml0aWFsIGxhbmd1YWdlIHNldHVwKSBhbmQgY2hhbmdpbmcNCiAgICA+IHNj cmVlbiBtb2RlICgxMDI0IHVwIHRvIDE5MjApIGRpZCBub3Qgc29sdmUgdGhlIHByb2JsZW0uDQoN CiAgICBQbGVhc2UgcGljayBhbnkgb2YgdGhlIG5ld2VyIGltYWdlcyBmcm9tIHRoZSBzbmFwc2hv dHMgZm9sZGVyIFsxXSBhcyB0aGUgMTAuMCBpbWFnZXMNCiAgICBhcmUgYW5jaWVudCBhbmQgdGhl eSBhY3R1YWxseSBhcmVuJ3Qgc3RhYmxlIHJlbGVhc2VzIGRlc3BpdGUgd2hhdCB0aGUgZm9sZGVy IG5hbWUNCiAgICBpbXBsaWVzLg0KDQogICAgQWRyaWFuDQoNCiAgICA+IFsxXSBodHRwczovL2Nk aW1hZ2UuZGViaWFuLm9yZy9jZGltYWdlL3BvcnRzL3NuYXBzaG90cy8NCg0KICAgIC0tIA0KICAg ICAuJydgLiAgSm9obiBQYXVsIEFkcmlhbiBHbGF1Yml0eg0KICAgIDogOicgOiAgRGViaWFuIERl dmVsb3BlciAtIGdsYXViaXR6QGRlYmlhbi5vcmcNCiAgICBgLiBgJyAgIEZyZWllIFVuaXZlcnNp dGFldCBCZXJsaW4gLSBnbGF1Yml0ekBwaHlzaWsuZnUtYmVybGluLmRlDQogICAgICBgLSAgICBH UEc6IDYyRkYgOEE3NSA4NEUwIDI5NTYgOTU0NiAgMDAwNiA3NDI2IDNCMzcgRjVCNSBGOTEzDQoN Cg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Phillip Stevens@21:1/5 to Iggi on Wed Aug 18 03:00:02 2021
    Yes, I'd also love (pay) to have decent graphics support. I migrated my
    Ultra 5 to Sparc64 in 2018 <https://feilipu.me/2018/04/14/old-sunshine-migrating-ultra5-to-sparc64/>
    and since then hardly turned it on.
    The graphics are a real weak point. I've both PGX-64 and XVR-100 graphics,
    and also tried a bunch of x86 PCI cards with no luck.

Would a bug bounty be a way forward?
    Phillip

Iggi wrote:

Hi Adrian,
    Btw as I am not sure on Suns, would it be possible to add a supported (aka accelerated) PCI non Sun (so no OBP firmware on the card) graphics card to the Suns to be able use X in a "decent" way? As I cannot imagine that we
    will ever have a supported Sun graphics card (XVR-100, 600, 1200) within Debian.

<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div>Yes, I&#39;d also love (pay) to have decent graphics
    support. I <a href="https://feilipu.me/2018/04/14/old-sunshine-migrating-ultra5-to-sparc64/">migrated my Ultra 5 to Sparc64 in 2018</a> and since then hardly turned it on.</div><div>The graphics are a real weak point. I&#39;ve both PGX-64 and XVR-100
    graphics, and also tried a bunch of x86 PCI cards with no luck.</div><div><br></div><div>Would a bug bounty be a way forward?</div><div>Phillip</div><div><br></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div><div class="gmail_quote">
    <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">Iggi wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Hi Adrian,<br>Btw as I am not sure on Suns, would it be possible to add a
    supported (aka accelerated) PCI non Sun (so no OBP firmware on the card) graphics card to the Suns to be able use X in a &quot;decent&quot; way? As I cannot imagine that we will ever have a supported Sun graphics card (XVR-100, 600, 1200) within Debian.<

</blockquote></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Bond@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 23 23:00:01 2021
    SGkgQWRyaWFuLA0KDQpTb3JyeSBmb3IgdGhlIGxhdGUgcmVwbHkgYnV0IEkgbWFuYWdlZCB0byB0 ZXN0IHRvZGF5IGFuZCB0aGUgbW9zdCByZWNlbnQgc25hcHNob3QgSSBkb3dubG9hZGVkIGRvZXMg bm90IGV2ZW4gbWFuYWdlIHRvIGJvb3QgZ3J1Yi4gDQoNCkZhaWxzIHdpdGggbm90IGZpbmRpbmcg a2VybmVsL3VuaXguDQoNCkNoZWVycw0KDQpJZ2dpDQoNCu+7v0FtIDE3LjA4LjIxLCAyMzowMCBz Y2hyaWViICJKb2huIFBhdWwgQWRyaWFuIEdsYXViaXR6IiA8Z2xhdWJpdHpAcGh5c2lrLmZ1LWJl cmxpbi5kZT46DQoNCiAgICBIZWxsbyBJZ2dpIQ0KDQogICAgT24gOC8xNy8yMSA4OjQxIEFNLCBK YW1lcyBCb25kIHdyb3RlOg0KICAgID4gV2VsbCBhdCB0aGUgbW9tZW50IHRoZSAxMC4wIGluc3Rh bGxlciAoZGViaWFuLTEwLjAtc3BhcmM2NC1ORVRJTlNULTEuaXNvIGRhdGVkIDIwMTgpDQogICAg PiBkb2VzIG5vdCB3b3JrIG9uIG1hY2hpbmVzIHdpdGggWFZSLTEyMDAgaW5zdGFsbGVkLiBPbiBi b3RoIHRoZSBTQjE1MDAgYW5kIFNCMjUwMA0KICAgID4gKGJvdGggd2l0aCBlcXVpcHBlZCB3aXRo IFhWUi0xMjAwKSB0aGUgaW5zdGFsbGVyIHByb2R1Y2VzIGEgZnJpenp5IHNjcmVlbiBvdXRwdXQN CiAgICA+IHdoZW4gdGhlIGluc3RhbGxlciBzd2l0Y2hlcyB0aGUgdGV4dCBtb2RlIChpbml0aWFs IGxhbmd1YWdlIHNldHVwKSBhbmQgY2hhbmdpbmcNCiAgICA+IHNjcmVlbiBtb2RlICgxMDI0IHVw IHRvIDE5MjApIGRpZCBub3Qgc29sdmUgdGhlIHByb2JsZW0uDQoNCiAgICBQbGVhc2UgcGljayBh bnkgb2YgdGhlIG5ld2VyIGltYWdlcyBmcm9tIHRoZSBzbmFwc2hvdHMgZm9sZGVyIFsxXSBhcyB0 aGUgMTAuMCBpbWFnZXMNCiAgICBhcmUgYW5jaWVudCBhbmQgdGhleSBhY3R1YWxseSBhcmVuJ3Qg c3RhYmxlIHJlbGVhc2VzIGRlc3BpdGUgd2hhdCB0aGUgZm9sZGVyIG5hbWUNCiAgICBpbXBsaWVz Lg0KDQogICAgQWRyaWFuDQoNCiAgICA+IFsxXSBodHRwczovL2NkaW1hZ2UuZGViaWFuLm9yZy9j ZGltYWdlL3BvcnRzL3NuYXBzaG90cy8NCg0KICAgIC0tIA0KICAgICAuJydgLiAgSm9obiBQYXVs IEFkcmlhbiBHbGF1Yml0eg0KICAgIDogOicgOiAgRGViaWFuIERldmVsb3BlciAtIGdsYXViaXR6 QGRlYmlhbi5vcmcNCiAgICBgLiBgJyAgIEZyZWllIFVuaXZlcnNpdGFldCBCZXJsaW4gLSBnbGF1 Yml0ekBwaHlzaWsuZnUtYmVybGluLmRlDQogICAgICBgLSAgICBHUEc6IDYyRkYgOEE3NSA4NEUw IDI5NTYgOTU0NiAgMDAwNiA3NDI2IDNCMzcgRjVCNSBGOTEzDQoNCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Bond@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 23 22:50:01 2021
    Would also „fund“ a DRM developer if we get someone willing to do so.

Cheers

Iggi

Von: Phillip Stevens <phillip.stevens@gmail.com>
    Datum: Mittwoch, 18. August 2021 um 02:57
    An: James Bond <bond6872@googlemail.com>
    Cc: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de>, "debian-sparc@lists.debian.org" <debian-sparc@lists.debian.org>
    Betreff: Re: Bullseye planned on sparc64?

Yes, I'd also love (pay) to have decent graphics support. I migrated my Ultra 5 to Sparc64 in 2018<https://feilipu.me/2018/04/14/old-sunshine-migrating-ultra5-to-sparc64/> and since then hardly turned it on.
    The graphics are a real weak point. I've both PGX-64 and XVR-100 graphics, and also tried a bunch of x86 PCI cards with no luck.

Phillip

Iggi wrote:
    Hi Adrian,
    Btw as I am not sure on Suns, would it be possible to add a supported (aka accelerated) PCI non Sun (so no OBP firmware on the card) graphics card to the Suns to be able use X in a "decent" way? As I cannot imagine that we will ever have a supported Sun
    graphics card (XVR-100, 600, 1200) within Debian.

<html xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Windows-1252"> <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"> <style><!--
    /* Font Definitions */
    @font-face
    {font-family:"Cambria Math";
    panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
    @font-face
    {font-family:Calibri;
    panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
    /* Style Definitions */
    p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
    {margin:0cm;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
    a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
    {mso-style-priority:99;
    color:blue;
    text-decoration:underline;}
    span.E-MailFormatvorlage18
    {mso-style-type:personal-reply;
    font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
    color:windowtext;}
    .MsoChpDefault
    {mso-style-type:export-only;
    font-size:10.0pt;}
    @page WordSection1
    {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
    margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 2.0cm 70.85pt;}
    div.WordSection1
    {page:WordSection1;}
    </style>
    </head>
    <body lang="DE" link="blue" vlink="purple" style="word-wrap:break-word">
    <div class="WordSection1">
    <p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Would also „fund“ a DRM developer if we get someone willing to do so.
    <o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Cheers<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Iggi<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <div style="border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm 0cm 0cm">
    <p class="MsoNormal"><b><span style="font-size:12.0pt;color:black">Von: </span></b><span style="font-size:12.0pt;color:black">Phillip Stevens &lt;phillip.stevens@gmail.com&gt;<br>
    <b>Datum: </b>Mittwoch, 18. August 2021 um 02:57<br>
    <b>An: </b>James Bond &lt;bond6872@googlemail.com&gt;<br>
    <b>Cc: </b>John Paul Adrian Glaubitz &lt;glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de&gt;, &quot;debian-sparc@lists.debian.org&quot; &lt;debian-sparc@lists.debian.org&gt;<br>
    <b>Betreff: </b>Re: Bullseye planned on sparc64?<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Yes, I'd also love (pay) to have decent graphics support. I <a href="https://feilipu.me/2018/04/14/old-sunshine-migrating-ultra5-to-sparc64/">
    migrated my Ultra 5 to Sparc64 in 2018</a> and since then hardly turned it on.<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">The graphics are a real weak point. I've both PGX-64 and XVR-100 graphics, and also tried a bunch of x86 PCI cards with no luck.<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Would a bug bounty be a way forward?<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Phillip<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Iggi wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    <blockquote style="border:none;border-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0cm 0cm 0cm 6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0cm">
    <p class="MsoNormal">Hi Adrian,<br>
    Btw as I am not sure on Suns, would it be possible to add a supported (aka accelerated) PCI non Sun (so no OBP firmware on the card) graphics card to the Suns to be able use X in a &quot;decent&quot; way? As I cannot imagine that we will ever have a
    supported Sun graphics
    card (XVR-100, 600, 1200) within Debian.<o:p></o:p></p>
    </blockquote>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Phillip Stevens@21:1/5 to Iggi on Tue Aug 24 15:10:01 2021
    I tried to start a bounty on bountysource.com , but I couldn’t find where
    to host the issue. There needs to be an issue to link on a bug tracker somewhere. Where is the right place?

Suggestion would be to make success “support for mach64 enabling Ultra5 / Ultra10 PGX24 and PGX64 video card acceleration”.

But better would be XVR100, though they’re rare beasts.

Phillip

Iggi wrote:

Would also „fund“ a DRM developer if we get someone willing to do so.

Cheers

Iggi

Ultra 5 to Sparc64 in 2018 <https://feilipu.me/2018/04/14/old-sunshine-migrating-ultra5-to-sparc64/>

The graphics are a real weak point. I've both PGX-64 and XVR-100 graphics, and also tried a bunch of x86 PCI cards with no luck.

Iggi wrote:

Hi Adrian,
    Btw as I am not sure on Suns, would it be possible to add a supported (aka accelerated) PCI non Sun (so no OBP firmware on the card) graphics card to the Suns to be able use X in a "decent" way? As I cannot imagine that we
    will ever have a supported Sun graphics card (XVR-100, 600, 1200) within Debian.

--
    Sent from a Mobile Device. Replies may appear terse.

<div dir="auto">I tried to start a bounty on <a href="http://bountysource.com">bountysource.com</a> , but I couldn’t find where to host the issue. There needs to be an issue to link on a bug tracker somewhere. Where is the right place?</div><div dir="
    auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Suggestion would be to make success “support for mach64 enabling Ultra5 / Ultra10 PGX24 and PGX64 video card acceleration”.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">But better would be XVR100, though they’re
    rare beasts.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Phillip</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Iggi wrote:<br></div><div><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;
    border-left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204)">

<div lang="DE" link="blue" vlink="purple" style="word-wrap:break-word">
    <div class="m_218944348711556656WordSection1">
    <p class="MsoNormal" dir="auto"><span lang="EN-US">Would also „fund“ a DRM developer if we get someone willing to do so.</span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US">Cheers</span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US">Iggi</span></p></div></div><div lang="DE" link="blue" vlink="purple" style="word-wrap:break-word"><div class="m_218944348711556656WordSection1">
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Yes, I&#39;d also love (pay) to have decent graphics support. I <a href="https://feilipu.me/2018/04/14/old-sunshine-migrating-ultra5-to-sparc64/" target="_blank">
    migrated my Ultra 5 to Sparc64 in 2018</a> and since then hardly turned it on.<u></u><u></u></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal" dir="auto">The graphics are a real weak point. I&#39;ve both PGX-64 and XVR-100 graphics, and also tried a bunch of x86 PCI cards with no luck. </p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><u></u></p>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Would a bug bounty be a way forward?</p></div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Iggi wrote:<u></u><u></u></p>
    </div>
    <blockquote style="border-style:none none none solid;border-left-width:1pt;padding:0cm 0cm 0cm 6pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0cm;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204)">
    <p class="MsoNormal">Hi Adrian,<br>
    Btw as I am not sure on Suns, would it be possible to add a supported (aka accelerated) PCI non Sun (so no OBP firmware on the card) graphics card to the Suns to be able use X in a &quot;decent&quot; way? As I cannot imagine that we will ever have a
    supported Sun graphics
    card (XVR-100, 600, 1200) within Debian.<u></u><u></u></p>
    </blockquote>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>

</blockquote></div></div>-- <br><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature">Sent from a Mobile Device.
    Replies may appear terse.</div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Phillip Stevens on Tue Aug 24 15:20:02 2021
    Hi!

On 8/24/21 3:07 PM, Phillip Stevens wrote:
    I tried to start a bounty on bountysource.com , but I couldn’t find where to host the issue. There needs to be an issue to link on a bug tracker somewhere. Where is the right place?

Suggestion would be to make success “support for mach64 enabling Ultra5 / Ultra10 PGX24 and PGX64 video card acceleration”.

But better would be XVR100, though they’re rare beasts.

I just found an older mail from you and you mentioned that you're missing the mach64 driver package [1]. That package was missing back then but it was since then reintroduced to the Debian archive.

So, if your particular machine needs the xserver-xorg-video-mach64 package,
    you should be able to install it again.

As for the xserver-xorg-video-sunffb package, we will need to reintroduce it
    to the archive first.

After installing and testing both packages, you should report any issues with these drivers to the freedesktop bug tracker. You can then create a new issue on Bountysource by linking the bug report you created in the freedesktop bug tracker.

Adrian

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2018/04/msg00012.html

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Phillip Stevens@21:1/5 to Phillip Stevens on Tue Aug 24 15:30:02 2021
    Phillip Stevens wrote:

Yes, I'd also love (pay) to have decent graphics support. I migrated my Ultra 5 to Sparc64 in 2018 <https://feilipu.me/2018/04/14/old-sunshine-migrating-ultra5-to-sparc64/

The graphics are a real weak point. I've both PGX-64 and XVR-100
    graphics,
    and also tried a bunch of x86 PCI cards with no luck.

We first need to figure out what the current state of the driver is.

I really can’t comment on the current state, but in 2018 I spent quite a
    bit of time configuring and diagnosing both mach64 and the XVR-100.
    Summarised in the blog. I don’t think things will have improved.

It might also be an idea to contact the original author/maintainer of the
    PGX-64 and XVR-100 graphics boards and ask whether they're willing to fix
    the issue.

Did these boards work in the past with the 32-bit sparc ?

I can only comment on mach64 on 32 bit Sparc, it was working fine. The
    desktop was reasonably responsive. About as responsive as Solaris, so quite good. I didn’t get the xvr-100 until afterwards.

Phillip

--
    Sent from a Mobile Device. Replies may appear terse.

<div><span style="border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204)">Phillip Stevens wrote:</span><br></div><div><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex;
    border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204)" dir="auto">
    &gt; Yes, I&#39;d also love (pay) to have decent graphics support. I migrated my<br>
    &gt; Ultra 5 to Sparc64 in 2018<br>
    &gt; &lt;<a href="https://feilipu.me/2018/04/14/old-sunshine-migrating-ultra5-to-sparc64/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://feilipu.me/2018/04/14/old-sunshine-migrating-ultra5-to-sparc64/</a>&gt;<br>
    &gt; and since then hardly turned it on.<br>
    &gt; The graphics are a real weak point. I&#39;ve both PGX-64 and XVR-100 graphics,<br>
    &gt; and also tried a bunch of x86 PCI cards with no luck.<br>

We first need to figure out what the current state of the driver is.</blockquote><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">I
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to James Bond on Tue Aug 24 15:20:02 2021
    Hello Iggi!

On 8/23/21 10:51 PM, James Bond wrote:
    Sorry for the late reply but I managed to test today and the most
    recent snapshot I downloaded does not even manage to boot grub.

Fails with not finding kernel/unix.

What kind of machine is that? The recent images should all work unless
    you have a very old or exotic SPARC machine.

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to James Bond on Tue Aug 24 15:40:02 2021
    Hello James

On 8/24/21 3:31 PM, James Bond wrote:
    tested on Sun Blade 1500/2500 (both silver) with an XVR-1200.

The "older" image at least booted to the point where you have the scribbled screen, the "latest" iso does not even come that far. On both machines.

I need some error messages.

It's not really possible to diagnose the problem without more information.

Also, you can try a slightly older image.

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Bond@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 24 15:40:03 2021
    SGkgQWRyaWFuLA0KDQp0ZXN0ZWQgb24gU3VuIEJsYWRlIDE1MDAvMjUwMCAoYm90aCBzaWx2ZXIp IHdpdGggYW4gWFZSLTEyMDAuDQoNClRoZSAib2xkZXIiIGltYWdlIGF0IGxlYXN0IGJvb3RlZCB0 byB0aGUgcG9pbnQgd2hlcmUgeW91IGhhdmUgdGhlIHNjcmliYmxlZCBzY3JlZW4sIHRoZSAibGF0 ZXN0IiBpc28gZG9lcyBub3QgZXZlbiBjb21lIHRoYXQgZmFyLiBPbiBib3RoIG1hY2hpbmVzLg0K DQpDaGVlcnMNCg0KSWdnaQ0KDQoNCu+7v0FtIDI0LjA4LjIxLCAxNToxMiBzY2hyaWViICJKb2hu IFBhdWwgQWRyaWFuIEdsYXViaXR6IiA8Z2xhdWJpdHpAcGh5c2lrLmZ1LWJlcmxpbi5kZT46DQoN CiAgICBIZWxsbyBJZ2dpIQ0KDQogICAgT24gOC8yMy8yMSAxMDo1MSBQTSwgSmFtZXMgQm9uZCB3 cm90ZToNCiAgICA+IFNvcnJ5IGZvciB0aGUgbGF0ZSByZXBseSBidXQgSSBtYW5hZ2VkIHRvIHRl c3QgdG9kYXkgYW5kIHRoZSBtb3N0DQogICAgPiByZWNlbnQgc25hcHNob3QgSSBkb3dubG9hZGVk IGRvZXMgbm90IGV2ZW4gbWFuYWdlIHRvIGJvb3QgZ3J1Yi4gDQogICAgPiANCiAgICA+IEZhaWxz IHdpdGggbm90IGZpbmRpbmcga2VybmVsL3VuaXguDQoNCiAgICBXaGF0IGtpbmQgb2YgbWFjaGlu ZSBpcyB0aGF0PyBUaGUgcmVjZW50IGltYWdlcyBzaG91bGQgYWxsIHdvcmsgdW5sZXNzDQogICAg eW91IGhhdmUgYSB2ZXJ5IG9sZCBvciBleG90aWMgU1BBUkMgbWFjaGluZS4NCg0KICAgIEFkcmlh bg0KDQogICAgLS0gDQogICAgIC4nJ2AuICBKb2huIFBhdWwgQWRyaWFuIEdsYXViaXR6DQogICAg OiA6JyA6ICBEZWJpYW4gRGV2ZWxvcGVyIC0gZ2xhdWJpdHpAZGViaWFuLm9yZw0KICAgIGAuIGAn ICAgRnJlaWUgVW5pdmVyc2l0YWV0IEJlcmxpbiAtIGdsYXViaXR6QHBoeXNpay5mdS1iZXJsaW4u ZGUNCiAgICAgIGAtICAgIEdQRzogNjJGRiA4QTc1IDg0RTAgMjk1NiA5NTQ2ICAwMDA2IDc0MjYg M0IzNyBGNUI1IEY5MTMNCg0K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Bond@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 24 21:30:01 2021
    SGkgQWRyaWFuLA0KDQpzb3JyeSBmb3IgdGhlIGNvbmZ1c2lvbiAoSmFtZXMgQm9uZCBpcyBub3Qg bXkgcmVhbCBuYW1lLCBqdXN0IHVzZWQgZm9yIGdtYWlsIF9fKQ0KDQpJZ25hY2lvIGFrYSBJZ2dp IGlzIG15IG5hbWUuDQoNCk9rLCBJIGFtIGJhY2sgdG9tb3Jyb3cgaW4gbXkgcmV0cm8gb2ZmaWNl IGFuZCB3aWxsIGR1bXAgd2hhdCBoYXBwZW5zIGFmdGVyIHRoZSAiYm9vdCBjZHJvbSIgY29tbWFu ZCAuLiBidXQgYXMgSSBzYWlkIHRoZXJlIGlzIG5vdCBtdWNoIG1vcmUgdGhhbiB3aGF0IEkgd3Jv dGUgd2l0aCByZWdhcmRzIHRvIG5vdCBmaW5kaW5nICJrZXJuZWwvdW5peCIuIERldGFpbHMgd2ls bCBmb2xsb3cuDQoNCkl0IHdvdWxkIGJlIGF3ZXNvbWUgaWYgd2UgY2FuIGZpbmQgYSBkZXZlbG9w ZXIgdGhhdCB3b3VsZCBiZSB3aWxsaW5nIHRvIHByb3ZpZGUgRFJNIGRyaXZlcnMgZm9yIGF0IGxl YXN0IHRob3NlIHNwYXJjNjQgbWFjaGluZXMgdGhhdCBhcmUgc3RpbGwgYXZhaWxhYmxlIC4uIHdl bGwgdGhlbiBJIGNhbiBhdCBsZWFzdCBjYW4gd2F0Y2ggIkphbWVzIEJvbmQiIG9uIG15IFNQQVJD cyBfXw0KDQpXaGF0IGRvIHlvdSBtZWFuIGJ5ICJzbGlnaHRseSBvbGRlciI/IEkgZGlkIGZpbmQg dGhlIG9uZSB3aGVyZSB5b3UgcHJvdmlkZWQgdGhlIGxpbmsgYW5kIHRoZSAib2xkIiBvbmUgdGhh dCBnZW5lcmF0ZXMgdGhlIGZyaXp6eSBzY3JlZW4uDQoNCkNoZWVycw0KDQpJZ2dpDQoNCu+7v0Ft IDI0LjA4LjIxLCAxNTozMyBzY2hyaWViICJKb2huIFBhdWwgQWRyaWFuIEdsYXViaXR6IiA8Z2xh dWJpdHpAcGh5c2lrLmZ1LWJlcmxpbi5kZT46DQoNCiAgICBIZWxsbyBKYW1lcw0KDQogICAgT24g OC8yNC8yMSAzOjMxIFBNLCBKYW1lcyBCb25kIHdyb3RlOg0KICAgID4gdGVzdGVkIG9uIFN1biBC bGFkZSAxNTAwLzI1MDAgKGJvdGggc2lsdmVyKSB3aXRoIGFuIFhWUi0xMjAwLg0KICAgID4gDQog ICAgPiBUaGUgIm9sZGVyIiBpbWFnZSBhdCBsZWFzdCBib290ZWQgdG8gdGhlIHBvaW50IHdoZXJl IHlvdSBoYXZlIHRoZSBzY3JpYmJsZWQNCiAgICA+IHNjcmVlbiwgdGhlICJsYXRlc3QiIGlzbyBk b2VzIG5vdCBldmVuIGNvbWUgdGhhdCBmYXIuIE9uIGJvdGggbWFjaGluZXMuDQoNCiAgICBJIG5l ZWQgc29tZSBlcnJvciBtZXNzYWdlcy4NCg0KICAgIEl0J3Mgbm90IHJlYWxseSBwb3NzaWJsZSB0 byBkaWFnbm9zZSB0aGUgcHJvYmxlbSB3aXRob3V0IG1vcmUgaW5mb3JtYXRpb24uDQoNCiAgICBB bHNvLCB5b3UgY2FuIHRyeSBhIHNsaWdodGx5IG9sZGVyIGltYWdlLg0KDQogICAgQWRyaWFuDQoN CiAgICAtLSANCiAgICAgLicnYC4gIEpvaG4gUGF1bCBBZHJpYW4gR2xhdWJpdHoNCiAgICA6IDon IDogIERlYmlhbiBEZXZlbG9wZXIgLSBnbGF1Yml0ekBkZWJpYW4ub3JnDQogICAgYC4gYCcgICBG cmVpZSBVbml2ZXJzaXRhZXQgQmVybGluIC0gZ2xhdWJpdHpAcGh5c2lrLmZ1LWJlcmxpbi5kZQ0K ICAgICAgYC0gICAgR1BHOiA2MkZGIDhBNzUgODRFMCAyOTU2IDk1NDYgIDAwMDYgNzQyNiAzQjM3 IEY1QjUgRjkxMw0KDQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gregor Riepl@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 25 02:30:02 2021
    On 8/18/21 2:57 AM, Phillip Stevens wrote:
    Ultra 5 to Sparc64 in 2018
    <https://feilipu.me/2018/04/14/old-sunshine-migrating-ultra5-to-sparc64/>
    The graphics are a real weak point. I've both PGX-64 and XVR-100 graphics, >> and also tried a bunch of x86 PCI cards with no luck.

FYI, I patched the abandoned sunffb driver (for Creator3D) at some point
    and got it working on my Ultra10 again: https://salsa.debian.org/onitake-guest/xserver-xorg-video-sunffb

Still couldn't get Xorg into a usable state, it would simply refuse to
    register mouse clicks and keyboard input (the mouse cursor did move
    around though).

I also tried to somehow get the patched package reintroduced into
    Debian, but it was refused because it would only work on sparc64. :/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Gregor Riepl on Wed Aug 25 07:50:01 2021
    On 8/25/21 2:29 AM, Gregor Riepl wrote:
    I also tried to somehow get the patched package reintroduced into
    Debian, but it was refused because it would only work on sparc64. :/

I talked to Adrian Bunk on IRC yesterday who has adopted all the old driver packages and reuploaded them and he said, he will look into adopting the sunffb driver package as well.

The package wasn't rejected, it was just Julien Christau who didn't want to maintain
    it under the umbrella of the Xorg package maintainers team. There is no policy in
    Debian that disallows "unimportant" packages.

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gregor Riepl@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 25 20:40:03 2021
    Hi Adrian,

You are right, of course.
    It's been a while and I had forgotten what the circumstances were.

Did anybody else encounter the input issue I mentioned? I'm not sure if could be related to the graphics driver or not. There is a possibility that Xorg is actually working, but not refreshing the screen due to missing 2D acceleration in the driver. I
    haven't verified this.

Regards,
    Gregor

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Bond@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 25 22:20:02 2021
    SGkgQWRyaWFuLA0KDQpzbyB0b2RheWBzIHRlc3QgcmV2ZWFsZWQuDQoNCjEpLiBUaGUgSW50ZW5z byBDRFJzIGFyZSBjcmFwLiBJIGJ1cm50IGEgbmV3IGRpc2MgYW5kIHRoaXMgb25lIHN0YXJ0ZWQg R3J1Yg0KMikuIEJlZm9yZSByZXRyeWluZyB0byByZWluc3RhbGwgRGViaWFuIEkgaGFkIGJvb3Rl ZCBpbnRvIFNvbGFyaXMgYW5kIHRob3VnaHQgcml0IHdvdWxkIGJlIGEgZ29vZCBtb21lbnQgdG8g Z2l2ZSBEZWJpYW4gYSB0cnkuIEFuZCBzdWRkZW5seSBhZnRlciBsb2FkaW5nIEdydWIgYW5kIHNv bWUgZXJyb3IgbWVzc2FnZXMgdGhhdCBJIGhhdmUgaGFkIGJlZm9yZSBhcyB3ZWxsIHRoZSBpbnN0 YWxsZXIgc3dpdGNoZWQgbW9kZSBhbmQgbm8gZml6enkgc2NyZWVuIG91dHB1dCEgU28gaXQgbG9v a3MgbGlrZSB0aGUgWFZSLTEyMDAgbmVlZHMgYSBwcmUtaW5pdGlhbGl6YXRpb24gYW5kIHRoZW4g dGhlIERlYmlhbiB0ZXJtaW5hbCBpbnN0YWxsZXIgd29ya3MuDQozKS4gU28gSSB0dW5lZCBteSBC bGFkZSAyNTAwIChzaWx2ZXIpIG9mZiBhbmQgd2FudGVkIHRvIHJlcHJvZHVjZSB0aGUgc3ltcHRv bXMuIEJvb3Rpbmcgc3RyYWlnaHQgaW50byB0aGUgRGViaWFuIENEIGluc3RhbGxlciBwcm9kdWNl ZCB0aGUgZnJpenp5IHNjcmVlbiBvdXRwdXQgSSBoYWQgYmVmb3JlLiBJIGJvb3RlZCBpbnRvIFNv bGFyaXMsIHJlYm9vdGVkIGFuZCB0aGVuIHJlZGlkIHRoZSBEZWJpYW4gaW5zdGFsbGF0aW9uIGFu ZCBubyBmcml6enkgb3V0cHV0IHdpdGggdGhlIGluc3RhbGxlci4NCjQpLiBJcyB0aGVyZSBhIHNp emUgbGltaXRhdGlvbiB3aXRoIERlYmlhbiBzcGFyYzY0PyBXYW50ZWQgdG8gaW5zdGFsbCBvbiBv bmUgb2YgdGhlIDE0NkdCIGludGVybmFsIGRpc2tzIGJ1dCBkdXJpbmcgcG9ydGlvbmluZyBJIGdl dCB0aGUgIndhcm5pbmciIHRoYXQgdGhlIGRpc2sgaGFzICI1NjIyNTMiIGN5bGluZGVycyB3aGlj aCBpcyBncmVhdGVyIHRoYW4gdGhlIG1heGltdW0gb2YgIjY1NTM2Ii4gVGhlIGluc3RhbGxlciBj b250aW51ZXMgYnV0IHdoZW4gcmVib290aW5nIGZyb20gdGhlIGRpc2sgaXQgc3RvcHMgd2l0aDoN CkNhbid0IG9wZW4gZGlzazINCg0KV2FybmluZzogRmNvZGUgc2VxdWVuY2UgcmVzdWx0ZWQgaW4g YSBuZXQgc3RhY2sgZGVwdGggY2hhbmdlIG9mIC0yNA0KDQpFdmFsdWF0aW5nOiB0aGUgZmlsZSBq dXN0IGxvYWRlZCBkb2VzIG5vdCBhcHBlYXIgdG8gYmUgZXhlY3V0YWJsZS4NCg0KaHR0cHM6Ly9p YmIuY28vOGprQ01QZw0KaHR0cHM6Ly9pYmIuY28vR3hHVEdGZw0KaHR0cHM6Ly9pYmIuY28vZjlw MG1Gcg0KaHR0cHM6Ly9pYmIuY28vSGhOR2Yzaw0KaHR0cHM6Ly9pYmIuY28vUDlGZmR3Uw0KDQpC dHcuIElmIHlvdSB3b3VsZCBsaWtlIHRvIGludmVzdGlnYXRlIHRoZSBYVlItMTIwMCBpbml0aWFs aXphdGlvbiBwcm9ibGVtIEkgY291bGQgc2VuZCB5b3Ugb25lIG9mIG15IFhWUi0xMjAwIHRoYXQg YXJlIHdpdGhpbiB0aGUgYmlnIGJveCBibGFkZXMuDQoNCkNoZWVycw0KDQpJZ2dpDQoNCg0K77u/ QW0gMjQuMDguMjEsIDE1OjMzIHNjaHJpZWIgIkpvaG4gUGF1bCBBZHJpYW4gR2xhdWJpdHoiIDxn bGF1Yml0ekBwaHlzaWsuZnUtYmVybGluLmRlPjoNCg0KICAgIEhlbGxvIEphbWVzDQoNCiAgICBP biA4LzI0LzIxIDM6MzEgUE0sIEphbWVzIEJvbmQgd3JvdGU6DQogICAgPiB0ZXN0ZWQgb24gU3Vu IEJsYWRlIDE1MDAvMjUwMCAoYm90aCBzaWx2ZXIpIHdpdGggYW4gWFZSLTEyMDAuDQogICAgPiAN CiAgICA+IFRoZSAib2xkZXIiIGltYWdlIGF0IGxlYXN0IGJvb3RlZCB0byB0aGUgcG9pbnQgd2hl cmUgeW91IGhhdmUgdGhlIHNjcmliYmxlZA0KICAgID4gc2NyZWVuLCB0aGUgImxhdGVzdCIgaXNv IGRvZXMgbm90IGV2ZW4gY29tZSB0aGF0IGZhci4gT24gYm90aCBtYWNoaW5lcy4NCg0KICAgIEkg bmVlZCBzb21lIGVycm9yIG1lc3NhZ2VzLg0KDQogICAgSXQncyBub3QgcmVhbGx5IHBvc3NpYmxl IHRvIGRpYWdub3NlIHRoZSBwcm9ibGVtIHdpdGhvdXQgbW9yZSBpbmZvcm1hdGlvbi4NCg0KICAg IEFsc28sIHlvdSBjYW4gdHJ5IGEgc2xpZ2h0bHkgb2xkZXIgaW1hZ2UuDQoNCiAgICBBZHJpYW4N Cg0KICAgIC0tIA0KICAgICAuJydgLiAgSm9obiBQYXVsIEFkcmlhbiBHbGF1Yml0eg0KICAgIDog OicgOiAgRGViaWFuIERldmVsb3BlciAtIGdsYXViaXR6QGRlYmlhbi5vcmcNCiAgICBgLiBgJyAg IEZyZWllIFVuaXZlcnNpdGFldCBCZXJsaW4gLSBnbGF1Yml0ekBwaHlzaWsuZnUtYmVybGluLmRl DQogICAgICBgLSAgICBHUEc6IDYyRkYgOEE3NSA4NEUwIDI5NTYgOTU0NiAgMDAwNiA3NDI2IDNC MzcgRjVCNSBGOTEzDQoNCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 27 19:10:01 2021
    On Aug 25, 2021, at 10:18 PM, James Bond <bond6872@googlemail.com> wrote:

1). The Intenso CDRs are crap. I burnt a new disc and this one started Grub

Yes, good quality CD-Rs are important.

2). Before retrying to reinstall Debian I had booted into Solaris and thought rit would be a good moment to give Debian a try. And suddenly after loading Grub and some error messages that I have had before as well the installer switched mode and no
    fizzy screen output! So it looks like the XVR-1200 needs a pre-initialization and then the Debian terminal installer works.

Yes, it seems the card needs to be initialized and I assume the Linux kernel driver is missing something here. Firmware maybe which does the initialization?

4). Is there a size limitation with Debian sparc64? Wanted to install on one of the 146GB internal disks but during portioning I get the "warning" that the disk has "562253" cylinders which is greater than the maximum of "65536". The installer
    continues but when rebooting from the disk it stops with:
    Can't open disk2

There is no size limitation, but if you use GRUB with linked blocklists (anything older that SPARC T4), the partition which contains /boot must not be too large.

The installer will normally choose a small, separate /boot partition for that matter. So you run into this issue, it means you either deleted the /boot partition or your /boot partition is larger than a few GB (forgot the exact limit).

Adrian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Bond@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 27 20:10:02 2021
    SGkgQWRyaWFuLA0KDQpvaywganVzdCBsZXQgbWUga25vdyBpZiB5b3Ugd2FudCBhbiBYVlItMTIw MCB0byBpbnZlc3RpZ2F0ZSAoaWYgeW91IGV2ZW4gaGF2ZSB0aGUgdGltZSB0byBkbyBpdCkgYW5k IHRoZSByZXF1aXJlZCBoYXJkd2FyZSB0byBmaXQgdGhlIFhWUi0xMjAwLg0KDQpTdHJhbmdlIHRo aW5nLCB5ZXMsIEkgaGFkIC9ib290IHdpdGggYSBzaXplIG9mIDUxMk1CIChhcyBJIGhhZCBpbiB0 aGUgc2NyZWVuc2hvdCkuIGh0dHBzOi8vaWJiLmNvL1A5RmZkd1MNCg0KQ2hlZXJzDQoNCklnZ2kg DQoNCu+7v0FtIDI3LjA4LjIxLCAxOTowMiBzY2hyaWViICJKb2huIFBhdWwgQWRyaWFuIEdsYXVi aXR6IiA8Z2xhdWJpdHpAcGh5c2lrLmZ1LWJlcmxpbi5kZT46DQoNCg0KDQogICAgPiBPbiBBdWcg MjUsIDIwMjEsIGF0IDEwOjE4IFBNLCBKYW1lcyBCb25kIDxib25kNjg3MkBnb29nbGVtYWlsLmNv bT4gd3JvdGU6DQogICAgPiANCiAgICA+IDEpLiBUaGUgSW50ZW5zbyBDRFJzIGFyZSBjcmFwLiBJ IGJ1cm50IGEgbmV3IGRpc2MgYW5kIHRoaXMgb25lIHN0YXJ0ZWQgR3J1Yg0KDQogICAgWWVzLCBn b29kIHF1YWxpdHkgQ0QtUnMgYXJlIGltcG9ydGFudC4NCg0KICAgID4gMikuIEJlZm9yZSByZXRy eWluZyB0byByZWluc3RhbGwgRGViaWFuIEkgaGFkIGJvb3RlZCBpbnRvIFNvbGFyaXMgYW5kIHRo b3VnaHQgcml0IHdvdWxkIGJlIGEgZ29vZCBtb21lbnQgdG8gZ2l2ZSBEZWJpYW4gYSB0cnkuIEFu ZCBzdWRkZW5seSBhZnRlciBsb2FkaW5nIEdydWIgYW5kIHNvbWUgZXJyb3IgbWVzc2FnZXMgdGhh dCBJIGhhdmUgaGFkIGJlZm9yZSBhcyB3ZWxsIHRoZSBpbnN0YWxsZXIgc3dpdGNoZWQgbW9kZSBh bmQgbm8gZml6enkgc2NyZWVuIG91dHB1dCEgU28gaXQgbG9va3MgbGlrZSB0aGUgWFZSLTEyMDAg bmVlZHMgYSBwcmUtaW5pdGlhbGl6YXRpb24gYW5kIHRoZW4gdGhlIERlYmlhbiB0ZXJtaW5hbCBp bnN0YWxsZXIgd29ya3MuDQoNCiAgICBZZXMsIGl0IHNlZW1zIHRoZSBjYXJkIG5lZWRzIHRvIGJl IGluaXRpYWxpemVkIGFuZCBJIGFzc3VtZSB0aGUgTGludXgga2VybmVsIGRyaXZlciBpcyBtaXNz aW5nIHNvbWV0aGluZyBoZXJlLiBGaXJtd2FyZSBtYXliZSB3aGljaCBkb2VzIHRoZSBpbml0aWFs aXphdGlvbj8NCg0KICAgID4gNCkuIElzIHRoZXJlIGEgc2l6ZSBsaW1pdGF0aW9uIHdpdGggRGVi aWFuIHNwYXJjNjQ/IFdhbnRlZCB0byBpbnN0YWxsIG9uIG9uZSBvZiB0aGUgMTQ2R0IgaW50ZXJu YWwgZGlza3MgYnV0IGR1cmluZyBwb3J0aW9uaW5nIEkgZ2V0IHRoZSAid2FybmluZyIgdGhhdCB0 aGUgZGlzayBoYXMgIjU2MjI1MyIgY3lsaW5kZXJzIHdoaWNoIGlzIGdyZWF0ZXIgdGhhbiB0aGUg bWF4aW11bSBvZiAiNjU1MzYiLiBUaGUgaW5zdGFsbGVyIGNvbnRpbnVlcyBidXQgd2hlbiByZWJv b3RpbmcgZnJvbSB0aGUgZGlzayBpdCBzdG9wcyB3aXRoOg0KICAgID4gQ2FuJ3Qgb3BlbiBkaXNr Mg0KDQogICAgVGhlcmUgaXMgbm8gc2l6ZSBsaW1pdGF0aW9uLCBidXQgaWYgeW91IHVzZSBHUlVC IHdpdGggbGlua2VkIGJsb2NrbGlzdHMgKGFueXRoaW5nIG9sZGVyIHRoYXQgU1BBUkMgVDQpLCB0 aGUgcGFydGl0aW9uIHdoaWNoIGNvbnRhaW5zIC9ib290IG11c3Qgbm90IGJlIHRvbyBsYXJnZS4N Cg0KICAgIFRoZSBpbnN0YWxsZXIgd2lsbCBub3JtYWxseSBjaG9vc2UgYSBzbWFsbCwgc2VwYXJh dGUgL2Jvb3QgcGFydGl0aW9uIGZvciB0aGF0IG1hdHRlci4gU28geW91IHJ1biBpbnRvIHRoaXMg aXNzdWUsIGl0IG1lYW5zIHlvdSBlaXRoZXIgZGVsZXRlZCB0aGUgL2Jvb3QgcGFydGl0aW9uIG9y IHlvdXIgL2Jvb3QgcGFydGl0aW9uIGlzIGxhcmdlciB0aGFuIGEgZmV3IEdCIChmb3Jnb3QgdGhl IGV4YWN0IGxpbWl0KS4NCg0KICAgIEFkcmlhbg0K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 27 20:30:01 2021
    On Aug 27, 2021, at 8:03 PM, James Bond <bond6872@googlemail.com> wrote:

Strange thing, yes, I had /boot with a size of 512MB (as I had in the screenshot). https://ibb.co/P9FfdwS

That’s a rather unusual partition layout. I would suggest letting the installer determine the partition layout.

Your disk is either not using a Sun partition table or the /boot partition is missing the boot flag.

So please try the default partitioning scheme and see if that works.

Adrian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Bond@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 29 22:50:03 2021
    SGkgQWRyaWFuLA0KDQpzbyBpbnN0YWxsYXRpb24gd29ya2VkIChzdGlsbCBzb21lIGVycm9yIG1l c3NhZ2VzIGJ1dCBpdCB3b3JrZWQpLiBPaywgd2l0aCBteSBYVlItMTIwMCBpdCBsb29rcyBsaWtl IG5vIFggc3VwcG9ydCBhdCBhbGw/IHN0YXJ0eCBmYWlscyBhbmQgaXQgbG9va3MgbGlrZSAic3Vu ZmZiIiBpcyBtaXNzaW5nIHdoaWNoIHNlZW1zIHRvIGhhdmUgYmVlbiByZW1vdmVkIGxvbmcgdGlt ZSBhZ28gKHNwYXJjMzIgdG8gc3BhcmM2NCBtaWdyYXRpb24pLg0KDQpJIGhhdmUgYXR0YWNoZWQg c29tZSBzY3JlZW5zaG90cy4NCg0KaHR0cHM6Ly9pYmIuY28vc3dyeEJ2Vg0KaHR0cHM6Ly9pYmIu Y28vVEJRVERrYw0KDQpDaGVlcnMNCg0KSWdnaQ0KDQrvu79BbSAyNy4wOC4yMSwgMjA6MjAgc2No cmllYiAiSm9obiBQYXVsIEFkcmlhbiBHbGF1Yml0eiIgPGdsYXViaXR6QHBoeXNpay5mdS1iZXJs aW4uZGU+Og0KDQoNCg0KICAgID4gT24gQXVnIDI3LCAyMDIxLCBhdCA4OjAzIFBNLCBKYW1lcyBC b25kIDxib25kNjg3MkBnb29nbGVtYWlsLmNvbT4gd3JvdGU6DQogICAgPiANCiAgICA+IFN0cmFu Z2UgdGhpbmcsIHllcywgSSBoYWQgL2Jvb3Qgd2l0aCBhIHNpemUgb2YgNTEyTUIgKGFzIEkgaGFk IGluIHRoZSBzY3JlZW5zaG90KS4gaHR0cHM6Ly9pYmIuY28vUDlGZmR3Uw0KDQogICAgVGhhdOKA mXMgYSByYXRoZXIgdW51c3VhbCBwYXJ0aXRpb24gbGF5b3V0LiBJIHdvdWxkIHN1Z2dlc3QgbGV0 dGluZyB0aGUgaW5zdGFsbGVyIGRldGVybWluZSB0aGUgcGFydGl0aW9uIGxheW91dC4NCg0KICAg IFlvdXIgZGlzayBpcyBlaXRoZXIgbm90IHVzaW5nIGEgU3VuIHBhcnRpdGlvbiB0YWJsZSBvciB0 aGUgL2Jvb3QgcGFydGl0aW9uIGlzIG1pc3NpbmcgdGhlIGJvb3QgZmxhZy4NCg0KICAgIFNvIHBs ZWFzZSB0cnkgdGhlIGRlZmF1bHQgcGFydGl0aW9uaW5nIHNjaGVtZSBhbmQgc2VlIGlmIHRoYXQg d29ya3MuDQoNCiAgICBBZHJpYW4NCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05