• Gradle packaging status update

From Phil Morrell@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 20 18:20:01 2022
    Hi all, documenting my observations as of today because it's not looking promising for bookworm.

* kotlin FTBFS because of changes to support openjdk 17 #1012214
    * gradle FTBFS since an upload of libjansi-java 2.4.0 #1013545
    * gradle v6 has been (loosely) imported to the java-team repo
    https://salsa.debian.org/freexian-team/project-funding/-/issues/19#note_314274
    * I have not yet successfully built gradle v6 from gradle v6

The gradle-6.4.1-initial branch has a mix of patches, the series being I
    think just a dump from the GSoC repo, which itself I think didn't
    migrate the existing gradle v4 debianisation patches. To build at all,
    an additional change to remove-enterprise-plugin.patch is needed to drop build.gradle.kts#L36. See https://www.emorrp1.name/gradle/ for output.

Rebuilding fails to find ant-1.10.7.jar, since it is in +bootstrap but
    is 1.10.12 in debian. Oddly, this is still true after editing all
    references to the hardcoded version, trying to fudge with maven.rules
    and seems to be because of something gradle does to handle its own
    dependency resolution as hinted at by:

https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/gradle/-/commit/f16a4214840f46d44032840cfb52f52c145a662d#fc53ddfd6619eeea25e146e23133a9367c26a52b

I think the next thing I'll look into is improving the +bootstrap, which
    I think was just a dump of all the recursive jars it might possibly
    need. There's a bootstrap script in the source to update, and I liked
    the kotlin one, so will probable just import that. It'd be helpful if
    the artifacts were split into two, those that are output to the build
    and those that are just the frozen build-deps.

Feel free to chat with me in #debian-java on irc/matrix and if anyone
    has permissions to the Salsa java-team, please could you add me there.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iHUEABYKAB0WIQSBP39/Unco6Ai78+TbymUJHySObAUCYwEHXwAKCRDbymUJHySO bDm/AQDEBIGO10zwy3Pd451DH6qMjteXXZGUSCSzUYlf2KM1hwD9EnMLFQAM5kGd PcXI7p3hBdcqS4rs++sgIt/Xt2jSCgE=
    =gCHK
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Thorsten Glaser@21:1/5 to Phil Morrell on Sat Aug 20 18:40:01 2022
    On Sat, 20 Aug 2022, Phil Morrell wrote:

Hi all, documenting my observations as of today because it's not looking promising for bookworm.

If gradle depends on kotlin, it’s not eligible for stable anyway
    because kotlin currently depends on two unsupported JDKs that are
    available in unstable for bootstrapping and (old…‑)stable support
    but nothing else.

bye,
    //mirabilos
    --
    Infrastrukturexperte • tarent solutions GmbH
    Am Dickobskreuz 10, D-53121 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/
    Telephon +49 228 54881-393 • Fax: +49 228 54881-235
    HRB AG Bonn 5168 • USt-ID (VAT): DE122264941
    Geschäftsführer: Dr. Stefan Barth, Kai Ebenrett, Boris Esser, Alexander Steeg

**************************************************** /⁀\ The UTF-8 Ribbon
    ╲ ╱ Campaign against Mit dem tarent-Newsletter nichts mehr verpassen:  ╳  HTML eMail! Also, https://www.tarent.de/newsletter
    ╱ ╲ header encryption!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From tony mancill@21:1/5 to Phil Morrell on Sat Aug 20 20:00:01 2022
    Hi Phil,

On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 05:10:10PM +0100, Phil Morrell wrote:

Feel free to chat with me in #debian-java on irc/matrix and if anyone
    has permissions to the Salsa java-team, please could you add me there.

Done.

Cheers,
    tony

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEE5Qr9Va3SequXFjqLIdIFiZdLPpYFAmMBHx8ACgkQIdIFiZdL PpY4aA/+K0njyZXqy4+3fOzE7NnWjNEqFAXKapOKsGZ7pCWRMrHsLmjDJPtQ+iMr vJlA++EHTTNf7gXN/dMOIAqi4mJecT7PVY4l329qGNTQYzBxV+o90J7VHzz/zAB4 gaH7fP/wx+AQTtP9fmKYflO86W+KBxPuvLcaNLIOwDre9LEC54dfcmhrIIVyfmjx 5sYXTdrjs3ijgBi1ZLHinznNxE2pHlTME94CLGktTG96W74TAAvvxYli7AgqVkHK 5FoJh9kOVD9asUdjZ9vtdby040O3pUtz9KAVCSCiy7Tvkjs0AWHUWM1/vJ0jczVD oFUq0WpCRzuP3rqnDeFXxITZMbtfYCFfvesmb8DFZlHOSX5WbIfwNnutwZRjo4M6 E6NUo1tfpyIIgzJkq8a62IHG+hxOjsQX7G4pFSENIMTQvRc1J/tle825g2yV+ac6 xPYfhv9NsyOrCukQGCjP5gS6wUC2kkhnXz3OlmAwY09ItFa8Yv6Wne2PYvJD8y+5 KbSCFdQTSM/Dp79dnyKzo9OYep4HKrO5QrnhwnpCvFaycqF8P+uicc/XlSfJUWCn 4kYnOA7OCqe9iNuKtsCMLusM8oPHt3KXR6l/0aC7wF5lbP96V93Jxpy/seRh8Tk2 Ah+feLqotKDlGeRLdIfvVaA+OvmD1wHK3lxCm817mz7ngtfAEyk=
    =hKME

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Markus Koschany@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 22 15:10:01 2022
    Am Samstag, dem 20.08.2022 um 18:27 +0200 schrieb Thorsten Glaser:

but nothing else.

I agree, help with Kotlin would be really appreciated. At some point it started to FTBFS and this should be the first point of investigation. After that we should try to package a newer version that builds with and supports Java 17.

I'm making only slow progress with Gradle 6.x because of the long feedback loop (changing something, rebuilding and testing takes forever) but the goal is still to replace Grade 4. 

My conclusion so far is that Debian would be better off if we started to use different build systems whenever possible. Most of the time it would be a realistic task because many projects upload their artifacts to maven.org and we could port those Gradle projects to Maven based projects. I have started to work on a few projects and sometimes you could really just use javahelper to build an artifact and in the end building from source is the only thing we need.

Gradle might be a fantastic tool for visual and GUI driven developers and large projects which also use it as a project management tool. In Debian we just need something to build source code from the command line and Gradle is simply overkill in this regard.

iQKTBAABCgB9FiEErPPQiO8y7e9qGoNf2a0UuVE7UeQFAmMDf1ZfFIAAAAAALgAo aXNzdWVyLWZwckBub3RhdGlvbnMub3BlbnBncC5maWZ0aGhvcnNlbWFuLm5ldEFD RjNEMDg4RUYzMkVERUY2QTFBODM1RkQ5QUQxNEI5NTEzQjUxRTQACgkQ2a0UuVE7 UeR2JxAAwyFFgVr+dqbgJWUV4hgTa2Na3Y3P6/zFWA5C71FSVTfH+6642I/HEsU5 6atpQInJvjcQ3JwagLb17SUfoxYI5x2PpFvE4QmFTHF+9YVKhmw23VJrjHg0COIM oqa5YtrOYHfrDXkdkewuhqiCuThFXLz2ebD1h4rz2D3JjfCjQnedpaabKY0KDmmL 6rQjI+DsU+Cz4Lqbm0cdYoLSM4u10NTuiWKUNxrx7Z687+Rd56lstrMHBe1HtA5M hbgQhgrEKsusCtBQCpk10apwMsSiDW2u0FxJ4LwKPYzco1Z8PY7BzBMQNZu2a6fn 88DJ1hA2fyK9XUTsmkbD+dqDFuezscNNQXccT5b31YbCXXfCW6RDpJ8prsd+dhVT +xF1FNbvsu15HCzEIR3ctZ//PFZcEfC/TXY0MxbRlQ0yK72Kgry7e+JUeoNhDCYa jjRM0CJSFcW3vE9t3j/MAf03r779Gl+UpYBCXArLAeovsg8nU0fPVLe3TCQZG3iI 7G0C1u0cKbintg8gNg+eA09Kxkwq1a/GG379gFlUPqYP0CcD01YbpUSjljbLn3/f jaSBMBWYjnd/ZaBWgQ+qH6bOlrst8tbo/3wLGwuVi9HSl7Hvw1tw22lsry9ikT90 9+9lDM9YKMbgBhUx6mSZazOtORVbcORZKpMmE6PeFeS8Y/3XvK4=
    =EDmj

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Felix Natter@21:1/5 to Markus Koschany on Mon Aug 22 18:00:02 2022
    hello Markus and everyone else,

Markus Koschany <apo@debian.org> writes:

Hi all, documenting my observations as of today because it's not looking >> > promising for bookworm.

but nothing else.

I agree, help with Kotlin would be really appreciated. At some point it started
    to FTBFS and this should be the first point of investigation. After that we should try to package a newer version that builds with and supports Java 17.

I'm making only slow progress with Gradle 6.x because of the long feedback loop
    (changing something, rebuilding and testing takes forever) but the goal is still to replace Grade 4. 

thank you!

My conclusion so far is that Debian would be better off if we started to use different build systems whenever possible. Most of the time it would be a realistic task because many projects upload their artifacts to maven.org and we
    could port those Gradle projects to Maven based projects. I have started to work on a few projects and sometimes you could really just use javahelper to build an artifact and in the end building from source is the only thing we need.

Gradle might be a fantastic tool for visual and GUI driven developers and large
    projects which also use it as a project management tool. In Debian we just need
    something to build source code from the command line and Gradle is simply overkill in this regard.

I can speak for Freeplane and as an ex-java-Developer: Gradle is used
    for complex build systems, and I like it because it allows scripting via
    groovy (with my limited knowledge of maven, you have to add a plugin for
    _many_ things).

For Freeplane there are many quirks and fixes in gradle and it would be
    very hard to map all these (ok, some things like generating installers
    are not needed for a Debian build) to i.e. maven. It would be easier
    to downport to gradle4, but even that is far from being easy (you need
    to track errors that do not occur in upstream which may be subtle).

That's why I do not have the resources to package freeplane on my own.
    Not having gradle is a pity for d-java, and anyway, thanks for the
    effort you all put into it!

Cheers and Best Regards,
    Felix
    --
    Felix Natter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hans-Christoph Steiner@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 25 14:50:01 2022
    Markus Koschany:

Hi all, documenting my observations as of today because it's not looking >>> promising for bookworm.

but nothing else.

I agree, help with Kotlin would be really appreciated. At some point it started
    to FTBFS and this should be the first point of investigation. After that we should try to package a newer version that builds with and supports Java 17.

I'm making only slow progress with Gradle 6.x because of the long feedback loop
    (changing something, rebuilding and testing takes forever) but the goal is still to replace Grade 4.

My conclusion so far is that Debian would be better off if we started to use different build systems whenever possible. Most of the time it would be a realistic task because many projects upload their artifacts to maven.org and we
    could port those Gradle projects to Maven based projects. I have started to work on a few projects and sometimes you could really just use javahelper to build an artifact and in the end building from source is the only thing we need.

Gradle might be a fantastic tool for visual and GUI driven developers and large
    projects which also use it as a project management tool. In Debian we just need
    something to build source code from the command line and Gradle is simply overkill in this regard.

I totally agree that we should build without Gradle whenever possible. I'm also
    happy to hear you are still working on it, because there are many things that would not be feasible to build without Gradle.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05