• jblas update to 1.2.5?

From tony mancill@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 9 18:40:02 2021
    Hello Debian Med,

jblas (http://jblas.org/) is a Debian Java team package, but I think it
    is more appropriate to ask about users here. Upstream has released a
    new version, 1.2.5; Debian currently packages 1.2.4. From the upstream
    release notes:

Release 1.2.5 - Aug 20, 2020

It has been a while! Too long, maybe. In the meantime, GPUs and tensorflow and pytorch have raised the bar when
    it comes to ML related computing. Adding automatic differentiation to compute gradients has become a must-have feature
    jblas doesn't have. If you're interested in that for the JVM, have a look at deeplearning4j.org.

It seems people are still using jblas, therefore here is a small update which makes jblas work under ubuntu20.04 (amd64)
    and arm64. For these new versions, I switched to openblas, as performance seems to be comparable, but compilation is
    much easier.

Major changes and updates:

- updated Linux amd64 to work on ubuntu20.04. Updated libgfortran from version 3 to 4. Packaged libgfortran and
    libquadmath into the JAR file so you don't have to install libgfortran.so.3 anymore.
    - Switched from ATLAS to openblas. Because openblas is so much easier to compile and we can just use the libraries
    that are installed. Hopefully the performance / errors are the same.
    - Added libraries for arm64 (Raspberry Pis for 64bit images like ubuntu server) and AWS Graviton instances.

My first question is, do we have users? Is the software useful to
    maintain in Debian? The popcon for the package is low (around 15) and
    there haven't been recent bug reports. If there are users, I will
    gladly prepare an update.

And if we do update in Debian, I thought readers of this list might have opinions about whether I should switch the Debian packaging from
    building against lapack to openblas.

Thank you for your input!
    tony

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEE5Qr9Va3SequXFjqLIdIFiZdLPpYFAmGyPXMACgkQIdIFiZdL PpY5Ww//b7q2PPexvscq4gCASwHZQ5XyAoWL5Z+NYtRCUlCD3botbzAZkNq6SmRM 6VT48Y+qrS0ptMh7oOQIHbnz11MOmmmuk1edSqblBMXmKd5JSHquOlgXRkILUW6R Lsqgy5QJ6We7CDJvqkTE5xSczhusOyLTqAmX2Rz7YiT3BvF5JxuqUeY1KcQvZgDX notIoZ7GWsmilxnOue6W4W9WBfO9NdCpMGqZ/clRlb2vj8+yIgiM5r+SvL68mlia pb/vjFf06qbzc3pVtt5VdoGHqCLzlQ9jVA1Kqw5TMLexRR4Gb/AzNpSZiouTOjBc K8HFJfX9pK1qDbUK3LkkDgzs2nOQFtOOKpf17TLOKSNDdQsBNyMOJthw5WJSaeOK xsZOkPWA5oxzkElWSmQufRdOFw65GWSsO5g/p88m5xgh7+iyq8NuXHbF9DBMRfrg S815sLQRtsCvahe451psOHsKWzKkDhH+uDC7RnB1SkUwo6LoYQGEvmEISthAHCSP RGBuwAJZ4stqUjccpZLb5B2wADflhA0YxLPWdV0hKpBB33XVGzn4iCxYTYCNKU0E 4qBl4za2eF0/pxPf/oQY9cSluh13xarHA5ljK02DGLN+LnzfEBx6p7+SdDtkxIs2 o8cWZ9dyb2qC+09sv3i4zwbtVq/b+RHBxPmuUZrfrYLVmOqtvh0=
    =0UAI
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andreas Tille@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 10 07:30:02 2021
    Hi Tony and Debian Science

Am Thu, Dec 09, 2021 at 09:31:31AM -0800 schrieb tony mancill:
    Hello Debian Med,

jblas (http://jblas.org/) is a Debian Java team package, but I think it
    is more appropriate to ask about users here.

... well, better Debian Science IMHO (which I'm keeping in the row hereby)

Upstream has released a
    new version, 1.2.5; Debian currently packages 1.2.4. From the upstream release notes:

Release 1.2.5 - Aug 20, 2020

It has been a while! Too long, maybe. In the meantime, GPUs and tensorflow and pytorch have raised the bar when
    it comes to ML related computing. Adding automatic differentiation to compute gradients has become a must-have feature
    jblas doesn't have. If you're interested in that for the JVM, have a look at deeplearning4j.org.

It seems people are still using jblas, therefore here is a small update which makes jblas work under ubuntu20.04 (amd64)
    and arm64. For these new versions, I switched to openblas, as performance seems to be comparable, but compilation is
    much easier.

Major changes and updates:

- updated Linux amd64 to work on ubuntu20.04. Updated libgfortran from version 3 to 4. Packaged libgfortran and
    libquadmath into the JAR file so you don't have to install libgfortran.so.3 anymore.
    - Switched from ATLAS to openblas. Because openblas is so much easier to compile and we can just use the libraries
    that are installed. Hopefully the performance / errors are the same.
    - Added libraries for arm64 (Raspberry Pis for 64bit images like ubuntu server) and AWS Graviton instances.

My first question is, do we have users? Is the software useful to
    maintain in Debian? The popcon for the package is low (around 15) and
    there haven't been recent bug reports. If there are users, I will
    gladly prepare an update.

We never really know how good popcon works. I havn't found any rdepends
    for jblas and it does not ring a bell in connection with some Debian Med package. However, BLAS in general was discussed on Debian Science
    several times - not sure about tha Java implementation.

And if we do update in Debian, I thought readers of this list might have opinions about whether I should switch the Debian packaging from
    building against lapack to openblas.

As far as I know (which is not much!) we should favour openblas.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
    http://fam-tille.de

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)