• How to securely verify that package-installed files match originals?

From Erik Poupaert@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 14 12:00:01 2021
    I understand that I can run the following command to verify the
    installation footpring of a package:

dpkg -V <package>

The reason why I am carrying out this audit is, however, because I somehow suspect that the system could be compromised.

If the attacker has managed to subvert <package>, he could also have
    managed to subvert the dpkg audit command itself. Therefore, I cannot trust
    the self-referential audit:

dpkg -V dpkg

Therefore, I want to run the self-audit of the dpkg command from another system.

So, I mount the disk of this computer as folder /mnt/audit in my second computer, which I still trust. Now, I want to audit the installation foot
    print of dpkg in /mnt/audit from this second computer.

What command do I execute next on my second computer? Is there an option
    that allows me to do something similar to the following:

dpkg -V dpkg --remote-target /mnt/audit

Is there a way to audit the installation footprint of a package on one
    computer from a second computer?

<div dir="ltr">I understand that I can run the following command to verify the installation footpring of a package:<br><br>dpkg -V &lt;package&gt;<br><br>The reason why I am carrying out this audit is, however, because I somehow suspect that the system
    could be compromised.<br><br>If the attacker has managed to subvert &lt;package&gt;, he could also have managed to subvert the dpkg audit command itself. Therefore, I cannot trust the self-referential audit:<br><br>dpkg -V dpkg<br><br>Therefore, I want
    to run the self-audit of the dpkg command from another system.<br><br><div>So, I mount the disk of this computer as folder /mnt/audit in my second computer, which I still trust. Now, I want to audit the installation foot print of dpkg in /mnt/audit from
    this second computer.</div><div><br></div><div>What command do I execute next on my second computer? Is there an option that allows me to do something similar to the following:</div><br><div>dpkg -V dpkg --remote-target /mnt/audit</div><div><br></div><
    Is there a way to audit the installation footprint of a package on one computer from a second computer?<br></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bill Blough@21:1/5 to Erik Poupaert on Thu Jan 14 15:10:02 2021
    I haven't tried it with your use case, but you may be able to use
    debsums[1] for this. I know it has a bunch of options, including
    options to specify a list of checksums and directory to check.

[1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/debsums

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 05:56:29PM +0700, Erik Poupaert wrote:

dpkg -V <package>

The reason why I am carrying out this audit is, however, because I somehow suspect that the system could be compromised.

managed to subvert the dpkg audit command itself. Therefore, I cannot trust the self-referential audit:

dpkg -V dpkg

Therefore, I want to run the self-audit of the dpkg command from another system.

So, I mount the disk of this computer as folder /mnt/audit in my second computer, which I still trust. Now, I want to audit the installation foot print of dpkg in /mnt/audit from this second computer.

Is there a way to audit the installation footprint of a package on one computer from a second computer?

--
    GPG: 5CDD 0C9C F446 BC1B 2509 8791 1762 E022 7034 CF84

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Joel W Shea@21:1/5 to Erik Poupaert on Thu Jan 14 16:40:03 2021
    On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 21:57, Erik Poupaert <erik@sankuru.biz> wrote:

Is there a way to audit the installation footprint of a package on one computer from a second computer?

Assuming they're the same versions, something along the lines of;
    $ awk '{print $1" /mnt/audit/"$2}' /var/lib/dpkg/info/dpkg.md5sums |md5sum -c -

Otherwise;
    $ apt install --reinstall --download-only dpkg=$VERSION
    $ dpkg-deb -e /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_$VERSION_$ARCH.deb /tmp/dpkg
    $ awk '{print $1" /mnt/audit/"$2}' /tmp/dpkg/md5sums |md5sum -c -

I suppose once you've verified that, you could theoretically* run;
    $ chroot /mnt/audit dpkg -V

But that's assuming checksums in the dpkg database haven't been modified,
    so you'll probably want to download every package;
    $ cat /tmp/apt.conf <EOF
    Dir "/mnt/"
    {
    State::status "/mnt/audit/var/lib/dpkg/status";
    Cache "/tmp/archives";
    };
    EOF
    $ grep-dctrl -FStatus installed -n -s Package \
    /mnt/audit/var/lib/dpkg/status > /tmp/installed
    $ mkdir -p /tmp/archives/partial
    $ APT_CONFIG=/tmp/apt.conf apt-get install $(cat /tmp/installed)

And finally audit with debsums
    $ debsums --all --changed --generate=all --root=/mnt/audit \
    --deb-path=/tmp/archives $(cat /tmp/installed)

* Haven't tested either of these

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davide Prina@21:1/5 to Erik Poupaert on Thu Jan 14 18:40:01 2021
    On 14/01/21 11:56, Erik Poupaert wrote:

dpkg -V <package>

as suggested you can use debsums

you can also use

* to detect missing or unexplained files
    cruft

Note: the output can be very very long, save it to a file and set the
    --ignore flag to directory where you are sure there are no problems

* to detect rootkit
    chkrootkit
    rkhunter

If your system is compromised and try to understand from where they come
    in or you want to check for vulnerability on your system you can use (I
    never try these):
    checksecurity
    tiger

To see open security bugs on installed package:
    debian-security-support

Note that, in theory, your system can be compromised with code in
    RAM/GPU MEMORY/BIOS/UEFI/...
    For RAM and similar you can solve restarting your PC with a trusted
    system, but for others normally you are unable to check if something is
    wrong and from that PC can be that you cannot start a trusted system

I'm not a security expert, but this thinks is very interesting...

Ciao
    Davide

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JungHwan Kang@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 15 01:20:01 2021
    Hi, there is already useful information from other debianers.
    I just list tools and features below.

Tools
    - debsum
    - AIDE[1]

Features (of Linux kernel)
    - IMA-EVM [1]
    - fs-verity [3]

I think the debsum tool is a proper way for your use cases provided that
    you protect the integrity of checksum files
    securely. You need to get the files and isolate them from packages, apt-repository, and the remote filesystem.

[1] https://aide.github.io/
    [2] http://linux-ima.sourceforge.net/
    [3] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/filesystems/fsverity.html

2021년 1월 14일 (목) 오후 7:57, Erik Poupaert <erik@sankuru.biz>님이 작성:

dpkg -V <package>

managed to subvert the dpkg audit command itself. Therefore, I cannot trust the self-referential audit:

dpkg -V dpkg

So, I mount the disk of this computer as folder /mnt/audit in my second computer, which I still trust. Now, I want to audit the installation foot print of dpkg in /mnt/audit from this second computer.

<div dir="ltr"><div>Hi, there is already useful information from other debianers.</div><div>I just list tools and features below.</div><div><br></div>Tools<div>- debsum</div><div>- AIDE[1]</div><div>- ...</div><div><br></div><div>Features (of Linux
    kernel)</div><div>- IMA-EVM [1]</div><div>- fs-verity [3]</div><div>- ...<br><div><div><br></div><div>I think the debsum tool is a proper way for your use cases provided that you protect the integrity of checksum files</div><div>securely. You need to
    get the files and isolate them from packages, apt-repository, and the remote filesystem.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>[1] <a href="https://aide.github.io/">https://aide.github.io/</a><br></div></div></div><div>[2] <a href="http://linux-ima.
    sourceforge.net/">http://linux-ima.sourceforge.net/</a></div><div>[3] <a href="https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/filesystems/fsverity.html">https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/filesystems/fsverity.html</a></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote">
    <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">2021년 1월 14일 (목) 오후 7:57, Erik Poupaert &lt;<a href="mailto:erik@sankuru.biz">erik@sankuru.biz</a>&gt;님이 작성:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px
    solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr">I understand that I can run the following command to verify the installation footpring of a package:<br><br>dpkg -V &lt;package&gt;<br><br>The reason why I am carrying out this audit is, however,
    because I somehow suspect that the system could be compromised.<br><br>If the attacker has managed to subvert &lt;package&gt;, he could also have managed to subvert the dpkg audit command itself. Therefore, I cannot trust the self-referential audit:<br><
    dpkg -V dpkg<br><br>Therefore, I want to run the self-audit of the dpkg command from another system.<br><br><div>So, I mount the disk of this computer as folder /mnt/audit in my second computer, which I still trust. Now, I want to audit the
    installation foot print of dpkg in /mnt/audit from this second computer.</div><div><br></div><div>What command do I execute next on my second computer? Is there an option that allows me to do something similar to the following:</div><br><div>dpkg -V dpkg
    --remote-target /mnt/audit</div><div><br></div><div>Is there a way to audit the installation footprint of a package on one computer from a second computer?<br></div></div>
    </blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Georgi Guninski@21:1/5 to erik@sankuru.biz on Fri Jan 15 07:40:02 2021
    On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:57 PM Erik Poupaert <erik@sankuru.biz> wrote:

As pointed by others, integrity of checksums doesn't guarantee lack of backdoor, since the backdoor can be in other places, not seen by
    mount(8).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05