• Bits from the Release Team: ride like the wind, Bullseye!

From Jonathan Wiltshire@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 7 04:10:01 2019
    XPost: linux.debian.devel.release

Hi,

Shortly before the end of the 6th July, we released Debian 10, "buster".

There are too many people who should be thanked for their work on getting us to this point to list them all individually, and we would be sure to miss some. Nevertheless, we would like to particularly thank the installer team, the buildd and ftp teams, the CD team, the publicity team, the webmasters, the Release Notes editors, porters and all the bug squashers, NMUers, package maintainers and translators who have contributed to making buster a great release of which we should all be proud.

First point release
    ===================

As for stretch, we anticipate that the first point release for buster will occur in approximately one month's time.

Please co-ordinate fixes which you would like to see included in the point release with the Stable Release Managers (SRMs) via a "pu" bug against the release.debian.org pseudopackage, including a debdiff of the current and proposed source packages. Remember to use reportbug unless you enjoy crafting the metadata by hand.

No binary maintainer uploads for bullseye =========================================

The release of buster also means the bullseye release cycle is about to begin. From now on, we will no longer allow binaries uploaded by maintainers to migrate to testing. This means that you will need to do source-only uploads if you want them to reach bullseye.

Q: I already did a binary upload, do I need to do a new (source-only) upload?
    A: Yes (preferably with other changes, not just a version bump).

Q: I needed to do a binary upload because my upload went to the NEW queue,
    do I need to do a new (source-only) upload for it to reach bullseye?
    A: Yes. We also suggest going through NEW in experimental instead of unstable
    where possible, to avoid disruption in unstable.

Q: Does this also apply to contrib and non-free?
    A: No. Not all packages in contrib and non-free can be built on the buildds,
    so maintainer uploads will still be allowed to migrate for packages
    outside main.

All autopkgtest failures considered RC for bullseye ===================================================

From now on, all autopkgtest failures will be considered release-critical for bullseye. So if your package has failing autopkgtests, now is a good time to start looking for a fix.

Start working on bullseye
    =========================

With the start of the bullseye release cycle, you can now upload to unstable those changes you've been holding off during the freeze. Please do not rush to upload everything all at once, in order to manage load on the buildds etc. Automatic testing migration is not yet re-enabled, but that will happen during the next few days.

As with buster, we would ask that you co-ordinate particularly large transitions or changes; if your plans involve major toolchain changes or otherwise have the potential to cause problems in unstable for a long time (e.g. due to FTBFS issues), please talk to us. We know that there are a large number of changes which have been waiting for the release to happen and we're keen not to stand in the way of those but would also like to avoid a number of larger transitions becoming entangled.

That's it for now; it is time for the celebrations to begin, whether at a Release Party[1] or otherwise. :-)

1: https://wiki.debian.org/ReleasePartyBuster

For the release team:
    --
    Jonathan Wiltshire jmw@debian.org
    Debian Developer http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC 74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEEADLdyLGMneGYn8dtRNMqtfom+MkFAl0hTxEACgkQRNMqtfom +Mnl2hAAq3YEzG3s6K9zQ+r55sGcTcyRqYiw+/u7oWYzRURkHI9CnUrkC/cYK2x8 mu/zk77L3HH7D8tMCSCdwZFYCUkEDk3GBScmvDvn07FRUg41g6rlYfl8BFKwGaDN djpzuRD/eDVzbR1oQzGTU+hdm9O98skstSnn3N7M5FjAYcPIXeARUBgaZ5CCP5Dk zLU9wff/b7u6WMtPCcMmzkScAyhML0uOigghjOE4k3j7xdhRox2wG+jC9mZSDOdG DTEIixHAy+fCGTOKkC8fynxKfYbtmhS6r1EfsB2M+ME4ncwlF73P2a/JZOlmuNHt 66eLOBBIzp8JbA9ElmzFChX85eOGpLzznlW2B3PHUSwDUwyBQT1X8Ub4B279+b2j ics9M08Qk41pJibKXMzz0Nf6TdoW9HyK0ff4Kf8UbG/EHqx05zuwPh13zSKuGu2O Y5Du6HVy1Odg0b2mUtiQpNa7Gaiia/5a9T1QcPAGm1wqPlDF45i/caA0e6HN9Bnx hPi/qIBBFEWca2W798EAc0QGp16tFTa9/GcfO8gyTu7VGt4N+dNAv3e1HCYSFRF8 bf0OnPv3iKExqaM8J/tuUwIA7hx/vfRVlAgm4WkQaXhryKH9sHe3fyIQiSBoyiBW TR9XfIufSeVQ48eXsDoyxarKom3cUqdcLaQU82