• Touchpad driver on Lenovo X13 Yoga has major use-stopping bugs

From G.W.@21:1/5 to G.W. on Sun Jan 16 21:10:02 2022
    Are the developers aware of a major bug in the "ELAN0674:00 04F3:3193 Touchpad" touchpad driver?

I tried getting help for the problem of the touchpad suddenly requiring 2 fingers to move the cursor around (on USER list) but no help was offered. The touchpad situation deteriorates to get worse with more things going wrong without regular restarts.
    Having gone a few days without restarting the computer the touchpad settings have no failed to work at all. For example, even though I have "tap to click" disabled, tapping still results in a click. Even though I have the setting enabled to disable
    touchpad while typing, touchpad is not disable while typing.

these problems prevent any work from getting done cause typing results in the cursor moving position on its own resulting in my typing into a place above or below where I'm actually typing, among other problems.

Can anything be done to fix this situation? Or is my only fix to move to a different distro? The main reason I chose Debian is to not have to deal with crippling use bugs like this one. Are the devs doing anything to fix this bug ASAP? Can you offer any
    help?

I am running Debian 11 fully up to date on a Lenovo X13 Yoga Gen 2.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Friday, January 14th, 2022 at 10:41 AM, G.W. <grgwmsm@protonmail.com> wrote:

I was hoping someone could help me solve a problem on Debian 11 (bullseye) with GNOME 3.38.5. I am fully up to date.

I very much want to restore single finger function on touchpad without having to reboot. After using touchpad on Lenovo laptop for a while it often starts requiring 2 fingers on the touchpad to move the cursor and actions that would require 2 fingers
    then start requiring 3. Single finger is ignored entirely.

My touchpad driver appears to be: ELAN0674:00 04F3:3193 Touchpad

Rebooting always corrects the issue. but executing the following command does NOT correct the issue: xinput disable "ELAN0674:00 04F3:3193 Touchpad" && xinput enable "ELAN0674:00 04F3:3193 Touchpad"

Perhaps this is not a good medium for trying to solve this problem. Is there something akin to "Ask Ubuntu" that serves the Debian community? If this is not a good medium for solving this problem, can you please direct me an appropriate medium? I
    posted this question on the Debian forums but have received zero replies.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Tomas Pospisek@21:1/5 to G.W. on Mon Jan 17 09:20:01 2022
    Hi G.W.,

I don't think the debian-devel mailing list is the right place to debug
    this. Debugging this will need going back and forth over logs etc. The
    best place to advance on this problem is to go the debian IRC channel https://wiki.debian.org/IRC and do the diagnosing interactively there.

Greetings,
    *t

On 16.01.22 21:03, G.W. wrote:
    Are the developers aware of a major bug in the "ELAN0674:00 04F3:3193 Touchpad" touchpad driver?

I tried getting help for the problem of the touchpad suddenly requiring 2 fingers to move the cursor around (on USER list) but no help was offered. The touchpad situation deteriorates to get worse with more things going wrong without regular restarts.
    Having gone a few days without restarting the computer the touchpad settings have no failed to work at all. For example, even though I have "tap to click" disabled, tapping still results in a click. Even though I have the setting enabled to disable
    touchpad while typing, touchpad is not disable while typing.

these problems prevent any work from getting done cause typing results in the cursor moving position on its own resulting in my typing into a place above or below where I'm actually typing, among other problems.

Can anything be done to fix this situation? Or is my only fix to move to a different distro? The main reason I chose Debian is to not have to deal with crippling use bugs like this one. Are the devs doing anything to fix this bug ASAP? Can you offer
    any help?

I am running Debian 11 fully up to date on a Lenovo X13 Yoga Gen 2.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Friday, January 14th, 2022 at 10:41 AM, G.W. <grgwmsm@protonmail.com> wrote:

I was hoping someone could help me solve a problem on Debian 11 (bullseye) with GNOME 3.38.5. I am fully up to date.

I very much want to restore single finger function on touchpad without having to reboot. After using touchpad on Lenovo laptop for a while it often starts requiring 2 fingers on the touchpad to move the cursor and actions that would require 2 fingers
    then start requiring 3. Single finger is ignored entirely.

My touchpad driver appears to be: ELAN0674:00 04F3:3193 Touchpad

Rebooting always corrects the issue. but executing the following command does NOT correct the issue: xinput disable "ELAN0674:00 04F3:3193 Touchpad" && xinput enable "ELAN0674:00 04F3:3193 Touchpad"

Perhaps this is not a good medium for trying to solve this problem. Is there something akin to "Ask Ubuntu" that serves the Debian community? If this is not a good medium for solving this problem, can you please direct me an appropriate medium? I
    posted this question on the Debian forums but have received zero replies.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)