• Call for testing: wpa-supplicant/hostapd in experimental

From Andrej Shadura@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 26 11:10:02 2021
    Hi all,

First of all, let me explain what wpa-supplicant and hostapd are, just in case it’s the first time you see the names.
    They are two complementary parts implementing the WPA and related protocols, which make Wi-Fi connection secure. Unless you’re 100% time on an fixed Ethernet connection, you’re likely using the wpa-supplicant (the client), and if you own a Wi-Fi
    access point, most likely it runs hostapd (the server) inside. An alternative to wpa-supplicant is the Intel wireless daemon (iwd).

The upstream of hostapd and wpa-supplicant has been preparing a new version for some time, and it seems things are getting stabilised, so I’d like to upload it to unstable when it gets released. From what I can tell, some oft-requested features (WNM,
    MBO, FILS and mesh networking) have been improved since the last release, so I’m considering shipping them enabled in Bookworm.

There’s a recent snapshot of the upcoming release in experimental right now. Please consider installing and testing it on your hardware. I myself only own devices with relatively trouble-free Wi-Fi hardware (Intel), so I’m hardly representative of
    our user base, but I have just switched to that snapshot myself.

I intend to upload the next snapshot to unstable directly in about a month or so if things go well, so it can be tested by more people, but it would be great if as many people as possible could test it before that.

--
    Cheers,
    Andrej

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From =?utf-8?Q?=C3=89tienne?= Mollier@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 27 17:00:01 2021
    Hi Andrej,

Andrej Shadura, on 2021-11-26:
    The upstream of hostapd and wpa-supplicant has been preparing
    a new version for some time, and it seems things are getting
    stabilised, so I’d like to upload it to unstable when it gets
    released. From what I can tell, some oft-requested features
    (WNM, MBO, FILS and mesh networking) have been improved since
    the last release, so I’m considering shipping them enabled in
    Bookworm.

There’s a recent snapshot of the upcoming release in
    experimental right now. Please consider installing and testing
    it on your hardware. I myself only own devices with relatively
    trouble-free Wi-Fi hardware (Intel), so I’m hardly
    representative of our user base, but I have just switched to
    that snapshot myself.

Installed wpasupplicant:i386 2:2.9.0+git20211116+0b853303ae31-1
    on my old Eee PC X101CH, no obvious breakages to report for the
    moment; will shout when I find them.

Thank you for maintaining wpa!

Have a nice day, :)
    --
    Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
    Fingerprint: 8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c 8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da
    Sent from /dev/pts/1, please excuse my verbosity.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEEj5GyJ8fW8rGUjII2eTz2fo8NEdoFAmGiU54ACgkQeTz2fo8N EdqMpQ//UgVPRhsYrnsXKB3VbT5/czlLYfAtlWO/riTwzYGTkGg+xsZP/Lz+YFa/ mJLc7RsW4bpDuNY1vi2whyJb35uRTlyCdtn9Q4Zf5bsoayCqx866Ys9rPylmKmED CEYpSwwATvWzWt2GHAWposyAvNOGUjQWG3nU8DQ5ugpZZ4QrLhBRtfOivxiQouNZ Q125MHg9vOwG30FFaQ5pGe6BDd9FZqNTLxrL9Z146Vw0kQA3vT1qouBaNXMhhV7B jtqrCJ2HqPJXwBVTxWi64z7pTghA6GR1ZbyOVBjHyllnWp1QkMxXeRNro0ECe7V7 nw8IlWzPqLqJFshIImezaX2XcdkFIkGcB68g1gwyxC/s7P2mlHKkUXAcxJQqMhTG GI+5Wl6k+5lyp9jzh43CpRjXlOqmwFWmZqyw2BAJAelxJmPMsh7FWK/v0eiKyYfm E/wCK5kVHJZ+DNzTVVFBYCMwbHL4+ipHjsXO2gjrm5Su6pMx7sDPRuqpJAaJ25iR C7iAFSKc1GJMjFGqwZvT0U9b2ZUbt1Et6b3XG2erhej5JYeW7Qcj+Ikw+JcniI7d f/fxvJ/GUW1331cfkKadYPHnhRvaTC9PUGMa/6+F+PrZUPj8UGWygkL/asz+0nvC pFBcRPez1m5lSud6qytsfQc0a4udfxwcGDaaeOHELXHMiTJHyP8=
    =W50s
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- Sou