• Re: Firmwares (was Re: Bits from the DPL)

From Andrey Rakhmatullin@21:1/5 to Vincent Bernat on Sat Apr 6 09:51:30 2024
    On Mon, Apr 01, 2024 at 06:27:29PM +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
    On 2024-04-01 18:05, Jonathan Carter wrote:
    The included firmware contributed to Debian 12 being a huge success,
    but it wasn't the only factor.

Unfortunately, the shipped firmwares are now almost a year old, including
    for unstable. I am following the progress since quite a few years and I have seen many possible contributors trying to help and fail. The current situation is that Debian does not work well with recent AMD-based laptops
    due to firmware being too old. Therefore, we are back at users trying to update the firmware by copying them from random places (as for myself, I am using the deb generated by upstream's Makefile).

My personal impression is that we are repeating a common scheme in Debian: maintainers don't have time to move forward due to the task being
    non-trivial for reasons of our own, people are proposing to help (6 people
    in [1]), but this is ignored by the maintainers as they don't have time.

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/firmware-nonfree/-/merge_requests
    Why is updating the firmware packages not trivial? Is it because of
    licensing issues? I always thought it's just copying a bunch of files from
    the linux-firmware repo (but I also often wondered why is the package
    often not up to date).

--
    WBR, wRAR

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQJhBAABCgBLFiEEolIP6gqGcKZh3YxVM2L3AxpJkuEFAmYK8dktFIAAAAAAFQAP cGthLWFkZHJlc3NAZ251cGcub3Jnd3JhckBkZWJpYW4ub3JnAAoJEDNi9wMaSZLh dCAP/21INTtwAwar8wu+AuY7DMDBYp6xFPGAEpeqTyWpvNtotoiNU/3mkeybTSH5 c94E8i00vYOtNoFZyhhQfdAppUcaeVtIs0fO57zKoJCM7GstPxABl/zJxG2Nxbgk NEd+yj5uPEupqWqGnqJ107nefrIPMVJHKXQ+ThQV85tsPO+L3x4zz9mZK+QYZypx urGwYnaaZT3hlJnAMpJYDmjs4pSb4PpoW0Mqm3eqPosS/puFhgZptqtYM7ECSHYC BXE7iqBr+fA5ojSqab1n0Z24S+QXglK2i+Qio4XakHzxZfVqrv5LXVPe+7+HRFwU ZXjtpSQNSkjOFBpA9g/VRSUCXmoPEmejR1qmBOE6gxNeZAO9rQ63qPNdYdoCpRR/ MbHkz2H+IEN9GSW44m71AYGLoo7MXwaYwvxaFSxBSrbezNb9+q7wpzCT6cwoWKAY unnP0pAmLHGWlfm3DSEiSsyiuwEg/DClF+TsSrQABE0aGq+vq1QXl0dOih5egnKE JpxSVe7KGP/oZK7FhL+NdG07j94qNDFVE7L673V66YW3aUXSwuiYLVlyfm1ScA5K ZsO7fYmWgoebBrcLtLINgBZahU9CgM5nAGWmvCalkm9NUeDs7DMjtOLQMgTr/sg5 uap/lkHidNREvXykFD341kjWKo/Ree5oSQPTKZAVQfU5XTrs
    =TgnA
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Didier 'OdyX' Raboud@21:1/5 to All on Tue Apr 2 22:42:18 2024
    Le lundi, 1 avril 2024, 19.41:45 h CEST Andrey Rakhmatullin a écrit :
    Why is updating the firmware packages not trivial? Is it because of
    licensing issues? I always thought it's just copying a bunch of files from the linux-firmware repo (but I also often wondered why is the package
    often not up to date).

My recollection, after getting some MRs merged in the firmware-nonfree package last cycle (oh, a year gone already), is that it's a mix of:

* the maintainers in position to review, then merge the proposed changes are few, and have plenty on their hands;

* firmware packages seem to have lower priority during the development cycle, in favour of larger updated shortly-before (or during) the freeze;

* upstream and Debian (maintainers) are not in complete agreement on what can, or should be shipped in packages; from README.source:
    Also, some of its contents are not clearly redistributable, and some are obsolete for Debian's purposes.

So almost every file addition needs a careful `git log` review to check for origin, updates, reasoning, version strings, etc. Unless there's tooling I have not found; it's tedious, error-prone (and not very interesting) work (although quite arguably necessary).

* packaging is very smart, but peculiar (or at least, quite different to what I had been used to before I touched it). Despite good documentation, it's quite a steep intro for newcomers.

All-in-all, I think it's an all-too-classical case of "we don't have enough humanpower for the job we set out to do". Add a team of motivated individuals to gain the confidence of the existing "already-plenty-on-their-plates maintainers", to then maintain the package on their own. Oh, wait…

--
    OdyX
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iHUEABYIAB0WIQTjpQ0b6NokWkvBQbzqgwvGpoTNfAUCZgxtqgAKCRDqgwvGpoTN fImUAQDwAQ+acgRWlWcdG1eEA2+RNdMfmijOqMh5jbxG9gHLegEAmjpijZqXFm8r LWma9JfuHLuaKESZmdzKj1CtcQU8Zgw=
    =Lf3i
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)