• Re: Bug email is not getting to me

From Andrea Pappacoda@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 25 22:50:02 2022
    Il giorno dom 25 set 2022 alle 15:42:40 -05:00:00, Steven Robbins <steve@sumost.ca> ha scritto:
    When I first started with Debian many many years ago, I would
    routinely see
    email for bug reports submitted against packages I maintain, and
    responses to
    said bugs. Nowadays I get essentially none of that.

Hi, I think that this is related to bug #754809.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Geert Stappers@21:1/5 to Steven Robbins on Sun Sep 25 23:00:02 2022
    On Sun, Sep 25, 2022 at 03:42:40PM -0500, Steven Robbins wrote:
    Hi,

When I first started with Debian many many years ago, I would routinely see email for bug reports submitted against packages I maintain, and responses to said bugs. Nowadays I get essentially none of that. The only way I see such responses is by perusing bugs via the web interface -- which I do infrequently
    so messages languish.

I may have missed when something changed over the years. Is there something I
    must do to get bugs.debian.org to reliably send me email?

I just noticed today that this applies even to responses that apparently directly CC my debian address; e.g. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/ bugreport.cgi?bug=1020397;msg=10

I literally searched my mail logs for the Message-ID in question and it is not
    reported. So it appears to have been hung up somewhere. How can I debug this?

I have sent a test email to my debian address and it came through. So I think
    email is normally being delivered. Just not from bug reports.

Who is running the incoming mail server?

P.S. This has been happening for months if not years. It's just that I haven't been motivated to ask the question until now.

So the change might be "fresh".

P.P.S. I don't subscribe to any debian lists, so it is appreciated to directly cc me in replies.

You are welcome

Groeten
    Geert Stappers
    Runs his own mail server
    --
    Silence is hard to parse

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Robbins@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 25 15:42:40 2022
    Copy: smr@debian.org (smr)

Hi,

When I first started with Debian many many years ago, I would routinely see email for bug reports submitted against packages I maintain, and responses to said bugs. Nowadays I get essentially none of that. The only way I see such responses is by perusing bugs via the web interface -- which I do infrequently so messages languish.

I may have missed when something changed over the years. Is there something I must do to get bugs.debian.org to reliably send me email?

I just noticed today that this applies even to responses that apparently directly CC my debian address; e.g. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/ bugreport.cgi?bug=1020397;msg=10

I literally searched my mail logs for the Message-ID in question and it is not reported. So it appears to have been hung up somewhere. How can I debug
    this?

I have sent a test email to my debian address and it came through. So I think email is normally being delivered. Just not from bug reports.

Thanks,
    -Steve

P.S. This has been happening for months if not years. It's just that I haven't been motivated to ask the question until now.

P.P.S. I don't subscribe to any debian lists, so it is appreciated to
    directly cc me in replies.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCAAdFiEEy89k8fa3rclNjyokyeVeL63I9LkFAmMwvUAACgkQyeVeL63I 9LnOAxAAjCCNvrArGNy4MEchijLY/2CTM9tqOv+Z1TP+ajURNExznRvr2zSu3FFH oztyyrHW8P+ktTOboT7hExqDUHMiAJwjeYwgenr13tpj3Bm+1Ps05eQQBTzXE+rV 7BQzYgpz0/O9k4dJER/6ihlZFgqVRhc99KcOGtzxGoD/qTmQUrff38wuLD3qVQoy /MxYc1OLR+LMUvLB9Q+F5VFZuM7SPM4BMiN3S2/WHRxe6X0vmw4e5ltd1zvINcwH PB0h1wcvexT5X6rL1t2Bur4/qiVjJh5owwQ4jxT3aMuMs737bTdHtqVBHDbPNUeD xpnRBRxdpzeor/Y1s1MUfY7NEI32U3vvEj46vqdjGlHB1SVuGupdF3HkuzURZo7h ujNAwlTopWqN7boR2BZM0z+VmCCFA2YIPnNgRVO/UE6F9s7tjC89feyBWt67XsD9 ftD/R4bEdJ9i/m5OWXolH1ze/EjhIqV2QJTEEsfc5LwiZtpqzi9Oa9ooD4hU55Fz mYd74Oin1pN3zOWH4kXc9eHMrKb4NNJi5hW85UCrtEW2r01RuMQIGnUESfgo4eid hgz6h0Gd7KwvD06/umTt9Ai7Sniy8M3Xu8XZYfdoOzsd0DyO316HETvGPs4MjipQ iJkfP19rDomzXKT6xfv5oMIUPceP4DaiVm5y3iIj8xxwrQ39yvo=
    =Qsch
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Robbins@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 25 16:20:18 2022
    On Sunday, September 25, 2022 3:49:37 P.M. CDT Geert Stappers wrote:
    On Sun, Sep 25, 2022 at 03:42:40PM -0500, Steven Robbins wrote:

I literally searched my mail logs for the Message-ID in question and it is not reported. So it appears to have been hung up somewhere. How can I debug this?

I have sent a test email to my debian address and it came through. So I think email is normally being delivered. Just not from bug reports.

Who is running the incoming mail server?

The mail server is run by my ISP (shaw.ca). Using fetchmail, I pick up the email via IMAP and send it into my local server. So in my original message when I said I had checked the logs -- it was my local server logs.

To re-iterate: mail sent today to my debian address from outside debian came through OK. Mail sent from bugs.debian.org apparently does not. I think if there were any issue with the incoming email server (e.g. the DMARC thing that Andrea Pappacoda referenced) that would affect all email to me at debian, wouldn't it?

-Steve

iQIzBAABCAAdFiEEy89k8fa3rclNjyokyeVeL63I9LkFAmMwxhIACgkQyeVeL63I 9LmotRAAiaoxxBB6IvptFvfNg1hOyZzcheTTYm5Aoq4RdRh6ZIbTyG+1HV64JufZ 8cw5pCLW3xqF1f4I0lze/xDcGsjXMeMscMf9pU/ZOlorRbh9H6UZYq8qa7OuyX5v thLzmcbF9drzjjSwf6dhg5yUR4UMCN4IfzQiZ6Hq5ll+i++miv+pzgrET8P7fi5G GRdh909HLP3q7shct/X5zAa66FqG0IiX2OCIDrfMhRjuoM6YPDkuOcwyGLKewaQr o/GVcWVbZ78m0x0dYEbERx+nShe4Hy5H1TpbVkCCarG+J2WPIhC9rfpETJ4VUrBK 33nYC3Hh2M2CvoSAbIC9AZ3EM06spF4aAkIkgbTrGqriCRdPZjJ7cNvD23d0s1qF XRJLn4RA70L63hVOsRcfhVnxa/NpzIXQgk0N3cTG681pDGjXaXsFa2ALREG3F8vW PqL2VYo8p3fkWXjNA4WzxYb1vLeb206uDCoCfGwgDnoExjhGtG+QCwbQIknpn1lG 1QNECa/DzefeipxwCozM1vR0yz4aHf5lq293xefk1W8yk05lrF73E0eQNQ0YWuxf nCKO2sOd7vbyrOSJ57kvoUYMIIgEiNFJNxSsWVQ0uspD2pcnGXFIMILUWkdBazci AURlCInm9/bz4Gh9ZoQN5R+yHOCfgIARb7hM1Ov02DzyeIO8PgE=
    =Xs0a

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Adam D. Barratt@21:1/5 to Steven Robbins on Sun Sep 25 23:50:01 2022
    On Sun, 2022-09-25 at 15:42 -0500, Steven Robbins wrote:
    When I first started with Debian many many years ago, I would
    routinely see
    email for bug reports submitted against packages I maintain, and
    responses to
    said bugs. Nowadays I get essentially none of that. The only way I
    see such
    responses is by perusing bugs via the web interface -- which I do infrequently
    so messages languish.

I may have missed when something changed over the years. Is there
    something I
    must do to get bugs.debian.org to reliably send me email?

I just noticed today that this applies even to responses that
    apparently
    directly CC my debian address; e.g. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/ bugreport.cgi?bug=1020397;msg=10

The copy of that mail to your debian.org address is being rejected by
    your mail server (slightly harvesting-fudged by me; the original log
    has valid addresses):

2022-09-25 13:52:49 1obmVB-00FbmZ-3r == steve.robbins [at] shaw.ca
    R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (-46) H=shw-central.mx.a.cloudfilter.net [15.222.199.59] DT=4s: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: 421 4.2.0 <debian [at] alteholz.de> sender rejected AUP#SNDR

If you want to know _why_, I suggest you talk to the mail server
    operator and/or check your settings.

Regards,

Adam

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Russ Allbery@21:1/5 to Steven Robbins on Mon Sep 26 00:00:01 2022
    Steven Robbins <steve@sumost.ca> writes:

To re-iterate: mail sent today to my debian address from outside debian
    came through OK. Mail sent from bugs.debian.org apparently does not. I think if there were any issue with the incoming email server (e.g. the
    DMARC thing that Andrea Pappacoda referenced) that would affect all
    email to me at debian, wouldn't it?

No, the annoying thing about the DMARC problem is that its effect depends
    on the configuration settings of the person sending the email.

If someone sends mail from a domain that says all mail from that domain
    will always have good DKIM signatures, and if the signature isn't present
    or doesn't validate the mail should be rejected, and that message is
    forwarded through bugs.debian.org to someone whose mail server honors
    DMARC settings, the mail will be rejected. That's because the process of modifying the message in the way that bugs.debian.org needs to do (adding
    the bug number to the Subject header, for instance) usually breaks the signature.

If you send mail from a domain that has a more relaxed (or no) DMARC configuration, then your mail will go through fine and you'll not see the problem.

--
    Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Robbins@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 25 20:52:01 2022
    Thanks to all who responded. I have learned a lot!

On Sunday, September 25, 2022 4:57:19 P.M. CDT Russ Allbery wrote:

To re-iterate: mail sent today to my debian address from outside debian came through OK. Mail sent from bugs.debian.org apparently does not. I think if there were any issue with the incoming email server (e.g. the DMARC thing that Andrea Pappacoda referenced) that would affect all
    email to me at debian, wouldn't it?

No, the annoying thing about the DMARC problem is that its effect depends
    on the configuration settings of the person sending the email.

Oh! OK. So Adam Barratt found a log somewhere that confirms my ISP is blocking the sender.

will always have good DKIM signatures, and if the signature isn't present
    or doesn't validate the mail should be rejected, and that message is forwarded through bugs.debian.org to someone whose mail server honors
    DMARC settings, the mail will be rejected. That's because the process of modifying the message in the way that bugs.debian.org needs to do (adding
    the bug number to the Subject header, for instance) usually breaks the signature.

So are you effectively confirming this is indeed the DMARC bug [1] filed in 2014?

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=754809

If you send mail from a domain that has a more relaxed (or no) DMARC configuration, then your mail will go through fine and you'll not see the problem.

Well, OK. But I'm the recipient not the sender so this advice is hard to implement :-)

-Steve

iQIzBAABCAAdFiEEy89k8fa3rclNjyokyeVeL63I9LkFAmMxBcEACgkQyeVeL63I 9LljyBAAowMHDKcnbWZoa87lzWV6pwehnl1aKYJkYZBgEXfbHmcMs2i0RqAvb+sm wVeiDQ//iGiGepbmmaOmK3Vov4RY9YHEjTt8vLJBX2Oo5urrpZh8+DJPHWn5+O0d h8JcRvFYgIWs/N3cCojJRQKCHq048NfC5JNk1JtURBAirlEADgsxjIpdktaJGc5Q IsTJ/t9wDSsiBhwt3OrZXe4QwW+nM6H+1/QsQ5tWYSD+owPNFsoKIOWsX3GN0ElQ wYwDkw2hb72A5B//Ix+3QNaHeVgCMe2jhv+zhUSQs2OY4VuXWgNrti9MAavqmWgI OJC448DrCqBL6kxSWh2RN/wrXDOBvp4dVczmJd6EOsdvTsM1L46QEZXhK4ZUMCy5 PC8CvmTWdOtY7veZ1pPYUZOckv/THKbbdKNTjmEy3PD796qB3YHT0j/brtI1Yx1z UjYrRRcck/9fziH6nVF0dkey/UwB5bz86T/ZnsGi+MdHY6t5Fcu7b56ofEPjUNs6 wRkSSmZnoCPAsrePxC3FvAEISPlETQuKh8hNFF/BpLbvHcnVGLLoAk5C6kGRXqb6 yfnnvXnpZP5Q8/l+cges21YowgnA8k3hCmDMM+fewpyepz82oGxUbsniQ+28vQTk AK0Cq0yj0LgS82IPp5i+bsoolCROMEM4+UCv5scH30lVq0coFnI=
    =tR1t

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Russ Allbery@21:1/5 to Steven Robbins on Mon Sep 26 04:10:01 2022

will always have good DKIM signatures, and if the signature isn't
    present or doesn't validate the mail should be rejected, and that
    message is forwarded through bugs.debian.org to someone whose mail
    server honors DMARC settings, the mail will be rejected. That's
    because the process of modifying the message in the way that
    bugs.debian.org needs to do (adding the bug number to the Subject
    header, for instance) usually breaks the signature.

So are you effectively confirming this is indeed the DMARC bug [1] filed
    in 2014?

Yeah, that's my guess. It's a very common problem.

The right solution is probably for bugs.debian.org to rewrite all incoming
    mail to change the From header to a debian.org address (probably the bug address) and add a Reply-To header pointing to the original sender. This
    is the fix that Mailman mostly uses, and it seems to work (I've had this problem with multiple mailing lists I run and turning on this message
    mangling has fixed it). But of course someone has to find time to
    implement this.

--
    Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theodore Ts'o@21:1/5 to Russ Allbery on Mon Sep 26 20:50:01 2022
    On Sun, Sep 25, 2022 at 07:00:38PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

will always have good DKIM signatures, and if the signature isn't
    present or doesn't validate the mail should be rejected, and that
    message is forwarded through bugs.debian.org to someone whose mail
    server honors DMARC settings, the mail will be rejected. That's
    because the process of modifying the message in the way that
    bugs.debian.org needs to do (adding the bug number to the Subject
    header, for instance) usually breaks the signature.

So are you effectively confirming this is indeed the DMARC bug [1] filed
    in 2014?

Yeah, that's my guess. It's a very common problem.

The right solution is probably for bugs.debian.org to rewrite all incoming mail to change the From header to a debian.org address (probably the bug address) and add a Reply-To header pointing to the original sender. This
    is the fix that Mailman mostly uses, and it seems to work (I've had this problem with multiple mailing lists I run and turning on this message mangling has fixed it). But of course someone has to find time to
    implement this.

Yeah, what would be nice is if it massaged the From header to
    something like this:

Reply-to: Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu>

That makes things a bit friendlier for various mail user agents, while bypassing the DKIM signature problem. But as Russ said, the trick is
    finding someone with time to implement the change in the Debian BTS...

- Ted

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sean Whitton@21:1/5 to Russ Allbery on Fri Sep 30 17:10:01 2022
    Hello,

On Sun 25 Sep 2022 at 07:00PM -07, Russ Allbery wrote:

The right solution is probably for bugs.debian.org to rewrite all incoming mail to change the From header to a debian.org address (probably the bug address) and add a Reply-To header pointing to the original sender. This
    is the fix that Mailman mostly uses, and it seems to work (I've had this problem with multiple mailing lists I run and turning on this message mangling has fixed it). But of course someone has to find time to
    implement this.

ARC is meant to be an alternative to this, eventually, right?

--
    Sean Whitton

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ansgar@21:1/5 to Sean Whitton on Fri Sep 30 17:50:01 2022
    On Fri, 2022-09-30 at 08:00 -0700, Sean Whitton wrote:
    On Sun 25 Sep 2022 at 07:00PM -07, Russ Allbery wrote:

The right solution is probably for bugs.debian.org to rewrite all incoming mail to change the From header to a debian.org address (probably the bug address) and add a Reply-To header pointing to the original sender.  This is the fix that Mailman mostly uses, and it seems to work (I've had this problem with multiple mailing lists I run and turning on this message mangling has fixed it).  But of course someone has to find time to implement this.

I doubt that. You would need to trust all mail relays (like lists.d.o)
    to not be abusive, otherwise it would be trivial to abuse this.

Ansgar

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marco d'Itri@21:1/5 to Sean Whitton on Fri Sep 30 17:50:01 2022
    On Sep 30, Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> wrote:

Right, but it has been such for so many years now that I am not holding
    my breath waiting for it.

--
    ciao,
    Marco

iHUEABYIAB0WIQQnKUXNg20437dCfobLPsM64d7XgQUCYzcN6QAKCRDLPsM64d7X gb39AP0Ub2vxbW6EBRG18MFhce3+NAJAy7tPe3ltNadZk1Hz5wD/Tkd5GWn8U/+C 02ihJiqhkREb43DSKpcAkjBGAgfvsgc=
    =Cq6L

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05