• Re: ifupdown/dhcp

From Daniel =?utf-8?Q?Gr=C3=B6ber?=@21:1/5 to Michael Stone on Sun May 8 19:00:01 2022
    Hi Michael,

On Sun, May 08, 2022 at 11:24:12AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
    So what's the path forward, maintaining compatibility and not breaking systems upgrading from current stable? Do we come up with a dhcpcd5 variant that *only* touches interfaces it is directed to touch via /etc/network/interfaces? Do we add udhcpcd to the "dhcp-client" virtual package and/or make it the default for ifupdown? Do we fork isc's dhcp suite and just continue to use dhclient? Revive pump? Something else?

I use some very customized dhclient hook scripts that I don't want to give
    up so I've been concerned about this situation ever since the EOM
    announcment myself. Certainly I don't want it (or at least dhclient) to be removed from Debian.

The problem is all of the other dhcp clients that have scripting support
    also have problematic maintainance situations. For example dhcpcd's
    maintainer has serious health problems and is looking for someone to take
    over (no one has AFAICT), dribbler (used to be in Debian IIRC) is
    "concluded" and that's pretty much it for non v6-only dhcp clients you can script. On the v6 end wide-dhcpv6 doesn't look to fresh either though.

I've tried reaching out to ISC a while ago to see what our options are in
    terms of perhaps keeping the code upstream but disabling it there so we can keep maintaining it in Debian. Unfortunately they are not interested in
    doing that.

However they would be open to pointing people to a project to keep dhclient/relay alive in their release notes. So I've been thinking about setting up at least a mailing-list to gather people interested in seeing
    this happen since I don't think I'll be able to have time to do it all by myself.

--Daniel

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jeremy Stanley@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 8 21:40:02 2022
    On 2022-05-08 21:15:07 +0200 (+0200), Santiago Ruano Rincón wrote:
    OpenBSD maintains its own fork of dhclient, just to list another
    alternative.
    [...]

Though OpenBSD added dhcpleased[*] last year, so I expect dhclient's
    days there are numbered too.

[*] http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article;sid=20210722072359
    --
    Jeremy Stanley

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQKTBAABCgB9FiEEl65Jb8At7J/DU7LnSPmWEUNJWCkFAmJ4GohfFIAAAAAALgAo aXNzdWVyLWZwckBub3RhdGlvbnMub3BlbnBncC5maWZ0aGhvcnNlbWFuLm5ldDk3 QUU0OTZGQzAyREVDOUZDMzUzQjJFNzQ4Rjk5NjExNDM0OTU4MjkACgkQSPmWEUNJ WCm2BhAAmvhRi//QMuqUjxu8AYk1AOZA53L++VcMXZWr6Sx9czp7/os0Yqgy+bOu 9tFxumDI7vFvhKt/J5eX4RTCj3tEBo5xvqtuege9LUqDli2GMw9zR/4MM+IVnDwA gfHowj8IbidT2SUdX4JR/w8MIkBkWQQjoot1IZG+igZQQDb8VaAx0XOeqJrfiLWI zbBGiQN9062mY5Q4yZiUef59dQPwdChCCRmPkUTyDoZJwGZ8J5ESSFVA+zmmLAKf elOgq7wczmh7lYfP9EUTk9ofHkc2FgY/Cgv1DNIFYnLtJvE9SucbeBbWGutERoPt 6AF1B23asU18/YgkveQAU4AcHT5ZDlW/Ol8LhL1aNJgt0b85MbuYGahKI3lTa7zv H/L6TF9+X3opVUbXakozYyMxM/Zk0A1IZfz1goqgUD0sTnXrSFLgiwYcalPVxyft 6//PdU9r6bcNHBSGfRZClcqkzIl2V/FFXj2qniar8NaTiO1OAQCU+eANf+VqxY+7 TRxdWpeXpvrFhfHMZVpWILhLx/FXqN2jDPKzae5TPwrvdeeT/jcXRp1t1DWByMoD yAhHea13EOjL/hnXdeianjVOFkaXYoLsIROrEcnys6RCkjBobqB7UaYKq4M1SkB6 U8ZTIZTQFud7IBKELpz038/WPxBPxX4jFM6SSqYS7tDgIUBrq3k=
    =X3k2
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32
  • From Michael Hudson-Doyle@21:1/5 to Steve Langasek on Sun May 8 23:50:01 2022
    On Mon, 9 May 2022 at 08:07, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

On Sun, May 08, 2022 at 11:24:12AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
    [apologies to package aliases getting this twice due to autocomplete
    fail]

I've been trying to make sense of the NEWS item in isc-dhcp-client (that alternatives are needed) in combination with the functionality of
    ifupdown
    and what the implications are for debian upgrades generally.

isc-dhcp-client as of the last upgrade is telling users to stop using it (the default dhcp client for debian).

ifupdown (the traditional tool for managing networking on debian systems) has a Recommends on "isc-dhcp-client | dhcp-client". "dhcp-client" is a virtual package provided by "dhcpcanon" (version 0.8.5, which hasn't been touched in 4 years), "isc-dhcp-client", and "dhcpcd5" (which will trash a working configuration managed by ifupdown if installed, as it will try to take over interfaces currently set, e.g., to manual). This seems
    suboptimal
    at best.

I believe that ifupdown will attempt to use udhcpd if installed, which should be a mostly-transparent change (except for the potential loss of lease information and any customization of dhclient scripts) but it isn't even on the ifupdown recommends list.

ifupdown also (used to?) use pump, but that package went away a long time ago.

So what's the path forward, maintaining compatibility and not breaking systems upgrading from current stable? Do we come up with a dhcpcd5
    variant
    that *only* touches interfaces it is directed to touch via /etc/network/interfaces? Do we add udhcpcd to the "dhcp-client" virtual package and/or make it the default for ifupdown? Do we fork isc's dhcp
    suite
    and just continue to use dhclient? Revive pump? Something else?

Not an answer to your question, but a related issue I'll mention here.

Ubuntu no longer uses isc-dhcp by default, because it no longer uses ifupdown; NetworkManager and networkd both have their own implementations
    of
    dhcp clients which are used by preference. *However*, isc-dhcp is still installed as part of all Ubuntu systems, because it is the only client implementation that integrates with initramfs-tools (/usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/zz-dhclient) so if you are using nfsroot
    or any other network-based rootfs, it appears to still be the only game in town. It would be a good idea to make sure as part of the deprecation of isc-dhcp-client that we get initramfs integration of whatever is the preferred replacement.

Well busybox's udhcpc would seem a likely candidate here -- but its IPv6 support (iirc the reason we switch to dhclient from klibc's ipconfig in Ubuntu's initramfs, at least) is described as incomplete.

Cheers,
    mwh

<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><br></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Mon, 9 May 2022 at 08:07, Steve Langasek &lt;<a href="mailto:vorlon@debian.org">vorlon@debian.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_
    quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On Sun, May 08, 2022 at 11:24:12AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:<br>
    &gt; [apologies to package aliases getting this twice due to autocomplete fail]<br>

&gt; I&#39;ve been trying to make sense of the NEWS item in isc-dhcp-client (that<br>
    &gt; alternatives are needed) in combination with the functionality of ifupdown<br>
    &gt; and what the implications are for debian upgrades generally.<br>

&gt; isc-dhcp-client as of the last upgrade is telling users to stop using it<br>
    &gt; (the default dhcp client for debian).<br>

&gt; ifupdown (the traditional tool for managing networking on debian systems)<br>
    &gt; has a Recommends on &quot;isc-dhcp-client | dhcp-client&quot;. &quot;dhcp-client&quot; is a<br>
    &gt; virtual package provided by &quot;dhcpcanon&quot; (version 0.8.5, which hasn&#39;t been<br>
    &gt; touched in 4 years), &quot;isc-dhcp-client&quot;, and &quot;dhcpcd5&quot; (which will trash a<br>
    &gt; working configuration managed by ifupdown if installed, as it will try to<br>
    &gt; take over interfaces currently set, e.g., to manual). This seems suboptimal<br>
    &gt; at best.<br>

&gt; I believe that ifupdown will attempt to use udhcpd if installed, which<br> &gt; should be a mostly-transparent change (except for the potential loss of<br>
    &gt; lease information and any customization of dhclient scripts) but it isn&#39;t<br>
    &gt; even on the ifupdown recommends list.<br>

&gt; ifupdown also (used to?) use pump, but that package went away a long time<br>
    &gt; ago.<br>

&gt; So what&#39;s the path forward, maintaining compatibility and not breaking<br>
    &gt; systems upgrading from current stable? Do we come up with a dhcpcd5 variant<br>
    &gt; that *only* touches interfaces it is directed to touch via<br>
    &gt; /etc/network/interfaces? Do we add udhcpcd to the &quot;dhcp-client&quot; virtual<br>
    &gt; package and/or make it the default for ifupdown? Do we fork isc&#39;s dhcp suite<br>
    &gt; and just continue to use dhclient? Revive pump? Something else?<br>

Not an answer to your question, but a related issue I&#39;ll mention here.<br>

Ubuntu no longer uses isc-dhcp by default, because it no longer uses<br> ifupdown; NetworkManager and networkd both have their own implementations of<br>
    dhcp clients which are used by preference.  *However*, isc-dhcp is still<br> installed as part of all Ubuntu systems, because it is the only client<br> implementation that integrates with initramfs-tools<br> (/usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/zz-dhclient) so if you are using nfsroot<br> or any other network-based rootfs, it appears to still be the only game in<br> town.  It would be a good idea to make sure as part of the deprecation of<br> isc-dhcp-client that we get initramfs integration of whatever is the<br> preferred replacement.<br></blockquote><div><br></div><div>Well busybox&#39;s udhcpc would seem a likely candidate here -- but its IPv6 support (iirc the reason we switch to dhclient from klibc&#39;s ipconfig in Ubuntu&#39;s initramfs, at least) is
    described as incomplete.</div><div><br></div><div>Cheers,</div><div>mwh</div></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Diederik de Haas@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 9 00:00:45 2022
    To: mjt@tls.msk.ru (Michael Tokarev)

On Sunday, 8 May 2022 21:34:39 CEST Michael Tokarev wrote:
    What's up with ISC dhclient?

"ISC DHCP Client and Relay End of Maintenance" @ https://www.isc.org/blogs/dhcp-client-relay-eom/

Couple of quotes:
    "ISC plans to end maintenance of the ISC DHCP client and relay by the end of Q1, 2022."

Why: "ISC has no support customers for the ISC DHCP client or relay, and we haven’t for at least a decade, so there is no funding stream to support continuing effort on them."

What about users: "ISC DHCP has been, and remains, open source. Anyone can fork it and develop or maintain it. Users still have all the open source freedoms with ISC DHCP that they have always had. We are just announcing that ISC will no longer maintain this code."

HTH,
    Diederik

iHUEABYIAB0WIQT1sUPBYsyGmi4usy/XblvOeH7bbgUCYng9jQAKCRDXblvOeH7b bmUyAP4/YFMiqm5SlwgFcW6KDMOghQUmG800+OtlpriJTa2g4gD/T4T9a/UFKNNo 47lV4dZihw1yn5GQPiiUtJoj1hFrtQ4=
    =bnom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ben Hutchings@21:1/5 to Steve Langasek on Mon May 16 20:50:01 2022
    On Sun, 2022-05-08 at 22:07 +0200, Steve Langasek wrote:
    [...]
    Ubuntu no longer uses isc-dhcp by default, because it no longer uses ifupdown; NetworkManager and networkd both have their own implementations of dhcp clients which are used by preference. *However*, isc-dhcp is still installed as part of all Ubuntu systems, because it is the only client implementation that integrates with initramfs-tools (/usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/zz-dhclient)

Upstream initramfs-tools uses klibc ipconfig for DHCP, but that is
    limited to IPv4. Is that why Ubuntu is not using it, or was there
    another problem?

Ben.

so if you are using nfsroot
    or any other network-based rootfs, it appears to still be the only game in town. It would be a good idea to make sure as part of the deprecation of isc-dhcp-client that we get initramfs integration of whatever is the preferred replacement.

--
    Ben Hutchings
    Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain.
    - Lily Tomlin

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEErCspvTSmr92z9o8157/I7JWGEQkFAmKCm+wACgkQ57/I7JWG EQl/Dw//V/72TL1F6OBWLNv16NQRu1GURKGmk/cPLZIXjC9J0P2uxwMqxaRIrvGu 3O11Za71eu4z/wF36FT9lLXx+zBMnn6zGmaesn+tj8afnhR2kH4m09RkMsSSjr7V n1hxN+/8yLSPSaRKkfnF6BYhPwu6zC4IRumxj8fTEND3He4aWSAeecCAjIOCHn4G hPgkUqpXIQGRC8ZyXBIpsGeCJtq1nCOI8VamIP2ASFXKUCtFEChOcOkTJPXJeU8D sEQtM6tOX9FOjUePrfwCT3izaERDKvNZTX4QQabmSuAmqkfpN1MnJ0LeQuEImf1z J8gDnNeA9qk/eEabm2YyKkwa8JT5Pugh8PndmLKx/VH8bIHY/UwkxSvdtjjXo+vN fevLRFjMIzAmR/L99xOZGRDtin77FvbvwUUme1WjlF+/DAVnf+byZFsirRy7aBa1 3TqbNtbKIVJi6SoSks+QMN/vR7esXZTRBViroAwecGcFbSTA91m8IXdD8RqDQJ3o 5/bpkMJpis5kXEZlZkHbUH0Zd0TpYSt3U1ywRQghfpp8wn9v9OIU89KVQgRn2oDu WsZBtQCyvcOqHZs2CTNqXXb6HcnnbVmXib46AG083e3b8JmtuwPuQ8lwT0JLyfeo We2GLZ/NVupQGTZD9i6SRBrf7KP/7x0sTlI7F0dPHeAZYPPwL00=
    =4HXh

--- SoupGate-Win3
  • From Steve Langasek@21:1/5 to Ben Hutchings on Mon May 16 21:10:01 2022
    On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 08:46:04PM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
    On Sun, 2022-05-08 at 22:07 +0200, Steve Langasek wrote:
    [...]
    Ubuntu no longer uses isc-dhcp by default, because it no longer uses ifupdown; NetworkManager and networkd both have their own implementations of
    dhcp clients which are used by preference. *However*, isc-dhcp is still installed as part of all Ubuntu systems, because it is the only client implementation that integrates with initramfs-tools (/usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/zz-dhclient)

Upstream initramfs-tools uses klibc ipconfig for DHCP, but that is
    limited to IPv4. Is that why Ubuntu is not using it, or was there
    another problem?

IPv6 support was the main driver. We use it for both DHCP4 and DHCP6
    though, for consistency.

--
    Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world. Ubuntu Developer https://www.debian.org/ slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEErEg/aN5yj0PyIC/KVo0w8yGyEz0FAmKCn8MACgkQVo0w8yGy Ez092w/9HbEhJRDKa5JQ/8OZyPQW61aKNzgOLDgyaNybRK665hMXcYWNXnV1YLoq ziM5fJxpD4e0Sg6ezxLV5LfaJhHu+toRNMi3AfXZA2K/+HNuru6jYIDkSFdSMsR9 shikYV7dAfPuZJUJYWV2iVpu2U68VnrQQ3QDRgaL8wceP/BuvQWbKNI0pR+A7mfn oy9/GU6XiPK0zP0i7gQiS9meuMYDnzCHxSj1VERQ3JkNSXf8DFAoeZKnshEn1Nfu hP+uQ1+MDXXhwIhh07oODGGGxfn7N9dldEAWl03oucpR3/PKvZkenxFe2JTigDck mX1/qpVBih/oS07rFzxvH5GXMogAC/MhpXeKObGj5z1TtQQuogBC01xbLSZKG7A6 z0YAKrj1c/1rVY/BijLCCtNO47HiMLUBiVvD5P/xBhv+yvlwQVxSXaXg58WtG0Kb YT7SOCqstSlNFrlYF2Xn6iX9IVBnLBGuQkSXNGEJkSYgNfVyTJ5NdT1k+9pykKW/ UKBDApsweyEQ7Y5PjSKly9WcNGUkwMMM+F9zHeBKM5ifDF8HSnkDZOa1izgd96R6 Sy1Ntdk2ZGDxCQ8Tmf2W