• Is there room for improvement in our collaboration model?

From M. Zhou@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 15 06:20:01 2022
    Hi,

I just noted this problem recently. Our model for team collaboration (specifically for
    package maintenance) is somewhat primitive.

We are volunteers. Nobody can continuously maintain a package for decades like a machine.
    Currently our practice for accepting other people's help involves:
    (1) low-threshold NMU. This is not quite easy to lookup (only shows on tracker.d.o, etc)
    (2) VAC note in debian-private channel. Who remembers you said the others can help you
    upload a package? And when does that temporary permission expire? What tracks that?
    (3) salsa permission. Yes, after joining the salsa team, others can commit code as they like.
    However, when it needs to be uploaded, the others still have to write mail to the maintainer
    for an ack. Whether multiple peoples should commit at the same time is coordinated through
    emails in order to avoid duplicated work.
    (4) last-minute NMU/delayed. When the others cannot bear an RC bug anymore, they may
    want to nmu upload to the delayed queue.
    (5) intend to salvage. When the others cannot hear from me for very long time, this
    is the only formal way to take over maintanence (afaik).

The problems are:
    (1) whether multiple people should work on the same package at the same time is based on human communication. Namely, acquiring lock and releasing lock on a package
    is done through human communication. This is clearly something could be improved.
    It should be some program to acquire and release the lock.
    (2) different packages are clearly regarded differently by people.
    I'm actually very open to the other people hijacking some of my selected packages
    and fix these packages as they like. Namely, I think there should be a system where
    we can optionally tag our packages as:

A. The other DDs can do whatever they like to this package and upload directly
    without asking me in a hijacking way.
    B. May git commit but should ask before upload.
    C. Must ask before any action.
    D. ...

You know that in parallel programming, optimizing IPC (in this context it would be
    inter-DD communication) and optimizing the locking mechanism could help.

My motivation for pointing these stems from some uncomfortable feelings when it's hard to get response from busy maintainers. If I understand correctly, technically DDs have enough permission to hijack any package and do the upload. People are polite and conservative to not abuse that power. But ... in order to improve contributor experience in terms of collaboration ... maybe we can
    use that tagging mechanism to formally allow a little bit of upload permission abuse.

I think this will also improve newcomer's contributing experience.
    This proposal is also filed at https://salsa.debian.org/debian/grow-your-ideas/-/issues/34

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Lorenzo@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 15 13:50:01 2022
    Hi,

D. ...

D Upload NMU with DELAYED/15 or/7 is welcome even without fixing a RC
    bug but must commit to a specific nmu branch. Never commit to the
    master branch, the maintainer will do that.

The master branch is protected and force push there is problematic

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Santiago R.R.@21:1/5 to Luca Boccassi on Fri Apr 15 15:10:01 2022
    On April 15, 2022 2:24:33 PM GMT+02:00, Luca Boccassi <bluca@debian.org> wrote: >On Fri, 2022-04-15 at 00:17 -0400, M. Zhou wrote:
    Hi,

I just noted this problem recently. Our model for team collaboration (specifically for

We are volunteers. Nobody can continuously maintain a package for decades like a machine.
    (1) low-threshold NMU. This is not quite easy to lookup (only shows on tracker.d.o, etc)
    (2) VAC note in debian-private channel. Who remembers you said the others can help you
    upload a package? And when does that temporary permission expire? What tracks that?
    (3) salsa permission. Yes, after joining the salsa team, others can commit code as they like.
    However, when it needs to be uploaded, the others still have to write mail to the maintainer
    for an ack. Whether multiple peoples should commit at the same time is coordinated through
    (4) last-minute NMU/delayed. When the others cannot bear an RC bug anymore, they may
    (5) intend to salvage. When the others cannot hear from me for very long time, this

The problems are:
    (1) whether multiple people should work on the same package at the same time is
    based on human communication. Namely, acquiring lock and releasing lock on a package
    is done through human communication. This is clearly something could be improved.
    I'm actually very open to the other people hijacking some of my selected packages
    and fix these packages as they like. Namely, I think there should be a system where

D. ...

You know that in parallel programming, optimizing IPC (in this context it would be

My motivation for pointing these stems from some uncomfortable feelings when >> it's hard to get response from busy maintainers. If I understand correctly, >> technically DDs have enough permission to hijack any package and do the upload.
    People are polite and conservative to not abuse that power. But ... in order to
    improve contributor experience in terms of collaboration ... maybe we can
    use that tagging mechanism to formally allow a little bit of upload permission abuse.

This proposal is also filed at
    https://salsa.debian.org/debian/grow-your-ideas/-/issues/34

What about doing something even simpler - rather than having additional >generic/core tags/teams/groups, for packages where one wants to say
    "please help yourself/ourselves", simply set the Maintainer field to >debian-devel@lists.debian.org, have the Salsa repository in the debian/ >namespace, and that's it? From thereon, anyone can do team-uploads by
    pushing to salsa and uploading directly, no need for >acks/delays/permissions/requests.

This is something I have been thinking about for a while, but didn't took the time to propose. But rather using a specific mailing list (e.g. debian-cooperative@somewhere).

I'd be happy to put grep and bzip2 under such Maintainer:, if other co maintainers do not object.

--
    Enviado desde mi dispositivo Android con K-9 Mail. Por favor, disculpa mi brevedad.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Luca Boccassi@21:1/5 to M. Zhou on Fri Apr 15 14:30:01 2022
    On Fri, 2022-04-15 at 00:17 -0400, M. Zhou wrote:
    Hi,

The problems are:
    (1) whether multiple people should work on the same package at the same time is
    based on human communication. Namely, acquiring lock and releasing lock on a package

D. ...

My motivation for pointing these stems from some uncomfortable feelings when it's hard to get response from busy maintainers. If I understand correctly, technically DDs have enough permission to hijack any package and do the upload.
    People are polite and conservative to not abuse that power. But ... in order to
    improve contributor experience in terms of collaboration ... maybe we can

This proposal is also filed at https://salsa.debian.org/debian/grow-your-ideas/-/issues/34

What about doing something even simpler - rather than having additional generic/core tags/teams/groups, for packages where one wants to say
    "please help yourself/ourselves", simply set the Maintainer field to debian-devel@lists.debian.org, have the Salsa repository in the debian/ namespace, and that's it? From thereon, anyone can do team-uploads by
    pushing to salsa and uploading directly, no need for acks/delays/permissions/requests.

--
    Kind regards,
    Luca Boccassi

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEzBAABCgAdFiEE6g0RLAGYhL9yp9G8SylmgFB4UWIFAmJZZAEACgkQSylmgFB4 UWLddQf/aw8FVlSWu8FEpDrNvdsVqRu/fy+zTFkNTbv8Qb4+K/gMJLdElURHqSkJ KofnKStmdZ3kilkup7XKkafVqlmwniIx1ypIrNGgho+WHKHXyWgzbsKRaD4kv9TD TE8Ct0bGpl+HufXXjnNbxt22K3R/sgdzPqTcZwNsISoFNIdtEt/Lpe1hRhvDZGZk ekmk9BKzKXGR5Zb/U1o1EQkCRKPyMcCcYT8i/0WgD5uvtJ9nUPxSLWlVss/10ZOb FLYb8F8tqcOogHPaxDH0vOXoJR0oWOgEykeCQEAx1U9B/6VSWjx0hySAoSo7LTQm HALTcp75jQahitjBpD2IgbDsH0p6MA==
    =5ORi
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From M. Zhou@21:1/5 to Luca Boccassi on Fri Apr 15 16:00:01 2022
    On Fri, 2022-04-15 at 14:24 +0200, Luca Boccassi wrote:

What about doing something even simpler - rather than having additional generic/core tags/teams/groups, for packages where one wants to say
    "please help yourself/ourselves", simply set the Maintainer field to debian-devel@lists.debian.org, have the Salsa repository in the debian/ namespace, and that's it? From thereon, anyone can do team-uploads by
    pushing to salsa and uploading directly, no need for acks/delays/permissions/requests.

A simpler solution sounds good to me, except that change would be
    somewhat "permanent" in stating the original maintainer's preference.
    I forgot to mention in my original post that the tags can optionally
    expire.

So, things like, `tag all my packages as "feel free to nmu" within
    the next two weeks` would be trackable.

BTW, setting debian-devel@ as maintainer will result in mail flood.
    An alternative should be considered.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Steffen_M=c3=b6ller?=@21:1/5 to M. Zhou on Sat Apr 16 14:40:01 2022
    On 15.04.22 15:53, M. Zhou wrote:
    On Fri, 2022-04-15 at 14:24 +0200, Luca Boccassi wrote:
    This proposal is also filed at
    https://salsa.debian.org/debian/grow-your-ideas/-/issues/34
    What about doing something even simpler - rather than having additional
    generic/core tags/teams/groups, for packages where one wants to say
    "please help yourself/ourselves", simply set the Maintainer field to
    debian-devel@lists.debian.org, have the Salsa repository in the debian/
    namespace, and that's it? From thereon, anyone can do team-uploads by
    pushing to salsa and uploading directly, no need for
    acks/delays/permissions/requests.

A simpler solution sounds good to me, except that change would be
    somewhat "permanent" in stating the original maintainer's preference.
    I forgot to mention in my original post that the tags can optionally
    expire.

So, things like, `tag all my packages as "feel free to nmu" within
    the next two weeks` would be trackable.
    The only extra request from my side would be for salsa-maintained
    packages to havet the NMU not bypassing the version management.

Steffen

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeremy Bicha@21:1/5 to steffen_moeller@gmx.de on Sat Apr 16 22:00:01 2022
    On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 8:32 AM Steffen Möller <steffen_moeller@gmx.de> wrote:
    The only extra request from my side would be for salsa-maintained
    packages to havet the NMU not bypassing the version management.

I agree with the idea, except that it's common to want to NMU
    something that you don't have Salsa commit privileges for.

Thanks,
    Jeremy Bicha

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05