• Helping Ukraine with Debian

From Matt Grant@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 7 08:50:01 2022
    Hi!

Has anyone thought about how to help out Ukraine by using Debian?
    Thinking about humanitarian relief and and other possibilities for communications. Is there any way I may be able to help out by remoting
    in? Any one got any verifiable contacts please?

Thank you so much,

Matt Grant

<div dir="ltr">Hi!<div><br></div><div>Has anyone thought  about how to help out Ukraine by using Debian?  Thinking about humanitarian relief and and other possibilities for communications.  Is there any way I may be able to help out by remoting in? 
    Any one got any verifiable contacts please?</div><div><br></div><div>Thank you so much,</div><div><br></div><div>Matt Grant </div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andrew M.A. Cater@21:1/5 to Matt Grant on Thu Apr 7 11:00:01 2022
    On Thu, Apr 07, 2022 at 06:41:58PM +1200, Matt Grant wrote:
    Hi!

Thinking about humanitarian relief and and other possibilities for communications. Is there any way I may be able to help out by remoting

Thank you so much,

Matt Grant

Hi Matt,

I think there's a couple of things here. Although the Debian installer and
    some other parts of Debian have been localised into Ukrainian, anyone
    who speaks and writes Ukrainian would be very welcome to help Debian in
    general make Debian a better environment in Ukrainian - we're short handed
    for this.

Distributing laptops with Debian on, for example, or Freedombox or whatever
    may be counterproductive at this time: probably the best help that anybody could do is to give money to the International Red Cross or one of the large aid agencies on the ground - and keep giving. If Debian is worth 10 currency units a month to you - give that much to one of the large aid agencies as
    if you were giving it to Debian.

Offering to help administer somebody's machine remotely in the climate of
    cyber attacks, allegations and misleading information might not be welcomed :(

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Thomas Koch@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 11 19:20:01 2022
    Long Term: Wars in modern times can only happen, if Propaganda ensures their support by the population. Anything that helps against propaganda helps against wars.

Think what technology would make it easier for people to discover the truth and share it with others (avoiding censorship).

I'm currently interested in decentralized search engines, e.g. YaCy.net. Other topics might be free, decentralized and censorship-resistant communication (Email, XMPP, ...)?

Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> hat am 07.04.2022 11:57 geschrieben:

On Thu, Apr 07, 2022 at 06:41:58PM +1200, Matt Grant wrote:
    Hi!

Thank you so much,

Matt Grant

Hi Matt,

I think there's a couple of things here. Although the Debian installer and some other parts of Debian have been localised into Ukrainian, anyone
    who speaks and writes Ukrainian would be very welcome to help Debian in general make Debian a better environment in Ukrainian - we're short handed for this.

Distributing laptops with Debian on, for example, or Freedombox or whatever may be counterproductive at this time: probably the best help that anybody could do is to give money to the International Red Cross or one of the large aid agencies on the ground - and keep giving. If Debian is worth 10 currency units a month to you - give that much to one of the large aid agencies as
    if you were giving it to Debian.

Offering to help administer somebody's machine remotely in the climate of cyber attacks, allegations and misleading information might not be welcomed :(

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leandro Cunha@21:1/5 to matt@mattgrant.net.nz on Mon Apr 11 21:30:03 2022
    Hi,

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 3:41 AM Matt Grant <matt@mattgrant.net.nz> wrote:

Hi!

Has anyone thought about how to help out Ukraine by using Debian? Thinking about humanitarian relief and and other possibilities for communications. Is there any way I may be able to help out by remoting in? Any one got any verifiable contacts
    please?

Thank you so much,

Matt Grant

They have a Ukrainian language forum and mailing list. As I don't
    understand this
    language, I can't say that it was portrayed in one of these links and I see it as the most viable way to have contact with Ukrainians or get
    information to contribute.

Links taken from the page [3].

[1] https://linux.org.ua
    [2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user-ukrainian
    [3] https://www.debian.org/international/Ukrainian

--
    Cheers,
    Leandro Cunha
    Software Engineer and Debian Contributor

LS0tLS1CRUdJTiBQR1AgUFVCTElDIEtFWSBCTE9DSy0tLS0tCgptUUlOQkYvZ1E4Z0JFQURIVktn b1dzVVdOR1Z2UjZzTWhCUFVkQlVFSCtRQUxwcjFRWVhoZXRCZlJ3YVkwSFdOCnBLZ2VqSGR4S084 SCtrSWhSTW9oODlDQ0tnM2hBSjlMbU9PVFhrWDdVNS9DeWEvelJNS2s1ekJEM3JLSWF1Z2gKMFhZ VDE1TnoxandMN1RJREcyNXlQU2xvRHRWZ1ZYVGVwMFp6S3NOWUpqYjRPQXFhODhjdlVFSkVoaHFy bGRsUgpncE5ia2l4RWg1aXR1TzhwTVNoRUJXcUxzM3l0NEhyMVZGV25USW00ZGwvSkxCSHBleHp1 YkRPdy9tS0NUcE5kCkExSkdIVHZjZTF3dEoyZk16Q1Z6aEVqZDVweWpMWlYvbzhoVncyL09OL3lY dnBKdXowbFYvaGlXME0rY0RjYXMKc0tmdEVydHNacFJ5M3d3WGRrQmNKdDZzb1l1cWZDSHdnTWZM MmlDNm1QdmlFOHhXQUhNT21oZEMzd0Rza1pwYgpSY0xmSDVJTVlhakpBR1JPL0dDTWNLS2JxN1dr RU9lbG9pdnRnNjR4QmxZdUpmOWFPY0hLUC84UjNFT2JpTnA3CnViUUFKdFYzcEVHRDRteDFtaHV0 RnhESEIrQ2ZueEUzZFd2eFpTVjl5MW40VU96a0RKM2tEeDVFZTBNYlJ2SkQKdzZhWEtjNmRoWVJF Z2g3aExEY01GeiszTGNCaVpETHhJM2crU0hlM0JsNjF2ZHNuUG5vKzBIaEN6dkIrZkw0Uwplb3k3 TXlmaXVuejlCckIySFBOK3dOQ1QwWWdWK0t2OFFvREd6QndvczVIMXZVSlNZNHQ1OXc2eG9YQVlV c0FtCmhqQU04cyt