Package: openstreetmap-carto
    Version: 5.7.0-1
    Followup-For: Bug #1053458
    X-Debbugs-Cc: mxdog@hotmail.com

Dear Maintainer,

-- System Information:
    Debian Release: 12.5
    APT prefers stable-updates
    APT policy: (500, 'stable-updates'), (500, 'stable-security'), (500, 'stable')
    Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
    Foreign Architectures: i386

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-18-amd64 (SMP w/24 CPU threads; PREEMPT)
    Kernel taint flags: TAINT_PROPRIETARY_MODULE, TAINT_OOT_MODULE, TAINT_UNSIGNED_MODULE
    Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE not set
    Shell: /bin/sh linked to /usr/bin/dash
    Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)
    LSM: AppArmor: enabled

Versions of packages openstreetmap-carto depends on:
    ii debconf [debconf-2.0] 1.5.82
    ii dpkg 1.21.22
    ih openstreetmap-carto-common 5.7.0-1

openstreetmap-carto recommends no packages.

openstreetmap-carto suggests no packages.

-- debconf information:
    * openstreetmap-carto/database-name: gis

on the very first try to install this package i got a pop-up screen asking if i wanted to download the world data and plug
    it into postgres I mistakenly hit yes then aborted with ctrl-c (i already have the data from openstreetmap and did not want
    to wait
    days to redo it )

upon trying to dpkg-reconfigure openstreetmap-carto i get the error.... psycopg2.OperationalError: connection to server on
    socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: FATAL: role "root" does not exist

which is understandable and proper .. i.e. i am not postgres the trouble is *** there is no going back to that initial
    screen "asking if i wanted to download the world map into postgres " ***

to make a short story long .. even after deleting/purging wiping out everything in /var/lib/dpkg/info/openstreetmap*
    and trying to install again i never get that initial screen to bypass the download process ( which i think is the only real
    bug ) so a couple of thoughts

1- the package needs to start from the very beginning on a reconfigure i.e the user needs to be able choose to by-pass the
    download and database import (which SHOULD get rid of the role error which i assume you sudo into user postgres to
    accomplish or somesuch)

2- the package needs to clean up whatever flag/files is uses to show that initial screen in apt/dpkg because once you use
    it, it never comes back even after a (near apparently) total wipe of the package apt-get remove apt-get purge, etc.. do not
    get it back ...

any help on actually getting back to the initial screen would be appreciated i have no clue why apt is by-passing that very
    first step shown to the user but at this point i have a broken package. Going to try find some stuff in ~ see if i can get
    back to the basics ...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)