• Bug#1013361: ITP: ruptime -- poor man's ruptime

From Petter Reinholdtsen@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 9 06:10:01 2024
    [Gürkan Myczko 2022-10-26]
    ruptime/ruptimed has ben released long ago under the AGPL-3.0

there's no reason for it to go into non-free, it's software for main

What is the background for the licensing confusion?

The original ruptime had serious security problems. It is unclear from
    the upstream README how this is solved in this new version. Can you
    explain how this new system is kept secure and avoid privacy problems?

I notice the package has been in NEW for 10 months already. Is there a
    git repo with the draft packaging for this package?

--
    Happy hacking
    Petter Reinholdtsen

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?G=C3=BCrkan?= Myczko@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 9 06:40:01 2024
    --Apple-Mail-900DF16E-A37E-43D2-9438-564D2E15598F
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Mar 9, 2024, at 06:09, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

[Gürkan Myczko 2022-10-26]
    ruptime/ruptimed has ben released long ago under the AGPL-3.0

there's no reason for it to go into non-free, it's software for main

What is the background for the licensing confusion?

I was not sure what license to take, but that has been settled client and server are free software to be selfhosted.

The original ruptime had serious security problems.

The original not from me? It had no security problems it was just transferring data clear text, but was also only limited to local network. Usually your network is trusted. Well.. YMMV

It is unclear from
    the upstream README how this is solved in this new version. Can you
    explain how this new system is kept secure and avoid privacy problems?

My versions always have been secure. All Debian packages uploaded to ftp-master did NOT suffer privacy problems as they patched upstream tarball setting SERVER=localhost

This software is meant to be selfhosted.

You can find the latest version on salsa.debian.org by searching ruptime.

I notice the package has been in NEW for 10 months already. Is there a
    git repo with the draft packaging for this package?

Yes, and packages are available at github downloads (debian amd64 and arm64)

You can also find it installed on http://bananas.debian.net (contact me for account)
    and its upcoming web interface http://bananas.debian.net/ruptime

Best,
    Alex

--
    Happy hacking
    Petter Reinholdtsen

--Apple-Mail-900DF16E-A37E-43D2-9438-564D2E15598F
    Content-Type: text/html;
    charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto"><div dir="ltr"><br></div><div dir="ltr"><blockquote type="cite">On Mar 9, 2024, at 06:09, Petter Reinholdtsen &lt;pere@hungry.com&gt; wrote:<br><br></
    blockquote></div><blockquote type="cite"><div dir="ltr"><span>[Gürkan Myczko 2022-10-26]</span><br><blockquote type="cite"><span>ruptime/ruptimed has ben released long ago under the AGPL-3.0</span><br></blockquote><blockquote type="cite"><span></span>
    <br></blockquote><blockquote type="cite"><span>there's no reason for it to go into non-free, it's software for main</span><br></blockquote><span></span><br><span>What is the background for the licensing confusion?</span><br></div></blockquote><div><br></
    <div>I was not sure what license to take, but that has been settled client and server are free software to be selfhosted.</div><br><blockquote type="cite"><div dir="ltr"><span></span><span>The original ruptime had serious security problems.</span></
    </blockquote><div><br></div>The original not from me? It had no security problems it was just transferring data clear text, but was also only limited to local network. Usually your network is trusted. Well.. YMMV<div><br><blockquote type="cite"><div
    dir="ltr"><span> &nbsp;It is unclear from</span><br><span>the upstream README how this is solved in this new version. &nbsp;Can you</span><br><span>explain how this new system is kept secure and avoid privacy problems?</span><br></div></blockquote><div><
    </div><div>My versions always have been secure. All Debian packages uploaded to ftp-master did NOT suffer privacy problems as they patched upstream tarball setting SERVER=localhost</div><div><br></div><div>This software is meant to be selfhosted.</div>
    <div><br></div><div>You can find the latest version on salsa.debian.org by searching ruptime.</div><br><blockquote type="cite"><div dir="ltr"><span></span><span>I notice the package has been in NEW for 10 months already. &nbsp;Is there a</span><br><span>
    git repo with the draft packaging for this package?</span><br></div></blockquote><div><br></div>Yes, and packages are available at github downloads (debian amd64 and arm64)</div><div><br></div><div>You can also find it installed on http://bananas.debian.
    net (contact me for account)</div><div>and its upcoming web interface&nbsp;<span style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">http://bananas.debian.net/ruptime</span></div><div><span style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><br><
    /span></div><div><font color="#000000"><span style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Best,</span></font></div><div><font color="#000000"><span style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Alex</span></font></div><div><blockquote type="cite"><div dir="ltr"><span></span><
    <span>-- </span><br><span>Happy hacking</span><br><span>Petter Reinholdtsen</span><br></div></blockquote></div></body></html>
    --Apple-Mail-900DF16E-A37E-43D2-9438-564D2E15598F--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)