• Bug#1062060: cinnamon-desktop: NMU diff for 64-bit time_t transition

From Steve Langasek@21:1/5 to Fabio Fantoni on Wed Jan 31 11:10:01 2024
    On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 10:20:08AM +0100, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
    If you have any concerns about this patch, please reach out ASAP. Although this package will be uploaded to experimental immediately, there will be a period of several days before we begin uploads to unstable; so if information
    becomes available that your package should not be included in the transition,
    there is time for us to amend the planned uploads.

Hi, this rename is really needed? Cinnamon upstream don't don't soname bump even when needed and we use strict depends and upload of multiple component together as a workaround every major version, I've almost finished the next one which I would have done within a few days.

I don't have much time but I was also trying to reduce the differences and conflicts with the upstream packaging which causes reports of hundreds of users trying to upgrade the cinnamon packages but the upgrade fails due to conflicts.

I see that there are versioned breaks from libcinnamon-desktop to older versions of a number of its reverse-dependencies. But not all of them! libmuffin0, gir1.2-cinnamondesktop-3.0, and cinnamon itself appear to have versioned depends on libcinnamon-desktop4 without being listed in the
    Breaks:. Furthermore, the change to the time_t ABI is not fixed to an
    upstream release cycle; so if you upload the next version to unstable before the dpkg change, you will have to upload again and then ABI skew is still possible? If it's only present in the archive in unstable for a short
    period of time then you can make the case that it doesn't need a rename and
    a transition. But for the moment it looks to me like a transition will be needed.

--
    Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world. Ubuntu Developer https://www.debian.org/ slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEErEg/aN5yj0PyIC/KVo0w8yGyEz0FAmW6G70ACgkQVo0w8yGy Ez2UQA/+NedG5TcqVWUIqb1iOLs7IQ5ddItMXtz0IRk1xZbYyeWFeA6HzPhdYC20 Zg77X7pm91xtd3mC/A9u/igfoFLNLoD1oz6VqlnyUjgv4gteF5S1VcuCIziHoLYJ cqXg0zdmm+OLrD+/32PczJsJE8+sh39HOKV/dXnZK0FLrRrtHiQbFhkGbAa6yuF7 xeimMjvfJROfXOuqyUDvolxgy+Rrg9gLkcpyT4Xb1+XJcbnrIF4YS0cRWlGT/Fx+ 9+NZfLrDDUJMY4HNahFtO4rVCv5vg5+gtspvYJuRyhxkXtwhcB/a45/PKbXgHoHV ua6lASQc4K9M8i9r6eGnT3QXcp8Ot1MWpGuWiWVMpVimIciwc2IIbkV7d5e1VHSt XAE15p+i9L42ozIf016Wz1XLz1U6iQnZumx6JUF7WoMA+Gcn/2VXPLVTftqnc4+c GubztYh/xjNQ7HRlInEHQBS18M2oQGUNAHifSauqDwTuQCVmJiwvLuRRnKJD2tc5 2GfiQgsoQSJTbEIWrQ7uYryTxtpzKt3MpFVrcZeM5vMqVHz+/Dr2w+jYo33md2qR Vk1fN1HMFm27EW38Kuyx