• grub2 user interface disappears after upgrade from stretch to testing

From Shane Dev@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 12 22:30:02 2018
    Hello, I downloaded firmware-9.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso and successfully
    installed a minimal debian stretch on my UEFI/GPT disk. After rebooting, I
    was presented with the grub2 text user interface and the possibility to
    boot Debian or my Windows boot manager - as expected.

Following https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting, I
    edited /etc/apt/sources.list and changed stretch to testing, apt update &&
    apt upgrade. Everything seemed ok but when I rebooted, the grub2 user
    interface was gone and I could not find a way to boot Debian. Any ideas?

Shane

<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr">Hello, I downloaded firmware-9.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso and successfully installed a minimal debian stretch on my UEFI/GPT disk. After rebooting, I was presented with the grub2 text
    user interface and the possibility to boot Debian or my Windows boot manager - as expected. <div><br></div><div>Following <a href="https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting">https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting</a>, I edited /etc/apt/sources.list and
    changed stretch to testing, apt update &amp;&amp; apt upgrade. Everything seemed ok but when I rebooted, the grub2 user interface was gone and I could not find a way to boot Debian. Any ideas?</div><div><br></div><div>Shane<br><div><br></div><div><br></
    </div></div></div></div></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Felix Miata@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 13 01:20:01 2018
    Shane Dev composed on 2018-11-12 22:25 (UTC+0100):

Hello, I downloaded firmware-9.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso and successfully installed a minimal debian stretch on my UEFI/GPT disk. After rebooting, I was presented with the grub2 text user interface and the possibility to
    boot Debian or my Windows boot manager - as expected.

Following https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting, I
    edited /etc/apt/sources.list and changed stretch to testing, apt update && apt upgrade. Everything seemed ok but when I rebooted, the grub2 user interface was gone and I could not find a way to boot Debian. Any ideas?

By "gone", do you mean an entirely black screen? Or, do you see a few lines
    of help text followed by a

grub> _

prompt? If the latter you can type in, along with tab completion, the commands to load "linux" and "initrd", just like a grub menu does for you, except you don't
    actually need everything the defaults usually provide, as any of it is necessary
    is included in the initrd. Those you need should be in your backup of grub.cfg.

If you're getting nothing, try using your BIOS boot selection menu, which may have been poorly changed by the upgrade process to in inappropriate choice. Without actually entering BIOS setup it could be F12, F8, F9 or a number of other keystrokes that are firmware dependent.

If you can't find your grub.cfg backup, use the following from one of mine as
    a template:

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep
    search --no-floppy --set=root --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt10 --label p10deb10
    linux /boot/vmlinuz root=LABEL=p10deb10 noresume
    initrd /boot/initrd
    --
    Evolution as taught in public schools is religion, not science.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Felix Miata@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 13 07:00:01 2018
    Shane Dev composed on 2018-11-13 06:12 (UTC+0100):

Thanks for your fast reply. From memory, I think the grub2 text menu installed by firmware-9.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso became a grub command line prompt after upgrading to testing.

1. For what possible reasons could have my grub menu disappeared?

You're using "testing". Bugs are to be expected at least on occasion. Sometimes BIOS quirks interfere with Grub setup commands. UEFI BIOS writers probably do not spend much time debugging their use with Linux and Grub. UEFI code still has more maturing to do before consistency among different machines' behavior can be expected.

2. You suggest I could boot Debian with "linux" and "initrd" commands. How could I determine which parameters to pass to these commands?

This is why I mentioned your backup grub.cfg file and provided a template from one of my own systems.

The initrd line needs only the fullpath of the initrd to be loaded. The linux line may work with no more than the same. Most cmdline options used in Grub linux lines are options, meaning not necessary to a successful boot. The stanza lines preceding the linux line may or may not be required. All you can do is try, preferably based upon your backup. If you can't locate a backup, retrieve the grub.cfg file via a rescue boot and work from it. Make use of tab completion
    to get the appropriate names of kernel and initrd.
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shane Dev@21:1/5 to Felix Miata on Wed Nov 14 08:00:02 2018
    Hello,

I reinstalled stretch (bare minimum packages), then I replaced all
    references to "stretch" with "testing" in /etc/apt/sources.list and
    executed sudo apt update; sudo apt install gnome-core firefox-esr.
    Everything works as expected but I have the following questions -

1. according to uname -r, I am running 4.9.0-7-amd64 which appears to be
    the stretch kernel. Is it safe to run the stretch kernel with programs /
    apps / utilities from testing?
    2. I noticed the intel-microcode package is not installed. If I install it, could this testing version conflict with the stretch kernel?
    3. Last time I tried apt upgrade, my grub menu was replaced with the grub command prompted. If there any way to avoid this happening again?

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 05:54, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:

Shane Dev composed on 2018-11-13 06:12 (UTC+0100):

Thanks for your fast reply. From memory, I think the grub2 text menu installed by firmware-9.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso became a grub command line prompt after upgrading to testing.

1. For what possible reasons could have my grub menu disappeared?

You're using "testing". Bugs are to be expected at least on occasion. Sometimes
    BIOS quirks interfere with Grub setup commands. UEFI BIOS writers probably
    do
    not spend much time debugging their use with Linux and Grub. UEFI code
    still
    has more maturing to do before consistency among different machines'
    behavior
    can be expected.

2. You suggest I could boot Debian with "linux" and "initrd" commands.
    How
    could I determine which parameters to pass to these commands?

This is why I mentioned your backup grub.cfg file and provided a template from
    one of my own systems.

The initrd line needs only the fullpath of the initrd to be loaded. The
    linux
    line may work with no more than the same. Most cmdline options used in Grub linux lines are options, meaning not necessary to a successful boot. The stanza
    lines preceding the linux line may or may not be required. All you can do
    is
    try, preferably based upon your backup. If you can't locate a backup, retrieve
    the grub.cfg file via a rescue boot and work from it. Make use of tab completion
    to get the appropriate names of kernel and initrd.
    --

<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div>Hello,</div><div><br></div><div>I reinstalled stretch (bare minimum packages), then I replaced all references to &quot;stretch&quot; with &quot;testing&quot; in /etc/apt/sources.list and executed sudo apt
    update; sudo apt install gnome-core firefox-esr. Everything works as expected but I have the following questions -</div><div><br></div><div>1. according to uname -r, I am running 4.9.0-7-amd64 which appears to be the stretch kernel. Is it safe to run the
    stretch kernel with programs / apps / utilities from testing?</div><div>2. I noticed the intel-microcode package is not installed. If I install it, could this testing version conflict with the stretch kernel?</div><div>3. Last time I tried apt upgrade,
    my grub menu was replaced with the grub command prompted. If there any way to avoid this happening again?<br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr">On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 05:54,
    Felix Miata &lt;<a href="mailto:mrmazda@earthlink.net">mrmazda@earthlink.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Shane Dev composed on 2018-11-13 06:12 (UTC+0100):<

&gt; Thanks for your fast reply. From memory, I think the grub2 text menu<br> &gt; installed by firmware-9.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso became a grub command line<br>
    &gt; prompt after upgrading to testing.<br>

&gt; 1. For what possible reasons could have my grub menu disappeared?<br>

You&#39;re using &quot;testing&quot;. Bugs are to be expected at least on occasion. Sometimes<br>
    BIOS quirks interfere with Grub setup commands. UEFI BIOS writers probably do<br>
    not spend much time debugging their use with Linux and Grub. UEFI code still<br>
    has more maturing to do before consistency among different machines&#39; behavior<br>
    can be expected.<br>

&gt; 2. You suggest I could boot Debian with &quot;linux&quot; and &quot;initrd&quot; commands. How<br>
    &gt; could I determine which parameters to pass to these commands?<br>

This is why I mentioned your backup grub.cfg file and provided a template from<br>
    one of my own systems.<br>

The initrd line needs only the fullpath of the initrd to be loaded. The linux<br>
    line may work with no more than the same. Most cmdline options used in Grub<br> linux lines are options, meaning not necessary to a successful boot. The stanza<br>
    lines preceding the linux line may or may not be required. All you can do is<br>
    try, preferably based upon your backup. If you can&#39;t locate a backup, retrieve<br>
    the grub.cfg file via a rescue boot and work from it. Make use of tab completion<br>
    to get the appropriate names of kernel and initrd.<br>
    -- <br>
    Evolution as taught in public schools is religion, not science.<br>

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!<br>

Felix Miata  ***  <a href="http://fm.no-ip.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://fm.no-ip.com/</a><br>

</blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05