• After update from Jessie to Testing, graphical environment is dead

From Baadur Jobava@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 8 21:30:01 2015
    --001a113ecc0a39c0a605240d4649
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

I installed a default Debian with the default graphical environment in a Virtualbox instance (64 bits).

After upgrade to Testing:
    in /etc/apt/sources.list changed "jessie" to "testing" and also added
    "contrib" and "nonfree" repositories, then apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade.

The process finished after about 2 hours.

After reboot, the system no longer boots into a graphical environment.
    Instead, it boots into a kind of buggy text console: blinking and non responsive. After a few minutes, the blinking stops and it's possible to

Did I make a mistake in upgrading, or could this be a bug?

Thanks.

Jobava

--001a113ecc0a39c0a605240d4649
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir="ltr"><div><div><div>I installed a default Debian with the default graphical environment in a Virtualbox instance (64 bits).<br><br>After upgrade to Testing:<br>in /etc/apt/sources.list changed &quot;jessie&quot; to &quot;testing&quot; and also
    added &quot;contrib&quot; and &quot;nonfree&quot; repositories, then apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade.<br><br></div>The process finished after about 2 hours.<br><br></div>After reboot, the system no longer boots into a graphical environment.
    Instead, it boots into a kind of buggy text console: blinking and non responsive. After a few minutes, the blinking stops and it&#39;s possible to log in, but also in text mode.<br><br></div><div>Did I make a mistake in upgrading, or could this be a bug?<
    <br></div><div>Thanks.<br><br></div><div>Jobava<br><br></div></div>

--001a113ecc0a39c0a605240d4649--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Baadur Jobava@21:1/5 to Baadur Jobava on Sun Nov 8 21:40:02 2015
    --047d7b10cd6b1b7bcb05240d696a
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Ah, looks like that was fixed by installing the virtualbox guest additions
    from the debian repos.

Jobava

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 10:25 PM, Baadur Jobava <jobaval10n@gmail.com> wrote:

I installed a default Debian with the default graphical environment in a Virtualbox instance (64 bits).

After upgrade to Testing:
    in /etc/apt/sources.list changed "jessie" to "testing" and also added "contrib" and "nonfree" repositories, then apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade.

The process finished after about 2 hours.

After reboot, the system no longer boots into a graphical environment. Instead, it boots into a kind of buggy text console: blinking and non responsive. After a few minutes, the blinking stops and it's possible to

Did I make a mistake in upgrading, or could this be a bug?

Thanks.

Jobava

--047d7b10cd6b1b7bcb05240d696a
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir="ltr"><div>Ah, looks like that was fixed by installing the virtualbox guest additions from the debian repos.<br><br></div>Jobava<br><br></div><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 10:25 PM, Baadur Jobava <
    span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:jobaval10n@gmail.com" target="_blank">jobaval10n@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div><div><div>I
    installed a default Debian with the default graphical environment in a Virtualbox instance (64 bits).<br><br>After upgrade to Testing:<br>in /etc/apt/sources.list changed &quot;jessie&quot; to &quot;testing&quot; and also added &quot;contrib&quot; and &
    quot;nonfree&quot; repositories, then apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade.<br><br></div>The process finished after about 2 hours.<br><br></div>After reboot, the system no longer boots into a graphical environment. Instead, it boots into a kind of
    buggy text console: blinking and non responsive. After a few minutes, the blinking stops and it&#39;s possible to log in, but also in text mode.<br><br></div><div>Did I make a mistake in upgrading, or could this be a bug?<br><br></div><div>Thanks.<span
    class="HOEnZb"><font color="#888888"><br><br></font></span></div><span class="HOEnZb"><font color="#888888"><div>Jobava<br><br></div></font></span></div>
    </blockquote></div><br></div>

--047d7b10cd6b1b7bcb05240d696a--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)