• Success with Debian, failure with Gentoo

From Saulo Paiva@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 1 23:10:01 2021
    Dear everyone,

A new fresh adventurer in the land of hppa on a C8000.

Netinstall goes well on Debian. The auto-partitioner is dumb so I had to
    redo it and separate /boot.
    Another problem is that the installer doesn't contain the firmware for the FireGL (radeon) so when I boot, if I have the keyboard connected, I get a kernel dump. I was hoping at least for unaccelerated frame buffer.

I was not successful with gentoo. The net installer is completely broken.
    Using Debian as a starting point, I got far but then got stuck in the dependency hell

dev-lang/python-3.8.8 and dev-db/sqlite-3.34.1.
    No matter what I did, I couldn't fix this.

Nice to meet you all, and stay healthy.
    Saulo

<div dir="ltr">Dear everyone,<div><br></div><div>A new fresh adventurer in the land of hppa on a C8000.</div><div><br></div><div>Netinstall goes well on Debian. The auto-partitioner is dumb so I had to redo it and separate /boot.</div><div>Another
    problem is that the installer doesn&#39;t contain the firmware for the FireGL (radeon) so when I boot, if I have the keyboard connected, I get a kernel dump. I was hoping at least for unaccelerated frame buffer.</div><div><br></div><div>I was not
    successful with gentoo. The net installer is completely broken.</div><div>Using Debian as a starting point, I got far but then got stuck in the dependency hell</div><div><br></div><div>dev-lang/python-3.8.8 and dev-db/sqlite-3.34.1.</div><div>No matter
    what I did, I couldn&#39;t fix this.</div><div><br></div><div>Nice to meet you all, and stay healthy.</div><div>Saulo</div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Saulo Paiva on Thu Apr 1 23:20:01 2021
    Hi Saulo!

On 4/1/21 10:52 PM, Saulo Paiva wrote:
    Netinstall goes well on Debian. The auto-partitioner is dumb so I had to
    redo it and separate /boot.

What problems did you have with the automatic partioning? If there is any
    bug, it should be reported and fixed.

Another problem is that the installer doesn't contain the firmware for the FireGL (radeon) so when I boot, if I have the keyboard connected, I get a kernel dump. I was hoping at least for unaccelerated frame buffer.

This is a known issue that is still on my TODO list for fixing. It's not trivial
    as the firmware packages are part of the "non-free" archive which is not yet part of Debian Ports.

I was not successful with gentoo. The net installer is completely broken. Using Debian as a starting point, I got far but then got stuck in the dependency hell

For Gentoo, you would have to ask the Gentoo mailing lists or on IRC as most people here probably have little to no experience with Gentoo.

Adrian

--
    .''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
    : :' : Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org
    `. `' Freie Universitaet Berlin - glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de
    `- GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Saulo Paiva@21:1/5 to glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de on Fri Apr 2 08:40:02 2021
    Oh hello :)
    Thanks for the quick reply.

When I first ran the setup, auto partitioner gave me only the PALO
    partition and a huge / partition. After the installation, I couldn’t boot.

So I ran the setup again and got a 24mb Palo, a 285mb /boot and a logical volume containing / and swap. / is flagged as bootable.
    After restart, I’d get a bad LIF number message.

What would be the correct partitioning schema? Is there anything I can
    check at the end of the installation, before reboot, to confirm that palo config went fine?

Then I tried to NetBoot then chroot...

I’ll give the automatic net install a chance today.

Let me know how I can help. Once the machine is up, I can also provide
    secure remote access if needed.

Sauko

On Thu 1. 4. 2021 at 23:14, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz < glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

Hi Saulo!

On 4/1/21 10:52 PM, Saulo Paiva wrote:
    Netinstall goes well on Debian. The auto-partitioner is dumb so I had to redo it and separate /boot.

What problems did you have with the automatic partioning? If there is any bug, it should be reported and fixed.

Another problem is that the installer doesn't contain the firmware for
    the
    FireGL (radeon) so when I boot, if I have the keyboard connected, I get a kernel dump. I was hoping at least for unaccelerated frame buffer.

This is a known issue that is still on my TODO list for fixing. It's not trivial
    as the firmware packages are part of the "non-free" archive which is not
    yet
    part of Debian Ports.

I was not successful with gentoo. The net installer is completely broken. Using Debian as a starting point, I got far but then got stuck in the dependency hell

For Gentoo, you would have to ask the Gentoo mailing lists or on IRC as
    most
    people here probably have little to no experience with Gentoo.

Adrian

--
    .''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
    : :' : Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org
    `. `' Freie Universitaet Berlin - glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de
    `- GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

<div dir="auto">Oh hello :)</div><div dir="auto">Thanks for the quick reply.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">When I first ran the setup, auto partitioner gave me only the PALO partition and a huge / partition. After the installation, I
    couldn’t boot.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">So I ran the setup again and got a 24mb Palo, a 285mb /boot and a logical volume containing / and swap. / is flagged as bootable. </div><div dir="auto">After restart, I’d get a bad LIF
    number message.<br></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">What would be the correct partitioning schema? Is there anything I can check at the end of the installation, before reboot, to confirm that palo config went fine?</div><div dir="auto"><br>
    </div><div dir="auto">Then I tried to NetBoot then chroot...</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">I’ll give the automatic net install a chance today.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Let me know how I can help. Once the machine
    is up, I can also provide secure remote access if needed. </div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Sauko</div><div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Thu 1. 4. 2021 at 23:14, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz &lt;<a href="
    mailto:glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de">glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi Saulo!<br>

On 4/1/21 10:52 PM, Saulo Paiva wrote:<br>
    &gt; Netinstall goes well on Debian. The auto-partitioner is dumb so I had to<br>
    &gt; redo it and separate /boot.<br>

What problems did you have with the automatic partioning? If there is any<br> bug, it should be reported and fixed.<br>

&gt; Another problem is that the installer doesn&#39;t contain the firmware for the<br>
    &gt; FireGL (radeon) so when I boot, if I have the keyboard connected, I get a<br>
    &gt; kernel dump. I was hoping at least for unaccelerated frame buffer.<br>

This is a known issue that is still on my TODO list for fixing. It&#39;s not trivial<br>
    as the firmware packages are part of the &quot;non-free&quot; archive which is not yet<br>
    part of Debian Ports.<br>

&gt; I was not successful with gentoo. The net installer is completely broken.<br>
    &gt; Using Debian as a starting point, I got far but then got stuck in the<br> &gt; dependency hell<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; dev-lang/python-3.8.8 and dev-db/sqlite-3.34.1.<br>
    &gt; No matter what I did, I couldn&#39;t fix this.<br>

For Gentoo, you would have to ask the Gentoo mailing lists or on IRC as most<br>
    people here probably have little to no experience with Gentoo.<br>

Adrian<br>

-- <br>
     .&#39;&#39;`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz<br>
    : :&#39; :  Debian Developer - <a href="mailto:glaubitz@debian.org" target="_blank">glaubitz@debian.org</a><br>
    `. `&#39;   Freie Universitaet Berlin - <a href="mailto:glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de" target="_blank">glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de</a><br>
      `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913<br>

</blockquote></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05