• how would I build installation media

From Christian Groessler@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 11 01:50:02 2021
    Hi there,

I had downloaded a hppa installation CD image. When I boot it on my HPPA machine (HP C3750) it doesn't recognize the CD drive (and I think also
    not the hard disks).

So, how can I cross-build from a AMD64 machine the installation CD? So I
    can try out changes in order to have access to the CD in the install system.

regards,
    chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Christian Groessler on Thu Mar 11 01:50:02 2021
    Hi Christian!

On 3/11/21 1:12 AM, Christian Groessler wrote:
    I had downloaded a hppa installation CD image. When I boot it on my HPPA machine
    (HP C3750) it doesn't recognize the CD drive (and I think also not the hard disks).

So, how can I cross-build from a AMD64 machine the installation CD? So I can try out
    changes in order to have access to the CD in the install system.

Rough guide can be found here [1]. It's not an ideal guide but should get you started.

Adrian

[1] https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/How_to_create_Debian_unstable_iso_images

--
    .''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
    : :' : Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org
    `. `' Freie Universitaet Berlin - glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de
    `- GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 11 02:30:02 2021
    On Mar 11, 2021, at 2:17 AM, Mike Hosken <mike@purple-cat.net> wrote:

This is an issue with the kernel that is used to boot the installation media. It is not built with the CD ROM drivers enabled. I’ve come access this with two of my hppa machines and this is common with the C8000 and 3750. It’s an ide driver for
    these machines that are not loaded.

There are two options available to you -

Put the missing firmware on media and load it when it fails to find the CD drivers.

Hold on, you are contradicting yourself.

Is this an issue with missing firmware or with the driver missing? Those are two distinct issues which require different solutions.

I will provide images including firmware in the near future because I will just build debian-installer itself with the firmware included.

Adrian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Hosken@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 11 02:20:01 2021
    --Apple-Mail-A916AD42-5D96-4E9F-968F-374998C02063
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi Chris,

This is an issue with the kernel that is used to boot the installation media. It is not built with the CD ROM drivers enabled. I’ve come access this with two of my hppa machines and this is common with the C8000 and 3750. It’s an ide driver for these
    machines that are not loaded.

Put the missing firmware on media and load it when it fails to find the CD drivers.

Or

Try the CD image from http://purple-cat.net/debian-hppa-cd/buster/

There will be install media created for the bullseye with the kernel complied with the CD rom drivers enabled. There maybe enabled in the current SID kernel on Debian Ports in which case you could try building a new install image.

Mike Hosken
    Sent via my iPhone

On 11/03/2021, at 13:42, Christian Groessler <chris@groessler.org> wrote:

Hi there,

I had downloaded a hppa installation CD image. When I boot it on my HPPA machine (HP C3750) it doesn't recognize the CD drive (and I think also not the hard disks).

So, how can I cross-build from a AMD64 machine the installation CD? So I can try out changes in order to have access to the CD in the install system.

regards,
    chris

--Apple-Mail-A916AD42-5D96-4E9F-968F-374998C02063
    Content-Type: text/html;
    charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto">Hi Chris,<div><br></div><div>This is an issue with the kernel that is used to boot the installation media. It is not built with the CD ROM drivers
    enabled. I’ve come access this with two of my hppa machines and this is common with the C8000 and 3750. It’s an ide driver for these machines that are not loaded.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>There are two options available to you -</div><div><br></
    <div>Put the missing firmware on media and load it when it fails to find the CD drivers.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Or</div><div><br></div><div>Try the CD image from&nbsp;<a href="http://purple-cat.net/debian-hppa-cd/buster/">http://purple-cat.
    net/debian-hppa-cd/buster/</a>&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>There will be install media created for the bullseye with the kernel complied with the CD rom drivers enabled. There maybe enabled in the current SID kernel on Debian Ports in which case you
    could try building a new install image.&nbsp;</div><div><br><div dir="ltr">Mike Hosken&nbsp;<div>Sent via my iPhone&nbsp;</div></div><div dir="ltr"><br><blockquote type="cite">On 11/03/2021, at 13:42, Christian Groessler &lt;chris@groessler.org&gt; wrote:
    <br><br></blockquote></div><blockquote type="cite"><div dir="ltr"><span>Hi there,</span><br><span></span><br><span>I had downloaded a hppa installation CD image. When I boot it on my HPPA machine (HP C3750) it doesn't recognize the CD drive (and I
    think also not the hard disks).</span><br><span></span><br><span>So, how can I cross-build from a AMD64 machine the installation CD? So I can try out changes in order to have access to the CD in the install system.</span><br><span></span><br><span>
    regards,</span><br><span>chris</span><br><span></span><br></div></blockquote></div></body></html>
    --Apple-Mail-A916AD42-5D96-4E9F-968F-374998C02063--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Helge Deller@21:1/5 to John Paul Adrian Glaubitz on Thu Mar 11 08:50:01 2021
    On 3/11/21 2:26 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
    On Mar 11, 2021, at 2:17 AM, Mike Hosken <mike@purple-cat.net> wrote:
    This is an issue with the kernel that is used to boot the installation media. It is not built with the CD ROM drivers enabled. I’ve come access this with two of my hppa machines and this is common with the C8000 and 3750. It’s an ide driver for
    these machines that are not loaded.

Hold on, you are contradicting yourself.

Is this an issue with missing firmware or with the driver missing? Those are two distinct issues which require different solutions.

Mike meant "driver" (as stated futher above), not firmware.

I will provide images including firmware in the near future because I will just build debian-installer itself with the firmware included.

All existing hppa machines don't need additional firmware during
    installation to access SCSI, network or similar. [*]

Helge

[*] The ATI graphics card in some newer machines (e.g. C8000)
    is the only one which could benefit from firmware, but even here
    it's not required during installation.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05