• Update on buster

From Mike Hosken@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 7 09:00:02 2019
    --Apple-Mail-80589EE9-6F45-4AE3-A83F-DF466723B7A7
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi team,

I’m currently testing the buster HPPA and Bullseye HPPA install media after a lot of testing and large amounts of frustration I believe I have solved the issues.

Once I have tested the current installer on my all my machines with out issues I will release them. Please note these are not official Debian Ports install media and will not install Sid.

The buster release ( Debian Stable) is intended for servers mainly who need stable system software and security updates.

Bullseye is the testing branch of HPPA and is recommended for all. It is mainly a mirror of Sid with some fixes if needed been made.

Which one is right for you.
    As the purple-cat media is solely done by myself and is server focused its your best choice for machines directly connected to the internet, as updates are added to the distro regularly.

Use bullseye if you want to use more current packages. I may do a backport repo if needed.

I will announce the release of the media soon.

I

Mike Hosken

Sent from my iPhone
    --Apple-Mail-80589EE9-6F45-4AE3-A83F-DF466723B7A7
    Content-Type: text/html;
    charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto">Hi team,<div><br></div><div>I’m currently testing the buster HPPA and Bullseye HPPA install media after a lot of testing and large amounts of
    frustration I believe I have solved the issues. &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Once I have tested the current installer on my all my machines with out issues I will release them. Please note these are not official Debian Ports install media and will not
    install Sid.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>The buster release ( Debian Stable) is intended for servers mainly who need stable system software and security updates.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Bullseye is the testing branch of HPPA and is recommended
    for all. It is mainly a mirror of Sid with some fixes if needed been made.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Which one is right for you.&nbsp;</div><div>As the purple-cat media is solely done by myself and is server focused its your best choice for machines
    directly connected to the internet, as updates are added to the distro regularly.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Use bullseye if you want to use more current packages. I may do a backport repo if needed.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I will announce the
    release of the media soon.</div><div><br></div><div>I</div><div><br><div id="AppleMailSignature" dir="ltr"><div style="font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;"><div>Mike Hosken</div><div><br></div></div><div style="font-family:
    UICTFontTextStyleBody; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;">Sent from my iPhone</div></div></div></body></html>
    --Apple-Mail-80589EE9-6F45-4AE3-A83F-DF466723B7A7--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Mike Hosken on Tue May 7 10:50:02 2019
    Hi Mike!

On 5/7/19 8:55 AM, Mike Hosken wrote:
    The buster release ( Debian Stable) is intended for servers mainly
    who need stable system software and security updates. 

Out of curiosity, how are you providing the security updates? Have
    you set up a buildd which pulls in the sources from the Buster security
    sources and upload them to a custom mirror?

Since Debian Ports is building unstable packages only, we can't really
    support releases. We would need an instance of Britney which is the
    testing migration daemon used for Debian release architectures.

Adrian

--
    .''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
    : :' : Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org
    `. `' Freie Universitaet Berlin - glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de
    `- GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Hosken@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 7 11:10:02 2019
    --Apple-Mail-341D4B39-FA49-4B56-9F40-7C1B123E9487
    charset=utf-8

Hi Adrian, I am looking into a more automated building platform. I’ve asked if I could get access to the security and proposed updates but I was declined. I track the releases, Build manually or if there are a large number process them through a script
    I made.

I would like to have a Britney setup to help with testing as it’s a manual pull to testing from Sid. I will into it, I might need a hand. At this stage with the daemon.

I will have up 3 pa risc machines to make this work happen. Does Britney need to be hppa as I have some good amd64 Servers.

I will accept all offers of help. It would be good to see if a bbuild setup for stable and Britney on line I have got a /28 of public ips and I’m eager to have this working the ‘debian’ way.

Mike Hosken

Sent from my iPhone

On 7/05/2019, at 20:44, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

Hi Mike!

On 5/7/19 8:55 AM, Mike Hosken wrote:
    The buster release ( Debian Stable) is intended for servers mainly
    who need stable system software and security updates.

Out of curiosity, how are you providing the security updates? Have
    you set up a buildd which pulls in the sources from the Buster security sources and upload them to a custom mirror?

Since Debian Ports is building unstable packages only, we can't really support releases. We would need an instance of Britney which is the
    testing migration daemon used for Debian release architectures.

Adrian

--

--Apple-Mail-341D4B39-FA49-4B56-9F40-7C1B123E9487
    charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto">Hi Adrian, I am looking into a more automated building platform. I’ve asked if I could get access to the security and proposed updates but I was
    declined. I track the releases, Build manually or if there are a large number process them through a script I made.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>I would like to have a Britney setup to help with testing as it’s a manual pull to testing from Sid. I will
    into it, I might need a hand. At this stage with the daemon.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I will have up 3 pa risc machines to make this work happen. Does Britney need to be hppa as I have some good amd64 Servers.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I will
    accept all offers of help. It would be good to see if a bbuild setup for stable and Britney on line &nbsp; I have got a /28 of public ips and I’m eager to have this working the ‘debian’ way.&nbsp;<br><br><div id="AppleMailSignature" dir="ltr"><div
    style="font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;"><div>Mike Hosken</div><div><br></div></div><div style="font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;">Sent from my iPhone</div></div><div dir="ltr"><br>On 7/
    05/2019, at 20:44, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz &lt;<a href="mailto:glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de">glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><blockquote type="cite"><div dir="ltr"><span>Hi Mike!</span><br><span></span><br><span>On 5/7/19 8:55
    AM, Mike Hosken wrote:</span><br><blockquote type="cite"><span>The buster release ( Debian Stable) is intended for servers mainly</span><br></blockquote><blockquote type="cite"><span>who need stable system software and security updates.&nbsp;</span><br></
    blockquote><span></span><br><span>Out of curiosity, how are you providing the security updates? Have</span><br><span>you set up a buildd which pulls in the sources from the Buster security</span><br><span>sources and upload them to a custom mirror?</span>
    <br><span></span><br><span>Since Debian Ports is building unstable packages only, we can't really</span><br><span>support releases. We would need an instance of Britney which is the</span><br><span>testing migration daemon used for Debian release
    architectures.</span><br><span></span><br><span>Adrian</span><br><span></span><br><span>-- </span><br><span> .''`. &nbsp;John Paul Adrian Glaubitz</span><br><span>: :' : &nbsp;Debian Developer - <a href="mailto:glaubitz@debian.org">glaubitz@debian.org</a>
    </span><br><span>`. `' &nbsp;&nbsp;Freie Universitaet Berlin - <a href="mailto:glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de">glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de</a></span><br><span> &nbsp;`- &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 &nbsp;0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913</span><
    </div></blockquote></div></body></html> --Apple-Mail-341D4B39-FA49-4B56-9F40-7C1B123E9487--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Mike Hosken on Tue May 7 11:20:02 2019
    Hi Mike!

On 5/7/19 11:04 AM, Mike Hosken wrote:
    Hi Adrian, I am looking into a more automated building platform. I’ve asked if I could get access to the security and proposed updates but I was declined. I track the releases, Build manually or if there are a large number process them through a
    script I made. 

Okay, it would probably make more sense then to cooperate with the Debian
    Ports team. Are you in the IRC channel #debian-ports on OFTC?

I would like to have a Britney setup to help with testing as it’s a manual pull to testing from Sid. I will into it, I might need a hand. At this stage with the daemon. 

We are planning this for ports as well. It would make more sense to have
    it for all ports architectures.

I will have up 3 pa risc machines to make this work happen. Does Britney need to be hppa as I have some good amd64 Servers. 

No, architecture doesn't matter here.

I will accept all offers of help. It would be good to see if a bbuild setup for stable and Britney on line   I have got a /28 of public ips and I’m eager to have this working the ‘debian’ way.
    Sounds good.

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Hosken@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 8 11:50:01 2019
    --Apple-Mail-37F9A8B6-9F35-44EF-BE81-A69D7939B500
    charset=utf-8

Hi Adrian,

I’ll join the channel on irc. Would be keen in helping getting the testing Brittney daemon up and running and I can provide hardware and internet connections to do so, also wanna-build buildd etc

Mike Hosken

Sent from my iPhone

On 7/05/2019, at 21:14, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

Hi Mike!

On 5/7/19 11:04 AM, Mike Hosken wrote:
    Hi Adrian, I am looking into a more automated building platform. I’ve asked if I could get access to the security and proposed updates but I was declined. I track the releases, Build manually or if there are a large number process them through a
    script I made.

Okay, it would probably make more sense then to cooperate with the Debian Ports team. Are you in the IRC channel #debian-ports on OFTC?

We are planning this for ports as well. It would make more sense to have
    it for all ports architectures.

No, architecture doesn't matter here.

I will accept all offers of help. It would be good to see if a bbuild setup for stable and Britney on line I have got a /28 of public ips and I’m eager to have this working the ‘debian’ way.
    Sounds good.

Adrian

--

--Apple-Mail-37F9A8B6-9F35-44EF-BE81-A69D7939B500
    charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto">Hi Adrian,&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>I’ll join the channel on irc. Would be keen in helping getting the testing Brittney daemon up and running and I
    can provide hardware and internet connections to do so, also wanna-build buildd etc<br><br><div id="AppleMailSignature" dir="ltr"><div style="font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;"><div>Mike Hosken</div><div><br></div></div><
    div style="font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;">Sent from my iPhone</div></div><div dir="ltr"><br>On 7/05/2019, at 21:14, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz &lt;<a href="mailto:glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de">glaubitz@physik.fu-
    berlin.de</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><blockquote type="cite"><div dir="ltr"><span>Hi Mike!</span><br><span></span><br><span>On 5/7/19 11:04 AM, Mike Hosken wrote:</span><br><blockquote type="cite"><span>Hi Adrian, I am looking into a more automated
    building platform. I’ve asked if I could get access to the security and proposed updates but I was declined. I track the releases, Build manually or if there are a large number process them through a script I made.&nbsp;</span><br></blockquote><span></
    span><br><span>Okay, it would probably make more sense then to cooperate with the Debian</span><br><span>Ports team. Are you in the IRC channel #debian-ports on OFTC?</span><br><span></span><br><blockquote type="cite"><span>I would like to have a Britney
    setup to help with testing as it’s a manual pull to testing from Sid. I will into it, I might need a hand. At this stage with the daemon.&nbsp;</span><br></blockquote><span></span><br><span>We are planning this for ports as well. It would make more
    sense to have</span><br><span>it for all ports architectures.</span><br><span></span><br><blockquote type="cite"><span>I will have up 3 pa risc machines to make this work happen. Does Britney need to be hppa as I have some good amd64 Servers.&nbsp;</span>
    <br></blockquote><span></span><br><span>No, architecture doesn't matter here.</span><br><span></span><br><blockquote type="cite"><span>I will accept all offers of help. It would be good to see if a bbuild setup for stable and Britney on line &nbsp; I
    have got a /28 of public ips and I’m eager to have this working the ‘debian’ way. </span><br></blockquote><span>Sounds good.</span><br><span></span><br><span>Adrian</span><br><span></span><br><span>-- </span><br><span> .''`. &nbsp;John Paul Adrian
    Glaubitz</span><br><span>: :' : &nbsp;Debian Developer - <a href="mailto:glaubitz@debian.org">glaubitz@debian.org</a></span><br><span>`. `' &nbsp;&nbsp;Freie Universitaet Berlin - <a href="mailto:glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de">glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de<
    </span><br><span> &nbsp;`- &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 &nbsp;0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913</span><br></div></blockquote></div></body></html>
    --Apple-Mail-37F9A8B6-9F35-44EF-BE81-A69D7939B500--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05