• Install media for parisc-linux (HPPA)

From Mike Hosken@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 23 10:00:01 2019
    Hi Team,

I’m about
    To release new install media for Debian HPPA.

First Debian 9.9 this will be the last update for this release. It has several security updates included. This will be the old stable.

Second Debian 10.0 pre release of the next stable release. This distribution is designed primarily for servers that are still in use and or need the security updates on a stable platform mostly in line with the official Debian releases. There may be some
    packages added until it becomes stable.

Third Debian 11 is a pre release of the upcoming bullseye testing distribution. This distribution is recommended for everyone who do want a little more stability than Sid provides.

Forth Debian 12 is the installer for Sid using the Debian Ports Repo. Since this is a moving target the installation my break after some time has passed. There for please check the date of the installer. The preferred install to Sid would either install
    the ports installer or install the bullseye testing and upgrade to Sid.

A little background on install images that I have produced.

Debian 9 was hard coded to install via serial console and used a preceed file to control the installer options while install was taking place. For instance no mirror was needed to be entered as the preceed took care of that part of the installation
    adding update repos as well as the main repo. This also was the case for the previous Debian 10 installer

I’ve have produced 3 flavours for each new installer.

1 same setup as 9 and 10. This makes it easy for servers to install. Sets up mirrors as well.

2 a setup without the console hardcoded in which allows the machine to use default console, it also sets up mirrors

3 a full CD or DVD disk with no installer options hard coded. This allows off line installation.

4 custom installation media. I can create custom installation media for people with different requirements. For instance VM machines.

5 I’m working on a live DVD for hppa May take a while to get working if at all.

Notes
    Firstly I would like to thank everyone who helps keeping the port still going.

All media contain firmware to make the installation process less troublesome.

The key that apt uses has been updated.
    To update-

wget linux.purple-cat.net/purple-cat.gpg
    apt-key add purple-cat.gpg

The updates to stretch will be discontinued 31/3/2019, updates to buster will commence once they’re available.

One Note However due to conflicts in some packages there is no simple upgrade path between stretch and Buster or Sid so I recommend backing up data and reinstall Buster once it’s been made stable.

I will send another email after I have tested each distribution and flavour with installation instructions and download information.

If there is anyone wishing to test some of the images or need any more information then contact me at mike@purple-cat.net. I’m also looking for another security build machine.

The installer and mirror site ftp.parisc-linux.org and linux.purple-cat.net is working but is going through some design changes if you are having issues please send me an email first to check it’s my reconfigured site that’s the cause

I hope that this email clears up some issues and gives some missing information. I’d expect the new installers will be ready by the end of the month.

Mike Hosken
    mike@purple-cat.net
    Sent from my iPhone

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Helge Deller@21:1/5 to Mike Hosken on Sat Mar 23 12:00:01 2019
    Hi Mike,

On 23.03.19 09:56, Mike Hosken wrote:
    I’m about

Thanks for doing that!

First Debian 9.9 this will be the last update for this release. It has several security updates included. This will be the old stable.

Second Debian 10.0 pre release of the next stable release. This distribution is designed primarily for servers that are still in use and or need the security updates on a stable platform mostly in line with the official Debian releases. There may be
    some packages added until it becomes stable.

Third Debian 11 is a pre release of the upcoming bullseye testing distribution. This distribution is recommended for everyone who do want a little more stability than Sid provides.

Forth Debian 12 is the installer for Sid using the Debian Ports Repo. Since this is a moving target the installation my break after some time has passed. There for please check the date of the installer. The preferred install to Sid would either
    install the ports installer or install the bullseye testing and upgrade to Sid.

Debian 9 was hard coded to install via serial console and used a preceed file to control the installer options while install was taking place. For instance no mirror was needed to be entered as the preceed took care of that part of the installation
    adding update repos as well as the main repo. This also was the case for the previous Debian 10 installer

1 same setup as 9 and 10. This makes it easy for servers to install. Sets up mirrors as well.

2 a setup without the console hardcoded in which allows the machine to use default console, it also sets up mirrors

Why do you need a set of CDs with hardcoded console?
    Palo usually detects the default console.

3 a full CD or DVD disk with no installer options hard coded. This allows off line installation.

4 custom installation media. I can create custom installation media for people with different requirements. For instance VM machines.

Notes

To update-

The updates to stretch will be discontinued 31/3/2019, updates to buster will commence once they’re available.

One Note However due to conflicts in some packages there is no simple upgrade path between stretch and Buster or Sid so I recommend backing up data and reinstall Buster once it’s been made stable.

I will send another email after I have tested each distribution and flavour with installation instructions and download information.

If there is anyone wishing to test some of the images or need any more information then contact me at mike@purple-cat.net. I’m also looking for another security build machine.

The installer and mirror site ftp.parisc-linux.org and linux.purple-cat.net is working but is going through some design changes if you are having issues please send me an email first to check it’s my reconfigured site that’s the cause

I hope that this email clears up some issues and gives some missing information. I’d expect the new installers will be ready by the end of the month.

Mike Hosken
    mike@purple-cat.net
    Sent from my iPhone

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Hosken@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 23 12:20:01 2019
    Hi Helge,

See comment below

Mike

On 23/03/2019, at 23:52, Helge Deller <deller@gmx.de> wrote:

Hi Mike,

On 23.03.19 09:56, Mike Hosken wrote:
    I’m about

Thanks for doing that!

Second Debian 10.0 pre release of the next stable release. This distribution is designed primarily for servers that are still in use and or need the security updates on a stable platform mostly in line with the official Debian releases. There may be
    some packages added until it becomes stable.

Forth Debian 12 is the installer for Sid using the Debian Ports Repo. Since this is a moving target the installation my break after some time has passed. There for please check the date of the installer. The preferred install to Sid would either
    install the ports installer or install the bullseye testing and upgrade to Sid. >>

Why do you need a set of CDs with hardcoded console?
    Palo usually detects the default console.

It was for the issue with the c8000 not wanting to install if I remember but probably not needed anymore since it was a few years ago now. I’ll do some more tests and remove it from the kernel prams if it looks promising.

I’ll do a bit better on my documentation this time so people don’t get confused whilst installing. Then I’ll update the wiki.

Notes

To update-

Mike Hosken
    mike@purple-cat.net
    Sent from my iPhone

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lothar Paltins@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 23 15:50:01 2019
    Hi,

this might be a stupid question for someone familiar with debian and the
    hppa port. I'm not, I just want to download a CD image and try a fresh installation on several hppa workstations, just to be able to play with
    Linux on these machines besides the originally installed HP-UX. What
    image should I use?

Best regards
    Lothar
    --
    Lothar Paltins lptmp10@arcor.de

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John David Anglin@21:1/5 to Lothar Paltins on Sat Mar 23 17:00:01 2019
    Hi Lothar,

On 2019-03-23 10:44 a.m., Lothar Paltins wrote:
    Hi,

this might be a stupid question for someone familiar with debian and the hppa port. I'm not, I just want to download a CD image and try a
    fresh installation on several hppa workstations, just to be able to play with Linux on these machines besides the originally installed HP-UX.
    What image should I use?
    I don't think there is a simple answer to your question.

First, I would look at Mike Hoskin's mail today on the new install media that he's going to release
    and pick a distribution that best fits your needs.  I'm sure Mike would appreciate feedback on his work.

While the sid images are probably best from a bug standpoint, there have been a couple of ABI breaking
    changes over the years.  We have also lost java support due to the dropping of gcj.  Although there has
    been some porting work, openjdk doesn't yet build on hppa.   This is because the stack grows upward
    on hppa.  This is blocking the build of some packages that used to build.  There's also a cache corruption
    issue that's more prevalent in kernels later than v4.18.0.  It mostly affects SMP machines.  So, there are
    pros and cons to using sid.

Hope that helps.

Dave

--
    John David Anglin dave.anglin@bell.net

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05