• bonding module not loading in Stretch

From Ross Halliday@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 24 23:30:02 2017
    Hi list,

This isn't ISP-specific but I know quite a few run this driver.

I'm attempting to roll a new router/firewall using Debian 9 and am hitting a wall with the bonding module. The last time I configured bonding was on Squeeze (Debian 6), I did through adding

"alias bond0 bonding
    options bonding <whatever>"

into /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.conf, and adding some shortcuts in /etc/network/interfaces to call ifenslave.

I see now that the preferred method is to do everything in the interfaces file, by passing options like "bond_mode" and so on.

The issue I'm running into is that I can't get the bonding driver to load on boot. After a fresh boot, "ifup" returns "no such device". I must manually modprobe bonding in order to get it running. This happens despite adding the above options into a file
    in /etc/modprobe.d. For similar reasons - or so I assume - I can't get additional bonds to work unless I manipulate /sys/class/net/bonding_masters as suggested here https://ubuntuforums.org/printthread.php?t=1119460

It seems the real problem is that things I put into /etc/modules or a file under /etc/modprobe.d are ignored.

Are things done differently now? I mostly missed Debian 8, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm just ignorant.

Thanks
    Ross

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ross Halliday@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 25 00:00:02 2017
    Please disregard - it's been so long I forgot that files had to end in ".conf". Also assumed that "max_bonds" did something else.

Working quite nicely now! Three instances of the bonding driver and a pile of VLANs load automatically on boot now.

Cheers
    Ross

-----Original Message-----
    From: Ross Halliday [mailto:ross.halliday@wtccommunications.ca]
    Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 3:46 PM
    To: debian-isp@lists.debian.org
    Subject: [EXTERNAL] bonding module not loading in Stretch

Hi list,

I'm attempting to roll a new router/firewall using Debian 9 and am hitting a wall with the bonding module. The last time I configured bonding was on Squeeze (Debian 6), I did through adding

"alias bond0 bonding

into /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.conf, and adding some shortcuts in /etc/network/interfaces to call ifenslave.

I see now that the preferred method is to do everything in the interfaces file, by passing options like "bond_mode" and so on.

The issue I'm running into is that I can't get the bonding driver to load on boot. After a fresh boot, "ifup" returns "no such device". I must manually modprobe bonding in order to get it running. This happens despite adding the above options into a file
    in /etc/modprobe.d. For similar reasons - or so I assume - I can't get additional bonds to work unless I manipulate /sys/class/net/bonding_masters as suggested here https://ubuntuforums.org/printthread.php?t=1119460

It seems the real problem is that things I put into /etc/modules or a file under /etc/modprobe.d are ignored.

Are things done differently now? I mostly missed Debian 8, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm just ignorant.

Thanks
    Ross

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eliezer Croitoru@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 26 01:20:02 2017
    Can you share a full example of how it all works together?

Thanks,
    Eliezer

----
    Eliezer Croitoru
    Linux System Administrator
    Mobile: +972-5-28704261
    Email: eliezer@ngtech.co.il

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 23:35
    Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] bonding module not loading in Stretch

Please disregard - it's been so long I forgot that files had to end in
    ".conf". Also assumed that "max_bonds" did something else.

Working quite nicely now! Three instances of the bonding driver and a pile
    of VLANs load automatically on boot now.

Cheers
    Ross

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 3:46 PM
    Subject: [EXTERNAL] bonding module not loading in Stretch

Hi list,

I'm attempting to roll a new router/firewall using Debian 9 and am hitting a wall with the bonding module. The last time I configured bonding was on
    Squeeze (Debian 6), I did through adding

"alias bond0 bonding

I see now that the preferred method is to do everything in the interfaces
    file, by passing options like "bond_mode" and so on.

The issue I'm running into is that I can't get the bonding driver to load on boot. After a fresh boot, "ifup" returns "no such device". I must manually modprobe bonding in order to get it running. This happens despite adding the above options into a file in /etc/modprobe.d. For similar reasons - or so I assume - I can't get additional bonds to work unless I manipulate /sys/class/net/bonding_masters as suggested here https://ubuntuforums.org/printthread.php?t=1119460

Are things done differently now? I mostly missed Debian 8, it wouldn't
    surprise me if I'm just ignorant.

Thanks
    Ross

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05