• Libc6 Usage Question

From Alexis E@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 26 03:10:01 2023
    Dear Debian Mailing List,
    I am working on a project which requires libc6. When I build this
    project on my laptop, the project works fine as it builds for the libc6 on
    my laptop, however, when I build it in Github actions, the project fails to run, due to Debian not having a libc6 version as low as GLibC 2.32. I've
    tried to compile my project to musl, statically, and even just embedding
    the correct version of libc6 in the lib folder that I set my rpath to. I've either had segfaults or failed builds. I would like to ask how I can either support an older version of libc6 or upgrade any customers' systems to the correct version. I'd also happily accept not requiring libc6 at all.

How may I achieve this?

Thank You,
    Alexis

```bash
    ./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by ./project)
    ./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32' not found (required by ./project)
    ./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by ./project)
    ./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0)
    ./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32' not found (required by lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0)
    ./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0)
    ./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by lib/libfreetype.so.6)
    ```

<div dir="ltr"><div>Dear Debian Mailing List,</div><div>    I am working on a project which requires libc6. When I build this project on my laptop, the project works fine as it builds for the libc6 on my laptop, however, when I build it in Github
    actions, the project fails to run, due to Debian not having a libc6 version as low as GLibC 2.32. I&#39;ve tried to compile my project to musl, statically, and even just embedding the correct version of libc6 in the lib folder that I set my rpath to. I&#
    39;ve either had segfaults or failed builds. I would like to ask how I can either support an older version of libc6 or upgrade any customers&#39; systems to the correct version. I&#39;d also happily accept not requiring libc6 at all.</div><div><br></div><
    How may I achieve this?</div><div><br></div><div>Thank You,</div><div>Alexis<br></div><div><br></div><div>```bash</div><div>./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33&#39; not found (required by ./project)<br>./project: /lib/x86_
    64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32&#39; not found (required by ./project)<br>./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34&#39; not found (required by ./project)<br>./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.
    33&#39; not found (required by lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0)<br>./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32&#39; not found (required by lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0)<br>./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34&#39; not found (
    required by lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0)<br>./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33&#39; not found (required by lib/libfreetype.so.6)</div><div>```<br></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From tomas@tuxteam.de@21:1/5 to Alexis E on Wed Apr 26 10:40:01 2023
    On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 06:29:11PM -0400, Alexis E wrote:
    my laptop, however, when I build it in Github actions, the project fails to run, due to Debian not having a libc6 version as low as GLibC 2.32 [...]

It's not clear whether you need a version lower than 2.32, higher than
    that or exactly that one.

FWIW, Debian stable has 2.31, soon-to-be stable testing 2.36 [1], so perhaps testing fills your bill.

All in all, I think you'd have to take this up with Github, not with
    Debian.

Cheers

[1] https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libc6&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
    --
    t

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iF0EABECAB0WIQRp53liolZD6iXhAoIFyCz1etHaRgUCZEipDAAKCRAFyCz1etHa Rr3FAJ4+pMNj0m1kp56g6xNVn0AAANsmdQCeKghPBWSGCBpKcal9rpRUPzN4V1Y=
    =+DIT
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alexis E@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 26 10:40:01 2023
    I discovered there are more lists than just this one, so I'll be forwarding
    the email to the appropriate list (which I believe to be debian-glibc@lists.debian.org). I should mention, I'm so glad I only
    supplied my first name as I did not know that y'all could even get the name
    I supplied to Google, much less that it would be published. I would rather
    not publish my name and only be referenced by email

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 6:29 PM Alexis E <alexis.public.email@gmail.com> wrote:

my laptop, however, when I build it in Github actions, the project fails to run, due to Debian not having a libc6 version as low as GLibC 2.32. I've tried to compile my project to musl, statically, and even just embedding
    the correct version of libc6 in the lib folder that I set my rpath to. I've either had segfaults or failed builds. I would like to ask how I can either support an older version of libc6 or upgrade any customers' systems to the correct version. I'd also happily accept not requiring libc6 at all.

How may I achieve this?

Thank You,
    Alexis

```bash
    ./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by ./project)
    ./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32' not found (required by ./project)
    ./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by ./project)
    ./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0)
    ./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32' not found (required by lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0)
    ./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0)
    ./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by lib/libfreetype.so.6)
    ```

<div dir="ltr"><div>I discovered there are more lists than just this one, so I&#39;ll be forwarding the email to the appropriate list (which I believe to be <a href="mailto:debian-glibc@lists.debian.org">debian-glibc@lists.debian.org</a>). I should
    mention, I&#39;m so glad I only supplied my first name as I did not know that y&#39;all could even get the name I supplied to Google, much less that it would be published. I would rather not publish my name and only be referenced by email<br></div></div><
    <div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 6:29 PM Alexis E &lt;<a href="mailto:alexis.public.email@gmail.com">alexis.public.email@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="
    margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div>Dear Debian Mailing List,</div><div>    I am working on a project which requires libc6. When I build this project on my laptop, the project works
    fine as it builds for the libc6 on my laptop, however, when I build it in Github actions, the project fails to run, due to Debian not having a libc6 version as low as GLibC 2.32. I&#39;ve tried to compile my project to musl, statically, and even just
    embedding the correct version of libc6 in the lib folder that I set my rpath to. I&#39;ve either had segfaults or failed builds. I would like to ask how I can either support an older version of libc6 or upgrade any customers&#39; systems to the correct
    version. I&#39;d also happily accept not requiring libc6 at all.</div><div><br></div><div>How may I achieve this?</div><div><br></div><div>Thank You,</div><div>Alexis<br></div><div><br></div><div>```bash</div><div>./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.
    6: version `GLIBC_2.33&#39; not found (required by ./project)<br>./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32&#39; not found (required by ./project)<br>./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34&#39; not found (
    required by ./project)<br>./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33&#39; not found (required by lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0)<br>./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32&#39; not found (required by lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.
    0)<br>./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34&#39; not found (required by lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0)<br>./project: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33&#39; not found (required by lib/libfreetype.so.6)</div><div>```<br><
    /div></div>
    </blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Langasek@21:1/5 to Alexis E on Wed Apr 26 10:40:01 2023
    Hi Alexis,

Note that the debian-project mailing list is for internal discussions of the debian-project; debian-user is probably a better mailing list for questions such as this.

my laptop, however, when I build it in Github actions, the project fails to run, due to Debian not having a libc6 version as low as GLibC 2.32. I've tried to compile my project to musl, statically, and even just embedding

The basic fact is that Linux binaries built in one environment are not guaranteed to be portable to run on other Linux distributions (or other versions of the same distribution).

If github actions give you the option of building in a Debian stable environment, that would address your needs.

But I wouldn't generally regard github as a production build environment.

The other option is that you can wait for the next Debian stable release,
    which will bring glibc 2.36...

How may I achieve this?

Thank You,
    Alexis

```bash
    ```

--
    Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world. Ubuntu Developer https://www.debian.org/ slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEErEg/aN5yj0PyIC/KVo0w8yGyEz0FAmRIyl0ACgkQVo0w8yGy Ez0dyw/9F5Eh6qqXxKJFK+lLtccyMhKzQBtGtsas0+hgKQxxElAWk60sdBu4YzDR 76IZF+O5DUfG3mWY08/iixvbi1XZwYhbbMD3q0eKQUPnZg75eIIUh76M3vu9BZvD Q55DvM6rrOulQXSbXoKX+/bw2QsEweZaIPIXRh2HQF3kk2pBzlrO5H9QpmmoXj9B z7ucCA5HAT2tkFxY6N5Ijd7bU/6ZkV6XcKqgGGV/WGEM+5lVeyB0WD/vM7e2OQCf ahEXFrt3U/rKpaIKCvFvpLwFWqUPLk5M61GDc07kwJ2G+Mz4h6nhAmcmr59ABm64 OypO0hR1p6LIdZvumkAuzp1+1BH3XcFa2kwh5H/fLZnvfREJjZe1d15M279oxWPp Yx2nubkrYEEikfWG1ntaoixRlJKmLzBjQeDhBQZIgUyFaTLahf5yW48sWOcEunkZ ASD3AlrCNyXv72dWbMub9EHdEYFTOyhMx20kAH7u7/AIpVAFebkfzU3k7X/AUuNB aPvR5/ajowkzijL8JFjvluZJ7ZKIg64X1zvZnPwUJqhSgPeTXcoDfDelIWwOwn4W RTGMacIrfCqEBBih5GyU
  • From Andrey Rakhmatullin@21:1/5 to Alexis E on Wed Apr 26 10:40:01 2023
    my laptop, however, when I build it in Github actions, the project fails to run, due to Debian not having a libc6 version as low as GLibC 2.32.
    If you want to support running on stable consider building on stable. You
    may want to consult Github actions documentation to see if it's possible
    and how to do that.
    Please also note that the user support list is debian-user@.

I've
    tried to compile my project to musl, statically, and even just embedding
    Out of all of these options building on an older system sounds the best
    and the easiest.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrey Rakhmatullin@21:1/5 to Alexis E on Wed Apr 26 13:20:01 2023
    On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 10:24:35PM -0400, Alexis E wrote:
    I discovered there are more lists than just this one, so I'll be forwarding the email to the appropriate list (which I believe to be debian-glibc@lists.debian.org).
    Definitely not that one.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sam Morris@21:1/5 to Alexis E on Wed Apr 26 19:40:01 2023
    On 25/04/2023 23:29, Alexis E wrote:
        I am working on a project which requires libc6. When I build this project on my laptop, the project works fine as it builds for the libc6
    on my laptop, however, when I build it in Github actions, the project
    fails to run, due to Debian not having a libc6 version as low as GLibC

Try changing your job to run on an older runner image: https://docs.github.com/en/actions/using-workflows/workflow-syntax-for-github-actions#choosing-github-hosted-runners

For instance, ubuntu-18.04 will build against glibc 2.27.

--
    Sam Morris <https://robots.org.uk/>
    PGP: rsa4096/CAAA AA1A CA69 A83A 892B 1855 D20B 4202 5CDA 27B9

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05