• Debian Roadmap 2030

From Felix Lechner@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 15 07:50:01 2021
    Hi,

Three folks on -vote recently responded to a GR proposal that we—as a group—have more important things to do, yet no one articulated what
    those things were. With this message, I hope to collect your ideas.

My approach more or less follows the footsteps of Mehdi Dogguy, who successfully distinguished his efforts from Debian's release goals.
    [1] I wish for your broadest perspective. That is why I posted on a
    generally non-technical list first.

Please feel free to respond privately with answers to any of the
    questions below. Before replying on-list, please consider that you may
    spark a discussion even though it is too early for that. I will
    present a summary of all submissions in January 2022 and moderate a
    debate then.

Anonymous submissions will look like my own. Out of respect for
    everyone in this group, I will add my own suggestions at the latest
    possible time.

Please send your ideas prior to January 2, 2022, and please share this
    message. Thank you so much!

Kind regards,
    Felix Lechner

[1] https://debconf16.debconf.org/talks/122/

Which challenge should Debian solve before 2030? (Please limit
    yourself to 500 words or less.)

Would you like to remain anonymous?

Do you have the expertise to implement your idea?

Are you interested in helping with your idea?

Do you prefer to work alone or in a team?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Paul Wise@21:1/5 to Felix Lechner on Tue Nov 16 03:00:03 2021
    On Sun, 2021-11-14 at 16:09 -0800, Felix Lechner wrote:

Three folks on -vote recently responded to a GR proposal that we—as a group—have more important things to do, yet no one articulated what

In case people aren't aware of the existing ideas from the Debian
    community, there have been a lot over the years all collected in many
    different places but links to the places aggregated here:

https://wiki.debian.org/Ideas

--
    bye,
    pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEEYQsotVz8/kXqG1Y7MRa6Xp/6aaMFAmGS+zYACgkQMRa6Xp/6 aaNpaxAAsrpJjIbpm7ZgzbCxyMjKVW9JSO7N/ldK1/4j5FfQRYDMtY37gOynSU+F GTJCIkIrBI4z6G+6kieklp8Dgw5lti7P8zTZ1sXBrIFgj/E5ov8r1pz/B/3vIWas 4QXLeyfkViKPU0Q301xHHzj/zpULj3uJ54tc0JI37p06wmlkPi9LJS7LplVMOVQt TpGlKq/Gl5VpBP0MIfb3HCLT4yd4JBzQUJ11oCV7JQfsm4C5FZja/7l+IHni262i Fk7iETYkDnaaJQoDnvYUrFDdXzSdN2ypQ7gph1XKa9ZRB0Z1Xc51pnZzAuEB8oF/ /428YLmnavZBTYKgjg22uW3YWCFQvkuQUn63JoTrZJEtWkw9Ia+TTC+KMtKSgjua RFz9ugBDuYuXCZ/JC0C1bT/pcs3vJe0q/QIoA4N/Uw4jHtGeMEqEAJ+YV2hmm4du k4T14Lkwh7pVul5oN0YMAGsvZe68TIbg7J+YBfYYW/m2iya+Pi6z20G3t1NRBtt+ z4+acSRD9JMHgRruH++dxa1bONt9BIQ47IegCRkM0UxPFyC1kOCcyo9WjKZ5My4F UAabjPaUQ8olVCibutZdO/iPu++wZzSu7zF3GDnyfg3bYtLW4jEAEDtOipLA/viO /1K9eTiFw8TrBh2HtGU+KjW43/d8AJx5BR2WrwoBkIw2disRHow=
    =tPgF
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Raphael Hertzog@21:1/5 to Felix Lechner on Sun Nov 28 11:30:02 2021
    On Sun, 14 Nov 2021, Felix Lechner wrote:
    Hi,

[...]
    Please feel free to respond privately with answers to any of the
    questions below. Before replying on-list, please consider that you may
    spark a discussion even though it is too early for that. I will
    present a summary of all submissions in January 2022 and moderate a
    debate then.

I'm sorry but while you have the right to try this, coming from someone
    that is not our DPL, it seems very awkward to try to centralize privately
    our best ideas.

We already have https://salsa.debian.org/debian/grow-your-ideas to try to gather ideas and build momentum (with the +1 buttons).

Cheers,
    --
    ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
    ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁
    ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋ The Debian Handbook: https://debian-handbook.info/get/
    ⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀ Debian Long Term Support: https://deb.li/LTS

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Agata Erminia Pennisi@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 28 14:20:02 2021
    In my opinion, Debian promotion needs to improve above all. I found out
    about Debian after being hacked. But I wish I had known of its existence sooner. Of course, since there is no company behind Debian, all efforts are appreciated. In my opinion, the efforts of the mastering and rendering
    program teams should be publicized more, in order to attract a younger and larger audience, not necessarily computer savvy.

<div dir="auto">In my opinion, Debian promotion needs to improve above all. I found out about Debian after being hacked. But I wish I had known of its existence sooner. Of course, since there is no company behind Debian, all efforts are appreciated. In
    my opinion, the efforts of the mastering and rendering program teams should be publicized more, in order to attract a younger and larger audience, not necessarily computer savvy.</div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rhkramer@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 28 17:20:01 2021
    On Sunday, November 28, 2021 08:02:47 AM Agata Erminia Pennisi wrote:
    In my opinion, Debian promotion needs to improve above all. I found out
    about Debian after being hacked.

Had you been using LInux when you were hacked? I'm trying to gauge your thoughts -- were you impressed (right word) with Debian compared to other
    Linux distributions, or compared to Windows?

In either case, what is the distribution that you are comparing to -- the name (and version) of the other Linux version, or the version of Windows. (or Mac??)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Agata Erminia Pennisi@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 28 18:10:04 2021
    I was using Mac OS High Sierra (I was not using Linux). The first distro I
    used is Debian 8. At the moment I use several operating systems, especially
    in the mobile sector (Android and iOS). More than anything else than Debian
    or Linux I appreciate the modular system (which is an advantage and a
    defect). While other operating systems allow users to quickly install all software components, Debian or Linux are not that straightforward. An
    example is the installation of the proprietary Nvidia driver in older Intel-based MacBook Pros. It was necessary to isolate the integrated
    graphics card of the processor through grub and then enable the proprietary driver through x11. Nothing complicated, but before I got used to this new world I lost a few days (looking for unofficial documentation and
    tutorials). This allows you to get to know the operating system better and
    it forces the user to deepen the study of the operating system components (through manuals and courses). Then, if the topic is liked, the user will
    be encouraged to inquire by reading offensive security and social
    engineering documentation to try to defend himself in some way. And now I
    am here, one of the many Debian users. Nothing more, nothing less.
    About Linux software I also appreciate that it is free and I not having to
    buy the licenses of the programs that then actually use free software libraries.

Il dom 28 nov 2021, 17:12 <rhkramer@gmail.com> ha scritto:

On Sunday, November 28, 2021 08:02:47 AM Agata Erminia Pennisi wrote:
    In my opinion, Debian promotion needs to improve above all. I found out about Debian after being hacked.

Had you been using LInux when you were hacked? I'm trying to gauge your thoughts -- were you impressed (right word) with Debian compared to other Linux distributions, or compared to Windows?

In either case, what is the distribution that you are comparing to -- the name
    (and version) of the other Linux version, or the version of Windows. (or Mac??)

<div dir="auto"><div><div dir="auto">I was using Mac OS High Sierra (I was not using Linux). The first distro I used is Debian 8. At the moment I use several operating systems, especially in the mobile sector (Android and iOS). More than anything else
    than Debian or Linux I appreciate the modular system (which is an advantage and a defect). While other operating systems allow users to quickly install all software components, Debian or Linux are not that straightforward. An example is the installation
    of the proprietary Nvidia driver in older Intel-based MacBook Pros. It was necessary to isolate the integrated graphics card of the processor through grub and then enable the proprietary driver through x11. Nothing complicated, but before I got used to
    this new world I lost a few days (looking for unofficial documentation and tutorials). This allows you to get to know the operating system better and it forces the user to deepen the study of the operating system components (through manuals and courses).
    Then, if the topic is liked, the user will be encouraged to inquire by reading offensive security and social engineering documentation to try to defend himself in some way. And now I am here, one of the many Debian users. Nothing more, nothing less.</div>
    <div dir="auto">About Linux software I also appreciate that it is free and I not having to buy the licenses of the programs that then actually use free software libraries.</div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">Il dom 28 nov
    2021, 17:12 &lt;<a href="mailto:rhkramer@gmail.com" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">rhkramer@gmail.com</a>&gt; ha scritto:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">On Sunday,
    November 28, 2021 08:02:47 AM Agata Erminia Pennisi wrote:<br>
    &gt; In my opinion, Debian promotion needs to improve above all. I found out<br>
    &gt; about Debian after being hacked. <br>

Had you been using LInux when you were hacked?  I&#39;m trying to gauge your <br>
    thoughts -- were you impressed (right word) with Debian compared to other <br> Linux distributions, or compared to Windows?<br>

In either case, what is the distribution that you are comparing to -- the name <br>
    (and version) of the other Linux version, or the version of Windows.  (or <br> Mac??)<br>

</blockquote></div></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05