• collaboration with Gitlab (was: Debian and GitLab Open Source Partn

From =?UTF-8?Q?Louis-Philippe_V=c3=a9ron@21:1/5 to Laura Arjona Reina on Tue Jul 27 00:40:01 2021
    This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 4880 and 3156) --LNZQzjqGEOxNoBjXOzbYLysNBEZ1C2Vth
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
    Content-Language: en-US
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On 2021-07-26 17 h 55, Laura Arjona Reina wrote:
    Hi

El 26/7/21 a las 23:04, Louis-Philippe Véronneau escribió:
    On 2021-07-26 01 h 50, Alexander Wirt wrote:

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 07:59:26PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
    On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 06:19:37PM +0200, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote: >>>>> Donald Norwood <donald@debian.org> writes:

Dear all,

Debian and GitLab have been in discussion regarding an Open Source >>>>>> Partnership toward which we will jointly produce mutual promotions, >>>>>> shared stories, and announcements using both organizations press and/or >>>>>> publicity channels.

Out of the blue, without any more context and content,

???

"Debian" and "Gitlab" are speaking with each other
    since the very start of "Salsa".

I am not sure to be happy with this news.

To me is the news that "press" and "marketing" are more involved.
    Because I assume good faith, I allow meself to focus on other stuff
    in (Debian) life.

To me, such a partnership is something quite stronger than sponsorship >>>>> and I'd be a bit ill-at-ease with it being done without the whole Debian >>>>> Members being consulted.

Yes, a DD is allowed to represent the project.

Last but not least, what kind of data would be shared regarding how we >>>>> use gitlab in Debian?

Please give the (humble) Salsa admins time to elaborate.
    I have no insight information about "the data",
    but imagine (dull??) statistics on accounts, active accounts, projects, >>>> active projects.
    I do trust my fellow Debian Developers to deal wisely with it.
    For (gory??) details I recomment to join the Salsa admin team.

To be honest - and to my suprise - we weren't involved in this
    discussions. We don't share any personal data and we won't do that.
    We share rough numbers (numbers of projects, users,
    groups, storage used), but we also do that regulary in talks (at least
    when there were real conferences).

Alex - Salsa Admim
    I was under the assumption the Salsa Team would somehow benefit from
    this partnership in some way (technical help, extra resources, etc.),
    but I guess it's not the case. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm not sure I understand what Debian has to gain from this "Partnership". >>
    More media exposure? I don't think we really need it: the Publicity Team
    was already doing a great job.

More money? Gitlab is a silver sponsor for DebConf21, but so are ARM,
    Ubuntu, HRT, Two Sigma and Globo.

I think we have a misunderstanding here. It's not a partnership between Debian and Gitlab, at least not from my point of view (and I'm member of the Debian partners team).
    They sponsor DebConf21 at Silver level and Debian is listed as "Open Source Partner" in GitLab Commit 2021 (their conference). From this "partnership" (we used their word, probably we shouldn't have done it), we're publishing a micronews, and we're
    offered a virtual booth at their conference, that will happen if people works on it, as usual.

Apart from that, but related, GitLab contacted the DPL to see if we can share some "publicity" work; they are interested in publishing an article about how Debian uses Gitlab. We'll try to learn a bit more about their specific plans, our focus is to
    write it together so the Debian needs and perspective are on it (how we use their free software flavour, mention things that could help us as community, etc.). The idea is to gather the info already published (on mailing list, talks) about Salsa and
    Salsa CI and contact these teams to get their views and requests, if any, to transmit them to GitLab (wether they appear in the article or not). This work has not started yet.

That's all. There is no formal partnership (Gitlab is not listed in www.debian.org/partners). The partners@ alias is CC'ed in the conversations to have the record of how the story started, for the case a partnership would be on the table in the future (
    we would need a longer collaboration record, also including other kind of support from their side at least).

Kind regards,

Thanks for the clarification, this makes much more sense to me now.

--
    ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
    ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Louis-Philippe Véronneau
    ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋ pollo@debian.org / veronneau.org
    ⠈⠳⣄

--LNZQzjqGEOxNoBjXOzbYLysNBEZ1C2Vth--

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iHUEARYKAB0WIQTKp0AHB6gWsCAvw830JXpQshz6hQUCYP82yQAKCRD0JXpQshz6 hXAlAQD1deMATifgFD4I/F9j6GOm1TpZEIxiTtSNqUdD6maC5AD/VSN3+/HiM4Kp 6NH+vgenWVG1c3HzFLOXKEfDfncVQAQ=
    =Ur4p
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 27 14:10:01 2021
    Hi Laura,

Em 26/07/2021 18:55, Laura Arjona Reina escreveu:

Apart from that, but related, GitLab contacted the DPL to see if we can share some "publicity" work; they are interested in publishing an article about how Debian uses Gitlab. We'll try to learn a bit more about their specific plans, our focus is to
    write it together so the Debian needs and perspective are on it (how we use their free software flavour, mention things that could help us as community, etc.). The idea is to gather the info already published (on mailing list, talks) about Salsa and
    Salsa CI and contact these teams to get their views and requests, if any, to transmit them to GitLab (wether they appear in the article or not). This work has not started yet.

For future discussion with Gitlab staff, I would like to suggest
    partners team ask a discount for Gitlab certifications for DDs.

Best regards,

--
    Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana (phls)
    Curitiba - Brasil
    Debian Developer
    Diretor do Instituto para Conservação de Tecnologias Livres
    Site: http://phls.com.br
    GNU/Linux user: 228719 GPG ID: 0443C450

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)