• Lack of replies

From Steven Robbins@21:1/5 to Antonio Russo on Fri Dec 29 14:18:41 2023
    Copy: debian-project@lists.debian.org

Antonio Russo wrote:

As someone who would like to participate more in the development of Debian, my personal experience is that making contributions is like dropping a message in a bottle into the sea. It feels like a complete crap-shot
    whether I'll even receive a comment on any code contribution (including debian-devel RFS, salsa MR, or BTS patch).

For salsa and BTS, one reason for lack of reply can be that the maintainer is never notified. I get surprised sometimes that salsa has merge requests waiting for me. I suspect that either the email notification is broken or off by default and I never saw instructions to enable it.

In the case of the BTS: it used to email me but that broke a couple years ago and apparently it is hard to fix. So currently a class of us don't get email from any bug reports.

My suggestion, therefore, is: if the patch is important to you, do also CC directly the maintainer address.

-Steve

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCAAdFiEEy89k8fa3rclNjyokyeVeL63I9LkFAmWPKaEACgkQyeVeL63I 9Lk3Xw//R3Hr0KeeYySnps9v49i0F0qN1z8ibSu7eF64CeFsZOTEPk6wComY3iBl VIvxzGgb5GBWpi/+kgPTCcx+XohJh0BNkPwWEFXk/imbCrRUjiVznGzOuwjzChBy bfXpRfFP2OdY4tNiD+cwWVGmd7GR3VS9UvM4qNgb7EuWFgVPUdAczfM8l6v6vqIg qGRNJPb2eb8p6ZFdCiDVGfpgA/9KF6RavSfA3AToi3nAP41pyitwHslB9AD6eKuv RCgf+DHrlBPlfgUA1u5+H8SWHLejVXXjep6FG1QakL8sWqQXKxJ3kBCB9vJZ2n3v cLdow1ytN+30kmsA3kEklztzmEBJ/B/V6dFu3r53sJXBYTvdBJdfXe3BMYQADgnB nSogWAMQdMaQG9n2IMQ1HoBM3SVoVmSYiP/oPKR4vgIdN7Xl7RIbICjTo9qLsBKO cQht7GIQ8boB3goNIO+M9wu04KOiui6k84xJd0xbHi7SOCpjJeRDSwDgIa4FLy+0 x0Sf+RGq3CAZ31OSKiYTYsyZG6YEVBzi7ZopndmfEVHnS2iQulUKqB54epvKBDSu SUqApNEe7mi+lr2DQ/SDqSAraBRMBm9sJ5QLejY6i7oiA3zfaGLJK5hw3FZEb2ZR 4YannXxXW8M0HDUHdE1EyOp9sWKjtBewtlkT0CFcQUQ5PHXusxI=
    =1Sau
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andrey Rakhmatullin@21:1/5 to Steven Robbins on Sat Dec 30 11:00:01 2023
    On Fri, Dec 29, 2023 at 02:18:41PM -0600, Steven Robbins wrote:
    Antonio Russo wrote:

As someone who would like to participate more in the development of Debian, my personal experience is that making contributions is like dropping a message in a bottle into the sea. It feels like a complete crap-shot whether I'll even receive a comment on any code contribution (including debian-devel RFS, salsa MR, or BTS patch).

For salsa and BTS, one reason for lack of reply can be that the maintainer is never notified. I get surprised sometimes that salsa has merge requests waiting for me. I suspect that either the email notification is broken or off
    by default and I never saw instructions to enable it.
    It is off by default unless that was changed recently-ish.

In the case of the BTS: it used to email me but that broke a couple years ago and apparently it is hard to fix. So currently a class of us don't get email from any bug reports.
    What is that class?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Robbins@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 2 12:04:18 2024
    On Friday, December 29, 2023 2:18:41 P.M. CST Steven Robbins wrote:

In the case of the BTS: it used to email me but that broke a couple years
    ago and apparently it is hard to fix. So currently a class of us don't get email from any bug reports.

Andrey Rakhmatullin asked "what is that class?".

It's unclear to me. From the last discussion [1], it seems like it should be everyone. Maybe it is everyone whose mail infrastructure looks at DMARC [2]?

I think Sébastien Noel's 2021 note to the bug report is germane to this discussion:

"""
    Same observation here:
    DMARC aggregate reports notifies me that emails sends to the BTS
    are not delivered to the final recipient.

I should not be surprised anymore if bugreports are left un-answered, maintainers are simply not getting notification...

Since the last comment of this bug, 4 months have passed and no
    reaction.
    I suspect that nobody recieved the last email, and my guts tell me
    that i'm writing to /dev/null rigth now :(

Without a working BTS, i'm wondering :
    Is the project still interested by users' feedback ?
    """

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2022/09/msg00273.html
    [2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=754809

iQIzBAABCAAdFiEEy89k8fa3rclNjyokyeVeL63I9LkFAmWUUCIACgkQyeVeL63I 9LkdEQ//Wmf6uHmTy6sYeDgSitDEcAsSMp2NGZGx4OeIZiGeS3oiPGD1kUVz3s5P KjiJX+b9lzcPlMGlmfJZe0mY0kg7bA79fFAooO1xNlg+eu6DPs7sXsw8Exf9ni6o neUW40O+hxkuRygby7Nz6s4Fg7ZKOKyloHqE7yE6lbQ6jMKGzctdsg6CKxHHqHJv 3lhX1Sy4n/7K3OOGs3OUIiATuB6whErbhCDcvxN2szBpl1z0kavTahChjAdPtdxA jIBD0mME0oBNULBaIoxw9ncPj83gX8k3FvXd6NVcZXatduvDqzFvMKjojGj6uV8b MhHY3YC1j1m3YUWmuVs0g6UGshgJbxWux+dT3dJ2/Ey4WrcfhYcQAUEXseN+GOq1 5HNW5x7eG7xofZ7rTzDSx8a3Cmx6CDWmUmkg8Er8L/Esg1FKcvt8mYMpNL/6waia 9Y1Zzjx/Top/gt2Us7KElSkQpljys9Kr3OV9vtznNXWO+LpkDCckC5ilWkJbscfD Fyjf52AVK2GEn3hQXzXhE4wMYQCVDkBzPtulnhIVMSnohFk5l0PCBAmw7KGEOKdm 4DPSqzEIK9A7O/5s/xb9X/6poSRRfh34EhCK8X1xW9let3T4HmctSu7w/PHMWiE9 oZTkdThCWnViHn6BrHUUX0uNjn3lGolDqh32dlt2kT+OIuHSRMU=
    =q3WT

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Kitterman@21:1/5 to Steven Robbins on Tue Jan 2 20:30:02 2024
    On January 2, 2024 6:04:18 PM UTC, Steven Robbins <steve@sumost.ca> wrote:
    On Friday, December 29, 2023 2:18:41 P.M. CST Steven Robbins wrote:

In the case of the BTS: it used to email me but that broke a couple years
    ago and apparently it is hard to fix. So currently a class of us don't get >> email from any bug reports.

It's unclear to me. From the last discussion [1], it seems like it should be >everyone. Maybe it is everyone whose mail infrastructure looks at DMARC [2]?

I think SĂ©bastien Noel's 2021 note to the bug report is germane to this >discussion:

"""
    Same observation here:

I should not be surprised anymore if bugreports are left un-answered, >maintainers are simply not getting notification...

reaction.

"""

Alternatively, BTS users that are interested in others getting their emails might be better off posting from a domain that doesn't have a DMARC policy that's designed to be used for domains that send only transactional email (i.e. no human users). It's
    working fine for me.

Scott K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sam Hartman@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 3 04:10:01 2024
    "Scott" == Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:

Scott> Alternatively, BTS users that are interested in others
    Scott> getting their emails might be better off posting from a
    Scott> domain that doesn't have a DMARC policy that's designed to be
    Scott> used for domains that send only transactional email (i.e. no
    Scott> human users). It's working fine for me.

Would including a warning about the domain you are sending from be more tractable as an improvement than SRS-style header rewriting?
    (This directed more at people who know the BTS code).

At least people could be warned that because of the domain they send
    from their mail might not get through.

--Sam

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Neuffer@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 3 06:10:01 2024
    ------IHBAULPCH4B8YNY22LZFV6663GBA38
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

By far most users in all likelihood do not know that something like even DMARC exists.

Do not discount them just because you know and can act accordingly.

Cheers
    Mike

Am 2. Januar 2024 20:10:27 MEZ schrieb Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com>:

On January 2, 2024 6:04:18 PM UTC, Steven Robbins <steve@sumost.ca> wrote: >>On Friday, December 29, 2023 2:18:41 P.M. CST Steven Robbins wrote:

In the case of the BTS: it used to email me but that broke a couple years >>> ago and apparently it is hard to fix. So currently a class of us don't get >>> email from any bug reports.

It's unclear to me. From the last discussion [1], it seems like it should be
    everyone. Maybe it is everyone whose mail infrastructure looks at DMARC [2]? >>
    I think SĂ©bastien Noel's 2021 note to the bug report is germane to this >>discussion:

"""
    Same observation here:

I should not be surprised anymore if bugreports are left un-answered, >>maintainers are simply not getting notification...

reaction.

"""

Alternatively, BTS users that are interested in others getting their emails might be better off posting from a domain that doesn't have a DMARC policy that's designed to be used for domains that send only transactional email (i.e. no human users). It's
    working fine for me.

Scott K

------IHBAULPCH4B8YNY22LZFV6663GBA38
    Content-Type: text/html;
    charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body><div dir="auto">By far most users in all likelihood do not know that something like even DMARC exists.<br><br>Do not discount them just because you know and can act accordingly.<br><br>Cheers<br>    Mike<br></div><br><br><div
    class="gmail_quote"><div dir="auto">Am 2. Januar 2024 20:10:27 MEZ schrieb Scott Kitterman &lt;debian@kitterman.com&gt;:</div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
    <pre class="k9mail"><div dir="auto"><br><br>On January 2, 2024 6:04:18 PM UTC, Steven Robbins &lt;steve@sumost.ca&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin: 0pt 0pt 1ex 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid #729fcf; padding-left: 1ex;"><
    div dir="auto">On Friday, December 29, 2023 2:18:41 P.M. CST Steven Robbins wrote:<br><br><br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin: 0pt 0pt 1ex 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid #ad7fa8; padding-left: 1ex;"><div dir="auto">In the case of the
    BTS: it used to email me but that broke a couple years<br>ago and apparently it is hard to fix. So currently a class of us don't get<br>email from any bug reports.<br></div></blockquote><div dir="auto"><br>Andrey Rakhmatullin asked "what is that class?".
    <br><br>It's unclear to me. From the last discussion [1], it seems like it should be <br>everyone. Maybe it is everyone whose mail infrastructure looks at DMARC [2]?<br><br>I think SĂ©bastien Noel's 2021 note to the bug report is germane to this <br>
    discussion:<br><br>"""<br>Same observation here:<br>DMARC aggregate reports notifies me that emails sends to the BTS<br>are not delivered to the final recipient.<br><br>I should not be surprised anymore if bugreports are left un-answered,<br>maintainers
    are simply not getting notification...<br><br>Since the last comment of this bug, 4 months have passed and no <br>reaction.<br>I suspect that nobody recieved the last email, and my guts tell me<br>that i'm writing to /dev/null rigth now :(<br><br>Without
    a working BTS, i'm wondering :<br>Is the project still interested by users' feedback ?<br>"""<br><br><br>[1] <a href="https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2022/09/msg00273.html">https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2022/09/msg00273.html</a><br>[2] <a
    href="https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=754809">https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=754809</a><br><br></div></blockquote><div dir="auto"><br>Alternatively, BTS users that are interested in others getting their emails might
    be better off posting from a domain that doesn't have a DMARC policy that's designed to be used for domains that send only transactional email (i.e. no human users). It's working fine for me.<br><br>Scott K<br><br></div></pre></blockquote></div></body></
    html>
    ------IHBAULPCH4B8YNY22LZFV6663GBA38--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Kitterman@21:1/5 to Michael Neuffer on Wed Jan 3 18:10:01 2024
    I agree. I do, however, think it's at least as reasonable to assign blame for DMARC breaking all sorts of traditional email usage on users that use domains with restrictive DMARC policies as it is to blame the BTS.

If someone wants to change the Debian BTS to be more DMARC friendly, then they should probably work with the BTS maintainers to implement it. Inferring that the lack of progress is indicative of not wanting feedback is nonsense.

In the meantime, users who want to successfully interact with the BTS have options (use a different email provider). BTS works fine with non-broken email systems.

Scott K

On January 3, 2024 4:31:58 AM UTC, Michael Neuffer <neuffer@neuffer.com> wrote: >By far most users in all likelihood do not know that something like even DMARC exists.

Do not discount them just because you know and can act accordingly.

Cheers
    Mike

Am 2. Januar 2024 20:10:27 MEZ schrieb Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com>: >>

On January 2, 2024 6:04:18 PM UTC, Steven Robbins <steve@sumost.ca> wrote: >>>On Friday, December 29, 2023 2:18:41 P.M. CST Steven Robbins wrote:

In the case of the BTS: it used to email me but that broke a couple years >>>> ago and apparently it is hard to fix. So currently a class of us don't get
    email from any bug reports.

It's unclear to me. From the last discussion [1], it seems like it should be
    everyone. Maybe it is everyone whose mail infrastructure looks at DMARC [2]?

I think SĂ©bastien Noel's 2021 note to the bug report is germane to this >>>discussion:

"""
    Same observation here:

I should not be surprised anymore if bugreports are left un-answered, >>>maintainers are simply not getting notification...

Since the last comment of this bug, 4 months have passed and no >>>reaction.

"""

Alternatively, BTS users that are interested in others getting their emails might be better off posting from a domain that doesn't have a DMARC policy that's designed to be used for domains that send only transactional email (i.e. no human users). It'
    s working fine for me.

Scott K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Kitterman@21:1/5 to Sam Hartman on Wed Jan 3 18:20:01 2024
    On January 3, 2024 2:55:35 AM UTC, Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> wrote: >>>>>> "Scott" == Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:

Scott> Alternatively, BTS users that are interested in others
    Scott> getting their emails might be better off posting from a
    Scott> domain that doesn't have a DMARC policy that's designed to be
    Scott> used for domains that send only transactional email (i.e. no
    Scott> human users). It's working fine for me.

Would including a warning about the domain you are sending from be more >tractable as an improvement than SRS-style header rewriting?
    (This directed more at people who know the BTS code).

My guess is that such a warning email (which is the only way we'd have to do it) would also cause a lot of complaints. Ultimately, I think we (for some value of we that doesn't include me doing the work) will need to have the BTS send all emails from
    bugs.debian.org role addresses and not use the sender's email in From anymore.

Scott K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Colin Watson@21:1/5 to Scott Kitterman on Wed Jan 3 19:40:01 2024
    On Wed, Jan 03, 2024 at 05:10:43PM +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:
    My guess is that such a warning email (which is the only way we'd have
    to do it) would also cause a lot of complaints. Ultimately, I think
    we (for some value of we that doesn't include me doing the work) will
    need to have the BTS send all emails from bugs.debian.org role
    addresses and not use the sender's email in From anymore.

Yeah, this is what we ended up doing in Launchpad for similar reasons in
    2020: mail from bug #NNNNNNN resulting from an action by a user whose
    display name is "Some User" is sent with "From: Some User <NNNNNNN@bugs.launchpad.net>". The switch was a bit nerve-wracking, but
    it largely seems to be working OK there and I think is basically the
    only way to make things work reliably in the modern email environment.

That said, debbugs has much higher expectations of everything being done through email than Launchpad does, so it'd need some care to make sure
    that e.g. From/Reply-To are exactly right in all cases, and it's quite
    likely that people would be somewhat discombobulated by the change. It
    would make it harder to take a BTS conversation to private email, for
    instance (but perhaps that's a good thing since new users often end up
    doing this by accident?), and we'd have to think about how it interacted
    with things like X-Debbugs-Cc to mailing lists.

[Disclaimer: I no longer work on Launchpad, and although I should still
    have permissions to work on debbugs it's been a long time since I
    actually did so. Maybe later this year ...]

--
    Colin Watson (he/him) [cjwatson@debian.org]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Daniel =?utf-8?Q?Gr=C3=B6ber?=@21:1/5 to Scott Kitterman on Thu Jan 4 16:00:01 2024
    Hi Scott,

My guess is that such a warning email (which is the only way we'd have to
    do it) would also cause a lot of complaints.

I think we [...] will need to have the BTS send all emails from bugs.debian.org role addresses and not use the sender's email in From anymore.

Just to make sure I understand the constraints: we can determine at sending time whether a particular domain is going to cause trouble or not, right?
    If so could this rewrite scheme be applied only for recipients where it's absolutely necessary?

That way DDs, who are likeley to care more about their BTS email workflow
    than the average user, don't have to deal with the negative consequences of
    the address rewriting if they're already behind a polite mailserver.

Further if this discrimination is possible I wonder if it might not also be possible to accomodate the subset of BTS users who are behind broken mail providers but use sensible mail clients (mutt and such).

Specifically I think when you embedd an message/rfc822 part mutt allows me
    to autoview the message inline, see the (pretty set) of headers, and reply
    to this message instead of the "envelope".

So when BTS sees a broken domain it could generate the usual message with address rewriting applied, but also attach in an multipart/alternative the untouched version for this set of users to use.

Not sure that all works out, just a crazy idea,
    --Daniel

iQIzBAABCAAdFiEEV6G/FbT2+ZuJ7bKf05SBrh55rPcFAmWWxp0ACgkQ05SBrh55 rPegcA//UNJKwvKzPDt6I44wG1DytYBnlOYeoH3sLpqdB77T3qWE1NnWPZCmANL+ NYVlHCFG/FT2yoeSAz6CZsphMOC0d4mp1QQGuekihHh4YVFcYuNCghovNeHLGE6f kM7EiLIT68Yg0iQzA2P3Zk0xPfjiyhmVt4eLE7EtQNMHN+Ngz8GFAfuSd8E4SnwW /sXnqf8+cVzf4iVSDdnZLbr5GbCJn2s0rfXA1mglvtJ76PUQ9zivMOpwLD9PayK5 WCnJWjMxP70uF1kQhqhGg7PrtVag89oVjdjDmp589YqJ4K1mEDbh9MtSc/V06wI8 xhdpGm9JafVshA0KNAl61Eo3pROWFJxjVwh9/U85ay2kLkVkteR6RA5DgrqA7JNp BGPTZDXI6Nb3IjL+gedVwgQHs2BaZ5fHNyO82RLbq27OhgIiCqpRoOyZLX++VCN1 tjBeeo1zJ9/8xC82p/yoI2BaIX0CkhKYkD2jj3S4+5jnff0f45Ie+4VNXfPFz4Ie 7Y9LkKjHMYohzaZfmc5b4/zEIK7jpt46UWrPM8S4TuRnf4eXyC0gaBJXu3YM4hKF sALZ16TXcUNSqPTXb5hXlHDfarx+qaAtlVrXRdRzHqkiTs9YC9wdmtbhj/ADRZpd Nb1J7GOi6iaNtC0S6Ct3NTq80hGSSN6Ok45s9lNdDX2EzRODlWE=
    =DUAH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeremy Stanley@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 4 16:20:01 2024
    On 2024-01-04 15:54:28 +0100 (+0100), Daniel Gröber wrote:
    [...]
    Just to make sure I understand the constraints: we can determine
    at sending time whether a particular domain is going to cause
    trouble or not, right? If so could this rewrite scheme be applied
    only for recipients where it's absolutely necessary?
    [...]

Unfortunately no. It *used* to be a popular assumption that you
    could look at the published DKIM/DMARC policies for a given address
    and determine whether you can safely put them in the From header,
    but that changed recently when Gmail decided to treat messages from
    its own users more strictly than the policy it publishes for them in
    DNS. And since Gmail does custom domain hosting too, you can't
    simply limit the workaround to treating their well-known domain
    specially. Given its popularity (near ubiquity) as a freemail
    provider these days, telling users they'll have to get an address
    somewhere else to interact with the BTS is unlikely to end well
    either.
    --
    Jeremy Stanley

iQKTBAABCgB9FiEEl65Jb8At7J/DU7LnSPmWEUNJWCkFAmWWyrhfFIAAAAAALgAo aXNzdWVyLWZwckBub3RhdGlvbnMub3BlbnBncC5maWZ0aGhvcnNlbWFuLm5ldDk3 QUU0OTZGQzAyREVDOUZDMzUzQjJFNzQ4Rjk5NjExNDM0OTU4MjkACgkQSPmWEUNJ WCke1w//YfepYrC9ZpqI27ZRzqgwlLqy5RfIXEN2v8ALtwP3iAP8fMIuWSaLQV3Y H4jm01nDURKTNQwvFi0jNS/OqVT2ShhFBFlX05ZNUIQ1PSjbY2FlDvNVm6MYiwNt CDkvJOCVO9T+qxg6ZD2pTkmC5uEKJR1GHl57Rmzm8q6cXptlcJ8j9S0EFadHkxLl 0ZO93V11Lc6MkvfcHEBfjIdZV9Vf5olbq6dJrqMWhTxMSKfQxYf6Bsw1yaqjgq2p uE+o6dQqcVbgtENKjYTVshCYeu2Hx1xjBNIRe0XCbCRWe0Ra5v76rRx6kwaqC0Cf 93oWLG056km3AuUswrrS1PeePtcSSXaFeq/MYgr0dlS81k4kOhcSMmxaxgGLAC3D wXOrqcyOboTkM5pTsT6iVb66d02IHr8W1Mes2XIRPpE8Kzsf1WJJ8ZIHjPGGOC7d 0dOYMoGL6yqJ0kjjRcFPtnSlThe+ruuF2wyxbCBAihDR+xWl/aBsWzBLKxitlwhh su1Mw9MpXMWJogh/D35Oo5j1T4vSemYi8SW2ru8zdj2uwQb7sUMjKHTp+JjWRXFl cmsOqlan76Jkmn4nCuRNXuGcWcaOY3vnJ9Q6XW60scSXJlJZiyo8Wj+MlTEArmeP HAji7B/s2I5Q7HCwhk3vkqwM+IW25h/V39wGOUHa1nQ4mu5O1/Q=
    =gVGX

--- SoupGate-Win32
  • From Scott Kitterman@21:1/5 to dxld@darkboxed.org on Thu Jan 4 16:20:01 2024
    On January 4, 2024 2:54:28 PM UTC, "Daniel Gröber" <dxld@darkboxed.org> wrote: >Hi Scott,

My guess is that such a warning email (which is the only way we'd have to
    do it) would also cause a lot of complaints.

I think we [...] will need to have the BTS send all emails from
    bugs.debian.org role addresses and not use the sender's email in From
    anymore.

Just to make sure I understand the constraints: we can determine at sending >time whether a particular domain is going to cause trouble or not, right?
    If so could this rewrite scheme be applied only for recipients where it's >absolutely necessary?

That way DDs, who are likeley to care more about their BTS email workflow >than the average user, don't have to deal with the negative consequences of >the address rewriting if they're already behind a polite mailserver.

Further if this discrimination is possible I wonder if it might not also be >possible to accomodate the subset of BTS users who are behind broken mail >providers but use sensible mail clients (mutt and such).

Specifically I think when you embedd an message/rfc822 part mutt allows me
    to autoview the message inline, see the (pretty set) of headers, and reply
    to this message instead of the "envelope".

So when BTS sees a broken domain it could generate the usual message with >address rewriting applied, but also attach in an multipart/alternative the >untouched version for this set of users to use.

Not sure that all works out, just a crazy idea,
    --Daniel

That's consistent with things I've seen proposed and implemented for mitigation of DMARC issues with mailing lists. I don't know if the multipart solution has ever been implemented. From/Mail From definitely have been.

If I were designing it, I would lean heavily on Colin Watson's experience with DMARC mitigation in Launchpad. I've done some consulting work in this area, but I have never implemented it.

Scott K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Colin Watson@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 4 16:30:01 2024
    On Thu, Jan 04, 2024 at 03:54:28PM +0100, Daniel Gröber wrote:

My guess is that such a warning email (which is the only way we'd have to do it) would also cause a lot of complaints.

I think we [...] will need to have the BTS send all emails from bugs.debian.org role addresses and not use the sender's email in From anymore.

Just to make sure I understand the constraints: we can determine at sending time whether a particular domain is going to cause trouble or not, right?
    If so could this rewrite scheme be applied only for recipients where it's absolutely necessary?

I haven't looked into this in a lot of detail, but my concern would be
    that that would end up being flaky and confusing in practice. I think
    people want the behaviour of the BTS to be easily predictable without
    having to get an advanced degree in MTA debugging first.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Kitterman@21:1/5 to Colin Watson on Thu Jan 4 17:00:01 2024
    On January 4, 2024 3:15:29 PM UTC, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote: >On Thu, Jan 04, 2024 at 03:54:28PM +0100, Daniel Gröber wrote:

My guess is that such a warning email (which is the only way we'd have to >> > do it) would also cause a lot of complaints.

I think we [...] will need to have the BTS send all emails from
    bugs.debian.org role addresses and not use the sender's email in From
    anymore.

Just to make sure I understand the constraints: we can determine at sending >> time whether a particular domain is going to cause trouble or not, right?
    If so could this rewrite scheme be applied only for recipients where it's
    absolutely necessary?

I haven't looked into this in a lot of detail, but my concern would be
    that that would end up being flaky and confusing in practice. I think
    people want the behaviour of the BTS to be easily predictable without
    having to get an advanced degree in MTA debugging first.

I agree that inconsistent behavior is concerning. IETF mailing lists selectively rewrite From based on domain DMARC and it seems to be mostly okay. It may be that the typical IETF participant knows more about email than the typical BTS user.

Personally, I worry more about the added complexity and maintainability. It's timely that this
    Niklaus Wirth quote from 2008: A Brief History of Software Engineering by Niklaus Wirth showed up in my Mastodon feed yesterday:

“A primary effort must be education toward a sense of quality. Programmers must become engaged crusaders against home-made complexity. The cancerous growth of complexity is not a thing to be admired; it must be fought wherever possible.”

I think it's definitely possible to avoid this complexity, so we probably should.

Scott K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Daniel =?utf-8?Q?Gr=C3=B6ber?=@21:1/5 to Jeremy Stanley on Thu Jan 4 17:00:01 2024
    Hi Jeremy,

On Thu, Jan 04, 2024 at 03:11:59PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
    On 2024-01-04 15:54:28 +0100 (+0100), Daniel Gröber wrote:
    could this rewrite scheme be applied only for recipients where it's absolutely necessary?

Unfortunately no. It *used* to be a popular assumption that you could
    look at the published DKIM/DMARC policies [...] but [...] Gmail decided
    to treat messages from its own users more strictly than the policy it publishes for them in DNS. And since Gmail does custom domain hosting
    too, you can't simply limit the workaround to treating their well-known domain specially. Given its popularity (near ubiquity) as a freemail
    provider these days,

Any good reason we cannot look at the MX domain (or in the worst case) ASN associated with mailserver IP to special case particularly offensive implementations such as this if looking at the DMARC policy works in the average case?

telling users they'll have to get an address somewhere else to interact
    with the BTS is unlikely to end well either.

That's certainly not something I'd advocate for. I want us to minimize the
    PITA for the technically literate without sacrifising general usability.

--Daniel

iQIzBAABCAAdFiEEV6G/FbT2+ZuJ7bKf05SBrh55rPcFAmWW1FcACgkQ05SBrh55 rPdOChAAlXX1e91eXmgTUgnGOSIfv/Z5GWEMLJRHMmbqTiTWoDRaMY7zAHQFXSvC GtiYzw8pkjfXekD9orihgtW01pg0+YbMlH247KeLfFxO6HlbA94pLNUWWq6nTxVL PL9YSl6m6y47CG2nI1RfvZsFyRcbs4cBpIctkTcsHZFpA3rdhROnZykZp9b45yTu Ir3vUFxG7EWpbWXjCO2PuteRO1uW+u+0nH6h59bQ6KQqL/FIeP7SHxuRdTrkNefG gkAAGsolqo3nl4+BdYNAj9VKv/C4PHutBzDX6lFNhTAQeoUhMFO/n1b/PC5V9IXN K+Sh0nZ34FBsQs8OHo0CX2resN06jLzQBXtOhuVvBmd3TLdbJ4jFbbLKl5rkE3pf aqAlL+fhAVM2qJUyCOQQ3Feh6T7ohNhYZSkudErE99MUJNIi3K3nIvoUaQFXpTD1 DbznSn9HosQgdifYd4IDBMLVtCtPgGV7LkcB6VvGW5vVW2flC/sK3RFFP8UONMje miKCwk70LzjH1WxKHe15/CmQwyPbmuzNJ6WSHBiKlzF8NYVGuNdocExfLqFkBZWt XKC083rT3khkcrPeBQSnCbGh+JOPC2bLyN4jQBdrO8d5jxga+Uptc/2m2iOK41E2 4rmt1lkHaZQoS5Jl2g8DRkleZt4azFGCtFxpaPsC0HvqFiLfabw=
    =6zka

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Colin Watson@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 4 18:10:01 2024
    On Thu, Jan 04, 2024 at 04:52:58PM +0100, Daniel Gröber wrote:
    That's certainly not something I'd advocate for. I want us to minimize the PITA for the technically literate without sacrifising general usability.

To be honest, I think that address rewriting might actually be part of improving usability of the BTS - but it would have to be done carefully
    and with an eye to various other features that have evolved as
    workarounds for the current situation. It may be that some other
    changes need to happen first.

The original design had a collection of addresses for each bug, all of
    which were filed in the system itself, and some of which are also sent
    on to others. As seen on https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer:

* nnn@bugs.debian.org — such messages are also sent to the package
    maintainer and forwarded to debian-bugs-dist, but not to the
    submitter;
    * nnn-submitter@bugs.debian.org — these are also sent to the submitter
    and forwarded to debian-bugs-dist, but not to the package maintainer;
    * nnn-maintonly@bugs.debian.org — these are only sent to the package
    maintainer, not to the submitter or debian-bugs-dist;
    * nnn-quiet@bugs.debian.org — these are only filed in the bug tracking
    system (as are all the above), not sent to anyone else.

This has been a mostly functional but slightly problematic design for as
    long as I've been involved with Debian. The classic problem is that
    people email a followup to a bug to nnn@bugs and (without much thinking
    about it) expect it to be seen by everyone who's interested in that bug.
    But in fact this doesn't automatically go to the submitter, nor
    necessarily to anyone else who's been involved in the discussion on the
    bug.

In practice, if you're receiving the bug discussion by email, then you
    can reply-all and it'll usually be more or less OK - but if the email
    thread is at all non-linear then people may well end up being left out
    by accident, people can easily forget to reply-all rather than just
    reply, and it's not exactly obvious how to participate in this way if
    you weren't already CCed. ("bts --mbox show nnn" exists and is OK for
    experts, but it's not exactly obvious and probably only works with some
    MUAs.)

At some point debbugs gained a "subscribe" feature: you can email nnn-subscribe@bugs to subscribe to a bug, or nnn-unsubscribe@bugs to unsubscribe, with a confirmation message in each case. So far so good,
    though clunky. But submitters aren't auto-subscribed, and you can't
    really tell who's subscribed so you have no way to know in advance if
    your message is going to reach the right people. (The implementation is
    also kind of weird: IIRC it's done via lists.debian.org, so even the BTS
    itself doesn't really know who's going to get the message.) As a
    result, while this helped with certain use cases, it didn't really solve
    the problem above.

What I always thought would be a better model would be for each bug to
    be a "nosy list" (the term comes from roundup, I think). That is, bugs
    would have a list of addresses notified of changes, by default filing a
    bug or sending a message to it would cause you to be added to the list,
    and subscribing to or unsubscribing from any given bug would be easy.

Now, such a change would certainly require some people to adjust a bit,
    and it would be easier if the BTS had an optional authenticated web
    interface to allow you to (un)subscribe more easily. I'm not saying it
    would be straightforward. But if things worked this way, then I think rewriting addresses to nnn@bugs would ultimately be less controversial -
    it would be the most convenient default, as the address that's most
    likely to reach everyone you probably want it to reach.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeremy Stanley@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 4 17:30:02 2024
    On 2024-01-04 16:52:58 +0100 (+0100), Daniel Gröber wrote:
    [...]
    Any good reason we cannot look at the MX domain (or in the worst case) ASN associated with mailserver IP to special case particularly offensive implementations such as this if looking at the DMARC policy works in the average case?
    [...]

Unfortunately not. An example I know of is Red Hat's corporate
    E-mail, they use a third-party filter (Mimecast) as their MX which
    then forwards to their custom domain on Gmail.

As a mailing list admin in some popular open source communities,
    I've become all too familiar with these challenges. It doesn't help
    that the situation changes month-to-month, so what you decide today
    may suddenly stop working any moment and you're back to square one.

The cynic in me says that the mass freemail providers slipped these
    policy frameworks in as a sort of Trojan Horse, promising to fix
    "the spam problem" when their real goal was poisoning the well we're
    all drinking from and then setting themselves up as the only safe
    supply of drinking water. They're all too happy to propose standards
    when they want other operators to do something, but then willfully
    ignore those same standards whenever it suits their purposes.
    --
    Jeremy Stanley

iQKTBAABCgB9FiEEl65Jb8At7J/DU7LnSPmWEUNJWCkFAmWW23lfFIAAAAAALgAo aXNzdWVyLWZwckBub3RhdGlvbnMub3BlbnBncC5maWZ0aGhvcnNlbWFuLm5ldDk3 QUU0OTZGQzAyREVDOUZDMzUzQjJFNzQ4Rjk5NjExNDM0OTU4MjkACgkQSPmWEUNJ WCltEA/7BMYK9FR0VcEizT4lpYiCiTLfXUNWZPYvY23uD7ynjIE7EYckhnBAIy6B Vp2JgYi714nfV8IP+d7a7d8aLXVbMrsfimplpk7pK59i+OWZIgt8Wf+xeuCGwerd fAhwqJg0Nj32OlL2/vraEPOnW3V9znRrzAP3/4e7QuJzhS/teUQoSJoWGfmLlbbT kk48DGvmivRGQGvUeAKUWRAxKwNVNYXiT9g25UlmVQ458gaFGt2vUEkWDcyfPe+3 qxSNcyWSJVed0sQGnHcPydq0VgeQsZccIOxxKsku2NY1lmNi0iVbVrFTsQIUeoMe zSPFL1oArs9UMHCF60zJXkw92vd/ngfb+C/yB8ioFYrL7XNGBEA1dDD4lMcbz1pu /x0dwi1tsEWkNRavus5VNXj9VddxPx3ppB1jyfMYJ1eGuUE+xHYPGuYiNZ1kL9Lr I+aTV7KIk0I5IPPZ+wuKcIc1m2+cuWkhZhW3pR3rOXSVBgoc9FwCAHODvEF54r5m md93PJFOyMg3kUIM9gesH/eRAGIuJSg31hL/pmeJIFfbBe90Sj2T9pJf8I19auZS W/7GWU8Gwdg/V0GpJ6QInjfKRn0StDqgGURz0i0iIU3uflGI6R/ea47ncwB7wBo4 u9J9wZg36a7lTCrMEvFm+xvjlmaqiJV6NzrOFqD9alA505nxbcs=
    =DWMe

--- SoupGate-Win32