• no suitable kernel to install for mips64el?

From YunQiang Su@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 20 07:50:01 2019
    Jun Sun <jsun@junsun.net> 于2019年5月20日周一 下午1:24写道:

I'm following instructions below to build mips64el qemu image.

https://blahcat.github.io/2017/07/14/building-a-debian-stretch-qemu-image-for-mipsel/

However, I failed to do so for various version with different reasons:

First off, I can't find Debian9.2 which was what the author used anymore (any pointers?)
    For current Debian9.9, I got an error at the end of installing base system, saying "there is no suitable kernel to install". Otherwise installation is fine. However, since there was no kernel installed, I can't find a suitable initrd to boot the image.
    I also tried other versions, such as buster, an old 2017 stretch, sid. They all fail pretty early on due to "No kernel module found" error. See full error message below.

Ohh, I guess it is a bug of Debian installer, which cannot detect the
    qemu host type.
    Generally, you need to install 5kc-malta kernel flavor for mips64el,
    and 4kc-malta for mipsel.

Does anybody have a clue here? I'm especially worried about the failing in the latest buster release.

I guess the bug is still existing for buster.

BTW, in Debian8.11, there are no mips release at all, it seems. Are we dropping MIPS somehow?

There are only LTS support for jessie now, and mips* is not in the LTS
    arch list.

Cheers.

Jun

--
    YunQiang Su

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jun Sun@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 20 07:30:02 2019

https://blahcat.github.io/2017/07/14/building-a-debian-stretch-qemu-image-for-mipsel/

- First off, I can't find Debian9.2 which was what the author used
    anymore (any pointers?)
    - For current Debian9.9, I got an error at the end of installing base
    system, saying "there is no suitable kernel to install". Otherwise
    installation is fine. However, since there was no kernel installed, I can't
    find a suitable initrd to boot the image.
    - I also tried other versions, such as buster, an old 2017 stretch,
    sid. They all fail pretty early on due to "No kernel module found" error.
    See full error message below.

Does anybody have a clue here? I'm especially worried about the failing in
    the latest buster release.

BTW, in Debian8.11, there are no mips release at all, it seems. Are we dropping MIPS somehow?

Cheers.

Jun

<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr">I&#39;m following instructions below to build  mips64el qemu image.<div><br></div><div><a href="https://blahcat.github.io/2017/07/14/building-a-debian-stretch-qemu-image-for-mipsel/">https://blahcat.github.io/2017/07/14/
    building-a-debian-stretch-qemu-image-for-mipsel/</a><br></div><div><br></div><div>However, I failed to do so for various version with different reasons:</div><div><ul><li>First off, I can&#39;t find Debian9.2 which was what the author used anymore (any
    pointers?)</li><li>For current Debian9.9, I got an error at the end of installing base system, saying &quot;there is no suitable kernel to install&quot;.  Otherwise installation is fine. However, since there was no kernel installed, I can&#39;t find a
    suitable initrd to boot the image.</li><li>I also tried other versions, such as buster, an old 2017 stretch, sid.  They all fail pretty early on due to &quot;No kernel module found&quot; error.  See full error message below.</li></ul><div>Does anybody
    have a clue here?  I&#39;m especially worried about the failing in the latest buster release.</div></div><div><br></div><div>BTW, in Debian8.11, there are no mips release at all, it seems.  Are we dropping MIPS somehow?</div><div><br></div><div>Cheers.<
    /div><div><br></div><div>Jun</div></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jun Sun@21:1/5 to wzssyqa@gmail.com on Mon May 20 08:30:01 2019
    Thanks for quick reply, Yunqiang.

For the installer bug, should we file a bug somewhere? Any pointer how we might be able to fix it? Note the initramfs seems to find kernel module
    just fine.

Also, any pointer to the Debian9.9 no suitable kernel to install bug?

Thanks!

Jun

On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 10:43 PM YunQiang Su <wzssyqa@gmail.com> wrote:

Jun Sun <jsun@junsun.net> 于2019年5月20日周一 下午1:24写道:

First off, I can't find Debian9.2 which was what the author used anymore
    (any pointers?)
    For current Debian9.9, I got an error at the end of installing base
    system, saying "there is no suitable kernel to install". Otherwise installation is fine. However, since there was no kernel installed, I can't find a suitable initrd to boot the image.
    I also tried other versions, such as buster, an old 2017 stretch, sid.
    They all fail pretty early on due to "No kernel module found" error. See full error message below.

Ohh, I guess it is a bug of Debian installer, which cannot detect the
    qemu host type.
    Generally, you need to install 5kc-malta kernel flavor for mips64el,
    and 4kc-malta for mipsel.

Does anybody have a clue here? I'm especially worried about the failing
    in the latest buster release.

I guess the bug is still existing for buster.

BTW, in Debian8.11, there are no mips release at all, it seems. Are we
    dropping MIPS somehow?

There are only LTS support for jessie now, and mips* is not in the LTS
    arch list.

Cheers.

Jun

--
    YunQiang Su

<div dir="ltr">Thanks for quick reply, Yunqiang.<div><br></div><div>For the installer bug, should we file a bug somewhere?  Any pointer how we might be able to fix it?  Note the initramfs seems to find kernel module just fine.</div><div><br></div><div>
    Also, any pointer to the Debian9.9 no suitable kernel to install bug?</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks!</div><div><br></div><div>Jun</div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 10:43 PM YunQiang Su &lt;
    <a href="mailto:wzssyqa@gmail.com">wzssyqa@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Jun Sun &lt;<a href="mailto:jsun@junsun.net" target="_
    blank">jsun@junsun.net</a>&gt; 于2019年5月20日周一 下午1:24写道:<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt; I&#39;m following instructions below to build  mips64el qemu image.<br> &gt;<br>
    &gt; <a href="https://blahcat.github.io/2017/07/14/building-a-debian-stretch-qemu-image-for-mipsel/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://blahcat.github.io/2017/07/14/building-a-debian-stretch-qemu-image-for-mipsel/</a><br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt; However, I failed to do so for various version with different reasons:<br> &gt;<br>
    &gt; First off, I can&#39;t find Debian9.2 which was what the author used anymore (any pointers?)<br>
    &gt; For current Debian9.9, I got an error at the end of installing base system, saying &quot;there is no suitable kernel to install&quot;.  Otherwise installation is fine. However, since there was no kernel installed, I can&#39;t find a suitable initrd
    to boot the image.<br>
    &gt; I also tried other versions, such as buster, an old 2017 stretch, sid.  They all fail pretty early on due to &quot;No kernel module found&quot; error.  See full error message below.<br>
    &gt;<br>

Ohh, I guess it is a bug of Debian installer, which cannot detect the<br>
    qemu host type.<br>
    Generally, you need to install 5kc-malta kernel flavor for mips64el,<br>
    and 4kc-malta for mipsel.<br>

&gt; Does anybody have a clue here?  I&#39;m especially worried about the failing in the latest buster release.<br>
    &gt;<br>

I guess the bug is still existing for buster.<br>

&gt; BTW, in Debian8.11, there are no mips release at all, it seems.  Are we dropping MIPS somehow?<br>
    &gt;<br>

There are only LTS support for jessie now, and mips* is not in the LTS<br>
    arch list.<br>

&gt; Cheers.<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt; Jun<br>

-- <br>
    YunQiang Su<br>
    </blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05