• Request for Review / Upload libintl-perl

From Ken Ibbotson@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 27 11:10:03 2020
    Not being a DD, I require a current DD to review my work and either:
    - upload the package for me; or
    - provide feedback on the package

Package: libintl-perl
    Origin: remote.origin.url=git@salsa.debian.org: perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl.git

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    --
    Ken Ibbotson
    E: keni@computer.org

*"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."*
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

<div dir="ltr"><div>Not being a DD, I require a current DD to review my work and either:</div><div>- upload the package for me; or</div><div>- provide feedback on the package</div><div><br></div><div>Package: libintl-perl</div><div>Origin: remote.origin.
    url=git@salsa.debian.org:perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl.git<br></div><div><br></div><div>Thanks in advance.</div><div><br></div><div>Regards<br></div><div><div><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"
    <div><div>--<br>Ken Ibbotson</div>E: <a href="mailto:keni@computer.org" target="_blank">keni@computer.org</a><br><div><br></div><div><i>&quot;Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.&quot;</i></div>    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
    <br></div></div></div></div></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From gregor herrmann@21:1/5 to Ken Ibbotson on Fri Nov 27 21:20:01 2020
    On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 20:31:07 +1030, Ken Ibbotson wrote:

Origin: remote.origin.url=git@salsa.debian.org: perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl.git

I don't have the time for a real review right now (and I want to play
    a bit more with the question if and how we can get the old versions
    into git, where something is missing on snapshots), but: The repo
    looks incomplete, there's only a master branch, no pristine-tar or
    upstream branches, and also no upstream tag.

If you have them locally please push them; if not we'll think about
    ways about restarting :)

Cheers,
    gregor

--
    .''`. https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
    : :' : OpenPGP fingerprint D1E1 316E 93A7 60A8 104D 85FA BB3A 6801 8649 AA06
    `. `' Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
    `- NP: Beatles: Fool On The Hill

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQKTBAEBCgB9FiEE0eExbpOnYKgQTYX6uzpoAYZJqgYFAl/BXexfFIAAAAAALgAo aXNzdWVyLWZwckBub3RhdGlvbnMub3BlbnBncC5maWZ0aGhvcnNlbWFuLm5ldEQx RTEzMTZFOTNBNzYwQTgxMDREODVGQUJCM0E2ODAxODY0OUFBMDYACgkQuzpoAYZJ qgbbFhAAjs5AUyBWZEslCejf+KhZgQ8GuZOTwG660SGNy71XrSPLtVyf+0wBNqbs M+xFL3OlRPhdAkYj2U36QFpZUb3OxW+KD67prKldAf3mhmWZx/L9+ke0+wI3qR0X bjeWXRup4fXAjBnfKQC7vVF2HIOAJXWI+1sW3XfmIsLc8p+SbET1qeYD27thjBLk aCAyQuCOuh1zGGRzau0LdOMbIwBM3FUCaJsdX6aWzfTy2WZfbA0yHs4YVUT07/uD 6AI1FEZ+c4739U1L6Pt9M8AO8EK9HeTs6YjTBdc6pHhUns+HJRUnAon7I+v7lzzk bJ7iuqy/7+LAMATJuxpII/KZjEApCkXq/wOt2LHmV+33hlkk8J/NbYfwWxJEIZBG F/jnoWZSz9Zgnj3CqxCVen2RJ3048o2E4kNEjqKCO070V5pn/96u7jvNh2MQqQAC fiCzsNCCHh9ohPoyjPD9YZb3RuErWS6j+y2srq1jLWCEw02uVGlsbXVVEJpgXCYR mSU6x7Jn0yzaLANfP9i+yuhLo9Fxb608g/xqg0/T4sXUEs8CkTW6Df68ZOpJwrr5 UTmglRgfYnHqQPECJSaJIbDA3ht5hninL5bb3v72tQh84uWXtQ2Cyc49FBFjsOQB 7tLAFXaG1+bH44ZVFfUXWxKromeQWJBtgSMWdlm1437DxYPFTyQ=
    =xr7V
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ken Ibbotson@21:1/5 to gregor herrmann on Sat Jan 2 05:30:01 2021
    Apologies for the length of the email.

I have started processing the `libintl-perl` changes manually using:
    gbp import-dsc --verbose ../source-libintl-perl/libintl-perl_1.20-1.dsc
    Note `~/.gbp.conf` has the default options set for `pristine-tar` etc.

Everything has gone as planned in your previous email, until we get to the point of break at the above version.

I noted with interest - based on How to unpack a Debian source package <http://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/source-unpack.txt>, that prior to 1.20-1 (above) has format 1.0, whereas from 1.20-1 onwards the format is 3.0
    (quilt).

Following the process yields a project folder for 1.20.
    Time to follow the `gbp import-dsc` process to see what is happening.

Step 1 - what do we have in the temporary folder after unpacking?
    I updated my local version of `/lib/python3/dist-packages/gbp/scripts/import_dsc.py` to stop the `tmp`
    folder being removed on failure.
    Ran the import, yielding the same result:
    gbp import-dsc --verbose ../source-libintl-perl/libintl-perl_1.20-1.dsc gbp:debug: ['git', 'rev-parse', '--show-cdup']
    gbp:debug: ['git', 'rev-parse', '--is-bare-repository']
    gbp:debug: ['git', 'rev-parse', '--git-dir']
    gbp:debug: ['git', 'for-each-ref', '--format=%(refname:short)',
    'refs/heads/']
    gbp:debug: ['git', 'status', '--porcelain']
    gbp:debug: Upstream version: 1.20
    gbp:debug: Debian version: 1
    gbp:debug: Upstream tarball: /home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/source-libintl-perl/libintl-perl_1.20.orig.tar.gz
    gbp:debug: Debian patch: /home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/source-libintl-perl/libintl-perl_1.20-1.debian.tar.gz
    gbp:debug: tar ['--exclude=.gitignore', '--exclude=debian/*', '--exclude=.git/*', '--exclude=.git', '-C', '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/tmp95ak6wa1', '-a', '-xf', '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/source-libintl-perl/libintl-perl_1.20.orig.tar.gz']
    []
    gbp:debug: ['git', 'tag', '-l', 'debian/1.20-1']
    gbp:debug: ['git', 'tag', '-l', 'debian/1.20-1']
    gbp:debug: ['git', 'tag', '-l', 'upstream/1.20']
    gbp:debug: ['git', 'rev-parse', '--quiet', '--verify', 'upstream/1.20^0'] gbp:debug: ['git', 'tag', '-l', 'upstream/1.20']
    gbp:debug: ['git', 'rev-parse', '--quiet', '--verify', 'upstream/1.20^0'] gbp:debug: ['git', 'show-ref', '--verify', 'refs/heads/master']
    gbp:debug: tar ['--exclude=.gitignore', '--exclude=debian/*', '--exclude=.git/*', '--exclude=.git', '-C', '.', '-a', '-xf', '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/source-libintl-perl/libintl-perl_1.20-1.debian.tar.gz']
    []
    gbp:debug: ['git', 'rev-parse', '--quiet', '--verify', 'c4f8aaef153903f678dd29928f4550b19f3aca8c^{commit}']
    gbp:debug: ['git', 'branch', '--contains', 'c4f8aaef153903f678dd29928f4550b19f3aca8c']
    gbp:debug: Tag 'c4f8aaef153903f678dd29928f4550b19f3aca8c' not yet merged
    into 'master'
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/gbp", line 149, in <module>
    sys.exit(supercommand())
    File "/usr/bin/gbp", line 145, in supercommand
    return module.main(args)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gbp/scripts/import_dsc.py", line
    529, in main
    apply_debian_patch(repo, sources[0], dsc, commit, options)
    175, in apply_debian_patch
    author = get_author_from_changelog(source.unpacked)
    115, in get_author_from_changelog
    dch = ChangeLog(filename=os.path.join(dir, 'debian/changelog'))
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gbp/deb/changelog.py", line 84, in __init__
    raise NoChangeLogError("Changelog %s not found" % (filename, )) gbp.deb.changelog.NoChangeLogError: Changelog /home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/tmp95ak6wa1/libintl-perl-1.20/debian/changelog not found
    The `debian` folder exists but it is empty.
    Manually unpacking the `libintl-perl_1.20-1.debian.tar.gz` shows that the
    files are present.
    Which seems to imply that the unpack under python, though never yielded an exception.

Step 2 - trace the unpack process.
    One line in the above output yields that we are telling `tar` to ignore the `debian/*` content:
    gbp:debug: tar ['--exclude=.gitignore', '--exclude=debian/*', '--exclude=.git/*', '--exclude=.git', '-C', '.', '-a', '-xf', '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/source-libintl-perl/libintl-perl_1.20-1.debian.tar.gz']
    []

Found it!
    Curses!
    Blindly following examples on web pages, and have shot myself in the foot.
    The Git guide git - Debian Perl Group Packaging and Git Guide <https://perl-team.pages.debian.net/git.html> under `Tips and Tricks` has
    an entry Prevent surprises in the upstream tarball <https://perl-team.pages.debian.net/git.html#Prevent_surprises_in_the_upstream_tarball>
    which includes the following inclusion for the `gbp.conf` file:

[import-dsc]
    filter = [ '.gitignore', 'debian/*', '.git/*', '.git' ]

After removing the `debian/*` entry from the above line in the `gbp.conf`,
    all individual versions complete normally.

Is there any reason why the web page entry should not be updated to prevent further people experiencing the same issue?

Step 3 - Execute takeover for the whole to make sure it woks.
    Running the takeover did not complete successfully:
    dpt takeover libintl-perl -a 945988 -n

The local repository was created okay, but for some reason the `-n` was
    ignored and a push to salsa occurred.
    Oh, it is only the pristine tar being pushed based on `gbp.conf`, which explains the error for held changes.

Try this again without the `-n` option.
    dpt takeover libintl-perl -a 945988
    *** Taking over libintl-perl
    gbp:info: Downloading snapshots of 'libintl-perl' to '/tmp/tmpfv07857w'... gbp:info: No git repository found, creating one.
    gbp:info: Version '1.11-1' imported under '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl'
    gbp:info: Version '1.11-2' imported under '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl'
    gbp:info: Version '1.16-1' imported under '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl'
    gbp:info: Version '1.16-2' imported under '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl'
    gbp:info: Version '1.16-3' imported under '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl'
    gbp:info: Version '1.16-4' imported under '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl'
    gbp:info: Version '1.20-1' imported under '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl'
    gbp:info: Version '1.23-1' imported under '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl'
    gbp:info: Version '1.23-1+deb8u1' imported under '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl'
    gbp:info: Version '1.24-1' imported under '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl'
    gbp:info: Version '1.26-1' imported under '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl'
    gbp:info: Version '1.26-2' imported under '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl'
    gbp:info: Version '1.26-2.1' imported under '/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl'
    gbp:info: Everything imported under /home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl
    Pushing to git@salsa.debian.org:perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl.git
    To salsa.debian.org:perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl.git
    ! [rejected] master -> master (fetch first)
    ! [rejected] pristine-tar -> pristine-tar (fetch first)
    ! [rejected] upstream -> upstream (fetch first)
    error: failed to push some refs to 'git@salsa.debian.org: perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl.git'
    hint: Updates were rejected because the remote contains work that you do
    hint: not have locally. This is usually caused by another repository pushing hint: to the same ref. You may want to first integrate the remote changes
    hint: (e.g., 'git pull ...') before pushing again.
    hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.
    push --all --verbose --set-upstream origin: command returned error: 1
    Oh, still have previous attempt up on salsa at: https://salsa.debian.org/perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl
    I do not have access to remove the project, but not sure if that is the
    right way to go either.

I do know that the process is now working, and only failing on the upload
    to salsa.
    Can we delete the existing upstream salsa version?

--
    Ken Ibbotson
    E: keni@computer.org

*"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."*
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 at 06:43, gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> wrote:

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 20:31:07 +1030, Ken Ibbotson wrote:

I don't have the time for a real review right now (and I want to play
    a bit more with the question if and how we can get the old versions
    into git, where something is missing on snapshots), but: The repo
    looks incomplete, there's only a master branch, no pristine-tar or
    upstream branches, and also no upstream tag.

If you have them locally please push them; if not we'll think about
    ways about restarting :)

Cheers,
    gregor

--
    `- NP: Beatles: Fool On The Hill

<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr">Apologies for the length of the email.<div><br></div><div>I have started processing the `libintl-perl` changes manually using:</div><div style="margin-left:40px"><span style="font-family:monospace">gbp import-dsc --verbose ..
    /source-libintl-perl/libintl-perl_1.20-1.dsc</span></div><div>Note `~/.gbp.conf` has the default options set for `pristine-tar` etc.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Everything has gone as planned in your previous email, until we get to the point of break at
    the above version.</div><div><br></div><div>I noted with interest - based on <a href="http://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/source-unpack.txt" target="_blank">How to unpack a Debian source package</a>, that prior to 1.20-1 (above) has format 1.0, whereas from
    1.20-1 onwards the format is 3.0 (quilt).</div><br><div>Following the process yields  a project folder for 1.20.</div><div>Time to follow the `gbp import-dsc` process to see what is happening.</div><div><br></div><div>Step 1 - what do we have in the
    temporary folder after unpacking?</div><div>I updated my local version of `/lib/python3/dist-packages/gbp/scripts/import_dsc.py` to stop the `tmp` folder being removed on failure.</div><div>Ran the import, yielding the same result:</div><div style="
    margin-left:40px"><span style="font-family:monospace">gbp import-dsc --verbose ../source-libintl-perl/libintl-perl_1.20-1.dsc<br>gbp:debug: [&#39;git&#39;, &#39;rev-parse&#39;, &#39;--show-cdup&#39;]<br>gbp:debug: [&#39;git&#39;, &#39;rev-parse&#39;, &#
    39;--is-bare-repository&#39;]<br>gbp:debug: [&#39;git&#39;, &#39;rev-parse&#39;, &#39;--git-dir&#39;]<br>gbp:debug: [&#39;git&#39;, &#39;for-each-ref&#39;, &#39;--format=%(refname:short)&#39;, &#39;refs/heads/&#39;]<br>gbp:debug: [&#39;git&#39;, &#39;
    status&#39;, &#39;--porcelain&#39;]<br>gbp:debug: Upstream version: 1.20<br>gbp:debug: Debian version: 1<br>gbp:debug: Upstream tarball: /home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/source-libintl-perl/libintl-perl_1.20.orig.tar.gz<br>gbp:debug: Debian patch: /home/
    keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/source-libintl-perl/libintl-perl_1.20-1.debian.tar.gz<br>gbp:debug: tar [&#39;--exclude=.gitignore&#39;, &#39;--exclude=debian/*&#39;, &#39;--exclude=.git/*&#39;, &#39;--exclude=.git&#39;, &#39;-C&#39;, &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-
    perl/packages/tmp95ak6wa1&#39;, &#39;-a&#39;, &#39;-xf&#39;, &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/source-libintl-perl/libintl-perl_1.20.orig.tar.gz&#39;] []<br>gbp:debug: [&#39;git&#39;, &#39;tag&#39;, &#39;-l&#39;, &#39;debian/1.20-1&#39;]<br>gbp:debug:
    [&#39;git&#39;, &#39;tag&#39;, &#39;-l&#39;, &#39;debian/1.20-1&#39;]<br>gbp:debug: [&#39;git&#39;, &#39;tag&#39;, &#39;-l&#39;, &#39;upstream/1.20&#39;]<br>gbp:debug: [&#39;git&#39;, &#39;rev-parse&#39;, &#39;--quiet&#39;, &#39;--verify&#39;, &#39;
    upstream/1.20^0&#39;]<br>gbp:debug: [&#39;git&#39;, &#39;tag&#39;, &#39;-l&#39;, &#39;upstream/1.20&#39;]<br>gbp:debug: [&#39;git&#39;, &#39;rev-parse&#39;, &#39;--quiet&#39;, &#39;--verify&#39;, &#39;upstream/1.20^0&#39;]<br>gbp:debug: [&#39;git&#39;, &#
    39;show-ref&#39;, &#39;--verify&#39;, &#39;refs/heads/master&#39;]<br>gbp:debug: tar [&#39;--exclude=.gitignore&#39;, &#39;--exclude=debian/*&#39;, &#39;--exclude=.git/*&#39;, &#39;--exclude=.git&#39;, &#39;-C&#39;, &#39;.&#39;, &#39;-a&#39;, &#39;-xf&#
    39;, &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/source-libintl-perl/libintl-perl_1.20-1.debian.tar.gz&#39;] []<br>gbp:debug: [&#39;git&#39;, &#39;rev-parse&#39;, &#39;--quiet&#39;, &#39;--verify&#39;, &#39;c4f8aaef153903f678dd29928f4550b19f3aca8c^{commit}&#39;
    ]<br>gbp:debug: [&#39;git&#39;, &#39;branch&#39;, &#39;--contains&#39;, &#39;c4f8aaef153903f678dd29928f4550b19f3aca8c&#39;]<br>gbp:debug: Tag &#39;c4f8aaef153903f678dd29928f4550b19f3aca8c&#39; not yet merged into &#39;master&#39;<br>Traceback (most
    recent call last):<br>  File &quot;/usr/bin/gbp&quot;, line 149, in &lt;module&gt;<br>    sys.exit(supercommand())<br>  File &quot;/usr/bin/gbp&quot;, line 145, in supercommand<br>    return module.main(args)<br>  File &quot;/usr/lib/python3/dist-
    packages/gbp/scripts/import_dsc.py&quot;, line 529, in main<br>    apply_debian_patch(repo, sources[0], dsc, commit, options)<br>  File &quot;/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gbp/scripts/import_dsc.py&quot;, line 175, in apply_debian_patch<br>   
    author = get_author_from_changelog(source.unpacked)<br>  File &quot;/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gbp/scripts/import_dsc.py&quot;, line 115, in get_author_from_changelog<br>    dch = ChangeLog(filename=os.path.join(dir, &#39;debian/changelog&#39;))<
      File &quot;/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gbp/deb/changelog.py&quot;, line 84, in __init__<br>    raise NoChangeLogError(&quot;Changelog %s not found&quot; % (filename, ))<br>gbp.deb.changelog.NoChangeLogError: Changelog /home/keni/src/pkg-perl/
    packages/tmp95ak6wa1/libintl-perl-1.20/debian/changelog not found</span></div><div>The `debian` folder exists but it is empty.</div><div>Manually unpacking the `libintl-perl_1.20-1.debian.tar.gz` shows that the files are present.</div><div>Which seems to
    imply that the unpack under python, though never yielded an exception.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Step 2 - trace the unpack process.</div>One line in the above output yields that we are telling `tar` to ignore the `debian/*` content:</div><
    div dir="ltr"><div style="margin-left:40px"><span style="font-family:monospace">gbp:debug: tar [&#39;--exclude=.gitignore&#39;, &#39;--exclude=debian/*&#39;, &#39;--exclude=.git/*&#39;, &#39;--exclude=.git&#39;, &#39;-C&#39;, &#39;.&#39;, &#39;-a&#39;, &#
    39;-xf&#39;, &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/source-libintl-perl/libintl-perl_1.20-1.debian.tar.gz&#39;] []</span><br></div></div><br><div>Found it!</div><div>Curses!</div><div>Blindly following examples on web pages, and have shot myself in the
    foot.</div><div>The Git guide <a href="https://perl-team.pages.debian.net/git.html" target="_blank">git - Debian Perl Group Packaging and Git Guide</a> under `Tips and Tricks` has an entry <a href="https://perl-team.pages.debian.net/git.html#Prevent_
    surprises_in_the_upstream_tarball" target="_blank">Prevent surprises in the upstream tarball</a> which includes the following inclusion for the `gbp.conf` file:<br></div><div dir="ltr"><div style="margin-left:40px"><pre>[import-dsc]
    filter = [ &#39;.gitignore&#39;, &#39;debian/*&#39;, &#39;.git/*&#39;, &#39;.git&#39; ]</pre></div><div>After removing the `debian/*` entry from the above line in the `gbp.conf`, all individual versions complete normally.<br></div><div><div><br></div><
    Is there any reason why the web page entry should not be updated to prevent further people experiencing the same issue?</div></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Step 3 - Execute takeover for the whole to make sure it woks.</div><div></div><div>
    Running the takeover did not complete successfully:</div><div style="margin-left:40px"><span style="font-family:monospace">dpt takeover libintl-perl -a 945988 -n</span></div><div><br></div><div>The local repository was created okay, but for some reason
    the `-n` was ignored and a push to salsa occurred.</div><div>Oh, it is only the pristine tar being pushed based on `gbp.conf`, which explains the error for held changes.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Try this again without the `-n` option.</div><div><div
    style="margin-left:40px"><span style="font-family:monospace">dpt takeover libintl-perl -a 945988<br>***<br>*** Taking over libintl-perl<br>***<br>gbp:info: Downloading snapshots of &#39;libintl-perl&#39; to &#39;/tmp/tmpfv07857w&#39;...<br>gbp:info: No
    git repository found, creating one.<br>gbp:info: Version &#39;1.11-1&#39; imported under &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl&#39;<br>gbp:info: Version &#39;1.11-2&#39; imported under &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl&#39;<
    gbp:info: Version &#39;1.16-1&#39; imported under &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl&#39;<br>gbp:info: Version &#39;1.16-2&#39; imported under &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl&#39;<br>gbp:info: Version &#39;1.16-3&#39;
    imported under &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl&#39;<br>gbp:info: Version &#39;1.16-4&#39; imported under &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl&#39;<br>gbp:info: Version &#39;1.20-1&#39; imported under &#39;/home/keni/src/
    pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl&#39;<br>gbp:info: Version &#39;1.23-1&#39; imported under &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl&#39;<br>gbp:info: Version &#39;1.23-1+deb8u1&#39; imported under &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-
    perl&#39;<br>gbp:info: Version &#39;1.24-1&#39; imported under &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl&#39;<br>gbp:info: Version &#39;1.26-1&#39; imported under &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl&#39;<br>gbp:info: Version &#39;
    1.26-2&#39; imported under &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl&#39;<br>gbp:info: Version &#39;1.26-2.1&#39; imported under &#39;/home/keni/src/pkg-perl/packages/libintl-perl&#39;<br>gbp:info: Everything imported under /home/keni/src/pkg-
    perl/packages/libintl-perl<br>Pushing to git@salsa.debian.org:perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl.git<br>To salsa.debian.org:perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl.git<br> ! [rejected]        master -&gt; master (fetch first)<br> ! [rejected] Â
           pristine-tar -&gt; pristine-tar (fetch first)<br> ! [rejected]        upstream -&gt; upstream (fetch first)<br>error: failed to push some refs to &#39;git@salsa.debian.org:perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl.git&#39;<br>hint: Updates
    were rejected because the remote contains work that you do<br>hint: not have locally. This is usually caused by another repository pushing<br>hint: to the same ref. You may want to first integrate the remote changes<br>hint: (e.g., &#39;git pull ...&#39;)
    before pushing again.<br>hint: See the &#39;Note about fast-forwards&#39; in &#39;git push --help&#39; for details.<br>push --all --verbose --set-upstream origin: command returned error: 1</span></div></div><div>Oh, still have previous attempt up on
    salsa at:</div><div style="margin-left:40px"><span style="font-family:monospace"><a href="https://salsa.debian.org/perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl">https://salsa.debian.org/perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl</a></span></div><div></div><div>I
    do not have access to remove the project, but not sure if that is the right way to go either.</div><div><br></div><div>I do know that the process is now working, and only failing on the upload to salsa.</div><div>Can we delete the existing upstream salsa
    version?<br></div><div><br></div><div><div><div dir="ltr" data-smartmail="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"><div><div>--<br>Ken Ibbotson</div>E: <a href="mailto:keni@computer.org" target="_blank">keni@computer.org</a><br><div><br></div><div><i>&quot;
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.&quot;</i></div>    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)<br></div></div></div></div><br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 at 06:43,
    gregor herrmann &lt;<a href="mailto:gregoa@debian.org" target="_blank">gregoa@debian.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On Fri, 27 Nov 2020
    20:31:07 +1030, Ken Ibbotson wrote:<br>

&gt; Package: libintl-perl<br>
    &gt; Origin: remote.origin.url=<a href="mailto:git@salsa.debian.org" target="_blank">git@salsa.debian.org</a>:<br>
    &gt; perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl.git<br>

I don&#39;t have the time for a real review right now (and I want to play<br>
    a bit more with the question if and how we can get the old versions<br>
    into git, where something is missing on snapshots), but: The repo<br>
    looks incomplete, there&#39;s only a master branch, no pristine-tar or<br> upstream branches, and also no upstream tag.<br>

If you have them locally please push them; if not we&#39;ll think about<br> ways about restarting :)<br>

Cheers,<br>
    gregor<br>

-- <br>
     .&#39;&#39;`.  <a href="https://info.comodo.priv.at" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://info.comodo.priv.at</a> -- Debian Developer <a href="https://www.debian.org" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://www.debian.org</a><br>
     : :&#39; : OpenPGP fingerprint D1E1 316E 93A7 60A8 104D  85FA BB3A 6801 8649 AA06<br>
     `. `&#39;  Member VIBE!AT &amp; SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe<br>
       `-   NP: Beatles: Fool On The Hill<br>
    </blockquote></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gregor herrmann@21:1/5 to Ken Ibbotson on Sat Jan 2 18:20:02 2021
    On Sat, 02 Jan 2021 14:53:04 +1030, Ken Ibbotson wrote:

Apologies for the length of the email.

No worries :)

Step 2 - trace the unpack process.
    One line in the above output yields that we are telling `tar` to ignore the `debian/*` content:
    []

Found it!
    Curses!

Ha!

Blindly following examples on web pages, and have shot myself in the foot. The Git guide git - Debian Perl Group Packaging and Git Guide <https://perl-team.pages.debian.net/git.html> under `Tips and Tricks` has
    an entry Prevent surprises in the upstream tarball <https://perl-team.pages.debian.net/git.html#Prevent_surprises_in_the_upstream_tarball>
    which includes the following inclusion for the `gbp.conf` file:

[import-dsc]
    filter = [ '.gitignore', 'debian/*', '.git/*', '.git' ]

After removing the `debian/*` entry from the above line in the `gbp.conf`, all individual versions complete normally.

Makes sense.

(BTW, I think these examples are meant for debian/gbp.conf in a
    package and not for the global ~/.gbp.conf.)

Is there any reason why the web page entry should not be updated to prevent further people experiencing the same issue?

This looks indeed like a copypaste mistake. It makes sense for
    [import-orig] but not for [import-dsc].

Feel free to fix it (the website source is in the perl-team/perl-team.pages.debian.net.git repo).

Step 3 - Execute takeover for the whole to make sure it woks.
    Running the takeover did not complete successfully:
    dpt takeover libintl-perl -a 945988 -n

The local repository was created okay, but for some reason the `-n` was ignored and a push to salsa occurred.

Ha, happened to me the other day as well :)
    dpt-takeover is not too intelligent and really wants options before
    arguments (i.e. package name(s)).

So the following works (I just tried it again, after removing my
    local clone of the existing repo):

dpt takeover -a 945988 -n libintl-perl

Pushing to git@salsa.debian.org:perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl.git To salsa.debian.org:perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl.git
    ! [rejected] master -> master (fetch first)
    ! [rejected] pristine-tar -> pristine-tar (fetch first)
    ! [rejected] upstream -> upstream (fetch first)

Right.

Oh, still have previous attempt up on salsa at: https://salsa.debian.org/perl-team/modules/packages/libintl-perl
    I do not have access to remove the project, but not sure if that is the
    right way to go either.

It's a bit disruptive (for all who might have pulled it already via
    mr(1) e.g.) but given the state of the current repo I think just blowing
    it away is the best option.

I do know that the process is now working, and only failing on the upload
    to salsa.
    Can we delete the existing upstream salsa version?

It's gone :)

Thanks for all your work and for sharing your findings!

Cheers,
    gregor

--
    `- NP: Aimee Mann: Driving Sideways

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQKTBAEBCgB9FiEE0eExbpOnYKgQTYX6uzpoAYZJqgYFAl/wqcFfFIAAAAAALgAo aXNzdWVyLWZwckBub3RhdGlvbnMub3BlbnBncC5maWZ0aGhvcnNlbWFuLm5ldEQx RTEzMTZFOTNBNzYwQTgxMDREODVGQUJCM0E2ODAxODY0OUFBMDYACgkQuzpoAYZJ qgaXzRAAtuPCeSeEdb5CwRLj4R7LJ8dRuq9DaBiVPh+9tVkQxarCEjeyDiMSk1fy 6C48qBNOPpSvDcGpapUSf64DKmZbuwOv6Dvjx5V/u/nbAoVlvlL3ixpyhGkcXNJO tDFsBP2x4PmRjdA45NEa3GyElK6lNPB7++O6lluPWf/4Wn7AoV3F0fEF16bkiAFb NvtPdNpj0iHcjZ9lYu05JEtVWJ3s9yfHq7FIKMZ9SWM/vTB25mEttLywxGF4F8+O 0wyvKx0FETj90VB/PznacVvsn6mE7qjjuR2V6lJr4aJBShJzIJpqjjZHRdyUGlii vxCy98Jz3o3ZuV9pK5y28P9xyP49k5X+uLmv+/TrDZIR6rD4oBMLS9PytBueoNBN RAXts2yaQzV/4VTMNsFtVj4VbVn0LmwoF12moYv0dQdg09HWrE+EUIfX4xELeOPF Dud3/+wzrFE2vFKSVCJld2nAMHZWO4Wta5TZnHPhooAcVnD5HJa7xEk4JejbaCJK 1b3JMQqN91cbMAclE5Cc14NZdcJEHOm5QwUFgFhJWzh3BjNPQW9uTPy7OLoWGKD8 98YCaq7pDoYmHBKmlSVt8C2TybhWzNY49gqebCT54C+MzXipD1B9HwqmJl3Z6Pn3 RTx34oQ8GoqU9prTlfrajDwyCSdAgIiIzHfAviWJjhBUI2pGb2Y=
    =XAPF
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05