• Packages in 'Request for Upload', DD and PGP

From Ken Ibbotson@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 24 05:40:01 2020
    Hi all,

I have been part of the group for a short time - still getting my head
    around some aspects.

However, two packages that I uploaded indicated that they are in some *Request for Upload* stream.

*libintl-perl* still shows Peter Eisentraut, and has upstream changes to address
    *libtest-fitesque-perl* is a new package and stops
    libtest-fitesque-rdf-perl

I did some searching on the Debian Perl Group pages, but have not found any details on how to get them uploaded.

How do I get these packages in the upload stream processed?

I guess this would not happen if I was a DD, so it would be appreciated if someone could also provide a link / explain what is needed to become a DD.

I have my PGP key, so also wondering whether all email should include same
    or just selected emails - if so what governs inclusion?
    I have updated Git local and origin, and starting to exchange keys to build
    Web of Trust.
    Would be happy to engage others to exchange keys.

Please advise

Regards
    --
    Ken Ibbotson
    E: keni@computer.org

*"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."*
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

<div dir="ltr"><div>Hi all,</div><div><br></div><div>I have been part of the group for a short time - still getting my head around some aspects.</div><div><br></div><div>However, two packages that I uploaded indicated that they are in some <b>Request for
    Upload</b> stream.</div><div><br></div><div style="margin-left:40px"><b>libintl-perl</b>  still shows Peter Eisentraut, and has upstream changes to address<br></div><div style="margin-left:40px"><b>libtest-fitesque-perl</b>  is a new package and stops
    libtest-fitesque-rdf-perl</div><div><br><div>I did some searching on the Debian Perl Group pages, but have not found any details on how to get them uploaded.</div><div><br></div><div>How do I get these packages in the upload stream processed?</div><div><
    </div><div><br></div><div>I guess this would not happen if I was a DD, so it would be appreciated if someone could also provide a link / explain what is needed to become a DD.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>I have my PGP key, so also
    wondering whether all email should include same or just selected emails - if so what governs inclusion?</div><div>I have updated Git local and origin, and starting to exchange keys to build Web of Trust.</div><div>Would be happy to engage others to
    exchange keys.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Please advise</div><div><br></div><div>Regards<br></div><div><div><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"><div><div>--<br>Ken Ibbotson</div>E: <a href="mailto:keni@
    computer.org" target="_blank">keni@computer.org</a><br><div><br></div><div><i>&quot;Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.&quot;</i></div>    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)<br></div></div></div></div></div></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dominique Dumont@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 24 18:10:01 2020
    Hi Ken

On Tuesday, 24 November 2020 05:37:11 CET Ken Ibbotson wrote:
    around some aspects.

No problem.

However, two packages that I uploaded indicated that they are in some *Request for Upload* stream.

*libintl-perl* still shows Peter Eisentraut, and has upstream changes to address
    *libtest-fitesque-perl* is a new package and stops
    libtest-fitesque-rdf-perl

I did some searching on the Debian Perl Group pages, but have not found any details on how to get them uploaded.

Basically, a DD from Debian Perl group should review your work and upload the package (or get back to you with improvement suggestions)

A mail like this one is the right way. Although the title of the mail should indicate that your requesting a review.

Also, you should provide links to let people download your work. A link to the git repo on salsa is enough.

I guess this would not happen if I was a DD, so it would be appreciated if someone could also provide a link / explain what is needed to become a DD.

please see https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDeveloper/JoinTheProject

In any case, you need to become familiar with the project and its practices before applying. Updating Perl packages is a good way to do it. I did start this way 10 years ago.

Err, I've not understood your question

I have updated Git local and origin, and starting to exchange keys to build Web of Trust.

See https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2020/09/msg00000.html

Hope this helps

Dod

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gregor herrmann@21:1/5 to Dominique Dumont on Fri Nov 27 20:50:02 2020
    On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 18:02:49 +0100, Dominique Dumont wrote:

A mail like this one is the right way. Although the title of the mail should indicate that your requesting a review.
    Also, you should provide links to let people download your work. A link to the
    git repo on salsa is enough.

Nitpick, in order to promote our dpt-* scripts in pkg-perl-tools: The
    package name will be enough in most cases, as

dpt checkout $package

works in many cases.

Cheers,
    gregor

--
    .''`. https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
    : :' : OpenPGP fingerprint D1E1 316E 93A7 60A8 104D 85FA BB3A 6801 8649 AA06
    `. `' Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
    `- NP: Beatles: Fool On The Hill

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQKTBAEBCgB9FiEE0eExbpOnYKgQTYX6uzpoAYZJqgYFAl/BVrFfFIAAAAAALgAo aXNzdWVyLWZwckBub3RhdGlvbnMub3BlbnBncC5maWZ0aGhvcnNlbWFuLm5ldEQx RTEzMTZFOTNBNzYwQTgxMDREODVGQUJCM0E2ODAxODY0OUFBMDYACgkQuzpoAYZJ qgZEqg//UDKc06LsnMGon/phJNt8/vLU5f01zNMML04uyPeK1Bv4S1ZgtR7LR9JX h3A0Qk4f9iGuQDTyKYU9wZxHnrBZJfeVvj28kvunfXKh55Akw0YeRNv5C1FHa2RW hqzTUZoNULAXIZi+0VOjZjLCWG9yIQVlxWpfRwX7LXUUwhpJvWOe+B11uAVdO0Ip HlygeooXAnP3BZ6TqLeErzLUm1+iE/pjo4XJpjORppbnlC7iNEU5E8sSKRrO8A+B vq5nBFRYlCb5qqSCDoO9s5VND3iLVnGukxh/NpQmyGPjvFF8Y6i8xENV1Lzuh3iT 4bnN7+KJn/+b4O78HswKmveEJdafn7KlHqPv/gJufw1PBbchJ6S2QqthqnpVg1pi ksw2d/gmKnbM6ziCX9ssJvRZY+TGrdwFy7tMSsQ+AuR9oR5nf6gApfrEcMJLenbS ABqOkdV6NEoUVZ5BfHkf3tWOWtQKnEOv2jxdi/Ht4AUgrpQqvwXlcCnm1bGTLVIQ l5A+T6YV7XwfCsI3gFPTePl4gPUOvbrxeUMePelXIa75nMud3YEw+BZ5trPpt0ya hP+fGZbkv4bnXJSR+Myh3KF++iTA9/hkmgW99rxM7mzsH91ipmak9hY4a6191KPg 8mogn4yccHZHcnV1Ejs/xif20GtFPvMGRmns4usRKfud0sb/51A=
    =GUAG
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gregor herrmann@21:1/5 to Ken Ibbotson on Fri Nov 27 20:50:04 2020
    On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 15:07:11 +1030, Ken Ibbotson wrote:

around some aspects.

I'm sorry for having dropped the ball on some (private and/or
    on-the-list) conversations around the packages you were working on.

However, two packages that I uploaded indicated that they are in some *Request
    for Upload* stream.
    […]

We currently have no really good system for requestion uploads /
    making it easy for DDs to spot packages in need of a review/upload.
    (Back in the days we had PET for that purpose.)

What we have is:
    - https://tracker.debian.org/teams/pkg-perl/ (which apparently still
    has no "ready for upload" section)
    - DMD, the UDD-backed maintainer dashboard:
    https://udd.debian.org/dmd/?email1=pkg-perl-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org
    which also provides an RSS feed which I'm using (but I might miss
    things there because it's noisy)
    - watching #debian-perl-changes (which I also do but ever more noise)
    - asking on the list or on IRC in #debian-perl

Please note that both for DMD and humans looking at a repo, the
    distribution in debian/changelog must be changed from UNRELEASED to
    unstable (or other suites) to show that a package is ready and no
    longer WIP.

Summary (for you and other non-DDs): if noone picks up a package in
    need of review, feel free to ask here on the list or on IRC.

Personally I'm signing all my emails (as long as I send them from my
    laptop which has the private key) but that's a matter of taste.

I have updated Git local and origin, and starting to exchange keys to build Web of Trust.

Let's hope there will be physical meetings again in the not so
    distant future, which can also be used for keysigning.

Cheers,
    gregor

--
    .''`. https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
    : :' : OpenPGP fingerprint D1E1 316E 93A7 60A8 104D 85FA BB3A 6801 8649 AA06
    `. `' Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
    `- NP: Beatles: Fool On The Hill

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQKTBAEBCgB9FiEE0eExbpOnYKgQTYX6uzpoAYZJqgYFAl/BVgdfFIAAAAAALgAo aXNzdWVyLWZwckBub3RhdGlvbnMub3BlbnBncC5maWZ0aGhvcnNlbWFuLm5ldEQx RTEzMTZFOTNBNzYwQTgxMDREODVGQUJCM0E2ODAxODY0OUFBMDYACgkQuzpoAYZJ qgYPbA/+NI7ofN6UKp0EwnxesebUtsFutREzJ9IDAX1C91pWLE0DXhlsJj/uYMlK /cxsFZBVr0DszibyuNYlONmb+67v048NSbl3WSUtjzNzi7Qif8lKUlnGwvq/h5j/ ohuGVpfCKsnUpBdxXvH32teDfcz31cNBRAoBsnajAOj0CnAJ7VzpcyXXRlp4R2Ca q66+gIxCof3UMmiDK1gQYc5hjJMDId/QcjFKPmwwDUSzregybCZebrPGKwjdwilb hZ85qFfjj6sDvg7eQMBNtwhm/HpS7skaiaVra4wX+52Z0PZxhvDSMCy5DiK8EfTY P9FEjmPrTNZVn5Z/WUfqKtwQ2BRWLA707dmNWkGzsI4PX9rTTHKxCB4Z4c/QFKNJ DlNrjfmL8aazR/3gpEC6fSzd4XmvzPchpBfBQvcZLA3MNlf9xVJe1/Cj4uRdbVA+ GacDuzMbTm4eYvOIVc5AQkRdUdfsZCLPBWolfWO4kjhke