• windows visual preferences messed up after log-in

From inkbottle@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 13 16:50:02 2021
    Hi all,

Since an odd fortnight to a month, many default visual parameters are weird. Let me be more specific:

Every times I open Kmail, the "list" part of the main window, "subject", "senders", "date", are crammed to the left. Just to the point you can't read anything meaningful. For instance all subjects are restricted to "Re:...".

But the main point is, mouse-sliding the column separators, works only until you close the window: every time it is closed and then opened back again, the modifications I made to the column width are lost, and everything is again in its unreadable configuration.

Errata: I've just check: it's every times you log-out log-in again.

Along the same line:

Every times I open Kmail after logging, it opens in full-screen. I could force it with "special window setting", but that's not the point. Of course I mouse- change the geometry, but each times it re-open full screen.

Along the same line:

I usually have two konsole windows. One of them is restored correctly but not the other one. That point might be related to my using two monitors, though.

And again:

There is the poor session tab management of okular, which "could" be related, or not (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335852).

All those points really hinder the usability of the desktop, because, when you have papers arranged on you desk, you expect them to be at the same place when you come back the next day. You are not supposed to spend half an hour to carefully put every paper in some drawer, and writing a very complicated note to yourself, and the next day spend a similar amount of time, reorganizing
    your desk.

Anyway, that might be only me.

Also, I do have to turn my computer off each day, because second monitor "dpms" energy saving is random, sometimes it steadily works and sometimes, it turns the monitor on and off at a three minutes like frequency, and I'm afraid that might just kill the monitor.

And if I use the monitor power button, everything is messed up when I turn it back on, issue which I understand is widespread.

And even the resolution is wrong (when I use monitor poser button), most of
    the time, to the point that `drm_info`, doesn't return even the possibility of the correct resolution.

All that put together, I'm compelled to turn off the computer every days, which is unusual thing to do, and might explain I'm the only one experiencing those weird window placements and other faulty columns things.

Thanks,
    Chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Christian Hilberg@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 13 17:40:01 2021
    Am Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2021, 16:46:10 CET schrieb inkbottle:
    Hi all,

++

Since an odd fortnight to a month, many default visual parameters are weird. Let me be more specific:

Every times I open Kmail, the "list" part of the main window, "subject", "senders", "date", are crammed to the left. Just to the point you can't read anything meaningful. For instance all subjects are restricted to "Re:...".

But the main point is, mouse-sliding the column separators, works only until you close the window: every time it is closed and then opened back again, the
    modifications I made to the column width are lost, and everything is again in
    its unreadable configuration.

Same here, on an oldish version of Kmail (5.9.3 as packaged on Debian/Buster). Seeing the effect for some time longer, I guess. Not fully clear as of
    when, exactly.

If you want to double your trouble, try switching between starting Kmail as Kmail and Kmail within Kontact. Seems to add an extra layer of settings-forgetfulness.

Might be an issue with the settings store, since in Buster, there has not
    been an upgrade to KMail, but the odd behaviour was not apparent from the beginning, at least not that I remember.

I have not checked with current KMail in Sid, which is far more recent
    and also sits on top of a far more recent Frameworks. Might not make much
    sense to report a bug against Buster now.

[...]

(Bye)²,

another Chris

--

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEEW3yZMRjTp7vRbLshghA+tIwx4RIFAl//HekACgkQghA+tIwx 4RILPA/9HS27f+7mmCFEeQABAwrqSVS39wWea8bWebeAt/CdLzKNWLzsejb/Dy5G ZO0MLFgky4cuNY2b5riEn/VMTMDEVkOIApvXu58/Mn9YG/FLvz8bMg02UbkNuzIA dHVTHczoX/EoOIYcVXOxR+g0rKSQRpeQwCfqPwsCQnnvaax93xaF2faK62toTHdf WtGAFk/31uIn069I+OAOGqWMaXkZk/TRrpsgMyEmxX9WyXtEDQTG5sz4XuVpS+R7 dr+vce/CcoXBjJUNXvS4r/5Y4n8kOv0jirrvzDa5GTiQKVGeGYlDTTtpeEfYePur qX4Cyxw1tN+DZgX7lHy/6wou4QyaHZKooj30EiqDX2JBeE6OYoJ+n11lNO50Rb9p 3lL3NCO2FtP5b9UQ5AyKABhqCgXQ3hbrfQvzouOE7LZTcjH2qA1UPn3Y7ZMSQ9Mz STuDc3OTmRKpPtvaT6QKWBc9NmBu2vtrBqn/6AZximmbCJev6n9nY4q+1Q/N0SSU mabqRl9KGVHSdo/OvainHtNwGwG/XDyo8n6eFOUmMpQoixoEpWeb14yrEv3cIIHd eVUa+DW+nrjO4q56ReSzztmnQIS2kG1IYCxDzodMxG24m7AO2V1zZIorxglUey/N TaO/RA72rb2qOrWS1V/bjX2oSPHgIeZ+DJaB/Gm/Lliw+E3ytTw=
    =IEh9
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From inkbottle@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 14 06:20:02 2021
    On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 5:20:57 PM CET Christian Hilberg wrote:
    Am Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2021, 16:46:10 CET schrieb inkbottle:
    Hi all,

++

But the main point is, mouse-sliding the column separators, works only until you close the window: every time it is closed and then opened back again, the modifications I made to the column width are lost, and everything is again in its unreadable configuration.

Same here, on an oldish version of Kmail (5.9.3 as packaged on Debian/Buster). Seeing the effect for some time longer, I guess. Not fully clear as of when, exactly.

If you want to double your trouble, try switching between starting Kmail as Kmail and Kmail within Kontact. Seems to add an extra layer of settings-forgetfulness.

Might be an issue with the settings store, since in Buster, there has not been an upgrade to KMail, but the odd behaviour was not apparent from the beginning, at least not that I remember.

I have not checked with current KMail in Sid, which is far more recent
    and also sits on top of a far more recent Frameworks. Might not make much sense to report a bug against Buster now.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I'm using sid, and since my issues are like a month old, they are very likely unrelated.

[...]

(Bye)²,

another Chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sandro =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Knau=DF?=@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 14 14:20:21 2021
    Hi,

Using sid.

I only see this issue sometimes when I plug an external monitor than restart without the monitor available.

But the main point is, mouse-sliding the column separators, works only until you close the window: every time it is closed and then opened back again,
    the modifications I made to the column width are lost, and everything is again in its unreadable configuration.

Every times I open Kmail after logging, it opens in full-screen. I could force it with "special window setting", but that's not the point. Of course
    I mouse- change the geometry, but each times it re-open full screen.

This works for me. I also did another try the size of Kontact in general and also the columns width is restored correctly. Maybe you need to remove your current session to restart with a fresh one. I have different session artifacts, like apps get started again and again, but I also close them.

I usually have two konsole windows. One of them is restored correctly but
    not the other one. That point might be related to my using two monitors, though.

I cannot reproduce, as I don't have two monitors attached to my computer.

There is the poor session tab management of okular, which "could" be
    related, or not (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335852).

Don't use okular that much, so I normal don't have okular open when
    restarting.

All those points really hinder the usability of the desktop, because, when you have papers arranged on you desk, you expect them to be at the same
    place when you come back the next day. You are not supposed to spend half
    an hour to carefully put every paper in some drawer, and writing a very complicated note to yourself, and the next day spend a similar amount of time, reorganizing your desk.

Please search for upstream bugs and if there are non please create them https://bugs.kde.org. I would place them at ksmserver, as it is mostly likely that this has the issues.If there are patches we can backport them to Debian.

Regards

hefee
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEEOewRoCAWtykmSRoG462wCFBgVjYFAmAARRUACgkQ462wCFBg VjYPeg//bV5gGyIPeB6N2UH6B/xfr4oUdUo+Uu7seKRo08uH5HAAHqzRe7FLSTfw 5m+VetWTHBckRC4wpJQi+gBNdTLFR2yjJGkoTSMNGuctEY6JU2PnRYHL/mLaUC50 N2EqPXvnDF0glM7YKP/fOBkCybdrzwbxwyk2D4mXyQkVE1OtgEb1tresjSp80f6/ /dCSRJXHI9jf6cQFk8+OJqoRriCBFx0BHTRoL8bN8L85FwYxicsxAG5cLWKz6G6N VM1X/7Rj7C1+sGJDoN/kmTwK3pzpFBL3Ow1fsvpVK0Dj4ws/tYgQ4mgK38JFRLdi CXe+XRIRVFKFdQCFP+R4ybSKt9gxTU5POIpCxTNLKQFfHL0qYjoZsKahbBmyYqPf 8g55knFcrOFmlE0qGydcHPdiu12wFQB5RmxRpyUoyPYht4fdMTH2nXZLF7SPreZY wW/3xUjU9nWHU++Kl0PT2g3I71W+5CON1qXKJctOXvXWaarzV7YIFahitlybzKLi xCULkbjXUpwCFgrXrtf6lO2gQTDMUdLWTCTlYej3ZvcKt+2aXIqd5hxqQD3/M0iO aZq9GgIOpDH2uxL6UVN6Qrub9ZnVaVU/mvi1LhbQPwjfaPwtFZXf8g7D22z2KOkB PjXhxd8bgl6xne9bi7z16qRA8LiuZF+CZ6XvWgAZAE1xY2j/5MI=
    =4CBJ
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From inkbottle@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 15 04:50:01 2021
    On Thursday, January 14, 2021 2:20:21 PM CET Sandro Knauß wrote:
    Hi,

Using sid.

I only see this issue sometimes when I plug an external monitor than restart without the monitor available.

Every times I open Kmail after logging, it opens in full-screen. I could force it with "special window setting", but that's not the point. Of
    course
    I mouse- change the geometry, but each times it re-open full screen.

This works for me. I also did another try the size of Kontact in general and also the columns width is restored correctly. Maybe you need to remove your current session to restart with a fresh one. I have different session artifacts, like apps get started again and again, but I also close them.
    I usually have two konsole windows. One of them is restored correctly but not the other one. That point might be related to my using two monitors, though.

I cannot reproduce, as I don't have two monitors attached to my computer.

There is the poor session tab management of okular, which "could" be related, or not (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335852).

Don't use okular that much, so I normal don't have okular open when restarting.

All those points really hinder the usability of the desktop, because, when you have papers arranged on you desk, you expect them to be at the same place when you come back the next day. You are not supposed to spend half an hour to carefully put every paper in some drawer, and writing a very complicated note to yourself, and the next day spend a similar amount of time, reorganizing your desk.

Please search for upstream bugs and if there are non please create them https://bugs.kde.org. I would place them at ksmserver, as it is mostly likely that this has the issues.If there are patches we can backport them
    to Debian.

Well, thanks a lot. I've been investigating the line of old session files, removing all that could easily be removed, and still in the process of looking into the others.

I've found that line that actually forces session saving:

```
    qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer org.kde.KSMServerInterface.saveCurrentSession
    ```

And it works, in that there is a `~/.config/session/okular_10df6-blah-blah` file
    created.
    And that this file contains:

```
    [1]
    ActiveTab=0
    Urls[$e]=file:$HOME/file1.pdf,file:$HOME/file2.pdf

```

I'll also investigate in the line of: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi? id=403848

If you do a log-out, with okular multiple tabs: logout process is actually interrupted. Until the time you click "yes", I do want to close all okular tabs. If you answer cancel to that dialog box, the log-out is stopped.

If instead it's a reboot, you have the same visual, but after a while the reboot wins the battle.

However that doesn't seem like sound at all. Like, at what point is the session saved, before or after okular is closed, or tabs are closed.

I'll keep you informed.

Regards

hefee

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From inkbottle@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 19 17:00:01 2021
    On Friday, January 15, 2021 4:47:32 AM CET you wrote:
    On Thursday, January 14, 2021 2:20:21 PM CET Sandro Knauß wrote:
    Hi,

Using sid.

I'll keep you informed.

Regards

hefee

For the Okular bit, I've found a workaround (I hope), and reported that upstream:
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335852
    IMO it's also a security concern.

They seem to have a lot on their plate for the present...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05