• konsole disappeared permanently

From inkbottle@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 29 16:10:01 2020
    Hi all,

I've been meddling with konsole transparency through "configure special application settings - configure window manager".

I've only introduced "active opacity" and "inactive opacity", set them to "force" and dial them to, say, 20%. Then apply.

I was not satisfy by the result, as many people are, so I took step to
    "remove" the properties. And did apply.

But then nothing changed. So I said to myself: maybe only the handle to the property is removed...

So I reintroduced the properties, and set them to an intermediary position,
    and force again, and apply, and

Ta-da, all konsole are vanished.

Like you can't see anything of them, whatever you do. Like too much of the potion of the invisible man.

Since the transparency settings were realistic I did a reboot. But konsole remained invisible.

Newly opened console: invisible, no way to see where it is, or if it is there at all.

Ctrl-F10 not showing them.

But Alt-Tab do show them, in the side panel list, I mean. So you sort of can select them.

And mouse-hover cursor is modified when above them. If the window is alone on the screen, you can differentiate it from the background.

So I carefully managed to have the focus in one konsole, and pasted:

`qdbus org.kde.KWin /Compositor suspend`

phew!

I don't even know if it is fixable.

So temporarily no compositor. Too bad, I liked my compositor.

Also, I had to un-tick "enable compositor on startup", otherwise, no more konsole on reboot.

Note: settings are:
    Crisp,
    OpenGL 3.0
    Automatic (tearing prevention ("vsync")
    Only for shown windows
    Allow applications to block conposition (un-ticked)

My system is "last week" sid; without the experimental plasma, just plain sid.

Thanks,
    Chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From inkbottle@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 29 20:20:02 2020
    Fixed after upgrade.

However there is one remaining thing that could be confusing:

with configure window manager - special application/window settings,
    we now add/remove features.

When you remove a feature it does not default to a default behavior, it only remove the handle to that behavior.

That was not how it behaved in the past.

And the new way, the way it is, cannot be good. For instance you can't resize
    a window, but you don't know why.

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 3:59:50 PM CET you wrote:
    Hi all,

I've been meddling with konsole transparency through "configure special application settings - configure window manager".

I've only introduced "active opacity" and "inactive opacity", set them to "force" and dial them to, say, 20%. Then apply.

I was not satisfy by the result, as many people are, so I took step to "remove" the properties. And did apply.

But then nothing changed. So I said to myself: maybe only the handle to the property is removed...

So I reintroduced the properties, and set them to an intermediary position, and force again, and apply, and

Ta-da, all konsole are vanished.

Like you can't see anything of them, whatever you do. Like too much of the potion of the invisible man.

Since the transparency settings were realistic I did a reboot. But konsole remained invisible.

Newly opened console: invisible, no way to see where it is, or if it is
    there at all.

Ctrl-F10 not showing them.

But Alt-Tab do show them, in the side panel list, I mean. So you sort of can select them.

And mouse-hover cursor is modified when above them. If the window is alone
    on the screen, you can differentiate it from the background.

So I carefully managed to have the focus in one konsole, and pasted:

`qdbus org.kde.KWin /Compositor suspend`

phew!

I don't even know if it is fixable.

So temporarily no compositor. Too bad, I liked my compositor.

Also, I had to un-tick "enable compositor on startup", otherwise, no more konsole on reboot.

Note: settings are:
    Crisp,
    OpenGL 3.0
    Automatic (tearing prevention ("vsync")
    Only for shown windows
    Allow applications to block conposition (un-ticked)

My system is "last week" sid; without the experimental plasma, just plain sid.

Thanks,
    Chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)