• Need help fixing Akonadi

From Borden@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 28 10:20:02 2021
    I made the grave mistake of upgrading from PostgreSQL 13 to 14 and assuming that Akonadi would upgrade, too. This, of course, broke Kontact and all of its sub-programs, so I deleted everything I could find in ~/.local/share/akonadi* , ~/.config/akonadi* ,
    ~/.cache/akonadi* and a few kmail2 files that looked safe to delete.

My vCalendar folder and work GSuite integration seem to work again. I'm struggling with these other items:

1) Akonadi keeps downloading from my IMAP account at top speed (thereby hogging all the available bandwidth on my network) and never seems to finish.
    2) Akonadi no longer recognises my Maildir as a KMail Mail Folder and refuses to sync the subfolders. However, I can load my Maildir as a simple Maildir folder.
    3) Akonadi no longer loads contacts from any of my vCard dirs

Could somebody help me troubleshoot these problems? I'm not sure what online resources I can rely upon since much of it is several years old.

Incidentally, is there a resistance movement to get Akonadi out of KDE that I could join and/or finance? The Internet seems pretty unified that the Akonadi experiment has been a catastrophic failure and has left Linux source without a proper PIM suite
    since 2008.

With thanks,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From rhkramer@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 28 15:40:01 2021
    On Sunday, November 28, 2021 04:16:09 AM Borden wrote:
    Incidentally, is there a resistance movement to get Akonadi out of KDE that
    I could join and/or finance? The Internet seems pretty unified that the Akonadi experiment has been a catastrophic failure and has left Linux
    source without a proper PIM suite since 2008.

+1, for what it's worth

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Borden@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 28 19:40:02 2021
    28 Nov 2021, 08:47 by lilywhite2005@outlook.com:
    Jokes aside, did you roll back PostgreSQL to 13 and purge all Akonadi-related packages, then reinstall them? This worked for me (the purging and reinstalling part) the first time it broke down.

I'd rather use different PIM software than wipe and reload. I basically store my contacts in vCard directories, calendar + todo lists in an iCalendar directory, use IMAP and Maildir+ for mailing lists, and would like, but don't require, GSuite
    integration. Is there such a thing as open source software that competently implements open RFCs?

Evolution is out because it doesn't support recurring calendar items. I last used Thunderbird in the 00s and purged it after they tried to convince that never deleting data in the database and storing passwords in plaintext were features, not critical
    bugs. I'm not going back to that until I'm satisfied that the team has stopped lying.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hefee@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 29 17:54:37 2021
    Hey,

I made the grave mistake of upgrading from PostgreSQL 13 to 14 and assuming that Akonadi would upgrade, too. This, of course, broke Kontact and all of its sub-programs, so I deleted everything I could find in ~/.local/share/akonadi* , ~/.config/akonadi* , ~/.cache/akonadi* and a few kmail2 files that looked safe to delete.

The upgrade works, but you need PostgreSQL 13 and 14 installed at the same time, than Akonadi is able to the upgrade. There may be bugs in the upgrade process (as you are running Debian unstable/testing), but it is hard to
    improve the situation as you delete all traces of the broken upgrade.
    By the way, ~/.config/akonadi* are configuration files! So you hopefully have backup those, as I expect two of your problems would been fixed, if you
    recover those files.

1) Akonadi keeps downloading from my IMAP account at top speed (thereby hogging all the available bandwidth on my network) and never seems to
    finish.

Sure it needs to download every mail again from your IMAP account.

2) Akonadi no longer recognises my Maildir as a KMail Mail Folder
    and refuses to sync the subfolders. However, I can load my Maildir as a simple Maildir folder.
    3) Akonadi no longer loads contacts from any of my
    vCard dirs

The default settings have changed in between several KDEPIM versions, this is what is stored in .config/akonadi/ files. Recover those files from backups, than these two resources are availalabe again, after you restarted Akonadi.

Regards

hefee

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEEOewRoCAWtykmSRoG462wCFBgVjYFAmGlBc0ACgkQ462wCFBg VjYaTxAAoc/o4O+Yah7y8NUBUa3lMes23yWsQ6iCJ5eMELstZLZ98MwHVh7L46wU CTNIbRzl1EdFrY85F2KkLOcx9PtLDjtGUi+GHUUR9NEcpKLsmr0KMW2uW/H9hf/z GgEJCvA3LXCm9MkI6z0j2s5H8clXDjzctI1E2VxZdqDDuEL4rN/pDSE/XsTzIFdu Cw2Rxm5g34YSf4dLfoZw1lyRxAXKLtGJW3HiPHJem/HIO1TwG4O+R+6m4pKT1z1J 1pRYwAjvk+A4ciaILy0ulnmfIts1E1eOeCq+CIyrRCnMHsWzLi/w60cGgc+K0tKR cJK7UhujNpDh16s7je3C2vWxrxgE2pIRA6SL+dRMCs0SU5fwyM04sEqVPZ3q1nR1 ef6alQRCSnT9xuYxk8mw4PshG1wN9uAVVK0/N+2u1Ia2yYPxY78RL51gSZAL6DB/ cUPphSzNl4G3ves2G5aLFT+SHCSuI8gbPJ/VBprMFXkAN6WCCBSrT9tnAORAJ0LL 0IPy1v/YlhI7dSP5ghKUzhyCDRCGKGqll20+Nmmig2tpwDUocGoil+6yWmXvh7rt l5Fkd6u+yqjP7cETwXoFF1GhjEjWRWNJfWD1XtAdxNI6/YIX+rz8xFJ8GLQfkfJl m5Y9l4cKdJ6azP4B4vP1pqkjcgCxnjFOknF1eC8F/ktun+flOdQ=
    =imLg
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Borden@21:1/5 to Not a problem. I made sure I read t on Tue Nov 30 04:10:02 2021
    Nov 29, 2021, 11:54 by hefee@debian.org:

By the way, ~/.config/akonadi* are configuration files! So you hopefully have backup those, as I expect two of your problems would been fixed, if you recover those files.

Not a problem. I made sure I read the files and wrote down any important information before deleting them. I should be able to rebuild these because Akonadi doesn't touch the underlying data (right? RIGHT?!). It's sometimes just easier to start fresh,
    which is what I want to do, anyhow.

1) Akonadi keeps downloading from my IMAP account at top speed (thereby
    hogging all the available bandwidth on my network) and never seems to
    finish.

The trouble, though, is that it _has_ finished downloading every message, and it continues to download. Perhaps there's a server side error, perhaps there's a KMail error. I just don't know how to navigate the Akonadi console to find what's causing the
    traffic jam.

and refuses to sync the subfolders. However, I can load my Maildir as a
    simple Maildir folder.
    vCard dirs

The default settings have changed in between several KDEPIM versions, this is what is stored in .config/akonadi/ files. Recover those files from backups, than these two resources are availalabe again, after you restarted Akonadi.

I could have followed this advice yesterday before, in an unrelated incident, I accidentally destroyed my most recent backups by resizing partitions (hint: moving btrfs partitions is not a failsafe operation!) :-P I don't mind rebuilding the databases.
    If I can figure out what the maildir and vCard directory plugins are choking on, I might be able to fix the offending files by hand and/or file an intelligent bug report. But, again, I don't know which logs to review.

So what I'd like to do, because at this point I haven't much of a choice, is to rebuild the Akonadi databases from scratch and reconfigure them.

With thanks,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hefee@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 30 12:10:27 2021
    Hey,

By the way, ~/.config/akonadi* are configuration files! So you hopefully have backup those, as I expect two of your problems would been fixed, if you recover those files.

Not a problem. I made sure I read the files and wrote down any important information before deleting them. I should be able to rebuild these because Akonadi doesn't touch the underlying data (right? RIGHT?!). It's sometimes just easier to start fresh, which is what I want to do, anyhow.

if you modify data you will touch the underlying data, but if you just read
    the content Akonadi will do no changes to the data.
    It looks differently if you change data within any program, as Akonadi not always directly save the changed content to disk, this can mean that the underlying data is not up-to-date and the changes are only stored inside the Akonadi database ( this is mostly an issue for on disk resources). If I correctly followed the devs this has changed with newer Akonadi versions and the data is always pushed directly to disk. That is also a risk, if you just delete the Akonadi database.

1) Akonadi keeps downloading from my IMAP account at top speed (thereby
    hogging all the available bandwidth on my network) and never seems to
    finish.

The trouble, though, is that it _has_ finished downloading every message,
    and it continues to download. Perhaps there's a server side error, perhaps there's a KMail error. I just don't know how to navigate the Akonadi
    console to find what's causing the traffic jam.

run Akonadi with logging enabled:
    QT_LOGGING_RULES="*=true;qt.*=false" akonadictl restart

or even log the complete IMAP traffic:
    export KIMAP_LOGFILE=/tmp/imap.log

see also https://techbase.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Akonadi/Debug_IMAP

and refuses to sync the subfolders. However, I can load my Maildir as a
    simple Maildir folder.
    vCard dirs

The default settings have changed in between several KDEPIM versions, this is what is stored in .config/akonadi/ files. Recover those files from backups, than these two resources are availalabe again, after you
    restarted Akonadi.

I could have followed this advice yesterday before, in an unrelated
    incident, I accidentally destroyed my most recent backups by resizing partitions (hint: moving btrfs partitions is not a failsafe operation!) :-P
    I don't mind rebuilding the databases. If I can figure out what the
    maildir and vCard directory plugins are choking on, I might be able to fix the offending files by hand and/or file an intelligent bug report. But, again, I don't know which logs to review.

The resources need to point to the correct files and folders, than Akonadi
    will able to read their content.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEEOewRoCAWtykmSRoG462wCFBgVjYFAmGmBqMACgkQ462wCFBg VjYlCA//VSwQfdd8esKWaQYVGNJ2q0Oe1Ha6uHLrfglpFvs/uiKemEmz2lMWd+jp QqyAxr4lPE2gHlvD0f5xggMnxPasW8LwGxgXyEVjBVLZ9uvdy+2t2TUK2QISApuQ /2Gh/7KWz3NVof85HwBF95V8jiT+Jk7AJLc42LCl4nzddQTHTB1ZH2LNpZaxpT2V Lw+GATq22fxqwXHpVDolgRrYZQijOBoG4QIDodt2F5MvVrTJXpKoQ2Bqg8SyDEX4 eBBagL0pUY0crF/lCUZCWI7BlB0QGa1TYl5UPzvsEdaJ+tqmCb8a4BGq++lX1P1S qC0SMFRyaSQ/QOTdeLcBOBbuClisAiftCv9q+ejGqX8Wx8dtIpjYg0NGZn1I+f62 luLTznSuhFBVIeYguq0ZaHV37f/kVgMNPNuC1ApXvyCMyFe6DFbdrVnazz2j8N3A g+ulI1l7zzNXmxTFyr+iu1mSnzaYL4+bH/9Hd/1wrsXG9faf/bmzuQjFgkc39p1G JsiPsDDXJXXavE4gMy/NOORucZQE5oZvXPN7ishrR9uw4g/zJkUlnGM3OfIB3Tct NQsz1yLPRTP4r6ioHMcOMcSyX9bUEKOOS8zu/bC+J4/T6MrphiBubj/3QBUGpN0l RV9ngEJkhuQ6C7AMo0o++9RJXhFu9JwJW701yAqqv5zfPTufChE=
    =p2aA
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Borden@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 12 11:00:01 2021
    run Akonadi with logging enabled:

or even log the complete IMAP traffic:
    export KIMAP_LOGFILE=/tmp/imap.log

see also > https://techbase.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Akonadi/Debug_IMAP

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll start with this one, which is the most urgent problem.

It appears that when IMAP tries to sync, it gets part way through my mail account. There are lots of entries reading

org.kde.pim.akonadicore: Received batch:  X Already processed:  Y Expected total amount:  Z

At some point, though, it fails:

org.kde.pim.kimap: The stream parser raised an exception: Unable to read more data
    org.kde.pim.kimap: The stream parser raised an exception: Unable to read more data
    org.kde.pim.kimap: close
    org.kde.pim.kimap: close
    org.kde.pim.imapresource.trace: RetrieveItemsTask
    org.kde.pim.imapresource: Cancelling this request.
    org.kde.pim.akonadicore: The item sync is being rolled-back. org.kde.pim.akonadicore: ItemSync of collection 20 finished due to user cancelling
    org.kde.pim.imapresource: Fetch job failed  "Connection to server lost." org.kde.pim.imapresource: ""
    org.kde.pim.imapresource: Cancel task:  ""
    org.kde.pim.imapresource.trace: RetrieveCollectionMetadataTask

And the subsequent log messages suggest that it tries to re-establish the connection. That seems to be a worthy hypothesis. The sync fails and, on each failure, it rolls back and starts again.

The IMAP logs from the export KIMAP_LOGFILE setting basically shows every e-mail it's trying to sync, so the files are massive, and it's hard to search them for meaningful messages.

I have no access to or control over the IMAP server. Does the protocol and/or Akonadi support picking up where it left off, so it eventually syncs?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Borden@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 27 19:30:02 2022
    Updates to this problem for the benefit of others:

30 Nov 2021, 06:10 by hefee@debian.org:

1) Akonadi keeps downloading from my IMAP account at top speed (thereby >> >> hogging all the available bandwidth on my network) and never seems to
    finish.

The trouble, though, is that it _has_ finished downloading every message,
    and it continues to download. Perhaps there's a server side error, perhaps >> there's a KMail error. I just don't know how to navigate the Akonadi
    console to find what's causing the traffic jam.

I managed to work around this problem by right-clicking the offending IMAP account, clicking Folder Properties -> Retrieval Options and selecting "Retrieve message bodies on demand". I think what happened is that the server timed out and instead of
    exiting gracefully and picking up later, KMail just kept re-attempting to download from scratch (which I think is a bug). Once KMail was able to update the indicies again, I went back in and switched "Retrieve message bodies on demand" to "Always
    retrieve full messages" and now it works normally.

see also https://techbase.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Akonadi/Debug_IMAP

and refuses to sync the subfolders. However, I can load my Maildir as a >> >> simple Maildir folder.

This automagically updated in the latest testing dist-upgrade, so I think there was a regression or library conflict that eventually resolved. This works now.

Still no working address book folders, but I'll keep troubleshooting.

Akonadi still needs to die die die, which shouldn't be controversial, given the consensus opinion of the platform.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05