• Unable to access plasma desktop after nvidia drive upgrade on testing

From Marc Bres Gil@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 19 10:50:02 2021
    Good Morning,

Yesterday I've did a apt upgrade which upgraded the nvidia-driver to 470 on
    my debian testing system.
    After the corresponding reboot, SDDM starts ok, but when I input my
    credentials plasma desktop hangs on the splash screen.

Now I've installed cinnamon DE (a lot uglier btw) which works, so seems
    some problem between plasma and new nvidia-driver.
    I've created a new user from scratch to check if there are some problems
    with user profile customizations, but got the same behavior, after entering
    the credentials on sddm, plasma hangs on the splash screen.

I've checked the xorg.0.log, and seen nothing there.
    Anyone has the same problem?
    Can you guide me on which logs I have to check to find the problem?

Thank you

--
    Marc Bres Gil
    marc@bres.cat
    marc.bres@gmail.com

<div dir="ltr"><div>Good Morning,</div><div><br></div><div>Yesterday I&#39;ve did a apt upgrade which upgraded the nvidia-driver to 470 on my debian testing system.<br></div><div>After the corresponding reboot, SDDM starts ok, but when I input my
    credentials plasma desktop hangs on the splash screen.</div><div><br></div><div>Now I&#39;ve installed cinnamon DE (a lot uglier btw) which works, so seems some problem between plasma and new nvidia-driver.</div><div>I&#39;ve created a new user from
    scratch to check if there are some problems with user profile customizations, but got the same behavior, after entering the credentials on sddm, plasma hangs on the splash screen.<br></div><div><br></div><div>I&#39;ve checked the xorg.0.log, and seen
    nothing there.</div><div>Anyone has the same problem?</div><div>Can you guide me on which logs I have to check to find the problem?</div><div><br></div><div>Thank you<br></div><div><br>-- <br><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_
    signature">Marc Bres Gil<br><a href="mailto:marc@bres.cat" target="_blank">marc@bres.cat</a><br><a href="mailto:marc.bres@gmail.com" target="_blank">marc.bres@gmail.com</a></div></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Sami Erjomaa@21:1/5 to Marc Bres Gil on Tue Oct 19 11:40:01 2021
    On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 at 11:46, Marc Bres Gil <marc.bres@gmail.com> wrote:

Good Morning,

Yesterday I've did a apt upgrade which upgraded the nvidia-driver to 470
    on my debian testing system.
    After the corresponding reboot, SDDM starts ok, but when I input my credentials plasma desktop hangs on the splash screen.

with user profile customizations, but got the same behavior, after entering the credentials on sddm, plasma hangs on the splash screen.

Thank you

--
    Marc Bres Gil
    marc@bres.cat
    marc.bres@gmail.com

Hi,

Downgrade libkdecorations2-5v5 to version 5.21.5-2

--
    Sami Erjomaa
    linktr.ee/erjomaa

<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr">On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 at 11:46, Marc Bres Gil &lt;<a href="mailto:marc.bres@gmail.com">marc.bres@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-
    left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div>Good Morning,</div><div><br></div><div>Yesterday I&#39;ve did a apt upgrade which upgraded the nvidia-driver to 470 on my debian testing system.<br></div><div>After the corresponding
    reboot, SDDM starts ok, but when I input my credentials plasma desktop hangs on the splash screen.</div><div><br></div><div>Now I&#39;ve installed cinnamon DE (a lot uglier btw) which works, so seems some problem between plasma and new nvidia-driver.</
    <div>I&#39;ve created a new user from scratch to check if there are some problems with user profile customizations, but got the same behavior, after entering the credentials on sddm, plasma hangs on the splash screen.<br></div><div><br></div><div>I&#
    39;ve checked the xorg.0.log, and seen nothing there.</div><div>Anyone has the same problem?</div><div>Can you guide me on which logs I have to check to find the problem?</div><div><br></div><div>Thank you<br></div><div><br>-- <br><div dir="ltr">Marc
    Bres Gil<br><a href="mailto:marc@bres.cat" target="_blank">marc@bres.cat</a><br><a href="mailto:marc.bres@gmail.com" target="_blank">marc.bres@gmail.com</a></div></div></div>
    </blockquote></div><br clear="all"><div><div>Hi,</div><div><br></div><div>Downgrade libkdecorations2-5v5 to version 5.21.5-2</div></div><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="
    ltr">Sami Erjomaa</div><a href="https://linktr.ee/erjomaa" target="_blank">linktr.ee/erjomaa</a></div></div></div></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Marc Bres Gil@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 19 11:30:01 2021
    Thanks a lot Sami,

I thought it was nvidia driver problem as it was the "big" package on the upgrade. But you are right, downgrading the libkdecorations2-5v5 allowed me
    to access kde again!
    After your indications I've found the bug 996726 which was exactly what was happening to me.

Thanks for your quick response!

Missatge de Sami Erjomaa <sami.erjomaa@gmail.com> del dia dt., 19 d’oct.
    2021 a les 11:17:

On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 at 11:46, Marc Bres Gil <marc.bres@gmail.com> wrote:

Good Morning,

Yesterday I've did a apt upgrade which upgraded the nvidia-driver to 470
    on my debian testing system.
    After the corresponding reboot, SDDM starts ok, but when I input my
    credentials plasma desktop hangs on the splash screen.

with user profile customizations, but got the same behavior, after entering >> the credentials on sddm, plasma hangs on the splash screen.

Thank you

--
    Marc Bres Gil
    marc@bres.cat
    marc.bres@gmail.com

Hi,

Downgrade libkdecorations2-5v5 to version 5.21.5-2

--
    Sami Erjomaa
    linktr.ee/erjomaa

--
    Marc Bres Gil
    marc@bres.cat
    marc.bres@gmail.com

<div dir="ltr"><div>Thanks a lot Sami,</div><div><br></div><div>I thought it was nvidia driver problem as it was the &quot;big&quot; package on the upgrade. But you are right, downgrading the libkdecorations2-5v5 allowed me to access kde again!</div><div>
    After your indications I&#39;ve found the bug 996726 which was exactly what was happening to me.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks for your quick response!<br></div><div><br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">
    Missatge de Sami Erjomaa &lt;<a href="mailto:sami.erjomaa@gmail.com">sami.erjomaa@gmail.com</a>&gt; del dia dt., 19 d’oct. 2021 a les 11:17:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);
    padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr">On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 at 11:46, Marc Bres Gil &lt;<a href="mailto:marc.bres@gmail.com" target="_blank">marc.bres@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><div class