• KDE Frameworks 5.81.0 available (Experimental)

From Luc Castermans@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 14 23:10:03 2021
    My computer just pulled KDE Frameworks 5.81.0 from Experimental.

Thanks!

--
    Luc Castermans
    mailto:luc.castermans@gmail.com

<div dir="ltr"><div>My computer just pulled KDE Frameworks 5.81.0 from Experimental.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks!<br></div><div><br>-- <br><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature">Luc Castermans<br>mailto:<a href="
    mailto:luc.castermans@gmail.com" target="_blank">luc.castermans@gmail.com</a></div></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From inkbottle@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 1 16:30:01 2021
    On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 11:03:32 PM CEST Luc Castermans wrote:

I've myself switched to "Plasma 5.21.4". Like, not planing to go back.
    It allows me to use kwin-wayland by fixing:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=404092

I answer here because it seems the first post in that line.

I'd be happy to hear about:

How did you manage to install the binaries related to the source package, but only those that you need. Sort of.

I've myself be guided to the line:

`apt install -t experimental $(dpkg -l | grep 5.20.5 | awk '/^ii/ {print
    $2}')`

And about pinning experimental with a low priority...

And also:

Do you feel that "Plasma 5.21.4" is working better when with "Frameworks 5.81.0"?

Or that, if I'm satisfied with Plasma-5.21.4, I shouldn't bother with Framework-5.81.0?

(Satisfied here is more a question of "how much" than of "yes or no". Certainly there are plenty of things that are not performing the way they should. But
    the feeling is that Wayland is more stable, more robust, faster: better in every way that really matter. And no, the bells and whistles are not there
    yet. And plenty of small things are crashing, but the desktop itself seems dependable. And if something is not working with Wayland, you can expect there'll be a fix someday.)

Anyway:

How do you manage installs and upgrades related to Experimental Framework and Plasma?

What is you level of satisfaction about it?

Are you planing to keep on using them, until they come to unstable in a
    distant future?

I don't suppose you are usually using experimental as your regular debian source?

Thanks,
    Chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Luc Castermans@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 3 09:20:02 2021
    Hi Chris

I use Plasma etc. stuf from Experimental and plan to use it along the way, until it arrives in Sid, testing, etc. The default on my machines
    is testing, I install stuf from Experimental only based on my interests,
    KDE being one of them, so non-KDE packages are installed from testing or
    sid if needed.

I install latest-and-greatest of Frameworks and Plasma, as they ought to go together, just following the upstream releases. I am very satisfied with de
    KDE packages in Debian as they are available after a couple of days of the upstream release. This allows me to follow and interact with the upstream communications on KDE while using a stable Debian environment. I cannot
    thank the team enough for this!

Regards,

Luc

Op za 1 mei 2021 om 16:22 schreef inkbottle <inkbottle007@gmail.com>:

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 11:03:32 PM CEST Luc Castermans wrote:

I've myself switched to "Plasma 5.21.4". Like, not planing to go back.
    It allows me to use kwin-wayland by fixing:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=404092

I answer here because it seems the first post in that line.

I'd be happy to hear about:

How did you manage to install the binaries related to the source package,
    but
    only those that you need. Sort of.

I've myself be guided to the line:

`apt install -t experimental $(dpkg -l | grep 5.20.5 | awk '/^ii/ {print $2}')`

And about pinning experimental with a low priority...

And also:

Do you feel that "Plasma 5.21.4" is working better when with "Frameworks 5.81.0"?

Or that, if I'm satisfied with Plasma-5.21.4, I shouldn't bother with Framework-5.81.0?

(Satisfied here is more a question of "how much" than of "yes or no". Certainly
    there are plenty of things that are not performing the way they should.
    But
    the feeling is that Wayland is more stable, more robust, faster: better in every way that really matter. And no, the bells and whistles are not there yet. And plenty of small things are crashing, but the desktop itself seems dependable. And if something is not working with Wayland, you can expect there'll be a fix someday.)

Anyway:

How do you manage installs and upgrades related to Experimental Framework
    and
    Plasma?

What is you level of satisfaction about it?

Are you planing to keep on using them, until they come to unstable in a distant future?

I don't suppose you are usually using experimental as your regular debian source?

Thanks,
    Chris

--
    Luc Castermans

<div dir="ltr"><div>Hi Chris</div><div><br></div><div>I use Plasma etc. stuf from Experimental and plan to use it along the way, until it arrives in Sid, testing, etc.  The default on my machines</div><div>is testing, I install stuf from Experimental
    only based on my interests, KDE being one of them, so non-KDE packages are installed from testing or sid if needed. <br></div><div><br></div><div>I install latest-and-greatest of Frameworks and Plasma, as they ought to go together, just following the
    upstream releases. I am very satisfied with de KDE packages in Debian as they are available after a couple of days of the upstream release. This allows me to follow and interact with the upstream communications on KDE while using a stable Debian
    environment.   I cannot thank the team enough for this!</div><div><br></div><div>Regards,</div><div><br></div><div>Luc<br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">Op za 1 mei 2021 om 16:22
    schreef inkbottle &lt;<a href="mailto:inkbottle007@gmail.com">inkbottle007@gmail.com</a>&gt;:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On Wednesday, April 14, 2021
    11:03:32 PM CEST Luc Castermans wrote:<br>
    &gt; My computer just pulled KDE Frameworks 5.81.0 from Experimental.<br>

I&#39;ve myself switched to &quot;Plasma 5.21.4&quot;. Like, not planing to go back.<br>
    It allows me to use kwin-wayland by fixing:<br>

<a href="https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=404092" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=404092</a><br>

I answer here because it seems the first post in that line.<br>

I&#39;d be happy to hear about:<br>

How did you manage to install the binaries related to the source package, but <br>
    only those that you need. Sort of.<br>

I&#39;ve myself be guided to the line:<br>

`apt install -t experimental $(dpkg -l | grep 5.20.5 | awk &#39;/^ii/ {print <br>
    $2}&#39;)`<br>

And about pinning experimental with a low priority...<br>

And also:<br>

Do you feel that &quot;Plasma 5.21.4&quot; is working better when with &quot;Frameworks <br>
    5.81.0&quot;?<br>

Or that, if I&#39;m satisfied with Plasma-5.21.4, I shouldn&#39;t bother with <br>
    Framework-5.81.0?<br>

(Satisfied here is more a question of &quot;how much&quot; than of &quot;yes or no&quot;. Certainly <br>
    there are plenty of things that are not performing the way they should. But <br>
    the feeling is that Wayland is more stable, more robust, faster: better in <br> every way that really matter. And no, the bells and whistles are not there <br> yet. And plenty of small things are crashing, but the desktop itself seems <br> dependable. And if something is not working with Wayland, you can expect <br> there&#39;ll be a fix someday.)<br>

Anyway:<br>

How do you manage installs and upgrades related to Experimental Framework and <br>
    Plasma?<br>

What is you level of satisfaction about it?<br>

Are you planing to keep on using them, until they come to unstable in a <br> distant future?<br>

I don&#39;t suppose you are usually using experimental as your regular debian <br>
    source?<br>

Thanks,<br>
    Chris<br>

</blockquote></div><br clear="all"><br>-- <br><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature">Luc Castermans<br>mailto:<a href="mailto:luc.castermans@gmail.com" target="_blank">luc.castermans@gmail.com</a></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From inkbottle@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 10 18:10:01 2021
    Hi all,

I've upgraded to Frameworks 5.82.0-1.

Below an edited transcript of what went well and what didn't.

Your suggestions about the right way to do it are welcome.

Chris

<Alice> 5.82.0-1: apt update; apt -t unstable dist-upgrade; apt install -t experimental plasma-desktop plasma-framework
    <Alice> First run didn't work: plasmashell 100% cpu forever, had to reboot. <Alice> Second run seems okay.
    <Bob> Do you have mixed versions?
    <Bob> I'm not sure whether that upgraded all packages to 5.21.5 or 5.82
    <Bob> Assuming you have the latest Plasma 5.21.5 installed, make sure no
    5.21.4 packages are left: `dpkg -l | grep 5.21.4`
    <Bob> Similarly for the frameworks.
    <Alice> dpkg -l | grep -F "5.21.4" | wc -l ==> 72; dpkg -l | grep -F "5.21.5"
    | wc -l ==> 13
    <Alice> What did I do wrong?
    <Bob> Upgrading one package to 5.21.5 does not automatically upgrade all others.
    <Alice> So you would recommend this sort of command? `apt install -t experimental $( dpkg -l | grep 5.20.5 | awk '/^ii/ {print $2}' )`
    <Bob> It's the easiest for me. When you run stable/testing/unstable, you don't have this problem, because we usually upload all packages at once and everything will then be upgraded.
    <Alice> First thing would then be: `apt install -t experimental $( dpkg -l | grep 5.21.4 | awk '/^ii/ {print $2}' )`
    <Alice> Running now the above line
    <Alice> dpkg -l | grep -F "5.21.4" | wc -l ==> 0
    <Alice> dpkg -l | grep -F "5.21" | grep -v -F "5.21.5" ==> two packages with version numbers 5.212.0~alpha4-11 => unrelated
    <Bob> Sounds good.
    <Alice> Now verifying for framework
    <Alice> dpkg -l | grep -F "5.78" | wc -l ==> 119
    <Alice> dpkg -l | grep -F "5.78" | egrep -v 'libkf5|qml-mod' ==> it's all KDE stuff
    <Alice> apt install -t experimental $( dpkg -l | grep -F "5.78.0" | awk '/^ii/ {print $2}' )
    <Alice> dpkg -l | egrep "5\.(78|79|80|81)" | wc -l ==> 0
    <Alice> I should reboot now.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Luc Castermans@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 10 19:20:01 2021
    hi,

I upgraded earlier today. I observed no issues during and after upgrade.

Thanks!

Luc

Op ma 10 mei 2021 18:06 schreef inkbottle <inkbottle007@gmail.com>:

Hi all,

Chris

<Alice> 5.82.0-1: apt update; apt -t unstable dist-upgrade; apt install -t experimental plasma-desktop plasma-framework
    <Alice> First run didn't work: plasmashell 100% cpu forever, had to reboot. <Alice> Second run seems okay.
    <Bob> Assuming you have the latest Plasma 5.21.5 installed, make sure no 5.21.4 packages are left: `dpkg -l | grep 5.21.4`
    <Alice> dpkg -l | grep -F "5.21.4" | wc -l ==> 72; dpkg -l | grep -F
    "5.21.5"
    | wc -l ==> 13
    <Bob> Upgrading one package to 5.21.5 does not automatically upgrade all others.
    <Alice> So you would recommend this sort of command? `apt install -t experimental $( dpkg -l | grep 5.20.5 | awk '/^ii/ {print $2}' )`
    <Bob> It's the easiest for me. When you run stable/testing/unstable, you don't
    have this problem, because we usually upload all packages at once and everything will then be upgraded.
    <Alice> First thing would then be: `apt install -t experimental $( dpkg -l
    |
    grep 5.21.4 | awk '/^ii/ {print $2}' )`
    <Alice> dpkg -l | grep -F "5.21" | grep -v -F "5.21.5" ==> two packages
    with
    version numbers 5.212.0~alpha4-11 => unrelated
    <Bob> Sounds good.
    <Alice> dpkg -l | grep -F "5.78" | egrep -v 'libkf5|qml-mod' ==> it's all
    KDE
    stuff
    <Alice> apt install -t experimental $( dpkg -l | grep -F "5.78.0" | awk '/^ii/
    {print $2}' )

<div dir="auto">hi,<div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">I upgraded earlier today.  I observed no issues during and after upgrade. </div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Thanks!</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Luc</div></div>
    <br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">Op ma 10 mei 2021 18:06 schreef inkbottle &lt;<a href="mailto:inkbottle007@gmail.com">inkbottle007@gmail.com</a>&gt;:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-
    left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi all,<br>

I&#39;ve upgraded to Frameworks 5.82.0-1.<br>

Below an edited transcript of what went well and what didn&#39;t.<br>

Your suggestions about the right way to do it are welcome.<br>

Chris<br>

&lt;Alice&gt; 5.82.0-1: apt update; apt -t unstable dist-upgrade; apt install -t <br>
    experimental plasma-desktop plasma-framework<br>
    &lt;Alice&gt; First run didn&#39;t work: plasmashell 100% cpu forever, had to reboot.<br>
    &lt;Alice&gt; Second run seems okay.<br>
    &lt;Bob&gt; Do you have mixed versions?<br>
    &lt;Bob&gt; I&#39;m not sure whether that upgraded all packages to 5.21.5 or 5.82<br>
    &lt;Bob&gt; Assuming you have the latest Plasma 5.21.5 installed, make sure no <br>
    5.21.4 packages are left: `dpkg -l | grep 5.21.4`<br>
    &lt;Bob&gt; Similarly for the frameworks.<br>
    &lt;Alice&gt; dpkg -l | grep -F &quot;5.21.4&quot; | wc -l ==&gt; 72; dpkg -l | grep -F &quot;5.21.5&quot; <br>
    | wc -l ==&gt; 13<br>
    &lt;Alice&gt; What did I do wrong?<br>
    &lt;Bob&gt; Upgrading one package to 5.21.5 does not automatically upgrade all <br>
    others.<br>
    &lt;Alice&gt; So you would recommend this sort of command? `apt install -t <br> experimental $( dpkg -l | grep 5.20.5 | awk &#39;/^ii/ {print $2}&#39; )`<br> &lt;Bob&gt; It&#39;s the easiest for me. When you run stable/testing/unstable, you don&#39;t <br>
    have this problem, because we usually upload all packages at once and <br> everything will then be upgraded.<br>
    &lt;Alice&gt; First thing would then be: `apt install -t experimental $( dpkg -l | <br>
    grep 5.21.4 | awk &#39;/^ii/ {print $2}&#39; )`<br>
    &lt;Alice&gt; Running now the above line<br>
    &lt;Alice&gt; dpkg -l | grep -F &quot;5.21.4&quot; | wc -l ==&gt; 0<br> &lt;Alice&gt; dpkg -l | grep -F &quot;5.21&quot; | grep -v -F &quot;5.21.5&quot;  ==&gt; two packages with <br>
    version numbers 5.212.0~alpha4-11 =&gt; unrelated<br>
    &lt;Bob&gt; Sounds good.<br>
    &lt;Alice&gt; Now verifying for framework<br>
    &lt;Alice&gt; dpkg -l | grep -F &quot;5.78&quot; | wc -l ==&gt; 119<br> &lt;Alice&gt; dpkg -l | grep -F &quot;5.78&quot; | egrep -v &#39;libkf5|qml-mod&#39; ==&gt; it&#39;s all KDE <br>
    stuff<br>
    &lt;Alice&gt; apt install -t experimental $( dpkg -l | grep -F &quot;5.78.0&quot; | awk &#39;/^ii/ <br>
    {print $2}&#39; )<br>
    &lt;Alice&gt; dpkg -l | egrep &quot;5\.(78|79|80|81)&quot; | wc -l ==&gt; 0<br> &lt;Alice&gt; I should reboot now.<br>

</blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From inkbottle@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 10 21:20:02 2021
    On Monday, May 10, 2021 7:13:11 PM CEST Luc Castermans wrote:
    hi,

Can you say what specific command line(s) you are using for the experimental part of the upgrade.

Thanks!

Luc

Hi all,

Chris

<Alice> First run didn't work: plasmashell 100% cpu forever, had to
    reboot.
    <Alice> Second run seems okay.
    <Bob> I'm not sure whether that upgraded all packages to 5.21.5 or 5.82 <Bob> Assuming you have the latest Plasma 5.21.5 installed, make sure no 5.21.4 packages are left: `dpkg -l | grep 5.21.4`
    <Alice> dpkg -l | grep -F "5.21.4" | wc -l ==> 72; dpkg -l | grep -F "5.21.5"

| wc -l ==> 13

<Bob> It's the easiest for me. When you run stable/testing/unstable, you don't
    have this problem, because we usually upload all packages at once and everything will then be upgraded.
    <Alice> First thing would then be: `apt install -t experimental $( dpkg -l

<Alice> dpkg -l | grep -F "5.21" | grep -v -F "5.21.5" ==> two packages with
    <Bob> Sounds good.
    <Alice> dpkg -l | grep -F "5.78" | egrep -v 'libkf5|qml-mod' ==> it's all KDE
    stuff
    <Alice> apt install -t experimental $( dpkg -l | grep -F "5.78.0" | awk '/^ii/
    {print $2}' )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Luc Castermans@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 11 08:00:01 2021
    so I used below, with XY the version installed at present:

apt install -t experimental `dpkg -l | fgrep 5.XY | awk '{print $2}'`

Regards,

Luc

Op 10-05-2021 om 21:14 schreef inkbottle:
    hi,

Can you say what specific command line(s) you are using for the experimental part of the upgrade.

Thanks!

Luc

Hi all,

Chris

<Alice> 5.82.0-1: apt update; apt -t unstable dist-upgrade; apt install -t >>> experimental plasma-desktop plasma-framework
    reboot.
    <Bob> Assuming you have the latest Plasma 5.21.5 installed, make sure no >>> 5.21.4 packages are left: `dpkg -l | grep 5.21.4`
    "5.21.5"

| wc -l ==> 13

<Bob> Upgrading one package to 5.21.5 does not automatically upgrade all >>> others.
    <Alice> So you would recommend this sort of command? `apt install -t
    experimental $( dpkg -l | grep 5.20.5 | awk '/^ii/ {print $2}' )`
    <Bob> It's the easiest for me. When you run stable/testing/unstable, you >>> don't
    have this problem, because we usually upload all packages at once and
    everything will then be upgraded.
    <Alice> First thing would then be: `apt install -t experimental $( dpkg -l >>>
    <Alice> dpkg -l | grep -F "5.21" | grep -v -F "5.21.5" ==> two packages >>> with
    <Bob> Sounds good.
    <Alice> dpkg -l | grep -F "5.78" | egrep -v 'libkf5|qml-mod' ==> it's all >>> KDE
    stuff
    <Alice> apt install -t experimental $( dpkg -l | grep -F "5.78.0" | awk
    '/^ii/
    {print $2}' )

--

m.vr.gr.

Luc Castermans

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From inkbottle@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 11 15:50:02 2021
    On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 7:56:01 AM CEST Luc Castermans wrote:
    so I used below, with XY the version installed at present:

apt install -t experimental `dpkg -l | fgrep 5.XY | awk '{print $2}'`

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Luc

Op 10-05-2021 om 21:14 schreef inkbottle:
    hi,

Thanks!

Luc

Hi all,

Chris

<Alice> 5.82.0-1: apt update; apt -t unstable dist-upgrade; apt install >>> -t
    experimental plasma-desktop plasma-framework
    reboot.
    <Bob> I'm not sure whether that upgraded all packages to 5.21.5 or 5.82 >>> <Bob> Assuming you have the latest Plasma 5.21.5 installed, make sure no >>> 5.21.4 packages are left: `dpkg -l | grep 5.21.4`
    "5.21.5"

| wc -l ==> 13

<Bob> Upgrading one package to 5.21.5 does not automatically upgrade all >>> others.
    <Alice> So you would recommend this sort of command? `apt install -t
    experimental $( dpkg -l | grep 5.20.5 | awk '/^ii/ {print $2}' )`
    <Bob> It's the easiest for me. When you run stable/testing/unstable, you >>> don't
    have this problem, because we usually upload all packages at once and
    everything will then be upgraded.
    <Alice> First thing would then be: `apt install -t experimental $( dpkg >>> -l

<Alice> dpkg -l | grep -F "5.21" | grep -v -F "5.21.5" ==> two packages >>> with
    <Bob> Sounds good.
    <Alice> dpkg -l | grep -F "5.78" | egrep -v 'libkf5|qml-mod' ==> it's
    all
    KDE
    stuff
    <Alice> apt install -t experimental $( dpkg -l | grep -F "5.78.0" | awk >>> '/^ii/
    {print $2}' )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05