• Screen randomly wakes up from standby / energy saving mode

From =?UTF-8?Q?Daniel_Schr=C3=B6ter?=@21:1/5 to inkbottle on Sat Mar 20 13:10:01 2021
    inkbottle schrieb am Mittwoch, 26. Februar 2020 um 17:20:03 UTC+1:
    My screen randomly wakes up from standby

I have the same problem. It seems to happen since one oft the last upgrades. I'm running KDE from unstable (5.20.5).

One monitor went to sleep (and stands there) fine. The other monitor wakes up every minute. No logs in journalctl or dbus-monitor.

I also tried it with a new profile (other user). I already replaced the displayport cable.

In sddm it works fine. But if I start "real" KDE it wakes up every minute randomly.

If I do
    xrandr --output DP-1 --off
    the monitor went to sleep and stays in sleep mode. After KDE(?) sends sleep to the monitor (after 10 minutes inactivity) the problematic monitor wakes up from sleep again :-(

Any ideas to debug this?

Bye

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Norbert Preining@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 20 13:30:01 2021
    Hi Daniel,

Which GPU are you using?

With AMDs this is a known problem and ignored since years by upstream developers.

Best

Norbert
    --
    PREINING Norbert                              https://www.preining.info
    Fujitsu Research Labs + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + TeX Live + Debian Dev
    GPG: 0x860CDC13   fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13

Mar 20, 2021 21:06:15 Daniel Schröter <zwierbel78@hotmail.com>:

I have the same problem. It seems to happen since one oft the last upgrades. I'm running KDE from unstable (5.20.5).

One monitor went to sleep (and stands there) fine. The other monitor wakes up every minute. No logs in journalctl or dbus-monitor.

I also tried it with a new profile (other user). I already replaced the displayport cable.

In sddm it works fine. But if I start "real" KDE it wakes up every minute randomly.

If I do
    the monitor went to sleep and stays in sleep mode. After KDE(?) sends sleep to the
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Daniel_Schr=C3=B6ter?=@21:1/5 to Norbert Preining on Sat Mar 20 15:20:02 2021
    Hello Norbert,

Norbert Preining schrieb am Samstag, 20. März 2021 um 13:30:03 UTC+1:
    Which GPU are you using?

It's not an AMD GPU. Old onboard Intel
    # inxi -G
    Graphics: Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915
    v: kernel
    Display: server: X.org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: modesetting tty: 103x55
    Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console for root.
    # lsgpu
    sys:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0
    subsystem : drm
    drm card : /dev/dri/card0
    parent : sys:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0

sys:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/renderD128
    subsystem : drm
    drm render : /dev/dri/renderD128
    parent : sys:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0

sys:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0
    subsystem : pci
    drm card : /dev/dri/card0
    drm render : /dev/dri/renderD128
    vendor : 8086
    device : 0412
    # lscpu |grep "Model name"
    Model name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz

As mentioned already it has been working in the past and just occurs if KDE has been loaded.

Bye

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From inkbottle@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 20 16:50:01 2021
    On Saturday, March 20, 2021 12:46:00 PM CET Daniel Schröter wrote:

One monitor went to sleep (and stands there) fine. The other monitor wakes
    up every minute. No logs in journalctl or dbus-monitor.

If I do
    the monitor went to sleep and stays in sleep mode. After KDE(?) sends sleep to the monitor (after 10 minutes inactivity) the problematic monitor wakes
    up from sleep again :-(

Any ideas to debug this?

Your analysis of KDE waking up the monitor by sending a sleep signal is interesting. (I don't know how you figured that out.)

At one point I understood that `dpms` was buggy. That `kwin` had difficulties communicating with `dmps` for intrinsic reasons, and that it will never be fixed anyway, nor even investigated, because `xorg` isn't developed any longer.
    I don't remember what exactly made me believe that in the first place.

Consequently I endeavored to see what could be done with `wayland`.

I found out that a command that shows how the kernel see the monitor, `drm_info`, invariably returns correct information, unless `kwin` is running, in which case those data became preposterous, wrong. Just as if it is the whole `kwin` stake that might have issues. Again it is the layman view, I'm probably completely mistaken. However it does work quite all right with gnome/ wayland if I remember correctly.

Here, what I found about that at the time: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=404092
    (I'm not sure nobody ever read what I wrote. They must have a lot on their plate.)

At one point I did use that sort of command:
    `while true; do xset dpms 10 10 10; sleep 10; xset dpms force off; sleep 600; done`

But it wasn't working very well neither, as if something was messing around with it in the background, and even though it did seem bullet proof, the monitor always manage to wake up now and then, only for a short time, which was resulting in a sort of very slow flickering, not sure it's good for the monitor.

Sooo, what I do now: I turn the computer off!

Oh, yes, turning the monitor off wouldn't do it, it would put such a mess, it'd
    take me like 30 min, to fix it when turning it back on.

Bye

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Booksworm@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 2 10:20:01 2021
    UNSUBSCRIBE

Il giorno mer 26 feb 2020 alle ore 17:18 inkbottle <inkbottle007@gmail.com>
    ha scritto:

*Intro:*

My screen randomly wakes up from standby / energy saving mode and it's a
    very
    very very annoying issue which cause I unfortunately have not the faintest clue about.

It is not something I can reproduce, so the best I can do is a sort of
    "case
    report".

*What happened:*

The screen woke up from energy saving mode all by itself.
    I just had done an upgrade, so the system was up to date.
    I had rebooted twice.

The screen initially went in energy saving mode from sddm: there were no active session. I think there even have been no session between last
    reboot
    and screen-standby.

Nobody was near the computer, and there was no earthquake at that time,
    nor
    any source of vibrations (note that I did try with mouses unplugged and
    that
    it made no difference).

I took note of the time on my phone.
    When later I looked into "journalctl -a", there was no recorded events
    around
    the time of the incident. Not a line has been written in journalctl at or around that time. (My journalctl is on keep everything forever mode.)

*The general setting:*

It is an external screen connected to a lid-closed laptop through display port
    (Lenovo x230, intel integrated gpu; Monitor is 4K Dell; Connection is
    Display
    Port).

I don't see anything else specific about it. I try never to do anything
    fancy
    with admin.

*Why is it so annoying:*

It is a huge distraction when the screen is turning on all by itself randomly.

Due to the settings described above, I cannot turn the screen off using
    the
    physical button.

My primary screen is the external screen. The lid of the laptop being
    closed,
    the screen of the laptop is altogether deactivated.

This is the configuration recorded in settings and it works well.

Now if I turn the external display off with the physical button:
    The above configuration is becoming unrealistic.
    Consequently the system has to go to a default realistic configuration,
    which
    it does very well: The laptop's screen becomes the primary display...
    But that changes all the settings.

And since there is no different settings for different screens configurations,
    my settings are necessarily just ditched away.

It would be too long to describe all the settings that are lost during
    this
    phase.

With a 4K monitor on a 3rd generation i5, the gpu is already to the limit
    of
    what it can do. I "could" keep the lid of the laptop open, and the laptop screen not disabled, etc. But that would take more place on my desk, put additional strain on the system.

As a consequence of all that, all I can do is turn the computer off.
    And with the lid closed and all that, the whole sequence is something very difficult to do.

<div dir="ltr">UNSUBSCRIBE<br></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">Il giorno mer 26 feb 2020 alle ore 17:18 inkbottle &lt;<a href="mailto:inkbottle007@gmail.com">inkbottle007@gmail.com</a>&gt; ha scritto:<br></div><
    blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">*Intro:*<br>

My screen randomly wakes up from standby / energy saving mode and it&#39;s a very <br>
    very very annoying issue which cause I unfortunately have not the faintest <br> clue about.<br>

It is not something I can reproduce, so the best I can do is a sort of &quot;case <br>
    report&quot;.<br>

*What happened:*<br>

The screen woke up from energy saving mode all by itself.<br>
    I just had done an upgrade, so the system was up to date.<br>
    I had rebooted twice.<br>

The screen initially went in energy saving mode from sddm: there were no <br> active session. I think there even have been no session between last reboot <br>
    and screen-standby.<br>

Nobody was near the computer, and there was no earthquake at that time, nor <br>
    any source of vibrations (note that I did try with mouses unplugged and that <br>
    it made no difference).<br>

I took note of the time on my phone.<br>
    When later I looked into &quot;journalctl -a&quot;, there was no recorded events around <br>
    the time of the incident. Not a line has been written in journalctl at or <br> around that time. (My journalctl is on keep everything forever mode.)<br>

*The general setting:*<br>

It is an external screen connected to a lid-closed laptop through display port <br>
    (Lenovo x230, intel integrated gpu; Monitor is 4K Dell; Connection is Display <br>
    Port).<br>

I don&#39;t see anything else specific about it. I try never to do anything fancy <br>
    with admin.<br>

*Why is it so annoying:*<br>

It is a huge distraction when the screen is turning on all by itself randomly.<br>

Due to the settings described above, I cannot turn the screen off using the <br>
    physical button.<br>

My primary screen is the external screen. The lid of the laptop being closed, <br>
    the screen of the laptop is altogether deactivated.<br>

This is the configuration recorded in settings and it works well.<br>

Now if I turn the external display off with the physical button:<br>
    The above configuration is becoming unrealistic.<br>
    Consequently the system has to go to a default realistic configuration, which <br>
    it does very well: The laptop&#39;s screen becomes the primary display...<br> But that changes all the settings.<br>

And since there is no different settings for different screens configurations, <br>
    my settings are necessarily just ditched away.<br>

It would be too long to describe all the settings that are lost during this <br>
    phase.<br>

With a 4K monitor on a 3rd generation i5, the gpu is already to the limit of <br>
    what it can do. I &quot;could&quot; keep the lid of the laptop open, and the laptop <br>
    screen not disabled, etc. But that would take more place on my desk, put <br> additional strain on the system.<br>

As a consequence of all that, all I can do is turn the computer off.<br>
    And with the lid closed and all that, the whole sequence is something very <br> difficult to do.<br>

</blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05