• Re: Bug#995235: debian-installer-11-netboot-arm64: debian installer liv

From Andrew M.A. Cater@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 28 21:00:02 2021
    On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 12:30:09PM +0000, r wrote:
    Package: debian-installer-11-netboot-arm64
    Severity: important

Dear Reader,

0 The troubles happen on a new and empty machine (specially bought for Debian)
    :
    - Intel Core i3-10100
    - Gigabyte B560 HD3
    - Kingston Fury beast 16 Go
    - Crucial P2 M.2 PCIe NVMe 500 Go (SSD)

1 I download debian-live-11.0.0-amd64-gnome.iso, put it on a key and execute the whole graphical installation.
    It works fine but when the machine starts to reboot
    - few lines appear very very fast (RAM something, processor something ...) and
    then
    - black screen with only a cursor in the top left quarter for 2 seconds and then
    - back to bios where I see the ssd disk with the right name, manually exit and
    then
    - few lines appear ...
    - black screen ...
    and again and again
    The only possibility was to power off.

2 I download debian-11.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso, put it on a key ..
    It works fine but ...
    Same story as 1.
    I install 2 other times but the result remains the same.

3 I use reportbug (#995089) but not knowing the name of the package the answer
    starts with "There is no such package in Debian".
    The suggestion is to use an installer containing firmware.

4 I download firmware-11.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso an start graphical installation.
    Things start the right way but the mirror gets slower and slower and completely
    stops to send files.
    I wait 2 hours but nothing happens.
    I power off the modem and disconnect the cable of the machine.
    The screen offers no possibility to stop the running operation so I can only power off the machine.

5 Then modem on, cable connected, key always in its proper place, machine on - first of all, very fast on black screen something like "hardware error cpu machine check" and 3 or 4 other lines talking about hardware
    - bios, key was always selected
    - installing starts but is not able to deal with dhcp
    - many tries (even debian-live-11.0.0-amd64-gnome.iso again) but the installer
    does not see the network card anymore
    - the bios sees the card, so it looks like installer and card don't like each other

When the key is in its place I found that there is a little console (Nano) but
    I don't know what to do with it (reach logs, clean, ...)
    I have the datasheet of each component.

Programmer during the last 35 years (tons of SQL on W machines), but new in Debian (04/2021, Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) on a W7 existing machine).
    I want to stay in this free software and try to help (Diversité et équité).

Many thanks
    Renaud Roche (Marseille France)

Hello Renaud,

Can I suggest first that you again try Debian 11 - "Bullseye" since this was released on 14th July 2021. The release notes suggest to start with the unofficial firmware .iso file if there is a problem with WiFi/graphics hardware.

Debian 11 is also two years newer than Debian 10 - a new kernel, up to date software and the likelihood of supporting new hardware better.

Try

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/11.0.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-11.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso

If you still have difficulties, I suggest that you should try the text only install
    and also that you try first by not installing any desktop environment.

It may depend on the make and model of your graphics card as much as anything else: if you do manage to get something installed, the output of the lspci command might also help.

By installing to text only first, it eliminates some of the problems of possible incorrect selection of video drivers. Especially for NVidia, it
    helps to install the proprietary drivers (if used) _before_ installing a desktop environment.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater

-- System Information:
    Debian Release: 10.10
    APT prefers oldstable-updates
    APT policy: (500, 'oldstable-updates'), (500, 'oldstable')
    Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 4.19.0-17-686 (SMP w/4 CPU cores)
    Locale: LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE=fr_FR.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
    Shell: /bin/sh linked to /usr/bin/dash
    Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)
    LSM: AppArmor: enabled

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)