• Launchpad: Merge of Accounts Requested

From Launchpad Account Merge@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 17 16:40:01 2024
    Hello

Launchpad: request to merge accounts
    ------------------------------------

Someone has asked us to merge one of your Launchpad
    accounts with another.

If you go ahead, this will merge the account called
    'Debian Python Modules Team (debian-python)' into the account 'johnfrandes12'.

To confirm you want to do this, please follow
    this link:

https://launchpad.net/token/89RvPls5JM344kqnp0qG

If you didn't ask to merge these accounts, please
    either ignore this email or report it to the
    Launchpad team: feedback@launchpad.net

You can read more about merging accounts in our
    help wiki:

https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/Merging

Thank you,

The Launchpad team
    https://launchpad.net

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Scott Kitterman@21:1/5 to Gregor Riepl on Sun Mar 17 22:10:02 2024
    On March 17, 2024 8:49:02 PM UTC, Gregor Riepl <onitake@gmail.com> wrote:
    accounts with another.

this link:

This looks extremely fishy - and I also wonder why someone used a public mailing list address to register a Launchpad account?

It's an automatically created account based on the maintainer address in imported packages. Nothing really related to us in Debian.

The account merger request was really from Launchpad. It was either fishy or a mistake. I declined it when I saw the message on the team's behalf.

Scott K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Joost van =?utf-8?Q?Baal-Ili=C4=87?@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 18 10:20:01 2024
    Hi Launchpad Team,

FYI: This message got delivered at the public mailing list debian-python@lists.debian.org. To me it looks like someone if trying to find a loophole in launchpad and plans to abuse the system.

Thanks, Bye,

Joost

Op Sun, Mar 17, 2024 at 03:04:25PM -0000 schreef Launchpad Account Merge:

Hello

Launchpad: request to merge accounts
    ------------------------------------

accounts with another.

this link:

<snip>

If you didn't ask to merge these accounts, please
    either ignore this email or report it to the
    Launchpad team: feedback@launchpad.net

You can read more about merging accounts in our
    help wiki:

https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/Merging

Thank you,

The Launchpad team
    https://launchpad.net

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Joost van =?utf-8?Q?Baal-Ili=C4=87?@21:1/5 to Launchpad Team on Mon Mar 18 10:20:01 2024
    hi debian-python@l.d.o,

Launchpad Team wrote:
    "Your ticket has been assigned an ID of [Launchpad Feedback #102774]. Please
    include the string:

[Launchpad Feedback #102774]

in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue."

HTH, Bye,

Joost

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dominik George@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 18 10:30:01 2024
    Hi,

FYI: This message got delivered at the public mailing list >debian-python@lists.debian.org. To me it looks like someone if trying to find >a loophole in launchpad and plans to abuse the system.

Thanks for reaching out to them.

While at it, I'd also question why Canonical is scraping public repositories and creating user accounts for the scraped addresses.

Yes, I know why they do it, but for me, it is another example of bad collaboration practice, on top of everything else to be said about Ubuntu (or more precisely, its owners).

It's also small things that impose burdens on others, and if they think they need to fork Debian, copy packages from it (to put behind a paywall afterwards), then they certainly could do that without spoofing Debian people and team addresses.

Disclaimer: I am assuming good faith in this specific case, but not in Canonical and Ubuntu in general.

-nik

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Kitterman@21:1/5 to Dominik George on Mon Mar 18 12:50:01 2024
    On March 18, 2024 9:19:21 AM UTC, Dominik George <natureshadow@debian.org> wrote:
    Hi,

FYI: This message got delivered at the public mailing list >>debian-python@lists.debian.org. To me it looks like someone if trying to find
    a loophole in launchpad and plans to abuse the system.

Thanks for reaching out to them.

While at it, I'd also question why Canonical is scraping public repositories and creating user accounts for the scraped addresses.

Yes, I know why they do it, but for me, it is another example of bad collaboration practice, on top of everything else to be said about Ubuntu (or more precisely, its owners).

It's also small things that impose burdens on others, and if they think they need to fork Debian, copy packages from it (to put behind a paywall afterwards), then they certainly could do that without spoofing Debian people and team addresses.

Disclaimer: I am assuming good faith in this specific case, but not in Canonical and Ubuntu in general.

It's not from scraping. It's from the maintainer field in packages that they import from Debian.

This probably isn't the place to have that argument. I have raised this with them before. The first time was probably over a decade ago.

Scott K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05