• Looking to help

From Joshua Brickel@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 4 04:50:01 2021
    Hi,

I am looking to see if I can help strengthen one area of the debian distribution. That is its ability to support mulit-seat environments. I
    have a computer with two video cards set up as a two seat system, but I am finding bullseye to be quite buggy with regards to multi-seat. I'm not
    sure if this is due to gnome or systemd/logind. But I would be happy to
    run tests and provide log files to help resolve these issues and try and determine what is going wrong. Issues I have found include:

When one seat is active (being used) but the other seat is left alone for
    long enough (timeout period) the system has a tendency to suspend,
    seemingly based on the seat not being used. I know gnome has gsd-power,
    but I think it interacts with logind on some level.

Sometimes the seat with two monitors keeps going blank/black on the screen,
    but any mouse or keyboard stroke seems to wake it up. This is even if the
    seat is being actively used.

When one logs in on the second seat, the first seat often is put into
    screen lock mode (if it is being actively used at the time).

If these issues are something your team would like to fix, or at least determine if they are really gnome issues, I would be happy to try and test ideas out for you, as well as take and send logs back. I am not a
    professional programmer, but I have done some light programming tasks throughout my career.

Let me know if I can be of any service to your team.

Regards,

Joshua

<div dir="ltr">Hi,<div><br></div><div>I am looking to see if I can help strengthen one area of the debian distribution.   That is its ability to support mulit-seat environments.  I have a computer with two video cards set up as a two seat system, but
    I am finding bullseye to be quite buggy with regards to multi-seat.  I&#39;m not sure if this is due to gnome or systemd/logind.  But I would be happy to run tests and provide log files to help resolve these issues and try and determine what is going
    wrong.  Issues I have found include:</div><div><br></div><div>When one seat is active (being used) but the other seat is left alone for long enough (timeout period) the system has a tendency to suspend, seemingly based on the seat not being used.  I
    know gnome has gsd-power, but I think it interacts with logind on some level.  </div><div><br></div><div>Sometimes the seat with two monitors keeps going blank/black on the screen, but any mouse or keyboard stroke seems to wake it up.  This is even
    if the seat is being actively used.</div><div><br></div><div>When one logs in on the second seat, the first seat often is put into screen lock mode (if it is being actively used at the time).  </div><div><br></div><div>If these issues are something
    your team would like to fix, or at least determine if they are really gnome issues, I would be happy to try and test ideas out for you, as well as take and send logs back.  I am not a professional programmer, but I have done some light programming
    tasks throughout my career.  </div><div><br></div><div>Let me know if I can be of any service to your team.</div><div><br></div><div>Regards,</div><div><br></div><div>Joshua</div><div><br></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jeremiah C. Foster@21:1/5 to Joshua Brickel on Wed May 5 04:00:01 2021
    On Mon, 2021-05-03 at 22:26 -0400, Joshua Brickel wrote:
    Hi,

I am looking to see if I can help strengthen one area of the debian distribution.  

Always great to see someone volunteer to help Debian. :-)

That is its ability to support mulit-seat environments.  I have a computer with two video cards set up as a two seat system, but I am
    finding bullseye to be quite buggy with regards to multi-seat.  I'm
    not sure if this is due to gnome or systemd/logind.  But I would be
    happy to run tests and provide log files to help resolve these issues
    and try and determine what is going wrong.  Issues I have found
    include:

When one seat is active (being used) but the other seat is left alone
    for long enough (timeout period) the system has a tendency to
    suspend, seemingly based on the seat not being used.  I know
    gnome has gsd-power, but I think it interacts with logind on some
    level.  

Sometimes the seat with two monitors keeps going blank/black on the
    screen, but any mouse or keyboard stroke seems to wake it up.  This
    is even if the seat is being actively used.

When one logs in on the second seat, the first seat often is put into
    screen lock mode (if it is being actively used at the time).  

If these issues are something your team would like to fix, or at
    least determine if they are really gnome issues, I would be happy to
    try and test ideas out for you, as well as take and send logs back. 
    I am not a professional programmer, but I have done some light
    programming tasks throughout my career.  

Let me know if I can be of any service to your team.

Do you think these issues should go to the debian-gtk-gnome team? Or
    should they go upstream to GNOME directly? Do you have any concrete
    error messages or log files that go with your issues? Those can be a
    useful source of information.

Regards,

Jeremiah

Regards,

Joshua

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQGzBAABCgAdFiEEBkkHqXr+u7OUqMKseFgrT+6RsjkFAmCR+XgACgkQeFgrT+6R sjkWNwwAis8ntcb2yUajGPYRsGdrhBTGBpg8qm6s5tH1x6efiDyBV79Yzbke/eNn qOZHIye7x3cSDN+arZcro5Cs2MaOrubzJOvrWAPBSKmHEYGyjgHyQYLNB5wFeU1R 4rSzqqvCINdACtXZXsfeaF68J8o6+Y+cxCDXWNlf9QAQsKt3hxRNNppEKvynfXT6 +uKG0J6+9/VKi0N0US54YwWpe9Ppbprm5ajJYZwEpNzcxOsuWnF/FbaG7akuvDTK aR/odbaGShLPBe3Qvl53WlcID7xP9D23P4GIRcXj9B4pD2qXAMnHmF9ASGreH8hd EJtJ0nWgMPik7op+aPH8ME/V2GJHhIKmw3f4ofbrfHbXiOb1LN54zCnAY5pQHMgp QnV82jqNL35m7b9Z8j+lANWjZbyezvM9YNapFzbd6wenuUpa+JH97FUD43Km05G6 /ScIhojpTEjjH74O7jcOxDi/MlZgSeVa3cP+6fVIhcRUBYeu9WdFfG3EUL98rj4V
    23OUdrb8
    =htAy
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)