• Thoughts about updating plays to a modern audience

From Anson Carmichael@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 3 17:29:32 2019
    Perhaps this is more commentary than a question, but it is in regards to
    the classic play "Doctor Faustus" by Christopher Marlowe and ponders the necessities of altering the original work to make it relevant to a
    modern audience...

Last year I saw the play "Faust" by a local theatre company. The play seems
    to be performed here and there on occasion, just not very often. The play is
    in iambic pentameter and the setting is around England in the 16th century, which is when it was written. Because of this, I understand the urge to
    update the play to the interests of a modern audience, but I wonder if rewriting a play works as often as people think.

In the performance I saw, the director took from Christopher Marlowe's
    play "Doctor Faustus" and, supposedly, mixed with Goethe's "Faust" to
    create something new. It certainly was "new", but I'm not sure how I feel
    about it.

In the original Marlowe version of Faust, Doctor Faustus sells his soul
    to the devil and dreams of changing the course of history with his new
    power. By the end of the play, however, he is reduced to performing
    magical amusements for the king and queen. Marlowe's point was that by
    selling his soul to the devil, Faustus was turning away from God, which
    in turn was the wellspring from which great accomplishments are achieved.
    Thus, Faustus begins the play as a great man of knowledge and by the end he
    is reduced to a kind of jester.

In the version of Faust by the local theatre company, Faust just rapes everybody. I mean that literally. Faust sells his soul to the devil and
    his first act thereafter is find a gambler who is willing to sell his
    daughter in exchange for winnings. Then he stops a wedding to kill the
    groom and rape the bride. After that, he kills a knight who is unimpressed
    with him and has sex with a queen while the king is given loads of gold. In between all of this, some characters (I assume they were the Seven Deadly
    Sins) come out and talk about how Faustus is damned for his actions.

This is very different from the Marlowe play. In the Marlowe play, Faustus shows off his power in the beginning but becomes more and more of a joke. Further, there are intermittent comedic scenes featuring Faustus' manservant who find's Faustus' book of magic and plays pranks with it on his friends.
    This meant as a comedic interlude between scenes of Faustus running around doing his thing. All of this is to show Faustus failing at his ambitions because of his erroneous assumption that gaining power would not change him.

As I mentioned before, I do understand the need to put a modern spin on an
    old story. This is especially true for stories written in an old style from
    so long ago. I feel in this case, however, the director destroyed the nuance
    of the original work and replaced it with something less nuanced and even approaching camp. At the end of the play, the song "Sympathy for the Devil"
    by the Rolling Stones came in over the speaker system. I just had to cringe
    and how clichéd that has become. It was just hitting all the obvious notes,
    if that makes sense. On the other hand, it did receive a number of
    nominations for the production, so perhaps I'm the one out-of-step with the audience rather than the director and theatre company.

Can anyone give any thoughts on this?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From bingo jones@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 12 14:42:48 2023
    Le 03/03/2019 à 13:29, Anson Carmichael a écrit :
    Perhaps this is more commentary than a question, but it is in regards to
    the classic play "Doctor Faustus" by Christopher Marlowe and ponders the necessities of altering the original work to make it relevant to a
    modern audience...

Last year I saw the play "Faust" by a local theatre company. The play seems to be performed here and there on occasion, just not very often. The play is in iambic pentameter and the setting is around England in the 16th century, which is when it was written. Because of this, I understand the urge to update the play to the interests of a modern audience, but I wonder if rewriting a play works as often as people think.

In the performance I saw, the director took from Christopher Marlowe's
    play "Doctor Faustus" and, supposedly, mixed with Goethe's "Faust" to
    create something new. It certainly was "new", but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

In the original Marlowe version of Faust, Doctor Faustus sells his soul
    to the devil and dreams of changing the course of history with his new
    power. By the end of the play, however, he is reduced to performing
    magical amusements for the king and queen. Marlowe's point was that by selling his soul to the devil, Faustus was turning away from God, which
    in turn was the wellspring from which great accomplishments are achieved. Thus, Faustus begins the play as a great man of knowledge and by the end he is reduced to a kind of jester.

In the version of Faust by the local theatre company, Faust just rapes everybody. I mean that literally. Faust sells his soul to the devil and
    his first act thereafter is find a gambler who is willing to sell his daughter in exchange for winnings. Then he stops a wedding to kill the
    groom and rape the bride. After that, he kills a knight who is unimpressed with him and has sex with a queen while the king is given loads of gold. In between all of this, some characters (I assume they were the Seven Deadly Sins) come out and talk about how Faustus is damned for his actions.

This is very different from the Marlowe play. In the Marlowe play, Faustus shows off his power in the beginning but becomes more and more of a joke. Further, there are intermittent comedic scenes featuring Faustus' manservant who find's Faustus' book of magic and plays pranks with it on his friends. This meant as a comedic interlude between scenes of Faustus running around doing his thing. All of this is to show Faustus failing at his ambitions because of his erroneous assumption that gaining power would not change him.

As I mentioned before, I do understand the need to put a modern spin on an old story. This is especially true for stories written in an old style from so long ago. I feel in this case, however, the director destroyed the nuance of the original work and replaced it with something less nuanced and even approaching camp. At the end of the play, the song "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones came in over the speaker system. I just had to cringe and how clichéd that has become. It was just hitting all the obvious notes, if that makes sense. On the other hand, it did receive a number of nominations for the production, so perhaps I'm the one out-of-step with the audience rather than the director and theatre company.

Can anyone give any thoughts on this?

Did anybody ever answer? i am sad to see the decline of usenet!!!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)