• Greek simplicity v Latin Clutter

From vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.co@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 2 04:35:05 2020
    Back in college, I often heard Greek simplicity contrasted to Latin clutter (mostly from WASPy faculty who fancied themsevles "parsimonious yankees"). I have subsequently gone back to look this up and only found it in Lang's Music History book. Wondering if someone might provide more extensive reading.
    Athos monastics can be pretty autarkic, but Greek culture has actually
    changed a lot since Nicholas Biddle visited Ottoman Greece. (It is an irony that occupied nations freeze their culture more than free ones.) In fact,
    the late Stockton NJ prof Constantelos had told me that the "west" tried to paganise post-1821 Greece to keep it from being to close to Russia and it wasn't until the 1912 liberation of Thessalonike (Univ refounded 1925, with
    an uncle of my mom's on the med fac) that Greece rediscovered its Byzantine past.

--
    Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
    blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
    facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com
    ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.co on Mon Nov 2 08:14:27 2020
    <vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com> wrote:
    Back in college, I often heard Greek simplicity contrasted to Latin clutter
    (mostly from WASPy faculty who fancied themsevles "parsimonious yankees"). I have subsequently gone back to look this up and only found it in Lang's Music History book. Wondering if someone might provide more extensive reading. Athos monastics can be pretty autarkic, but Greek culture has actually changed a lot since Nicholas Biddle visited Ottoman Greece. (It is an irony that occupied nations freeze their culture more than free ones.) In fact, the late Stockton NJ prof Constantelos had told me that the "west" tried to paganise post-1821 Greece to keep it from being to close to Russia and it wasn't until the 1912 liberation of Thessalonike (Univ refounded 1925, with an uncle of my mom's on the med fac) that Greece rediscovered its Byzantine past.

I studied Latin and Greek at university in Britain, but I never heard this.

If I were to look into it, it would be as a newboy, and hence not very
    helpful.
    All the best,
    --
    Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.co@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 10 20:33:50 2020
    *+-I studied Latin and Greek at university in Britain, but I never heard this.

Thanks. Exactly my state of enbafflement

--
    Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
    blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
    facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com
    ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05