• Don't find evidence of Shakespeare's Thanksgiving.

From bookburn@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 23 08:46:09 2022
    Yes, there are attempts to ring in references to "thanksgiving," etc., but no such holiday in Shakespeare, it seems.

Like to see someone put together a play about Shakespeare getting an invitation to a Thanksgiving dinner, where lots of circumstances and encounters are dramatized as the dinner date approaches, and Shakespeare must amuse himself with memories; maybe a
    play such as Dickens would be able to do. Could have favorite Shakespeare characters appear around the dinner table, like Tiny Tim and Bob Cratchet.

Such a scene would suit my hypotheses about re-creation.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Margaret@21:1/5 to bookburn on Thu Nov 24 00:52:17 2022
    On Wednesday, 23 November 2022 at 16:46:10 UTC, bookburn wrote:
    Yes, there are attempts to ring in references to "thanksgiving," etc., but no such holiday in Shakespeare, it seems.

Like to see someone put together a play about Shakespeare getting an invitation to a Thanksgiving dinner, where lots of circumstances and encounters are dramatized as the dinner date approaches, and Shakespeare must amuse himself with memories; maybe a
    play such as Dickens would be able to do. Could have favorite Shakespeare characters appear around the dinner table, like Tiny Tim and Bob Cratchet.

Shakespeare wrote his own Thanksgiving play, nine years before the Pilgrims landed. It's called The Tempest. His take is a bit like that other wise man, Jon Stewart's: "I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my
    neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land.”

This island's mine, by Sycorax my mother,
    Which thou takest from me. When thou camest first,
    Thou strokedst me and madest much of me, wouldst give me
    Water with berries in't, and teach me how
    To name the bigger light, and how the less,
    That burn by day and night: and then I loved thee
    And show'd thee all the qualities o' the isle,
    The fresh springs, brine-pits, barren place and fertile:
    Cursed be I that did so! All the charms
    Of Sycorax, toads, beetles, bats, light on you!
    For I am all the subjects that you have,
    Which first was mine own king: and here you sty me
    In this hard rock, whiles you do keep from me
    The rest o' the island.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John W Kennedy@21:1/5 to bookburn on Thu Nov 24 15:51:43 2022
    On 11/23/22 11:46 AM, bookburn wrote:

See “Harvest festival" in Wikipedia. As Jack Pumpkinhead put it,
    “...just the same, only...different.”

--
    John W. Kennedy
    Algernon Burbage, Lord Roderick, Father Martin, Bishop Baldwin,
    King Pellinore, Captain Bailey, Merlin -- A Kingdom for a Stage!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From marc hanson@21:1/5 to Margaret on Fri Nov 25 11:48:49 2022
    On Thursday, November 24, 2022 at 3:52:18 AM UTC-5, Margaret wrote:
    On Wednesday, 23 November 2022 at 16:46:10 UTC, bookburn wrote:

Like to see someone put together a play about Shakespeare getting an invitation to a Thanksgiving dinner, where lots of circumstances and encounters are dramatized as the dinner date approaches, and Shakespeare must amuse himself with memories; maybe
    a play such as Dickens would be able to do. Could have favorite Shakespeare characters appear around the dinner table, like Tiny Tim and Bob Cratchet.

Shakespeare wrote his own Thanksgiving play, nine years before the Pilgrims landed. It's called The Tempest. His take is a bit like that other wise man, Jon Stewart's: "I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my
    neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land.”

This island's mine, by Sycorax my mother,
    Which thou takest from me. When thou camest first,
    Thou strokedst me and madest much of me, wouldst give me
    Water with berries in't, and teach me how
    To name the bigger light, and how the less,
    That burn by day and night: and then I loved thee
    And show'd thee all the qualities o' the isle,
    The fresh springs, brine-pits, barren place and fertile:
    Cursed be I that did so! All the charms
    Of Sycorax, toads, beetles, bats, light on you!
    For I am all the subjects that you have,
    Which first was mine own king: and here you sty me
    In this hard rock, whiles you do keep from me
    The rest o' the island.
    Margaret,

i like your post

i'm currently mulling over the word civil, civility, civilization etc, in relation to today's world, with still so many dictator like leaders

[watched a version of Measure for Measure recently]

marc

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05