• Elizabethan Police State

From marc hanson@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 28 09:23:06 2022
    [the historian Michael Wood did a several hours long show on BBC,
    entitled In Search of Shakespeare]

near the beginning he says "...and the secret archives of English history...luckily for us Elizabethan England
    was a police state...it's spies recorded everything...through them we can trace Shakespeare's connections from Warwickshire to the wilds of Lancashire"

it seems to me,
    if there were some conspiracy, front man, real author etc, surrounding William Shakespeare, you might/would find something recorded in these archives

marc

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Margaret@21:1/5 to flm...@gmail.com on Fri Jul 29 00:19:51 2022
    On Thursday, 28 July 2022 at 17:23:07 UTC+1, flm...@gmail.com wrote:

near the beginning he says "...and the secret archives of English history...luckily for us Elizabethan England
    was a police state...it's spies recorded everything...through them we can trace
    Shakespeare's connections from Warwickshire to the wilds of Lancashire"

it seems to me,
    if there were some conspiracy, front man, real author etc, surrounding William Shakespeare, you might/would find something recorded in these archives

marc

It seems to me, the first time an actor in rehearsal said "Sorry Will, that bit where Hamlet unpacks his heart like a stallion - should that be scullion?" any such unlikely conspiracy would be blown wide open.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From marc hanson@21:1/5 to Margaret on Sat Jul 30 12:21:48 2022
    On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 3:19:53 AM UTC-4, Margaret wrote:
    On Thursday, 28 July 2022 at 17:23:07 UTC+1, flm...@gmail.com wrote:

was a police state...it's spies recorded everything...through them we can trace
    Shakespeare's connections from Warwickshire to the wilds of Lancashire"

it seems to me,

marc
    It seems to me, the first time an actor in rehearsal said "Sorry Will, that bit where Hamlet unpacks his heart like a stallion - should that be scullion?" any such unlikely conspiracy would be blown wide open.

good one,
    and i'm sure one could come up with similar incidents, where a "conspiracy" would be noticed, and talked about, and eventually written down somewhere

i think gossip is something like 2/3 of our talking

marc

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05