• *ANDREW WYSE* enters _II Henry IV_ & _Much Ado About Nothing_

From Arthur Neuendorffer@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 3 07:58:42 2021
    ---------------------------------------------------------------- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulke_Greville,_1st_Baron_Brooke

<<Fulke [GREVIL]le, 1st Baron Brooke, de jure 13th Baron Latimer and 5th Baron Willoughby de Broke KB PC, known before 1621 as Sir Fulke [GREVIL]le, was an Elizabethan poet, dramatist, and statesman who sat in the House of Commons at various times
    between 1581 and 1621, when he was raised to the peerage. Greville was a capable administrator who served the English Crown under Elizabeth I and James I as, successively, treasurer of the navy, chancellor of the exchequer, and commissioner of the
    Treasury, and who for his services was in 1621 made Baron Brooke, peer of the realm. Greville was granted Warwick Castle in 1604, making numerous improvements. Greville is best known today as the biographer of Sir Philip Sidney, and for his sober poetry,
    which presents dark, thoughtful and distinctly Calvinist views on art, literature, beauty and other philosophical matters.

In 1628 Greville was stabbed at his house in London by Ralph Haywood, a servant who believed that he had been cheated in his master's will. Haywood then turned the knife on himself. Greville's physicians treated his wounds by filling them with pig fat
    which turned rancid and infected the wounds, and he died in agony four weeks after the attack. His body was brought back to Warwick, and he was buried in the Collegiate Church of St Mary, Warwick, and on his tomb was inscribed the epitaph he had composed:
    . Folk Grevill
    . Servant to Queene Elizabeth
    . Conceller to King James
    . and Frend to Sir Philip Sidney.
    . Trophaeum Peccati.>>
    ------------------------------------------------------ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwick_Castle

<<Warwick Castle was originally built by William the Conqueror on a meander of the River Avon during 1068. The castle, as well as lands associated with the earldom, were granted to John Dudley with the second creation of the title the Earl of Warwick.
    When making his appeal for ownership of the castle Dudley said of the castle's condition: "... the castle of its self is not able to lodge a good baron with his train, for all the one side of the said castle with also the dungeon tower is clearly
    ruinated and down to the ground". Queen Elizabeth I visited the castle in 1566 during a tour of the country, and again in 1572 for four nights. A timber building was erected in the castle for her to stay in, and Ambrose Dudley, 3rd Earl of Warwick, left
    the castle to the Queen during her visits. When Ambrose Dudley died in 1590 the title of Earl of Warwick became extinct for the second time. In 1601 Sir Fulke Greville remarked that "the little stone building there was, mightily in decay ... so as in
    very short time there will be nothing left but a name of Warwick". Greville was granted Warwick Castle by King James I in 1604.>>
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------ https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A18762.0001.001/1:6?rgn=div1;view=fulltext ........................................................................
    . . . The Epitaph of the right honourable,
    . . . Lord Ambrose (DUDLEY) Erle of Warwic[K]e.

LEave off to write, spare speech a space, be [M]ute O muse of mine:
    Let blubring teares b{E}de[A]w thy face, O waile with weeping eyne:
    Th{E CO}u[R]se of life that drawes but breth, in doll{O}r a[L]l his dayes:
    Till hart stringes burst, till h[OWE]r of death, til pilgrim goes his wayes. ..............................................................
    . . . . . . . . . . . <= 36 =>
    . T h e E p i t a p h o .fthe r i .g h t .h. o n .o. u r a b l e L o r d A m
    . b r o s e D u d l e y .Erle o f (W A R .W. I C [K] e)L E a v e o f f t o w
    . r i t e s p a r e s p .eech a s .p a c .e. b e [M] u t e O m u s e o f m i
    . n e L e t b l u b r i .ngte a r .e s b {E} d e [A] w t h y f a c e O w a i.
    . l e w i t h w e e p i .ngey n e .T h {E C O} u [R] s e o f l i f e t h a t
    . d r a w e s b u t b r .ethi n d .o l l {O} r a [L] l h i s d a y e s T i l
    . l h a r t s t r i n g .esbu r s .t t i .l. l h [O W E] r o f d e a t h t i
    . l p i l g r i m g o e .shis w a .y e s. ..............................................................
    [K.MARLO/WE] 36 : Prob. ~ 1 in 300,000 ..............................................................
    . . . . . . . . (continued)
    Vaine pomp is but a puffe or toy, so is both rule and raigne:
    For all that heere we do enioy, is nought but woe and paine:
    Hast thou not seene the highest tree, receive his falling blowe?
    Death hath respect to no degree, when life from hence must goe.
    Satte Leyster not in Senate seate, as hye as man might clime?
    Was never heere, none halfe so great, nor happy in our time.
    Yet loe, a so daine leave he tooke, and went where God assignd:
    His Brother that like Mars did looke, a man of noble minde.
    Who all good men (D)id praise and love, is packt from us in poste:
    Thus when of for[C]e men m(U)st remoove, and world desires hi[M] most.
    His glasse is run, his date is (D)oone, [A]nd he must bid farwell:
    to all the pleasu[R]es under {S}unne, and a(L)l that heere do dwe[L]l.
    B{U}t Warwick that won great good wil{L}, t[O]o soon(E) was hastned hence:
    For W{A}rwick was *MOST WARLIKE* still, to s{T}and in r(I)ghtes defence. ......................................................................
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .<= 33 =>
    . m e n(D)i d p r a i s e a n d l o v e .i. s p a c k t f r o m u s i
    . n p o s t e T h u s w h e n o f f o r [C] e m e n m(U)s t r e m o o
    . v e a n d w o r l d d e s i r e s h i [M] m o s t H i s g l a s s e
    . i s r u n h i s d a t e i s(D)o o n e [A] n d h e m u s t b i d f a
    . r w e l l t o a l l t h e p l e a s u [R] e s u n d e r{S}u n n e a
    . n d a(L)l t h a t h e e r e d o d w e [L] l B{U}t W a r w i c k t h
    . a t w o n g r e a t g o o d w i l{L}t [O] o s o o n(E)w a s h a s t
    . n e d h e n c e F o r W{A}r w i c k w .a. s*M O S T W A R L I K E*s
    . t i l l t o s{T}a n d i n r(I)g h t e .s. d e f e n c e ...................................................................... [C.MARLO] 33
    . . . . *MOST WARLIKE*
    . . . . . {anagram}
    . . . . *KIT MARLOWE'S* .........................................................
    . . . . . . . . . <= 28 =>
    . g o o d m e n(D)i d p r a i s e a n d l o v e i s p a c
    . k t f r o m u s i n p o s t e T h u s w h e n o f f o r
    .[C]e m e n m(U)s t r e m o o v e a n d w o r l d d e s i
    . r e s h i[M]m o s t H i s g l a s s e i s r u n h i s d
    . a t e i s(D)o o n e[A]n d h e m u s t b i d f a r w e l
    . l t o a l l t h e p l e a s u[R]e s u n d e r{S}u n n e
    . a n d a(L)l t h a t h e e r e d o d w e[L]l B{U}t W a r
    . w i c k t h a t w o n g r e a t g o o d w i l{L}t[O]o s
    . o o n(E)w a s h a s t n e d h e n c e F o r W{A}r w i c
    . k w a s*M O S T W A R L I K E*s t i l l t o s{T}a n d i
    . n r(I)g h t e s d e f e n c e ..........................................................
    {TALUS}. -28
    (DUDLEI). 55 : Prob. ~ 1 in 1150 -------------------------------------------------------------
    . . . Coriolanus (Folio 1, 1623) Act 4, scene 3
    Roman: There hath beene in Rome *STRAUNGE* Insurrections:
    . The people, against the Senatours, Patricians, and Nobles.
    Volce: Hath bin; is it ended then? Our State thinks not
    . so, they are in a *MOST WARLIKE* preparation, & hope to com
    . vpon them, in the heate of their diuision ...................................................
    . . . . *MOST WARLIKE*
    . . . . . {anagram}
    . . . . *KIT MARLOWE'S*
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Unsigned poem in Benson's 1640 Sonnets edition: ............................................
    . An Elegie on the death of that
    . famous Writer and Actor,
    . M. William Shakspeare.
    . I Dare not doe thy Memory that wrong,
    . Vnto our larger? griefes to give a *TONGUE*;
    . Ile onely sigh in earnest, and let fall
    . My s[O]lemne teares at thy great Funera[L]l;
    . For EVERy eye that raines a show[R]e for thee,
    . Laments thy losse in a s[A]d Elegie.
    . Nor is it fit each humble [M]use should have,
    . Thy worth his subject, now th'art laid in grave;
    . No its a flight beyond the pitch of those,
    . Whose worthles Pamphlets are not sence in Prose. ............................................................
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . <= 28 =>
    . a n d l e t f a l l M y s [O] l e m n e t e a r e s a t t
    . h y g r e a t F u n e r a [L] l;F o r e v e r y e y e t h
    . a t r a i n e s a s h o w [R] e f o r t h e e,L a m e n t
    . s t h y l o s s e i n a s [A] d E l e g i e.N o r i s i t
    . f i t e a c h h u m b l e [M] u s e s h o u l d h a v e,T
    . h y w o r t h h i s s u b .j. e c t,n o w t h'a r t l a i
    . d i n g r a v e;
    [MARLO] -28
    ............................................ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWyGdkLYwoI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMiqs7xi5uw ------------------------------------------------------------------ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamburlaine

<<*TAMBURLAINE* the Great is a play in 2 parts by Kit MARLOWE.
    It is loosely based on the life of the Central Asian emperor,
    . . . Timur (*TAMBURLAINE*/Timur the Lame, d. 1405).

. In Part 2, *TAMBURLAINE* forces the defeated kings to
    . .pull his chariot to his next battlefield, declaring,

. . . *Holla ye pampered jades of Asia!
    . . What, can ye draw but twenty miles a day?*

Upon reaching Babylon, which holds out against him, Tamburlaine displays further acts of extravagant savagery. When the Governor of the city attempts to save his life in return for revealing the city treasury, Tamburlaine has him hung from the city walls
    and shot. He orders the inhabitants — men, women, and children — bound and thrown into a nearby lake. Lastly, *TAMBURLAINE* scornfully burns a copy of the Qur'an and claims to be greater than God. In the final act, he is struck ill but manages to
    defeat one more foe before he dies. He bids his sons to conquer the remainder of the earth as he departs life.>>
    -------------------------------------------------------- http://www.montaguemillennium.com/familyresearch/crusaders.htm

<< " . the Knights (of Rhodes/St. John), having lost their
    stronghold to Timur the Lame (*TAMBURLAINE*) in 1402, were
    establishing a new base at the site of the ancient Halicarnassus
    and its famous Mausoleum, *STONE* which was used in the
    construction of the Christian fortress dedicated to *ST. PETER*.

The castle of *ST. PETER* provides a striking witness to English
    participation. Over the gateway to one of its towers, known
    as the English Tower, *26* coats of arms were set up in *STONE*,
    including *NEVILLE*, Percy, Holland, *BEAUCHAMP*, *BURLEIGH*,
    *STRANGE*, Arundel, MONTAGUE, *DE VERE* (& King *Henry IV*)>> ..........................................................
    <<[RICHARD d]e BEA[UCHAMP]:
    . appointed Freemason Grand {MASTER} by Edward IV.>> -----------------------------------------------------------------
    . . . . *Henry IV*, Part 2 (Quarto 1, 1600) II,iv
    Pistol: These be good humors indeede, shal pack-horses, and
    . *hol[LOW (p)AM(p)ER]d iades of Asia which cannot goe but thirtie
    . mile a day* , compare with Cæsars and with Canibals, and tro-
    . iant Greekes? nay rather damne them with King Cerberus, and
    . let the Welkin roare, shall we fall foule for toies? ..........................................................
    . . [LOW (p)AM(p)ER]
    . . .[MARLOWE (pp)]
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Dave Roper: "{SO TEST} Him, *I UOW* He Is Edward De Uere" .............................................................
    _______________ . . <= 34 =>

. H E N . R . Y. W R . . I . O T HE. SLEYEARLE ______... OF. SO U .T. HAMPTO. N ................................................................................
    . T E R . R . A. T E .. [G] .I T,PO. PULUSMÆRE ______... TO. LY M .P. USHABE. T
    ................................................................................
    . S T A . Y . P. A S .. [S] .E N GE. RWHYGOEST _ _ _ _ . TH. OV B (Y) SOFAST. R . E A D . I . F. T . (H)[O] .V C AN. STWHOM _ [E] .[N] .VIO. VS D (E) ATHHAT. H .*P L A. <S> .T* W . (I){T} <H{I}NT> HISMON _ [U] (M)[E] NT *SH A (K) SPEARE* W . I T. <H W H> . O . (M){E} .Q{U}IC. KNATVR _ [E D] (I)[D]E *WH O .S. ENAMED* O . T H D. <E> .C. K Y... {S} .T{O}MB. EFARMO _ [R E] t (H) E. NC O .S. TSIEHA. L . L Y T. <H> .E. H A-.. {T} .H{W}RI. TTLEAV _ [E]S. L. I. V. IN G .A. RTBVTP. A . G E T . O. .S. E R.... V. .E H IS. WITT .......................................................
    [{E}UERE][DE] 34
    {SO TEST} 34
    {I UOW} 34 : VOVERE: to *VOW, PROMISE, DEDICATE*

[E.UERE][DE] 34
    [SO TES(T)]. 34
    {I UOW}. . . 34 : VOVERE: to *VOW, PROMISE, DEDICATE*
    <HEWS>. . . -34 : Prob. in array ~ 1 in 127
    (KEY) . . . -34 : Prob. in array ~ 1 in 92 ---------------------------------------------------
    CALIBAN: I must *OBEY* : his art is of such power,
    . It would control my dam's god, [SET(eb)OS],
    . and make a vassal of him.
    ---------------------------------------------- https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=key

<<*KEY* (n) "instrument for opening locks," Middle English *KEIE*, perhaps it is related to Middle Low German *KEIE* "lance, *SPEAR*" on notion of "tool to cleave. literal and figurative ("solution, explanation, one who or that which opens the way or
    explains").>>
    ---------------------------------------------- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coats_of_arms_of_the_Holy_See_and_Vatican_City ...........................................
    Coat of arms of the Holy See with gold key in bend
    https://tinyurl.com/bv8n7dhk
    <<The coats of arms of the Holy See and Vatican City in the form that combines two crossed keys and a tiara used as a coat of arms of the Holy See have origins attested from the 14th century. For decades after the creation of the Vatican State, the
    arrangement of the keys in the Holy See's coat of arms as described in these sources distinguishes it from that of Vatican City State by a reversing of the gold and silver keys.

However, such form of the coat of arms has not been used by the Holy See for decades: in all official events and in the diplomatic missions of the Holy See abroad, it is always the regular Vatican City flag (with the gold key pointing upwards to the
    right and the silver key pointing upwards to the left) that is flown,[8][9][10][11][12][13] and the Vatican now only uses the Holy See's coat of arms in monochrome,[7] which renders it in practice one and the same as the coat of arms of Vatican City.
    Matthew 16:19 And I will giue vnto thee the *KEYES* of the kingdome of heauen: and whatsoeuer thou shalt bind on earth, shall be bound in heauen: whatsoeuer thou shalt loose on earth, shall be loosed in heauen.
    ----------------------------------------------
    https://tinyurl.com/5ryf94sf

Quartered arms of Sir Henry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton,

KG: Quarterly of four: Azure, a cross or between four hawks close argent (Wriothesley);
    2nd: Argent, a fret gules on a canton of the second a lion passant or (unknown);
    3rd: Argent, five fusils conjoined in pale gules a bordure azure bezantée (unknown);
    4th: Per pale indented gules and azure, a lion rampant or ------------------------------------------------------------ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Starkey

<<*Sir [OLIVER] STAR-KEY* (c.1523-83/86), was an English knight who lived in the 16th century. He was the only English knight present at the siege of Malta. It was wrongly assumed that he was buried in the crypt of St. John's Co-Cathedral in Valletta.
    The tombstone with his name on it contains only a poem written by [OLIVER] Starkey for Grand Master Jean de Valette. The Poem reads, in translation:'To God, Supreme, Almighty, Sacrosanct. He [De Valette] was the dread of Asia and Libya and once the
    guardian of Europe, after he had subdued the Turks by means of his Sacred Arms, the first one to lie buried in the grave, here in this propitious city of Valletta which he founded, worthy of eternal honour. Fra. [OLIVER] Starkey, Pro-Turcopolier, wrote [
    this] poem.'

In about 1550 [OLIVER] Starkey was admitted to the Order of the Knights of Malta. In 1558 he was involved in the establishment of the English Langue of the Order and in November of that year was appointed as a joint proctor of the Langue. In 1560 he was
    elected to be Lieutenant Turcopolier of the Order. The following year he was authorised to establish an English Auberge in Birgu, and he lived in the house next door.

Starkey was involved in the siege of Malta which lasted from May to September 1565, and was the only English knight to have played a part in it. As Lieutenant Turcopolier he was responsible for a section of the coastal defences around Birgu. At the same
    time he was Latin Secretary to the contemporary Grand Master, Jean Parisot de la Valette. Valette died in 1568 and ten years later his remains were moved to a tomb in the crypt of the newly completed co-cathedral of St John. Starkey composed the Latin
    inscription on his tomb. In 1569 he was appointed Bailiff of Eagle, the fourth highest dignity in the English Langue and in 1578 he was made Grand Prior of the Order of St. John in England. He continued to carry out further duties for the Order, serving
    under a total of four Grand Masters, until he died in the spring of 1588.>> -------------------------------------------------
    ________ . Sonnet 112
    . You are my All the world, and I must strIve,
    . To know my shames and praises from your t[O]unge,
    . None e[L]se to me, nor [I] to none ali[V]e,
    . That my st[E]el'd sence o[R] changes ri[G]ht or wrong, ..............................................
    _____ . . <= 10 =>
    . . Y o u a r e. m. y A l
    . . l t h e w o. r. l d,a
    . . n d I m u s. t. s t r
    . . I u e,T o k. n. o w m
    . . y s h a m e (S) a n d
    . . p r a i s e (S) f r o
    . . m y o u r t [O] u n g
    . . e,N o n e e [L] s e t
    . . o m e,n o r [I] t o n
    . . o n e a l i [V] e,T h
    . . a t m y s t [E] e l'd
    . . s e n c e o [R] c h a
    . . n g e s r i [G] h t o
    . . r w r o n g,
    [OLIVER]. 10
    [GREVIL] -10 : Prob. of [GREVIL] in Sonnets ~ 1 in 105
    . . . Prob. of [GREVILO] in Sonnets ~ 1 in 945 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    THE LIFE Of the Renowned Sr PHILIP SIDNEY. WITH The true Interest of England as it then stood in relation to all Forrain Princes: And particularly for suppressing the power of Spain Stated by Him. His principall Actions, Counsels, Designes, and Death.
    Together with a short Account of the Maximes and Policies used by Queen Elizabeth in her Government.

Written by Sir FULKE [GREVIL] Knight, Lord BROOK,
    . a Servant to Queen Elizabeth, and his Companion & Friend.

LONDON, Printed for Henry Seile over against
    . St Dunstans Church in Fleet-street. MDCLII. ....................................................... https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A77581.0001.001/1:20?rgn=div1;view=fulltext

. . . . <<Last paragraph>>:

But to conclude, as I began thi[S] worke, [T]o ente[R]taine, [A]nd ins[T]ruct my selfe, so i[F] any [O]the[R] fin[D] entertainement, or profit by it, let him use it freely, judge honourably of my friend, and moderately of me, which is all the returne
    that out of this barren Stock can be desired, or expected. ............................................
    . . . .<= 5 =>

. . . . B. u. t. t
    . . .o. c. o. n. c
    . . .l. u. d. e, a
    . . .s. I. b. e. g
    . . .a. n. t. h. i
    . . [S] w. o. r. k
    . . .e,[T] o. e. n
    . . .t. e.[R] t. a
    . . .i. n. e,[A] n
    . . .d. i. n. s [T]
    . . .r. u. c. t .m
    . . .y. s. e. l. f
    . . .e, s. o. i [F]
    . . .a. n. y [O] t
    . . .h. e [R] f. i
    . . .n [D] e. n. t
    . . .e. r. t. a. i
    . . .n. e. m. e. n
    . . .t, o. r. p. r
    . . .o. f. i. t. b
    . . .y. i. t
    [STRAT] 6 : Prob. in last paragraph ~ 1 in 785
    [FORD]. 4 : Prob. in last paragraph ~ 1 in 247 ...................................................................
    <<Written by Sir FULKE [GREVIL] Recorder of [STRAT][FORD] (1606-1628) ------------------------------------------------------------------- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_(As_You_Like_It)

<<Orlando is the youngest son of the deceased Sir Rowland de Bois and is the brother of [OLIVER] de Bois and Jacques. He is brave, chivalrous, tender, modest, smart, strong, and handsome. He resents the harsh treatment he receives at [OLIVER]'s hands and
    laments how [OLIVER] has denied him an education and the money is rightfully owed. Nevertheless, he is not successful in expressing his love for Rosalind to her before he escapes to the Forest of Arden with his servant Adam.

At the start of the play Orlando is indignant to the harsh treatment of his brother [OLIVER], and he is unaware of [OLIVER]'s plot to kill him during a wrestling match. Though he wins the match he angers Duke Frederick, and therefore he flees the court
    to live in the Forest of Arden. There, he is accepted into the circle of the usurped Duke Senior and begins to find freedom in life in the forest. A more poetic side to him comes out as he leaves poems on trees to Rosalind. When Rosalind sees these poems
    she strikes up a relationship with him as Ganymede, and the two act out a relationship between Orlando and Rosalind under the guise that it will cure Orlando of his love for her. By the end of the story he is married to Rosalind and reinstated in his
    wealth and station.

He is portrayed as exceptionally strong in both body and in his devotion to love. It is these qualities that make Rosalind fall in love with him.>>
    ------------------------------------------------------
    . . . As You Like It Act 3, Scene 3

TOUCHSTONE: Well, praised be the gods for thy foulness!
    . sluttishness may come *HEREafter*. But be it as it may
    . be, I will marry thee, and to that end I have been
    . with *Sir [OLIVER] Martext*, the vicar of the next
    . village, who hath promised to meet me in this place
    . of the forest and to couple us.

TOUCHSTONE: itwill be a good excuse
    . for me *HEREafter* to leave my wife. ..................................................
    . . . . . . Act 3, Scene 3
    [OLIVER]: If th{A}t an eye may profit by a tongue,
    . Then shou{L}d I know you by description,
    . Such garmen{T}s, and such yeeres: the boy is faire,
    . Of fem{A}ll fauour, and bestowes himselfe
    . Like a {R}ipe sister: the woman low
    . And browner th{E}n her brother: are not you
    . The owner of the house I did enquire for? ...............................................
    _____ <= 33 =>

. Ift h {A} t aneyemayprofitbyatongueThen
    . sho u {L} d IknowyoubydescriptionSuchga
    . rme n {T} s andsuchyeerestheboyisfaireO
    . ffe m {A} l lfauourandbestoweshimselfeL
    . ike a {R} i pesisterthewomanlowAndbrown
    . ert h {E} n herbrotherarenotyou
    {ALTARE} 33 : (Latin) podium or *STAGE* ............................................... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altar#Etymology
    <<"ALTAR" may have been influenced by the French autel derived
    from Latin words {ALTARE} meaning podium or *STAGE* and adolere
    to adore, in this sense meaning to worship, honour and offer
    sacrifices to influence forces beyond human understanding.>> --------------------------------------------------------------
    TABLE 1C. ENGLISH LANGUE. Priors and Grand Priors of England,
    . Sovereign Order of St. John of Jerusalem and of Malta.
    . *THOMAS TRESHAM* 1557-1559
    . *RICHARD SHELLEY* 1557-1590 -------------------------------------------------------------- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Tresham_(died_1559)

<<Sir *THOMAS TRESHAM* (died 8 March 1559) was a leading Catholic politician. Tresham was knighted by 1524. In 1530 he served on a Royal Commission inquiring into Cardinal Wolsey's possessions. In 1539 he was one of those appointed to receive Henry VIII'
    s future fourth wife, Anne of Cleves, at Calais. On 18 July 1553 he proclaimed Queen Mary at Northampton, and accompanied her on her entry into London. He was one of those appointed on 3 August 1553, "to staye the assemblies in Royston and other places
    of Cambridgeshire". He married firstly Mary Parr, youngest daughter and co-heir of William Parr, 1st Baron Parr of Horton, by whom he had two sons.

He was named Grand Prior of England in the Order of Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem by Royal Charter dated 2 April 1557, qualifying him for a seat in the House of Lords. It was not till 30 November that the order was re-established in
    England with four knights under him, and he was solemnly invested. In the meantime Sir *RICHARD SHELLEY* had been made turcopolier at Malta.>>
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    _THIS STAR OF ENGLAND_ Chap. 8 by Dorothy & Charlton Ogburn

http://www.sourcetext.com/sourcebook/Star/ch08.html

<<IN JANUARY 7, 1575, *LORD OXFORD* set forth with his retinue,
    . consisting, as Burghley noted in his diary, of "two gentlemen,
    . two grooms, one payend, a harbinger, a housekeeper & a trenchman."
    . Before the end of May the traveller reached Venice, where he
    . declined a generous offer on the part of [titular Grand Prior]
    Sir *RICHARD SHELLEY* of a furnished house, to continue his journey.>> ---------------------------------------------------------------
    THE KNIGHTS OF SAINT JOHN IN ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & IRELAND
    . http://www.saintjohn.org/priory.htm
    <<By 1567 the only English knights remaining on Malta were the
    titular Grand Prior *RICHARD SHELLEY* (who was an active participant
    in several plots against Elizabeth) & *Sir [OLIVER] STAR-KEY*
    (commander of Quenington), later titular Bailiff of Egle (from 1569).>>
    . . [John Shakspere was Bailiff of Stratford (from 1568)?]
    . <<*Sir [OLIVER] STAR-KEY*, who had been La Valette's Latin
    . Secretary and was the only Englishman at the Great Siege,
    . died in 1588 & *RICHARD SHELLEY* in 1590, when a French
    . knight was appointed to the titular Grand Priory.
    This appointment was challenged by an Irish knight resident
    in the convent, one *ANDREW WISE* from Waterford who, after
    complaining, was appointed Bailiff of Egle but, still unsatisfied,
    appealed to the Pope. In 1593 Wise was appointed titular Grand Prior,
    a dignity he held until his death in 1631. From thenceforth the
    offices of Grand Prior of England, Turcopilier, Bailiff of Egle
    and Prior or Grand Prior of Ireland became honorifics given to
    knights whom the Grand Master & Council wished to honor with
    the grand cross & membership of the Chapter-General.>> ---------------------------------------------------------------
    . . . . . ANDREW WYSE 1593-1631 -----------------------------------------------------------------
    . David Kathman's spellings of Shake-speare:
    2. 1598: Q2 Richard III (for Andrew WISE Grand Prior 1593-1631)
    3. 1598: Q2 Richard II (for Andrew WISE Grand Prior 1593-1631)
    4. 1599: Q2 Henry IV, Pt 1 (for Andrew WISE Grand Prior 1593-1631) ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wi[SE TO S]alvation was good Mistress Hall, ...............................................
    August 23, 1600, Shakespeare 1st appears in Stationer's Register
    when *ANDREW WYSE* enters _II Henry IV_ & _Much Ado About Nothing_ -------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.sja-ontario-cadets.org/handbook1a.htm

<<The origin of the word "PILLAR" is "Pilier" (French) refers to the
    senior officers of the Order of St. John who were "piliers" or heads
    of the "Langues" or "Tongues". When the Order was in Rhodes, it
    organised itself in a way that has lasted for centuries. Members
    who came from the same regions, tended to stick together and sowere
    grouped in the "Langues" or "Tongues". I imagine they were so called
    because they all spoke the same language or tongue. The Piliers"
    (PILLARs), together with the Bishop of the Order, the Prior, the
    *BAILIFFs* & Senior Knights formed the Council or advisory body
    to the Grand Master. The Piliers were each assigned a special
    function, thus the Pilier of Italy was the Admiral; the Pilier
    of France was the Hospitaller; the Pilier of Provence was the
    Grand Commander and the Pilier of England was the *TURCOPOLIER*
    or commander of the light cavalry. According to the book
    "The Orders of St. John", there were eight Langues, one for each
    point of the cross, and each represented by a Conventual BAILIFF or
    Pillier. Provence,(the Grand Commander), Auvergne (the Marshal),
    France (the Hospitaller), Italy (the Admiral), Aragon (the Drapier,
    later Grand Conservator), England (the TURCOPOLIER), Germany
    (the Grand BAILIFF) and Castille-Portugal (the Grand Chancellor).
    Each of the eight Langues created their own headquarters
    called an Auberge, in which they lived with their Pillier.>> --------------------------------------------------------------
    Art Neuendorffer

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)