• Could schools stop teaching Shakespeare?

From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 22 18:22:55 2022
  • From Margaret@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Mon May 23 00:37:51 2022
    On Monday, 23 May 2022 at 02:22:56 UTC+1, gggg gggg wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/may/22/uks-strictest-headmistress-fears-schools-will-stop-teaching-shakespeare

This woman is a complete self-publicist, recently called out on social media over her self-aggrandising documentary for painting a fake "inspiring" Winston Churchill quote on her school wall and then, instead of apologising, she said it was "in the
    spirit" of the quote - even though it said "no defeat is final" when Churchill in his "Finest Hour" speech said defeat would be a plunge into "the abyss" (hence the fighting on the beaches etc...)

The idea that popular culture is the enemy to Shakespeare is nonsense - he is and always was popular culture - so we should use whatever is current to open him up to a new audience.

This is the super-bright Akala's TED talk, explaining what his school workshops have discovered about how kids see Shakespeare, hip-hop and the links between all spoken culture. He worked a lot with the late Cis Berry, voice coach and the RSC and they
    loved each other. Cis was always adamant that you need to speak Shakespeare, not just read it on the page, to know it fully. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSbtkLA3GrY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Margaret@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Mon May 23 00:42:46 2022
    On Monday, 23 May 2022 at 02:22:56 UTC+1, gggg gggg wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/may/22/uks-strictest-headmistress-fears-schools-will-stop-teaching-shakespeare

Another thing this stupid woman said is that there are fewer women in Physics because girls naturally don't like "hard maths" rather than addressing how maths is taught in a combative, competitive way ("hands up who knows the answer" rather than a
    collaborative, helpful, non-ego-based way). Speaking as someone with 2 A levels in "hard maths" I watched and saw how girls particularly - but boys too - were made terrified of the subject by the conventional way of teaching.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bookburn@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Sat Aug 6 19:03:33 2022
    On Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 5:22:56 PM UTC-8, gggg gggg wrote:

My guess is that Shakespeare will be filtered through the British curriculum requirements with spins like those in the article, using discriminating criteria describing racism, sexism, women and children actors, pronouns, and other -isms in the social
    purview.

In the U.S., there has been resistance to teaching Shakespeare due to its difficult language, vocabulary, spelling, punctuation and grammar barriers, even with parallel texts, so the canon is reduced to a few taught in like the 10th and 12th grades,
    especially Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, and selections from the sonnets and poems, along with other renowned bits. Othello, with its black Moor and Muslim central character, might get preference. Lots of associations in Shakespeare to such
    aspects as bastards and benefactors that could be used with increased interest, along with discussions about authorship attribution and identity questions. Not sure how long the current interest in de Vere as the real Shakespeare will last.

My guess is that teaching Shakespeare in the States will continue in high schools and colleges, but using Web aides as crutches. He does have universal properties, although open to international interpretations, IMO. For Brits, no doubt the use of
    Shakespeare in identifying such cultural norms as behaviors of nobles, defense of monarchy, and epic icons are important.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to bookburn on Sat Aug 6 19:35:31 2022
    On Saturday, August 6, 2022 at 7:03:34 PM UTC-7, bookburn wrote:
    My guess is that Shakespeare will be filtered through the British curriculum requirements with spins like those in the article, using discriminating criteria describing racism, sexism, women and children actors, pronouns, and other -isms in the social
    purview.

In the U.S., there has been resistance to teaching Shakespeare due to its difficult language, vocabulary, spelling, punctuation and grammar barriers, even with parallel texts, so the canon is reduced to a few taught in like the 10th and 12th grades,
    especially Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, and selections from the sonnets and poems, along with other renowned bits. Othello, with its black Moor and Muslim central character, might get preference. Lots of associations in Shakespeare to such aspects
    as bastards and benefactors that could be used with increased interest, along with discussions about authorship attribution and identity questions. Not sure how long the current interest in de Vere as the real Shakespeare will last.

My guess is that teaching Shakespeare in the States will continue in high schools and colleges, but using Web aides as crutches. He does have universal properties, although open to international interpretations, IMO. For Brits, no doubt the use of
    Shakespeare in identifying such cultural norms as behaviors of nobles, defense of monarchy, and epic icons are important.

Don't we live in times when comic books are worth more than Shakespeare?:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/jun/09/shakespeare-first-folio-copy-estimated-to-fetch-25m-in-new-york-auction

www.cgccomics.com/news/article/9418/Amazing-Fantasy-breaks-record/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Margaret@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Sun Aug 7 01:42:14 2022
    On Sunday, 7 August 2022 at 03:35:32 UTC+1, gggg gggg wrote:
    My guess is that Shakespeare will be filtered through the British curriculum requirements with spins like those in the article, using discriminating criteria describing racism, sexism, women and children actors, pronouns, and other -isms in the
    social purview.

especially Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, and selections from the sonnets and poems, along with other renowned bits. Othello, with its black Moor and Muslim central character, might get preference. Lots of associations in Shakespeare to such aspects
    as bastards and benefactors that could be used with increased interest, along with discussions about authorship attribution and identity questions. Not sure how long the current interest in de Vere as the real Shakespeare will last.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/jun/09/shakespeare-first-folio-copy-estimated-to-fetch-25m-in-new-york-auction

Shakespeare is not of an age but for all time. The "strictest headmistress" is a grifter with her own agenda, building her profile as a "public figure" much beloved of the Right who revel in saying "I'm not racist but everyone's too woke these days and
    she agrees with me and she's colour.. , half-..., tinged..., well she's got a funny name, so there."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From marc hanson@21:1/5 to Margaret on Sun Aug 7 09:53:16 2022
    On Sunday, August 7, 2022 at 4:42:16 AM UTC-4, Margaret wrote:
    My guess is that Shakespeare will be filtered through the British curriculum requirements with spins like those in the article, using discriminating criteria describing racism, sexism, women and children actors, pronouns, and other -isms in the
    social purview.

Shakespeare is not of an age but for all time. The "strictest headmistress" is a grifter with her own agenda, building her profile as a "public figure" much beloved of the Right who revel in saying "I'm not racist but everyone's too woke these days and
    she agrees with me and she's colour.. , half-..., tinged..., well she's got a funny name, so there."

Shakespeare wasn't offered at my high school, north Torrance, California, back in the last century,
    and optional in college

i could see it being available only in college

marc

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to flm...@gmail.com on Sun Aug 7 12:37:51 2022
    On Sunday, August 7, 2022 at 9:53:17 AM UTC-7, flm...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, August 7, 2022 at 4:42:16 AM UTC-4, Margaret wrote:
    social purview.

In the U.S., there has been resistance to teaching Shakespeare due to its difficult language, vocabulary, spelling, punctuation and grammar barriers, even with parallel texts, so the canon is reduced to a few taught in like the 10th and 12th
    grades, especially Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, and selections from the sonnets and poems, along with other renowned bits. Othello, with its black Moor and Muslim central character, might get preference. Lots of associations in Shakespeare to such
    aspects as bastards and benefactors that could be used with increased interest, along with discussions about authorship attribution and identity questions. Not sure how long the current interest in de Vere as the real Shakespeare will last.

My guess is that teaching Shakespeare in the States will continue in high schools and colleges, but using Web aides as crutches. He does have universal properties, although open to international interpretations, IMO. For Brits, no doubt the use
    of Shakespeare in identifying such cultural norms as behaviors of nobles, defense of monarchy, and epic icons are important.

Shakespeare is not of an age but for all time. The "strictest headmistress" is a grifter with her own agenda, building her profile as a "public figure" much beloved of the Right who revel in saying "I'm not racist but everyone's too woke these days
    and she agrees with me and she's colour.. , half-..., tinged..., well she's got a funny name, so there."
    Shakespeare wasn't offered at my high school, north Torrance, California, back in the last century,
    and optional in college

i could see it being available only in college

marc

In the U.S., nobody talks about 'dumbing down' anymore because it's become only too obvious.

Concerning literature study guides, there is a series called NO FEAR LITERATURE which includes "Beowulf" where the Old English text is on the left-hand page and facing it on the right-hand page is the text in modern English

If you can believe it, that series includes "Heart of Darkness" probably because young readers nowadays find the 1899 text just too difficult to fathom:

https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/#jumpTo-no-fear

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John W Kennedy@21:1/5 to bookburn on Tue Aug 9 17:11:11 2022
    On 8/6/22 10:03 PM, bookburn wrote:

purview.

especially Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, and selections from the sonnets and poems, along with other renowned bits. Othello, with its black Moor and Muslim central character, might get preference. Lots of associations in Shakespeare to such

There is no sane reason to believe that Othello is a Moslem, and very
    good reason to believe that he is not.

As to the main point, I will not say that parallel-text editions are of
    no pedagogical use, but is very much the fact that Shakespeare
    “translated” is not Shakespeare. Has everyone forgotten that virtually
    all of his plays are adaptations? Shakespeare reduced to prose,
    presented on paper instead of on stage, and converted into present-day
    English is Shakespeare erased.

--
    John W. Kennedy
    Algernon Burbage, Lord Roderick, Father Martin, Bishop Baldwin,
    King Pellinore, Captain Bailey, Merlin -- A Kingdom for a Stage!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John W Kennedy@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Tue Aug 9 17:20:30 2022
    On 8/6/22 10:35 PM, gggg gggg wrote:
    purview.

Ultra-valuable comic books are a lot more rare than First Folios, and Shakespeare's plays have a LOT more reprints.

--
    John W. Kennedy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to john.w....@gmail.com on Tue Aug 9 19:14:39 2022
    On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 2:11:16 PM UTC-7, john.w....@gmail.com wrote:

social purview.

no pedagogical use, but is very much the fact that Shakespeare “translated” is not Shakespeare. Has everyone forgotten that virtually all of his plays are adaptations? Shakespeare reduced to prose,
    presented on paper instead of on stage, and converted into present-day English is Shakespeare erased.

--
    John W. Kennedy

https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/humanities.lit.authors.shakespeare/c/J8Z8ePO_EC0/m/JuRzzEJfBQAJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bookburn@21:1/5 to john.w....@gmail.com on Wed Aug 10 07:11:04 2022
    On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 1:11:16 PM UTC-8, john.w....@gmail.com wrote:

social purview.

no pedagogical use, but is very much the fact that Shakespeare “translated” is not Shakespeare. Has everyone forgotten that virtually all of his plays are adaptations? Shakespeare reduced to prose,
    presented on paper instead of on stage, and converted into present-day English is Shakespeare erased.

--
    John W. Kennedy

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2018/10/20/a-portrait-of-othello-as-a-black-muslim-tragic-hero#:~:text=Othello%20emerged%20in%20contrast%20as,been%20Shakespeare's%20inspiration%20for%20Othello.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John W Kennedy@21:1/5 to bookburn on Wed Aug 10 16:42:20 2022
    On 8/10/22 10:11 AM, bookburn wrote:
    On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 1:11:16 PM UTC-8, john.w....@gmail.com wrote:

social purview.

no pedagogical use, but is very much the fact that Shakespeare
    “translated” is not Shakespeare. Has everyone forgotten that virtually >> all of his plays are adaptations? Shakespeare reduced to prose,
    presented on paper instead of on stage, and converted into present-day
    English is Shakespeare erased.

--
    John W. Kennedy

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2018/10/20/a-portrait-of-othello-as-a-black-muslim-tragic-hero#:~:text=Othello%20emerged%20in%20contrast%20as,been%20Shakespeare's%20inspiration%20for%20Othello.

Astonishing ignorance. "There were Muslims in pagan Rome."

Amazing illogic. "Some B are A, therefore all A are B."

“Ergo, the whole thing is ridiculous and revolting.” (Lewis Carroll)

--
    John W. Kennedy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05