• Widdershins

From Arthur Neuendorffer@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 20 18:49:34 2021
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Epigrammes in the oldest cut, and newest fashion (1599) John Weever
    They burn in love; thy children, Shakespeare, [HET] [THE]m,
    . . Go, woo thy muse, more nymphish brood beget [THE]m.
    [HET], v. t. & i. To *PROMISE*. [Obs.] --Chaucer. ....................................................... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heth
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yodh -------------------------------------------------------
    . . . . . . . . SONNET 33
    . Full many a glorious morning have I seen
    . Flatter the mountain tops with *soVEREign EYE* ...................................................................
    . . . . . . . . {I}ohn [D]elta
    . .T O T [H] E O N L I E B E G E T T E R O F T H E S E I N S V I N G S
    . O N N [E T] S M R W H A L L H A P P I N E S S E A N D T H A T E T E
    .R N I [T{I}E] P R O M I S E D B Y O V R E V E R L I V I N G P O E T
    W I S [H E T H] T H E W E L L W I S H I N G A D V E N T V R E R I N ...................................................................
    . . . . <= SONNET 33 (33 = 3[H]s + {I}) =>
    T O T [H] E O N L I E B E G E T T E R O F T H E S E I N S V I N G S
    O N N [E T] S M R W H A L L H A P P I N E S S E A N D T H A T E T E
    R N I [T{I}E] P R O M I S E D B Y O V R E V E R L I V I N G P O E T
    W I S [H E T H] T H E W E L L W I S H I N G A D V E N T V R E R I N ...................................................................
    . . . <= SONNET 34 (34 = 3[HETH]s + {YODH}) =>

T O T [H] E O N L I E B E G E T T E {R} O F T H E S E I N S V I N G S O
    N N [E T] S M R W H A L L H A P P I N {E} S S E A N D T H A T E T E R N
    I [T{I}E] P R O M I S E D B Y O V R E V {E} R L I V I N G P O E T W I S
    [H E T H] T H E W E L L W I S H I N G A {D V E} N T V R E R I N S E T T .......................................................................
    ABRAHAM purchased the Cave Of Machpelah from the sons of [HETH]. ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    . . . . King Lear [III, 4]
    Edgar: Child Rowland to the dark tower came;
    . His word was still Fie, foh, and fum!
    . I smell the blood of a British man. ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widdershins

<<Widdershins (sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) is a term meaning to go counter-clockwise or to walk around an object by always keeping it on the left. Literally, it means to take a course opposite the apparent motion of the sun
    viewed from the Northern Hemisphere. The earliest recorded use of the word, as cited by the Oxford English Dictionary, is in a 1513 translation of the Aeneid, where it is found in the phrase "Abaisit I wolx, and widdersyns start my hair." In this sense, "
    widdershins start my hair" means "my hair stood on end".

Because the sun played a highly important role in older religions, to go against it was considered bad luck for sun-worshiping traditions. It was considered unlucky in Britain to travel in an anticlockwise (not sunwise) direction around a church, and a
    number of folk myths make reference to this superstition, e.g. Childe Rowland, where the protagonist and his sister are transported to Elfland after his sister runs widdershins round a church. In Robert Louis Stevenson's tale "The Song of the Morrow," an
    old crone on the beach dances "widdershins".

In contrast, in Judaism circles are sometimes walked anticlockwise. For example, when a bride circles her groom seven times before marriage, when dancing around the bimah during Simchat Torah (or when dancing in a circle at any time), or when the Sefer
    Torah is brought out of the ark (ark is approached from the right, and departed from the left). This has its origins in the Beis Hamikdash, where in order not to get in each other's way, the priests would walk around the altar anticlockwise while
    performing their duties. In Judaism, starting things from the right side is considered to be important, since the right side is the side of Chesed (kindness) while the left side is the side of Gevurah (judgment). For example, it is a law to put on the
    right shoe first and take off the left shoe first.

Widdershins comes from Middle Low German weddersinnes, literally "against the way" (i.e. "in the opposite direction"), from widersinnen "to go against", from Old High German elements widar "against" and sinnen "to travel, go", related to sind "journey".>>
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Art Neuendorffer

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From David Dalton@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 21 01:54:53 2021
    On Dec 20, 2021, Arthur Neuendorffer wrote
    (in article<ddccf148-6f22-41b2-a2dd-aa90b15776f3n@googlegroups.com>):

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Epigrammes in the oldest cut, and newest fashion (1599) John Weever
    They burn in love; thy children, Shakespeare, [HET] [THE]m,
    . . Go, woo thy muse, more nymphish brood beget [THE]m.
    [HET], v. t. & i. To *PROMISE*. [Obs.] --Chaucer. ....................................................... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heth
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yodh -------------------------------------------------------
    . . . . . . . . SONNET 33
    . Full many a glorious morning have I seen
    . Flatter the mountain tops with *soVEREign EYE* ...................................................................
    . . . . . . . . {I}ohn [D]elta
    . .T O T [H] E O N L I E B E G E T T E R O F T H E S E I N S V I N G S
    . O N N [E T] S M R W H A L L H A P P I N E S S E A N D T H A T E T E
    .R N I [T{I}E] P R O M I S E D B Y O V R E V E R L I V I N G P O E T
    . . . . <= SONNET 33 (33 = 3[H]s + {I}) =>
    T O T [H] E O N L I E B E G E T T E R O F T H E S E I N S V I N G S
    O N N [E T] S M R W H A L L H A P P I N E S S E A N D T H A T E T E
    R N I [T{I}E] P R O M I S E D B Y O V R E V E R L I V I N G P O E T
    . . . <= SONNET 34 (34 = 3[HETH]s + {YODH}) =>

T O T [H] E O N L I E B E G E T T E {R} O F T H E S E I N S V I N G S O
    N N [E T] S M R W H A L L H A P P I N {E} S S E A N D T H A T E T E R N
    I [T{I}E] P R O M I S E D B Y O V R E V {E} R L I V I N G P O E T W I S
    [H E T H] T H E W E L L W I S H I N G A {D V E} N T V R E R I N S E T T ....................................................................... ABRAHAM purchased the Cave Of Machpelah from the sons of [HETH]. ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    . . . . King Lear [III, 4]
    Edgar: Child Rowland to the dark tower came;
    . His word was still Fie, foh, and fum!
    . I smell the blood of a British man. --------------------------------------------------------------------- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widdershins

<<Widdershins (sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) is a term meaning to go counter-clockwise or to walk around an object by always keeping it on the left. Literally, it means to take a course opposite the apparent motion of the sun viewed from the Northern Hemisphere. The earliest recorded use of the word, as cited by the Oxford English Dictionary, is in a 1513 translation of the Aeneid, where it is found in the phrase "Abaisit I wolx, and widdersyns start my hair." In this sense, "widdershins start my hair" means "my hair stood on end".

Because the sun played a highly important role in older religions, to go against it was considered bad luck for sun-worshiping traditions. It was considered unlucky in Britain to travel in an anticlockwise (not sunwise) direction around a church, and a number of folk myths make reference to this superstition, e.g. Childe Rowland, where the protagonist and his sister are transported to Elfland after his sister runs widdershins round a church. In Robert Louis Stevenson's tale "The Song of the Morrow," an old crone on the beach dances "widdershins".

In contrast, in Judaism circles are sometimes walked anticlockwise. For example, when a bride circles her groom seven times before marriage, when dancing around the bimah during Simchat Torah (or when dancing in a circle at any time), or when the Sefer Torah is brought out of the ark (ark is approached from the right, and departed from the left). This has its origins in the Beis Hamikdash, where in order not to get in each other's way, the priests would walk around the altar anticlockwise while performing their duties. In Judaism, starting things from the right side is considered to be important, since the right side is the side of Chesed (kindness) while the left side is the side of Gevurah (judgment). For example, it is a law to put on the right shoe first and take off the left shoe first.

Widdershins comes from Middle Low German weddersinnes, literally "against the way" (i.e. "in the opposite direction"), from widersinnen "to go against", from Old High German elements widar "against" and sinnen "to travel, go", related to sind "journey".>> ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Art Neuendorffer

When I do a chi loop to “charge” a room I imagine chi coming
    out of my right hand, circling the room counterclockwise
    (widdershins), and coming back into my left hand.

--
    David Dalton dalton@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page) https://www.nfld.com/~dalton/dtales.html Salmon on the Thorns (mystic page) “‘And the cart is on a wheel/And the wheel is on a hill/And
    the hill is shifting sand/And inside these laws we stand" (Ferron)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)