• Chapman (1/2)

From Arthur Neuendorffer@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 13 07:11:23 2021
    --------------------------------------------------------------- https://shakespeareoxfordfellowship.org/wp-content/uploads/Wainright.Troilus.pdf

Brief Chronicles V (2014) 139
    The Logical Basis of Oxford’s Troilus and Cressida
    by Michael Wainwright

<<In fact,” as Mark Anderson reports,
    “it was even thought that Elizabeth might rule over the Dutch as new subjects to the English crown.” This possibility raised the question of a monarchical governorship. The Earl of Leicester, who had commanded the initial campaign for Elizabeth, was the obvious choice, but de Vere also coveted the position. “This was
    a candidacy,” writes Anderson, “that de Vere took seriously. And in the Elizabethan
    court’s Christmas revels of 1584, he gave his aspirations voice,” when Oxford’s Boys
    performed A History of Agamemnon and Ulysses at Windsor Castle on 27 December. “This ‘lost’ play,” believes Anderson, “was probably a draft of part of Shake-
    speare’s dark satire Troilus and Cressida,” with Agamemnon’s anger at a seven-year
    impasse reflecting the timeframe of William the Silent’s campaign. “Agamemnon
    and Ulysses also argue over some of the very issues at stake in the Lowlands,” adds
    Anderson, and “a play staged for Queen Elizabeth about the siege of Troy would
    readily have been seen as a representation of the siege of the Netherlands.” That the Trojan-Grecian impasse helps facilitate the social dilemmas internal to each party lends further support to the Oxfordian case concerning Troilus and
    Cressida. These inner problems reveal the attempts by particular individuals to promote their social rank. Ulysses’ disquisition on degree, a speech that Dawson
    rates as “the most famous in the play,” introduces this subject: “The heavens
    themselves, the planets and this centre,” intones Ulysses, “Observe degree, priority,
    and place, / Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, / Office, and custom in
    all line of order” (1.3.85–88). Thus, contends Ulysses, “How could communities”
    (1.3.103), “But by degree stand in authentic place?” (1.3.108). Queen Elizabeth, “no
    less an exponent of medieval notions of royalty than de Vere,” writes Anderson of A
    History of Agamemnon and Ulysses, “must have found an appeal in de Vere’s rhetoric
    of rank and deference. Foolish though it would have been to appoint her court playwright as a general and colonial governor, Elizabeth would not acknowledge as
    much until the last possible moment”—on 10 July 1585, making Sir John Norris
    temporary commander of the English expeditionary force in the Netherlands.69 Elizabeth knew how to play the hierarchical game to her own advantage. On the one
    hand, as Ulysses acknowledges in Troilus and Cressida, concord is needed for group
    action—“When that the general is not like the hive / To whom the foragers shall all
    repair, / What honey is expected?” (1.3.81–83). On the other hand, as Ulysses also
    appreciates, self-promotion produces dissonance in leveling a hierarchy: “O, when
    degree is shaked, / Which is the ladder of all high designs, / The enterprise is sick”
    (1.3.101–103). Without established social classes, maintains Ulysses, there will be
    internal strife. “Take but degree away, untune that string,” he warns, “And hark what
    discord follows: each thing meets / In mere oppugnancy” (1.3.109–111). The choice is
    between a rigid hierarchy—controlled by primogeniture, inheritance, and accredited
    superiors—and a descent into chaos, which “when degree is suffocate, / Follows the
    choking” (1.3.126–127)>> --------------------------------------------------------------------
    The whole works of Homer; prince of poetts in his Iliads, and Odysses. Translated according to the Greeke, by Geo: Chapman. --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Farina: "For Chapman, de Vere seemed to embody the aristocratic values
    . . endorsed by *ULYSSES* in Act I, scene III of _Troilus & Cressida_" ------------------------------------------------------------------- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWbonwwFG-c

. . Troilus and Cressida (Folio 1, 1623)
    . . . Act III, scene III
    Achil. I doe beleeue it:
    . For they past by me, as mysers doe by beggars,
    . Neither gaue to me good word, nor looke:
    . What are my deedes forgot?
    Ulis. Time hath (my Lord) a wallet at his backe,
    . Wherein he puts almes for obliuion:
    . A great siz'd monster of ingratitudes:
    . Those scraps are good deedes past,
    . Which are deuour'd as fast as they are made,
    . Forgot as soone as done: perseuerance, deere my Lord,
    . Keepes honor bright, to haue done, i{S} to hang
    . Quite {O}ut of fashion, {L}ike a rustie m{A}le,
    . In monumen{T}all mockrie: take the instant way,
    . For honour trauels in a straight so narrow,
    . Where one but goes a breast, keepe then the path:
    . For emulation hath a thousand Sonnes,
    . That one by one pursue; if you giue way,
    . Or hedge as[I]de from the direct forth right;
    . Like to an entred Tyd[E], they all rush by,
    . And leaue you hindmost:
    . Or like a gal[L]ant Horse falne in first ranke,
    . Lye there for paueme[N]t to the abiect, neere
    . Ore-run and trampled on: then wh[A]t they doe in present,
    . Though lesse then yours in pas[T], must ore-top yours:
    . For time is like a fashionable Ho[S]te,
    . That slightly *SHAKES* his parting Guest by th'hand; .......................................................
    {TALOS} . -12
    [STANLEI] -43
    . And with his armes out-stretcht, as he would flye,
    . Graspes in the commer: the welcome euer smiles,
    . And farewels goes out sighing: O let not vertue seeke
    . Remuneration for the thing it was: for beautie, wit,
    . High birth, vigor of bone, desert in seruice,
    . Loue, friendship, charity, are subiects all
    . To enuious and calumniating time:
    . One touch of nature makes the whole world kin:
    . That all with one consent praise new borne gaudes,
    . Though they are made and moulded of things past,
    . And goe to dust, that is a little guilt,
    . More laud then guilt oredusted.
    . The present eye praises the pres nt obiect:
    . Then maruell not thou great and compleat man,
    . That all the Greekes begin to worship Aiax;
    . Since things in motion begin to catch the eye,
    . Then what not stirs: the cry went out on thee,
    . And still it might, and yet it may againe,
    . If thou would'st not entombe thy selfe aliue,
    . And case thy reputation in thy Tent;
    . Whose glorious deedes, but in these fields of late,
    . Made emulous missions 'mongst the gods themselues,
    . And draue great Mars to faction.

Achil. Of this my priuacie,
    .I haue strong reasons. -------------------------------------------------------------------
    . . . Act III, scene III

Great Agamemnon: The Generall's disdain'd
    . By him one step below; he, by the nex{T},
    . That next, by him beneath: so euery step
    . Exampled by the first pace th{A}t is sicke
    . Of his Superiour, growes to an enuious Feauer
    . Of pale, and b{L}oodlesse Emulation.
    . And 'tis this Feauer that keepes Troy on foote,
    . N{O}t her owne sinewes. To end a tale of length,
    . Troy in our weaknesse liue{S}, not in her strength. .............................................................
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <= 56 =>
    TheGenerallsdisdaindByhimonestepbelowhebythenex {T} Thatnext byhimbeneathsoeuerystepExampledbythefirstpaceth {A} tissicke OfhisSuperiourgrowestoanenuiousFeauerOfpaleandb {L} oodlesse EmulationAndtisthisFeauerthatkeepesTroyonfooteN {O} therowne sinewesToendataleoflengthTroyinourweaknesseliue {S} notinher
    strength
    {TALOS} 56
    Nest. Most wisely hath *ULYSSES* he[E]re disco[V]er'd
    . The F[E](AVER), whe[R]eof all o[U]r power i[S] sicke. .....................................................
    . . . . . <= 8 =>
    . . . . .M o s t .w .i.
    . .s. e. l y h a .t .h
    . *U. L. Y S S E .S* h
    . {E}[E] r e d i .s .c
    . {O}[V] e r'd T .h .e
    . .F [E](A V E R),w .h
    . {E}[R] e o f a .l .l
    . {O}[U] r p o w .e .r
    . .i [S] s i c k .e.
    {E.O.}. . 8,8
    [E.VERUS] 8 : Prob. in *ULYSSES* sentence ~ 1 in 425 ......................................................
    {22 *ULYSSES* sentences in all of Shakespeare} --------------------------------------------------------
    .. T O T H E R I G H T H O N O R A B L E
    . Henrie Wriothesley, Earle of Southampton,
    . and Baron of Titchfield.
    . RIght Honourable, I know not how I shall offend in
    . dedicating my unpolisht lines to your Lordship, nor
    . how the worlde Will censure mee for choosing so
    . strong a proppe to support so Weake a burthen,
    . onelye if your Honour seeme but pleased, I ac-
    . count my selfe highly praised,
    . and *VOWE* to take advantage of all idle houres,
    TILL I [H]AV[E] HO[N]OU[R]ED [Y]OU [W.]IT[H.] SO[M]E G[r.]
    ........... . . . . . . . . . . . -AVER LABOUR. .....................................................................
    [HENRY W.H. Mr.] 3 : Prob. [HENRY W.] in V&A dedication ~ 1 in 36,000 .....................................................................
    AVER, n. [OF. AVER domestic animal, whence LL. AVERia, pl.
    . cattle. cf. {AVERage}.] A WORKING OX. [Obs. or Dial. Eng.] ---------------------------------------------------------------
    . . . ODYSSEY - Homer (tr. Samuel Butler)
    <<ULYSSES struck the son of Damastor with a *SPEAR* in close
    fight, while Telemachus hit Leocritus son of Evenor in the
    belly, and the *DART* went clean through him, so that
    he fell forward full on his face upon the ground.>>
    <<I can *throw a DART*
    . . . . farther than any one else can shoot an arrow.>> ..............................................................
    On The Countesse Dowager of Pembroke : Mary (Sidney) Herbert,
    _ (U)nderneath this sable Herse
    _ (LYES) the subiect of all verse:
    _ (SYD)ne(YES) sister, Pembroke's Mother:
    _ .Death, ere thou hast slaine another,
    _ .Faire, & Learn'd, & good as she,
    _ .Tyme shall *throw a DART* at thee. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- https://www.greekmythology.com/Myths/Mortals/Palamedes/palamedes.html

<<After Helen had been kidnapped by Paris, the Oath of Tyndareus was invoked, according to which all previous suitors of Helen should defend the couple in any future setback. Odysseus had also taken the oath, but did not want to take part in the war,
    because an oracle had told him it would take him decades to return to his family. Agamemnon sent Palamedes in order to get Odysseus; when he arrived in Ithaca, Odysseus pretended to be insane by plowing salt in his fields. Palamedes realised that this
    was a trick, and put Odysseus' infant son Telemachus in front of the plow. Odysseus, unable to kill his son, revealed his trick and was forced to join the Greek army.>>
    --------------------------------------------------
    . . . John Rollett [WR.IOTH.ESLEY] array ..................................................
    . . . . . . . . . <= 18 =>
    . . T H E O . {N} L i[E| . B E G .E. T T E R O. F
    . . T H E S E . {I} n[S| . U I N G .S. O N N E. T
    . . S M R W h a . {L}[L|H] . A P P I {N} E S S. E
    . . A N D t h a t. . [E|T]{e} .R N I T {I} E P. R
    . . O M I S E D . {B}[Y|O]u {r} .E V E R {L} I. V
    . . I N G P O . {E} t W|I]S H {e} .T H T H {E} [W]
    . . E L L W I . .S. h i n g A {d V e} .N T .U. [R] ...............................................
    . . E R I N S . .E. t t i n g .f o r. .T H ...............................................
    . *V(OM)ERE* : *PLOUGHSHARE* (Italian, Latin) ...............................................
    . VOMERE: PLOWSHARE, n. The SHARE of a PLOW,
    . . or that part which cuts the slice of earth
    . . . or sod at the bottom of the furrow. ------------------------------------------------------------
    Odyssey - Homer (tr. Samuel Butler) ** BOOK VII

<<"First find the QUEEN her name is {ARETE} . ."

. Ulysses went straight through the court, still
    . hidden by the *CLOAK of darkness* in which *MINERVA* had
    . enveloped him, till he reached {ARETE} & King Alcinous;
    . then he laid his hands upon the *KNEES* of {ARETE} and at
    . that moment the miraculous darkness fell away from him.>> ............................................................. _______________..... <= 19 =>

.. T. OTHEO_ . (N) l ___{I} __ <E> B. E. G __ E. T. T. ERO
    .. F. THESE_ . (I) n __ {S} __. U <I> N. G __ S. O. N. NET
    .. S. MrWha_ . (L) L __ [H]A ____. P <P> I _ (N) E. S. SEA
    .. N. Dthat_ . (E) T __ [E]R ____. N <I> T _ (I) E <P> ROM
    .. I. SEDB Y O u ______ [R]E ____. V <E> R _ (L)<I> V. ING
    . <P> OEtW I s h ______ [E]T ____. H (T) H _ (E) W. E. LLW
    . <I> ShIN G a ______ [d V e] ___. N (T) u __ R. e. R. INS
    . <E> tTIN G fort----____________. H (T) t ......................................................... ........................................................
    . Probability of Upper & Lower (NILE)'s ~ 1/176,000
    . Probability of 4 oven <PIE>'s ~ 1/38,000 -------------------------------------------------------
    . After his library FIRE of 1623 Ben Jonson (1572-1637)
    . wrote of his LOSS in "An Execration upon Vulcan" .......................................................
    . Thou mightst have had (me) perish, piece by peic[E],
    . To light Tobacco, or sa[V]e roasted Geese.
    . Sindg[E] Capons, or *poor Piggs* , d[R]oping their Eyes;
    . Cond[E]mn'd me to the Ovens wit{H} the <PIES> ; .....................................................
    _________ . . . <= 19 =>
    . .h{O}u .m i g h t s t h a v e h a d (m e)
    . {E}p{E} r i s h,p i{E}c e b y p{E}i c [E],
    . .T{O}l .i g h t T{O}b a c c{O|O}r s a [V]
    . {E}r o .a s t{E}d G{E|E}s{E}S i n d g [E]
    . {C}a p .o n s{O}r p{O|O}r P i g g s,d [R]
    . {O}p i .n g t h{E}i r{E}y e s;C o n d [E]
    . .m n'd .m e t{O}t h e{O}v e n s w i t {H}
    . .t h e <P I{E}S>;
    [E.VERE] 19 : Prob. any skip ~ 1 in 1000
    19 {E.O.}s : Prob. ~ 1 in 52 -----------------------------------------------------
    "Shakespeare": "They tke the *FLOW o' the NILE*
    ____ By certain scales i' the Pyramid." ....................................................
    ....................... T
    ..................... O T H
    ................... E(O)N L I
    ................. E B(E)G E{T}T
    ............... E R O(F)T H{E}S E
    ............. I N S U(I)N G{S}O N N
    ........... E T S M R(W|H}A L L H A P
    ......... P I N E(S|S|E|A}N D T H A T E
    ....... T E R N I(T|I)E[P]R O M I S E D B
    ..... Y O U R E V(E|R)L[I]V I N G P O E T W
    ... I S H E T H T(H|E)W[E]L L W I S H I N G A
    . D V E N T U R E R I N[S]E T T I N G F O R T H ....................................................
    [PIES] Prob. in center bottom ~ 1 in 32,000
    {HAPI} Prob. in center ~ 1 in in 16,000 .................................................................
    <<{HAPI} (Golden Dawn) One of the Four Sons of Horus, {HAPI}
    . was represented as a mummified man with the head of a *BABOON*.
    .He was the protector of the lungs of the deceased, & was protected
    . by the goddess Nephthys. The name {HAPI}, spelled with different
    . HIEROGLYPHs, in most but not all cases, is also the name
    . of the god who was the personification of the River *NILE*
    . depicted as a corpulent man [Falstaff? / N(ev)ILE?]
    . with a *CROWN of LILIES* (Upper {NILE} )
    ______ or papyrus plants (Lower {NILE>). - Shawn C. Knight -------------------------------------------------------
    ____ Palladis Tamia. (continued)

And as Horace saith of his;

. Exegi monumentum aere perennius;
    . Regalique *PYRAMIDUM* altius; Quod non imber edax;
    . Non Aquilo impotens possit DI(r)UERE;
    . aut innumerabilis annorum series and fuga temporum: .......................................................
    Concluding lines of Horace's _Odes_ translated:
    . I have builded a monument more lasting than *BRASS*,
    . Loftier than the *PYRAMIDS* their regal throne,
    . Which neither the wasting rain nor the North wind in its fury
    . Could ever raze to the ground, nor the innumerable
    . Sequence of the years, nor the swift feet of time. ......................................................
    so say I sEVERally of Sir PHILIP *SIDNEYS* , Spencers,
    *DANIELS* , Draytons, Shakespeares, and Warners workes; ------------------------------------------------------------------- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outis

<<{OUTIS} (transliteration of Ancient Greek Οὖτις, in capitals ΟΥΤΙΣ, from οὔτις "nobody" or "no one") is an often used pseudonym. Artists, writers and others in public life use this pseudonym in order to hide their identity. The Latin
    equivalent [NEMO] is also often used.

"Outis" was used as a pseudonym by the Homeric hero Odysseus, when he fought the Cyclops Polyphemus, and had put out the monster's eye. Polyphemus shouted in pain to the other Cyclopes of the island that "Nobody" was trying to kill him, so no one came to
    his rescue. The story of the Cyclops can be found in the Odyssey, book 9. The name Nobody can be found in five different lines of Book 9.

First of all in line 366: "Cyclops, you asked my noble name, and I will tell it; but do you give the stranger's gift, just as you promised. My name is Nobody. Nobody I am called by mother, father, and by all my comrades."

Then in line 369: So I spoke, and from a ruthless heart he straightway answered: "Nobody I eat up last, after his comrades; all the rest first; and that shall be the stranger's gift for you."

Then in line 408: Then in his turn from out the cave big Polyphemus answered: "Friends, Nobody is murdering me by craft. Force there is none." But answering him in winged words they said: "If nobody harms you when you are left alone, illness which comes
    from mighty Zeus you cannot fly. But make your prayer to your father, lord Poseidon".

In line 455: "Are you sorry because that wicked Nobody brought your master down with drink and blinded him?".

And in line 460: "I should thus have some revenge for the harm that no-good Nobody has done me".>>
    -------------------------------------------------------------------- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odysseus#Name,_etymology,_and_epithets

<<Relatively little is given of Odysseus' background other than that according to Pseudo-Apollodorus, his paternal grandfather or step-grandfather is Arcesius, son of Cephalus and grandson of Aeolus, while his maternal grandfather is the thief Autolycus,
    son of Hermes and Chione. Hence, Odysseus was the great-grandson of the Olympian god Hermes.

According to the Iliad and Odyssey, his father is Laertes and his mother Anticlea, although there was a non-Homeric tradition that Sisyphus was his true father. The rumour went that Laërtes bought Odysseus from the conniving king. Odysseus is said to
    have a younger sister, Ctimene, who went to Same to be married and is mentioned by the swineherd Eumaeus, whom she grew up alongside, in book 15 of the Odyssey

The form Ὀδυσ(σ)ες Odys(s)eus is used starting in the epic period and through the classical period, but various other forms are also found. In Latin, he was known as Ulixēs or (considered less correct) Ulyssēs. The change between d and l is
    common also in some Indo-European and Greek names,and the Latin form is supposed to be derived from the Etruscan Uthuze.

The etymology of the name is unknown. Ancient authors linked the name to the Greek verbs odussomai (ὀδσσομαι) “to be wroth against, to hate”, to oduromai (ὀδρομαι) “to lament, bewail”, or even to ollumi (ὄλλυμι) “to
    perish, to be lost”. Homer relates it to various forms of this verb in references and puns. In Book 19 of the Odyssey, where Odysseus' early childhood is recounted, Euryclea asks the boy's grandfather Autolycus to name him. Euryclea seems to suggest a
    name like Polyaretos, "for he has much been prayed for" (πολυάρητος) but Autolycus "apparently in a sardonic mood" decided to give the child another name commemorative of "his own experience in life": "Since I have been angered (ὀδυσσάμ
    νος odyssamenos) with many, both men and women, let the name of the child be Odysseus". Odysseus often receives the patronymic epithet Laertiades (Λαερτιάδης), "son of Laërtes". In the Iliad and Odyssey there are several further epithets
    used to describe Odysseus.>> ------------------------------------------------------------ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartholomew_the_Apostle

<<The account of Bartholomew, patron saint of {TANNERS}, being skinned alive in Albanopolis, Macedon, is the most represented in works of art, and consequently Bartholomew is often shown with a large knife, holding his own skin (as in Michelangelo's Last
    Judgment), or both. Archaeological research has shown that the cult of Saint Bartholomew began in Avezzano, because the previous presence of a temple dedicated to Heracles, which is always represented in the act of holding the skin of the Nemean Lion.
    There is, therefore, a solid relationship between the two iconographies and the re-semantization of the symbols Heracles/Physical Strength/Hero and Bartholomew/Power of Faith/Hero-Martyr. Bartholomew plays a part in *FRANCIS BACON's* Utopian tale New
    Atlantis, about a mythical isolated land, [BEN]{SALEM}, populated by a people dedicated to reason and natural philosophy. Some twenty years after the ascension of Christ the people of [BEN]{SALEM} found an ark floating off their shore. The ark contained
    a letter as well as the books of the Old and New Testaments. The letter was from Bartholomew the Apostle and declared that an angel told him to set the ark and its contents afloat. Thus the scientists of [BEN]{SALEM} received the revelation of the Word
    of God.>>
    -----------------------------------------------
    . . . Hamlet (Folio/Quarto 2) Act 5, scene 2
    Laertes: It is heere Hamlet, thou art slaine,
    . No medcin in the world can doe thee g[O]od,
    . In thee there is n{O}t halfe an ho{U}res life,
    . The {T}reacherous {I}nstrument i{S} in [M]y hand
    . Vn[B]at[E|D} a[N]{D EN}ue{N}o{M}'d, th{E} fou{L}e pr{A}cti{S}e
    . Hath turn'd it selfe on me, loe h[E]ere I lie
    . Neuer to rise againe, thy mother's poysned,
    . I can no more, the King, the Ki[N]gs too blame. ..................................................
    . . .<= 11 =>
    . I n t .h. e e t h e r e
    . i s n {O} t h a l f e a
    . n h o {U} r e s l i f e,
    . T h e {T} r e a c h e r
    . o u s {I} n s t r u m e
    . n t i {S} i n[M]y h a n d
    {OUTIS} 11
    [NEMO] -64
    . . <= 4 =>
    . .V. n [B] a
    . .t [E]{D} a
    . [N] {D E N}
    . .u. e {N} o
    . {M}'d .t. h
    . {E} f .o. u
    . {L} e .p. r
    . {A} c .t. i
    . {S} e
    [BEN] . . 3
    {SALEM}. -4
    {NED}. 1,-4
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    . Sonnet 81 : Only *EPITAPH* mentioned in Sonnets:
    . OR I sh(ALL) liue your *EPITAPH* to mak[E],
    .[O]r you {S}uruiue whe[N] I in earth am rott[E]n,
    . From HENC{E} yo{U}r [M|E}mo{R}y d{E}ath cann[O]t take,
    .{A}lthough in me each part will be (FOR)gotten.

.*YOUR NAME* from HE[N]c[E] i[M]m[O]rtall {L}ife shall haue,
    . Though I (once g(ONE)) to all the world must dye,
    . The earth can ye{E}ld me but a commo[N] graue,
    . When you intombed in mens eyes shall lye,
    . Your monu{M}ent shall be my g[E]ntle verse,
    . Which eyes not yet created shall ore-read,
    . And toungs to be, your [B]eeing shall rehearse,
    . When all the breathers of this world are dead.
    . You still shall liue (such vertue hath my Pen)
    . Where breath most breaths, euen in the mouths of men. ............................................................................... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <= 61 =>
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .O RIs hALL l iu e y o u r*E P IT A P H*t o m a k[E]
    [O]ryou {S} uruiuewhe[N]Iin e arthamrott[E]n F rom HENC{E}yo{U}r[M|E}m o{R}yd{E}a t h c a n n[O]
    .t take {A} lthoughin m eea c hpartwillb[E]F[O]Rgo tten*Y OU R N A M E*f r om H E[N]C[E]i[M]m[O]
    .r tall {L} ifeshallh a ueT h oughIonceg[O]N[E]toa llth e wo r l d m u s t dy e T h e e a r t h
    .c anye {E} ldmebutac[O]mmo[N]graueWheny o u i nto mbed i nm e n s e y e s sh a l l l y e Y o u
    .r monu {M} entshallb[E]myg[E]ntleverseW h i c hey esno t ye t c r e a t e ds h a l l o r e r e
    .a dAnd .t. oungstobe y our[B]eeingshall r e h ear seWh e na l l t h e b r ea t h e r s o f t h
    .i swor .l. daredead
    {EUERE} . 3
    [NEMO] 2,15
    [BEN] . -61
    {SALEM}. 61 : Prob. of [BEN]{SALEM} in this Sonnet ~ 1 in 215 ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    . Satiro-mastix. OR _The vntrussing of the Humorous Poet._
    ._As it hath bin presented publikely_,
    . by the Right Honorable, the Lord Chamberlaine
    . his Seruants; and priuately, by the
    . Children of Paules.
    . . . By _Thomas Dekker_.
    _Non recito cuiquam nisi_ Amicis _idq; coactus_.
    . LONDON, Printed for _Edward White_, and are to bee
    . solde at his shop, neere the little North doore of
    . Paules Church, at the signe of the Gun. 1602. ......................................................................... ......................................................................... _Min._ I thinke (sauing your reuerence) Sir Adam a puppy,
    . for a dog is the most louing creature to a christian that is,
    . vnles it be a childe.

_Sir Ad._ No, I thinke if loue should bee turn’d away, and goe
    . to serue any beast, it must bee an Ape, and my reason----

_Sir Vaugh._ Sir Adam, an Ape? ther’s no more reason in an Ape,
    . than in a very plaine Monkey; for an Ape has no tayle, but we
    . all know, or tis our duty to know, loue has two tailes; In my
    . sudsment, if loue be a beast, that beast is a bunce of Reddis;
    . for a bunce of Reddis is wise meate without Mutton, and so is loue.

_Mi._ Ther’s the yawning Captaine (sauing your reuerence that has such
    . a sore mouth) would [O]ne day {N|E]edes p{E|R]swade {M|E], that l{O|V]e
    . was a R[E]bato; an[D] his reason was (sauing your reuerence) that a
    . Rebato was worne out with pinning too often; and so he said loue was. .........................................................................
    . . . <= 7 =>
    . w o u l .d [O] n
    . e d a y {N}[E] e
    . d e s p {E}[R] s
    . w a d e {M}[E],t
    . h a t l {O}[V] e
    . w a s a .R [E] b
    . a t o; a n [D]
    {NEMO}. . 7
    [DEVERE] -7 ......................................................................... ......................................................................... _Hor._ It’s well Sir, I ha strength to beare yours mee thinkes; fore
    . God you are growne a piece of a Critist, since you fell into my hands:
    . ah little roague, your wit has pickt vp her crums prettie and well.

_Asi._ Yes faith, I finde my wit a the mending hand Ningle; troth
    . I doe not thinke but to proceede Poetaster next Commencement, if I {H}aue
    . my grace perfectli{E}: everie one that confer {W}ith me now, stop [T]heir
    . no{S}e i[N] merriment, [A]nd {S}weare I [S]mell somew[H]a{T} of Horac[E]; one . calles m{E} Horaces Ape, another H{O}races Beagle, and such {POETICALL NAMES} . it passes. I was but at Barbers last day, and when he was rencing my face,
    . did but crie out, fellow [T]hou makst me _Co[N]niue_ too long, & s[A]yes
    . he, Master _A[S]inius Bubo_, you [H]aue eene Horac[E]s wordes as right
    . as if he had spit them into your mouth. .......................................................
    . . . . <= 10 =>
    . I {H} a v .e. m .y. g .r a
    . c .e. p e .r. f .e. c .t l
    . i {E} e v .e. r .i. e .o n
    . e .t. h a .t. c .o. n .f e
    . r {W} i t .h. m .e. n .o w,
    . s .t. o p [T] h .e. i .r n
    . o {S} e i [N] m .e. r .r i
    . m .e. n t,[A] n .d {S} w e
    . a .r. e I [S] m .e. l .l s
    . o .m. e w [H] a {T} o .f H
    . o .r. a c [E]
    {HEWS}. . 20
    [T.NASHE] 10
    . . . . . <= 13 =>
    . .c. r i e o u t,f e l l o w
    . [T] h o u m a k s t m e_C o
    . [N] n i u e_t o o l o n g&s
    . [A] y e s h e,M a s t e r_A
    . [S] i n i u s B u b o_y o u
    . [H] a u e e e n e H o r a c
    . [E] s w o r d e s a s r i g
    . .h. t a s i f h e h a d s p
    . .i. t t h e m i n t o y o u
    . .r. m o u t h.
    [T.NASHE] 13 : Prob. of both in speech ~ 1 in 875,000
    Prob. in any Satiro-mastix speech ~ 1 in 5,000 ........................................................
    . . . . . . . .<= 19 =>
    . I {H}a v e m y g r a c e p e r f e c t
    . l .i{E}e v e r i e o n e t h a t c o n
    . f .e r{W}i t h m e n o w,s t o p[T]h e
    . i .r n o{S}e i[N]m e r r i m e n t[A]n
    . d {S}w e a r e I[S]m e l l s o m e w[H]
    . a {T}o f H o r a c[E]o n e c a l l e s
    . m {E}H o r a c e s A p e,a n o t h e r
    . H {O}r a c e s B e a g l e,a n d s u c
    . h {P O E T I C A L L N A M E S}
    {POETS} -19
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    John Hall's son-in-law {T}homas {NASH} died in 1647 and was
    buried *IN his TOMBE* to the immediate right of W.Shakspere.

. . His namesake {T}homas {NASHE} (1567-1601) wrote:
    "How would it have joyed brave TALBOT (the terror of the French)
    to think that after he had lyne two hundred yeares *IN his TOMBE*,
    hee should triumphe again on the Stage, and have his bones newe
    embalmed with the teares of ten thousand spectators at least;"
    . -- _Pierce Penilesse his Supplication to the DIUEL_(1592) ...................................................................
    Elizabeth Hall Nash's next husband was Sir John Bernard of Abbington
    _________*ABB(ING)TO(N) BERNARD*
    _________*ABBOT BERNARD (GINN)*
    . "Mellifluous Doctor" *ABBOT BERNARD* led {DANTE} through heaven. ---------------­--------------------------------------­-----------
    _Haue with you to Saffron-walden_
    was printed at London by {I}ohn {DANTE/R} in 1596
    when {T.NASHE} was living with Mr. & Mrs. {I}ohn {DANTE/R}

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A08003.0001.001/1:1?rgn=div1;view=fulltext

"Page, hee beginnes with one 100. againe to make it seeme little,
    (if I lye you may look and conuince mee); & in halfe a quire
    of paper besides, hath left the Pages vnfigured. I haue
    read that the Gian{T} A{N}t{A}u{S} S{H}i{E}ld
    askt a whole Elephants hyde to couer it"

{T.NASHE} 2
    Leviticus 15:26 ...whatsoever she sitteth upon shall be unclean,
    as {T}he u{N}cle{A}nne{S}s of {H}er s{E}paration.

{T.NASHE} 4 : Shortest skip ELS {T.NASHE} in modern KJV ---------------------------------------------------
    . Sonnet 76 : 4 X 19 (Metonic cycle)
    . . . . . <= 19 =>
    . .E V E R {T} h e s a m e[A]n d k(E|E)p e
    . .i n u(E){N}(T)i o n i n a*N O T(E)D W(E)
    . .E D*T h {A}(T)E V E R y w o r(D|D]o t h
    . .a l m o {S}(T)F E L m[Y]n a m<E>S h e w
    . .i n g t {H}[E]i r b i r t h a n d w h e
    . [R]e t h {E} y(D)i d p r o c e[E]d
    {T.NASHE} 19 Prob. skip < 20 ~ 1 in 450

[only *TNASHE* in Sonnets of any skip!] -------------------------------------------------------------
    Francis Meres (1565–1647) From Palladis Tamia
    [A Comparatiue Discourse] Start of Last 3000 Words: ...........................................................
    As Terence for his translations out of Apollodorus and Menander, and Aquilius for
    his translation out of Menander, and C. Germanicus Augustus for his out of Aratus,
    and Ausonius for his translated Epigrams out of Greeke, and Doctor Iohnson for his Frogge-fight out of Homer, and Watson for his Antigone out of Sophocles, have
    got good commendations: so these versifiers for their learned translations are of
    good note among vs, Pha[E]r for Virgil’s Æneads, Golding for Ouid’s Metamorp[H]osis,
    Harington for his Orlando Furioso, the Tran[S]lators of Seneca’s Tragedies, Barnabe
    Googe for P[A]lingenius, Turb{E}ruile for Ouid’s Epistles and Ma[N]tuan, and Chapman for his inchoate {H}omer.
    As the La[T]ines haue these Emblematists, Andreas Alciatus, Reu{S}nerus, and Sambucus: so we haue these, Geffrey Whitney, Andrew Willet, {A}nd Thomas Combe. As Nonnus Panapolyta writ the Gospell of Saint Ioh{N} in Greeke hexameters:
    so Iervis Markham hath written Salomon’s Can{T}icles in English verse. ..............................
    [T.NASHE] -41
    {T.NASHE} -56 : Prob. close [T.NASHE] pair near PT end ~ 1 in 4,000 -------------------------------------------------------------------- http://sicttasd.tripod.com/trimcopy.html

[continued in next message]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)